• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic 1 & 2 Master System/GG - 8Bit Blast Processing!

RK128

Sonic_the_Hedgehog_8-bit_cover.jpg
Sonic_the_Hedgehog_2_Coverart.png

Hello! Next up on the Retrospective is the Master System & Game Gear versions of Sonic 1 & 2.

So, why didn't I cover these with my normal Sonic 1 & 2 threads? Because they are very, very different games. New zones, changed level designs, no special stages, collecting the Chaos Emeralds within stages and 0-Ring Boss Fights; quite the difference!

So, lets go to the stories for each game!

Sonic 1 is the same as the Genesis/Mega Drive version; Dr. Robotnik invades Sonic's home and he fights back. But Sonic 2's story is a bit different; Dr. Robotnik capture's Tails and its up to Sonic to collect the Chaos Emeralds; if he doesn't collect all seven and give them to Robotnik, Tails is goner!

hqdefault.jpg

This leads to both games being quite different zone wise from the 'main' versions of the game. Sonic 1 MS has unique zones such as Bridge Zone, Jungle Zone and Sky Base but the main zones (Labyrinth, Green Hill, Scrap Brain) are still present. Sonic 2 MS has entirely unique places for the entire game (outside of a return to Green Hill).

Jungle.png

So, we got two new adventures to blast through! Can we process this experience ;)?

sonic_facepalm_by_sonicthehedgehogfanm-d5eunfz.png

Sorry, sorry; tired joke XD!

- - - - - - - - - - -

Sonic 1 MS/GG's level design is a lot more focused on being balanced with speed/platforming, compared to the original Genesis/MegaDrive versions which had speed-focused levels (Green Hill, Spring Yard, Star Light) and platforming focused-levels (Labryth, Marble). This allows the game to be more enjoyable in some respects.....but the level design can be a bit prick-ish at points.

latest

See these? They are going to be your best friend in Sonic 1 & 2 MS/GG, as they are all over the place. You don't die when you touch them, only lose rings but these alongside bottomless pits make level design focused on you being very careful through levels.

But its a great challenge and is rewarding! ......In the Master System version. Sonic 1 & 2 on the Game Gear has bad screen-crunch, so you can't see everything around you. It is really, really bad with Sonic 2 Game Gear......as this it makes things a lot harder then they really have the right to be.

Take this boss for example:
best_sonic_boss_ever_by_amazingtrout-d340yie.png

You can't see the balls landing on the ground, so you can't avoid them to let them attack the robot in the pit; you will die a lot :(. This is where the Gems Collection comes into play!

You can make quick-saves and restart from any point you had trouble with. I played these games using Sonic Adventure DX (Sonic 1 GG) and Gems Collection (Sonic 2 GG) so it helped a lot and made this issue more managable :).

- - - - - - - -

Now that I got my biggest issue out of the way, lets talk about the levels in detail!

B8vUJejCIAAYHsA.jpg

Looks like Sonic is excited to learn about the levels XD!

Okay, Sonic 1's stages are like I mentioned before, focused on melding platforming + speed and in my mind, it does it a bit better then Sonic. Manly from it being more consistant. Every level has a decent amount of speed vs in the Genesis version where you have two long zones with a major focus on slow platforming (Marble and Labryinth)..

Sonic 2's stages are home to a number of fun gimmicks to play with. Take Sky High Zone for example. Sonic has this hang glider he can use to fly across the stage, controlling a bit like Cape Mario from Mario World:
Skyhigh2.png

If you nail the controls using this, you can fly past a lot of the zone. Or you can take the platforming focused path (filled with spikes) on the ground. Or, you can use your speed to stay on the middle path and use the cloud springs to say in the air for a long time.

It was one of my favorite zones in the game :). Every zone in Sonic 2 Game Gear works like this and it allows for some really fun platforming :D!
Skyhigh.png

So overall thoughts on level design? Solid and it does a great job emuating the 'Sonic' feel the Genesis games focus on.

- - - - - - -

Next up is the presentation and it does a good job.

Art style for both games are simple (due to the 8-bit nature) but they stick out well to the point that they are quite nice looking.

Sonic_the_Hedgehog_2_JUE-02.gif

The music for both games rocks, as while we got some remixes for Sonic 1, Sonic 2 is entirely new tracks with one notable exception.
Sky High Zone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_QKxaEKoSo8&list=PL6akIKaXBeU1J2_xF-Zk7i1cu4ug8PD70&index=24
Green Hills: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBgCuXy8T7s&list=PL6akIKaXBeU1J2_xF-Zk7i1cu4ug8PD70&index=15
Boss Theme (Sonic 2): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QhqlG6FO-gc&list=PL6akIKaXBeU1J2_xF-Zk7i1cu4ug8PD70&index=6
Aqua Lake Zone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Qmf8lp7feU&index=3&list=PL6akIKaXBeU1J2_xF-Zk7i1cu4ug8PD70
Ending Theme (Master System): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LA2ed5SXGu8&index=11&list=PL6akIKaXBeU1J2_xF-Zk7i1cu4ug8PD70
Good Ending Theme: http://api.viglink.com/api/click?fo...t=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=245ea71VCE8
Gimmick Mountain Zone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dn84TBeqh-I&index=14&list=PL6akIKaXBeU1J2_xF-Zk7i1cu4ug8PD70
Green Hill (Sonic 1): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pVUK0h2fvJM&index=3&list=PL16768DBC15D73A37
Bridge Zone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EkS_X6_KMno&list=PL16768DBC15D73A37&index=4
Sky Base Zone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-NFkp1gUC90&list=PL16768DBC15D73A37&index=8
Boss Theme (Sonic 1): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xUHYLWQfYe4&list=PL16768DBC15D73A37&index=12
Scrap Brain Zone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Dch9D8HPeo&list=PL16768DBC15D73A37&index=7
Life Lost: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nq4Fsa3O0AA&list=PL16768DBC15D73A37&index=15
Boss Theme (Game Gear): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QMtc6ao5uQM

Both of these games have amazing music and they stand alongside the other iconic tracks from the Classic Era :).

latest

Also interesting is that Sonic 1 GG/Master System was going to have Marble Zone! NeoGaffer Ferr986 corrected me regarding the ending themes but also brought attention to this track: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uU6T5pb9nhs This is Marble Zone's 8-Bit rendition....so it was likely meant for a real Marble Zone in Sonic 1 GG/MS but they ran out of time or something and never put it in the final game (though its hidden away inside the rom). Thank you for sharing this with us man :D!

- - - - - - - - -

So, overall thoughts on these two gems? Really fun platforms that while very hard, well worth playing! Some of the best games from this Era for Sonic and stands right next to the Genesis games in my book.

Honestly was surprised with these two games and being surprised was one of the reasons I started this retrospective; revisiting games I thought were bad or thought were 'Meh'. But, my mind completely changed with these two games; iconic classics that everyone should give a look :D!

hqdefault.jpg

......Just play the Master System versions though; the screen crunch is my only major issue and the Master System version fixes that.
- - - - - - - - -

Next up for the Retrospective is a racing game and I'm sure we are going to have a drift of a time ;).
429941-sonicdrift01_32.png

I played the game gear versions more than the genesis ones. Never had a genesis.

Sonic 1 on gg is really good.

Sonic 2 is a real bastard. It must have taken me weeks to figure out how to beat that first boss and dodge the bouncing balls. This was made much much worse because of the smaller game gear screen size. You could barely see the balls coming before they would hit you.

Then I never was able to master the hang glider and find some kind of hidden chaos emerald or something.

Finished the first game many times and the other sonic games on game gear but sonic 2 was too tough.

RK128

I played the game gear versions more than the genesis ones. Never had a genesis.

Sonic 1 on gg is really good.

Sonic 2 is a real bastard. It must have taken me weeks to figure out how to beat that first boss and dodge the bouncing balls. This was made much much worse because of the smaller game gear screen size. You could barely see the balls coming before they would hit you.

Then I never was able to master the hang glider and find some kind of hidden chaos emerald or something.

Finished the first game many times and the other sonic games on game gear but sonic 2 was too tough.

Game Gear Sonic 2 was really rough X(. The screen crunch does a lot to make things more cheap :(.

Mr-Joker

Banned
I play them and to be honest while they are good game, I can't help but feel that Sonic lost something by going 8-bit.

He was clearly better suited to be in 16-bit.

RK128

I play them and to be honest while they are good game, I can't help but feel that Sonic lost something by going 8-bit.

He was clearly better suited to be in 16-bit.

Sonic 'feels' different here then he does in 16-bit, so I completely understand what you are saying.

Its still Sonic and its still fun :). But I will agree that the Genesis games are still better then these two games. The fact they are close to them in quality (to me at least) is impressive though, so it was a nice surprise to me XD.

lazygecko

Sonic 'feels' different here then he does in 16-bit, so I completely understand what you are saying.

Its still Sonic and its still fun :). But I will agree that the Genesis games are still better then these two games. The fact they are close to them in quality (to me at least) is impressive though, so it was a nice surprise to me XD.

What's different is that all the comparatively advanced physics of the 16-bit games have to be either removed or faked/pre-scripted. You can easily tell during segments where you go over a loop or run up a sloped wall that it just feels a lot more stiff. All of that is done dynamically in real time in the Genesis games which is what makes it feel so much more fluid.

Andrefpvs

Sonic 1 for the Master System was my childhood Sonic game, since I never had a Mega Drive.

I played it a lot, but I never beat it as a kid. I remember getting to what I think is the last level, and turning off the console by accident when trying to pause the game (the Pause button on the Master System II is on the console itself). Never again did I get there.

Nice job on mentioning the music, OP. There are some sweet tunes in these games. Off the top of my head, the Bridge and Jungle themes from Sonic 1 have always stuck with me.

I would definitely rebuy these games if they were released digitally on PSN/Steam. They are surprisingly different from the Mega Drive games, and stand well on their own.

When I first played these games as a kid, I always thought Tails got shot in the head when you get the bad ending (didn't collect all chaos emeralds).

Sonic 2 on Game Gear was my first game I ever had. Scrambled Egg Zone is probably my favorite Sonic song of all time.

RK128

What's different is that all the comparatively advanced physics of the 16-bit games have to be either removed or faked/pre-scripted. You can easily tell during segments where you go over a loop or run up a sloped wall that it just feels a lot more stiff. All of that is done dynamically in real time in the Genesis games which is what makes it feel so much more fluid.

That explains why Sonic (Tails in Sonic Chaos/Triple Trouble) animate so slow when going through loops.....

Its impressive they got the 'speed' part of Sonic down on 8-bit hardware to begin with, so thank you for sharing that bit of information :D.

RK128

Sonic 1 for the Master System was my childhood Sonic game, since I never had a Mega Drive.

I played it a lot, but I never beat it as a kid. I remember getting to what I think is the last level, and turning off the console by accident when trying to pause the game (the Pause button on the Master System II is on the console itself). Never again did I get there.

Nice job on mentioning the music, OP. There are some sweet tunes in

I would definitely rebuy these games if they were released digitally on PSN/Steam. They are surprisingly different from the Mega Drive games, and stand well on their own.

No problem :). The music rocks in both games, so had to cover that!

Its a shame both of these are hidden away in either collections (Sonic 2 GG) or as part of the GC release of Sonic Adventure DX (Sonic 1 GG).

snaffles

I played so much Sonic 1 on the Master System as a kid, it would easily be near the top of my most played games on the system along with Psycho Fox, Wonder Boy 3:Dragon's Trap, and Castle of Illusion.
I always preferred the way the chaos emeralds were hidden in the stages in the Master System version over the way it was handled in the Mega Drive version. I spent so much time exploring all of the levels to find them.

RK128

I played so much Sonic 1 on the Master System as a kid, it would easily be near the top of my most played games on the system along with Psycho Fox, Wonder Boy 3:Dragon's Trap, and Castle of Illusion.
I always preferred the way the chaos emeralds were hidden in the stages in the Master System version over the way it was handled in the Mega Drive version. I spent so much time exploring all of the levels to find them.

I liked that part of the game too; allows for the higher path portions of levels to be far more rewarding and it rewards people going out of the way to explore levels.

I have both Sonic 1 and Sonic 2 for the Game Gear. Sonic 1 was great, I had it since I was like 12 and would play it all the time on my Game Gear. Really fantastic music too by Yuzo Koshiro. The first boss in Sonic 2 on the Game Gear still gives me nightmares. It took me forever to pass him, but everything after that wasn't so bad. Still a good game overall.

TreIII

Completing Sonic 2 GG when I was like 9-10 will always be one of my main merit badges as a gamer. Still have a small spot for it, all the same. Sonic 1 GG, on the other hand, is a pretty solid game, over all.

Honestly preferred how these games emphasized exploration, such that even the Emeralds (could they really be called that in S1 when they were all blue?!) were tucked away in the levels themselves. I also liked how Sonic 2 GG started the welcome trend on the 8-bit games where Robotnik/Eggman gave you other bosses to fight and he only waited for you as the Final/True Final Boss of the title.

...But I'll guess we'll get to that more when you start talking about the Sonic & Tails series (aka Sonic Chaos and Triple Trouble).

Sonic 2 on the Master System was amazing. The minecarts, the hang gliders etc.
I used to be able to finish it collecting all 6 Chaos Emeralds as a kid..

RK128

Completing Sonic 2 GG when I was like 9-10 will always be one of my main merit badges as a gamer. Still have a small spot for it, all the same. Sonic 1 GG, on the other hand, is a pretty solid game, over all.

Honestly preferred how these games emphasized exploration, such that even the Emeralds (could they really be called that in S1 when they were all blue?!) were tucked away in the levels themselves. I also liked how Sonic 2 GG started the welcome trend on the 8-bit games where Robotnik/Eggman gave you other bosses to fight and he only waited for you as the Final/True Final Boss of the title.

...But I'll guess we'll get to that more when you start talking about the Sonic & Tails series (aka Sonic Chaos and Triple Trouble).

Yep :). Making a thread covering both games at once (to make up for Triple Trouble losing in the Twitter Poll), so will highlight that element a lot.

They are really solid games honestly, so should be a lot of fun covering them! Triple Trouble in particular is a really great game for it doing some things different with Sonic but in smart ways.

Phediuk

Remember how horseshit the pipe maze in Scrambled Egg Zone was?

You literally had no idea where a given pipe would send you, and a lot of them just sent you to spike pits. lol.

RK128

You literally had no idea where a given pipe would send you, and a lot of them just sent you to spike pits. lol.

Don't remind me X(. The games are fun, but they have some really annoying elements.

Aquatic Lake Zone is really annoying for this, as Chaos Emerald is on the left-side of a wall but you have to be very careful; you roll into moving walls and if you don't hold left, you will miss out on the Emerald.

Gimmick Mountain Zone is really annoying with this too, with one Chaos Emerald being inside a wall.....and you have no idea how to get there X(.

Edit: Just a heads up for anyone interested; I am making three more Retrospectives this year after I finish this Sonic one, but I held a poll on Twitter for them (Jak & Daxter, Ratchet & Clank, Crash Bandicoot) and it looks like Crash is winning XD! If you guys want to vote, here is the link: https://twitter.com/RK1283/status/701464807065706496

I'm still doing all three, but the winners go first. But I might do things a bit differently (as these series don't have NEARLY the amount of games Sonic does XD!), so it might determine the rotation I cover them in instead (Ex: Crash 1, then Jak & Daxter and lastly Ratchet for one week)

RK128

When I first played these games as a kid, I always thought Tails got shot in the head when you get the bad ending (didn't collect all chaos emeralds).

Sonic 2 on Game Gear was my first game I ever had. Scrambled Egg Zone is probably my favorite Sonic song of all time.

The ending for Sonic 2 on Game Gear was quite dark; it implies that you didn't save Tails and he 'died' which.....was quite unnerving for a game introducing a new character only for him to die O_O!

Still, the ending theme is my favorite track in the game and its a really great way to close the game (more so if you get the Good ending).

JMTHEFOX

Sonic 2 on 8-bit was hard as fuck, even beyond impossible for me. Can't get past the first zone with leaps of faith and spike placement all over the place. Coming from a Sonic fan who is not good at Sonic.

It has some good music though. Best song for me was Green Hills Zone because Sonic CD JP intro reference.

Two of my favourite games.

Sonic 2 is hard, but there are so many hidden 1-ups that your lives ought to be off the scale (literally) after Underground Zone.

Ferr986

Sonic 1 SMS is where all started for me. After seeing my cousin with his new MS playing Sonic 1, I needed one too lol

I love both Sonic 1 & 2 on the MS, but they have to be played there because the GG version of 2 fucks you up with the screen.

I think they hold up their own against the 16-bit version, because they are totally different games. A better decision that making just downports.

Btw, It is speculated that Sonic 1 SMS was going to be closer to the 16-bit version, after finging Marble Zone track on the 8-bit version.

The ending for Sonic 2 on Game Gear was quite dark; it implies that you didn't save Tails and he 'died' which.....was quite unnerving for a game introducing a new character only for him to die O_O!

Still, the ending theme is my favorite track in the game and its a really great way to close the game (more so if you get the Good ending).

The GG version had two tracks, one for the bad and one for the good ending. The SMS version uses the bad theme in both endings. And yeah that track is the best Sonic 8-bit composition.

Overall, the Game Gear versions were more refined. Sonic 1 had a different sprite, some backgroung changes in jungle zone, and some level design changes in Labyrinth Zone.

Oddly, Sonic 2 used Sonic 1's old SMS sprite. It also have some color changes in the underwater zone, and the ending tracks thing.

Sonic 2 8-bits music was composed by Sonic CD JP composers.

LOL that was my Sonic 2 8-bit nightmare, not the first boss.

It's amazing that Sonic 1 8bit was by Ancient and Sonic 2 8bit was by Aspect, who'd go on to make most of the rest of the 8bit games (aside from Tails Sky Patrol which was by SIMS Co. Ltd).

Ancient was formed by none other than legendary composer Yuzo Koshiro, and also Ancient helped with the Streets of Rage series IIRC. Also they just recently made Protect Me Knight 2 for the 3DS eShop which will be released in the west in the year 20-whenever.

Aspect would go on to make the Naruto Ninja Council games on GBA, as well as Thundercats on DS, and Power Rangers Megaforce on 3DS.

SIMS would help do Sega Bass Fishing ports (and even made Sega Marine Fishing themselves), and make their own fishing games like Hooked Real Motion Fishing (and its sequel Hooked Again) on Wii, and Fish On for 3DS and Fish On Next on Vita (all of these got localized). They also did that Beyblade game on 3DS, hell they made a hunting game on Wii which got a 360 game by another dev which came over to NA as Field & Stream, but the Wii version by SIMS only ever came out in EU.

And that's your Sonic dev history lesson for today. ;)

RK128

Sonic 1 SMS is where all started for me. After seeing my cousin with his new MS playing Sonic 1, I needed one too lol

I love both Sonic 1 & 2 on the MS, but they have to be played there because the GG version of 2 fucks you up with the screen.

I think they hold up their own against the 16-bit version, because they are totally different games. A better decision that making just downports.

Btw, It is speculated that Sonic 1 SMS was going to be closer to the 16-bit version, after finging Marble Zone track on the 8-bit version.

The GG version had two tracks, one for the bad and one for the good ending. The SMS version uses the bad theme in both endings. And yeah that track is the best Sonic 8-bit composition.

Overall, the Game Gear versions were more refined. Sonic 1 had a different sprite, some backgroung changes in jungle zone, and some level design changes in Labyrinth Zone.

Oddly, Sonic 2 used Sonic 1's old SMS sprite. It also have some color changes in the underwater zone, and the ending tracks thing.

Sonic 2 8-bits music was composed by Sonic CD JP composers.

LOL that was my Sonic 2 8-bit nightmare, not the first boss.

Well that explains Green Hills theme sounding so familiar XD! Thank you for sharing that with us :).

Glad you enjoyed both games :D.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair

Yeah, I always took the bad ending to imply that Tails was killed by Robotnik.

Anyway, I quite like both Sonic 1 and 2 on the MS. The final boss in Sonic 2 is ballcrackingly hard, WAY harder than the final boss in Sonic 2 16-bit.

MrBadger

Loved Sonic 1 on the Master System. I'd say the Megadrive version is better but I prefer the music in the MS version

Bridge Zone
Labyrinth Zone
Scrap Brain Zone

As for 8 bit Sonic 2...I never even made it past the first boss. But apparently that's not uncommon.

Yeah, I always took the bad ending to imply that Tails was killed by Robotnik.

Anyway, I quite like both Sonic 1 and 2 on the MS. The final boss in Sonic 2 is ballcrackingly hard, WAY harder than the final boss in Sonic 2 16-bit.

Yeah, that shit looks ridiculous.

My first console I actually owned was a Master System and these two games were part of that package.
Unfortunately I don't have much to say about Sonic 2, younger me never figured out how to work the hang-glider for the second zone while current me loathes the first boss with all my heart so I've never given it a proper shake.

Sonic 1 MS on the other hand is rad, a really competent platformer that I'd take over the Mega Drive counterpart any day.
Jungle Zone is dope, the music is great (good ol' Koshiro) and there's no marble zone so yeah it's my official Sonic 1.
Also neat bonus stages that aren't gimmicky BS.

DD

Sonic 1 on the Master System is as good as the best Sonics on Genesis/Mega Drive. Sonic 2 on the Master, though, is fuckin' awful. Terrible, TERRIBLE level designs.

RK128

Sonic 1 on the Master System is as good as the best Sonics on Genesis/Mega Drive. Sonic 2 on the Master, though, is fuckin' awful. Terrible, TERRIBLE level designs.

Sonic 2 MS could be a lot of fun :)......the Game Gear version can be horrid if you don't have save states to play with X(.

I really enjoyed both, so that is why I feel that they are both strong games. But I agree fully that Sonic 1 MS is a really great game!

Ferr986

Btw, THIS is the good ending theme on Sonic 2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=245ea71VCE8

OP have mislabed the bad ending (probably because as I said the SMS version only has 1 ending theme).

And this is the unusued Mabrle Zone found in the Sonic 1 8-bits cartidge

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uU6T5pb9nhs

EDIT: Oh, also forgot, the GG version of Sonic 2 had another boss theme compared to the SMS one. The OP one is the SMS version. This is the GG one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QMtc6ao5uQM

RK128

Btw, THIS is the good ending theme on Sonic 2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=245ea71VCE8

OP have mislabed the bad ending (probably because as I said the SMS version only has 1 ending theme).

And this is the unusued Mabrle Zone found in the Sonic 1 8-bits cartidge

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uU6T5pb9nhs

Thank you for the correction! Will edit the OP now and fix it :). Had no idea they had Marble Zone planed for the Master System/Game Gear version......guess they ran out of time or something?

Ferr986

Thank you for the correction! Will edit the OP now and fix it :). Had no idea they had Marble Zone planed for the Master System/Game Gear version......guess they ran out of time or something?

Cheers! I really love Sonic 2 music! It's a little underapreciatted IMO, but the composers outdid themselves with Sonic CD anyways.

Btw, I don't think the bad ending states that Tails die. In the good ending, you see both Sonic and Tails stars, and that doesn't mean they dead lol. It's probably more like Sonic couldn't find Tails (because he's on the Crystal Egg), and he keeps running looking for him.

bman94

I really liked Sonic 1 GG. For some reason I liked the idea of actually searching for emeralds in the level. Sonic 2 sucks because I'm bad at it :/

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
So I own the GG Sonic 1 and 2 (along with Sonic Chaos and Sonic Triple Trouble) but would like to get the SMS ones... Isn't it just Sonic 1 that got a US SMS release (and it's really rare)? Do PAL SMS games work on US SMS consoles and what Sonic games actually got released for SMS?

Platy

These ports never made much sense to me considering the ads they run for Sonic Mega Drive games.

I mean the whole point of the ads is "Mega Drive does what SNES can't because FUCK YEAH BLAST PROCESSING" and then you port those games to a hardware way weaker than SNES ?

Sonic 2 on the Game Gear was Tails' first appearance, I believe.

I also think that Tails was originally planned to be female, but was changed in the last minute.

Take this boss for example:
best_sonic_boss_ever_by_amazingtrout-d340yie.png

You can't see the balls landing on the ground, so you can't avoid them to let them attack the robot in the pit; you will die a lot :(. This is where the Gems Collection comes into play!

This boss made me pull my hair out as a kid. I still won't play the game because of this.

Luigi87

Another great thread.

I had Sonic 2 on Game Gear, but I never beat it... Hell I rarely ever got past the first Zone... Because of this asshole you mentioned!

People who didn't play it may think "some boss later in the game that's hard to beat?"
No, it's the first FRIGGING BOSS. And the reasoning is everything you explained about the GameGear limitations.
... ugh... ptsd.

Top Bottom