• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic 1 & 2 Master System/GG - 8Bit Blast Processing!

RK128

Another great thread.

I had Sonic 2 on Game Gear, but I never beat it... Hell I rarely ever got past the first Zone... Because of this asshole you mentioned!

People who didn't play it may think "some boss later in the game that's hard to beat?"
No, it's the first FRIGGING BOSS. And the reasoning is everything you explained about the GameGear limitations.
... ugh... ptsd.

Thank you :D! Its a blast to make these threads :).

Shame the Game Gear's issues made what should be a decent boss into an nightmare-inducing battle for Sonic X(.

Great thread!

Sonic 1 and 2 (Master System) were my first ever console games, after spending my childhood on the ZX Spectrum and Commodore 64.

Sonic 1 8-bit has certain things that I prefer to its 16-bit Genesis/Mega Drive counterpart:

-Hidden emeralds in the levels.
-Jungle Zone
-Ruthless, ringless bosses.
-Some fantastic songs.
-The world map.
-The Sky Base Zone and the conclusion to the game, which was far more climactic and exciting than the 16-bit release. Leaping through the electric pylons of Sky Base Act 1, exploring the airship of Sky Base 2, and a fantastic final battle with Robotnik in an electric arena, it was brilliant!
-The bonus ending for getting all the emeralds, as the world map changes to erase Robotnik's pollutants.

Sonic 2 8-bit isn't as audacious as its predecessor, but it has some great strengths:

-Hidden emeralds in bastardly difficult places (Sky High!)
-A secret last world.
-Very unique bosses. Best direct fight with a metal Sonic, because the boss actually moves like Sonic.
-Some really cool mechanics - such as Sonic bouncing across oceans of water.
-INTENSE DIFFICULTY
-Some truly unusual levels with surprising designs - Scrambled Egg and Crystal Egg are unlike anything the series has seen since!
-Very subversive. Starts with a lava-filled underground level, the final zone is a peaceful and tranquil museum, and the re-imagining of Green Hills as a spike-filled nightmare defies expectations.

So yeah, both are great games, often overlooked due to their more famous 16-bit counterparts. Thanks for the trip down memory lane!

Amalthea

Banned
I really wonder if Sonic 2's first level was actually a later level that got put at the beginning for whatever reason. I mean what platformer starts with a lava/minecart-level?

Shifty

Now you speak-a my language! The Master System II with Sonic 1 & 2 was my very first console, I sunk so many hours into those games.

The music still sticks with me to this day- Under Ground Zone, Bridge Zone, Jungle Zone... Ahh, the memories :)

I liked the emeralds being hidden in the stages themselves too. Never was a big fan of the minigamey nature of the 16-bit games' equivalents. Shame about no super form though.

And I always thought Tails would somehow be playable in 2. Sure, him getting kidnapped is the lynchpin of the plot, but he appears in every single zone intro screen! Every last one! Not being able to unlock him upon getting the good ending was super disappointing.

(I never had Chaos or Triple Trouble, so I didn't get to experience playable tails until Gems Collection on the GC years later.)

Excellent thread OP!

Fdkn

I always liked more the Master System Sonic games, specially 2.

The only game I've beaten more times than that one is Alex Kid in Miracle World.

b3b0p

Sonic 2 Game Gear, that kite in the first stage or so (I can't remember).

I couldn't get past that part until about 2 decades later in my twenties. I felt dumb as hell.

Never beat it. I believe I beat Sonic 1 Game Gear. I still have them somewhere.

It took me twenty-four years to find out how the hell you get a Tails signpost at the end of the act in Sonic 2.

It happened to me once when I was a child, and I could never, ever replicate it. You get a free continue if it happens. I was obsessed with trying to do it again, and as this was before the internet, I could not figure out how!

RK128

Great thread!

Sonic 1 and 2 (Master System) were my first ever console games, after spending my childhood on the ZX Spectrum and Commodore 64.

Sonic 1 8-bit has certain things that I prefer to its 16-bit Genesis/Mega Drive counterpart:

-Hidden emeralds in the levels.
-Jungle Zone
-Ruthless, ringless bosses.
-Some fantastic songs.
-The world map.
-The Sky Base Zone and the conclusion to the game, which was far more climactic and exciting than the 16-bit release. Leaping through the electric pylons of Sky Base Act 1, exploring the airship of Sky Base 2, and a fantastic final battle with Robotnik in an electric arena, it was brilliant!
-The bonus ending for getting all the emeralds, as the world map changes to erase Robotnik's pollutants.

Sonic 2 8-bit isn't as audacious as its predecessor, but it has some great strengths:

-Hidden emeralds in bastardly difficult places (Sky High!)
-A secret last world.
-Very unique bosses. Best direct fight with a metal Sonic, because the boss actually moves like Sonic.
-Some really cool mechanics - such as Sonic bouncing across oceans of water.
-INTENSE DIFFICULTY
-Some truly unusual levels with surprising designs - Scrambled Egg and Crystal Egg are unlike anything the series has seen since!
-Very subversive. Starts with a lava-filled underground level, the final zone is a peaceful and tranquil museum, and the re-imagining of Green Hills as a spike-filled nightmare defies expectations.

So yeah, both are great games, often overlooked due to their more famous 16-bit counterparts. Thanks for the trip down memory lane!

No problem man :D! Love the work you do with your threads; the Metroid Prime Development History thread was so interesting to read though (same with the Dead Son thread!), so its a bit of an honor that you really enjoy this thread :).

Keep up the great work and thank you for posting!

RK128

Now you speak-a my language! The Master System II with Sonic 1 & 2 was my very first console, I sunk so many hours into those games.

The music still sticks with me to this day- Under Ground Zone, Bridge Zone, Jungle Zone... Ahh, the memories :)

I liked the emeralds being hidden in the stages themselves too. Never was a big fan of the minigamey nature of the 16-bit games' equivalents. Shame about no super form though.

And I always thought Tails would somehow be playable in 2. Sure, him getting kidnapped is the lynchpin of the plot, but he appears in every single zone intro screen! Every last one! Not being able to unlock him upon getting the good ending was super disappointing.

(I never had Chaos or Triple Trouble, so I didn't get to experience playable tails until Gems Collection on the GC years later.)

Excellent thread OP!

Thank you :D! Happy to spark some memories you had playing this :). Will be covering Chaos and Triple Trouble latter, so hope you look forward to that thread!

I really wonder if Sonic 2's first level was actually a later level that got put at the beginning for whatever reason. I mean what platformer starts with a lava/minecart-level?

I guess its to set the tone of the game that its different from other versions of Sonic 2. No sonic game starts with an underground zone; everyone starts in a green hill-ish location, jungle, beach or city. So its a nice change of pace I must say :).

marmoka

Banned
Probably you guys have discussed about this many times. But just in case, did anybody ever notice about this?

Bridge Zone OST

Bridge Zone?

Considering who her brother was, and some previous cooperation in another game, I guess we should forgive her.

RK128

Probably you guys have discussed about this many times. But just in case, did anybody ever notice about this?

Bridge Zone OST

Bridge Zone?

Considering who her brother was, and some previous cooperation in another game, I guess we should forgive her.

Ah, so the tables got turned; the Jackson Family using Sonic music as inspiration long after they helped out with some of the Sonic 3 soundtrack ;). It sounds like a great song, so hope Janet Jackson got success with that track :).

Mr. Sam

This may be hard to believe but I only just now realised that the game I played all those years ago was the Master System version, hence why all the times I've played the game - i.e. the Genesis version - since have felt off. Holy shit.

This may be hard to believe but I only just now realised that the game I played all those years ago was the Master System version, hence why all the times I've played the game - i.e. the Genesis version - since have felt off. Holy shit.

I did have this feeling at one point in my life myself.

I had both of these games and Sonic Chaos for Game Gear. I can confirm that the first boss of Sonic 2 is a nightmare. I don't believe I was able to beat either game, though Sonic 1 was definitely much easier.

In Sonic 1, I believe I stopped at Labyrinth Zone for whatever reason.

In Sonic 2, I stopped at the Green Hills boss, due to the attack where it goes across the screen then comes back, more because I was simply out of continues by that point. Not having rings during the bosses is such BS.

These ports never made much sense to me considering the ads they run for Sonic Mega Drive games.

I mean the whole point of the ads is "Mega Drive does what SNES can't because FUCK YEAH BLAST PROCESSING" and then you port those games to a hardware way weaker than SNES ?

These games aren't ports. A port is releasing the same game on a different system. These games are completely different from Sonic 1 and 2 on the Mega Drive.

Salads

Neo Member
Timely thread for me as I had just picked up Sonic Gems on the back of blurred Game Gear memories. Thanks.

RK128

Timely thread for me as I had just picked up Sonic Gems on the back of blurred Game Gear memories. Thanks.

Happy to help buddy :D! Its always nice to revisit games you might have never played before or want to replay again :).

Love the art style and sound of the Gems Collection; screams Classic Sonic :D.

you know what this just hit me. i want you to do the same retrospective for the mario games (super mario 1-3 plus world and yoshi island plllllease) since mario and sonic had that rivalry this going on

Sonic for life tho

RK128

you know what this just hit me. i want you to do the same retrospective for the mario games (super mario 1-3 plus world and yoshi island plllllease) since mario and sonic had that rivalry this going on

Sonic for life tho

Mmm........will consider doing that next year maybe :).

Held a twitter poll recently that only has a few hours left, that will decide which series I do a retrospective on next :D. Its Jak & Daxter, Crash, and Ratchet & Clank as ballots :).

Crash is winning by a landslide now and Jak is a bit after (poor Ratchet though; no one is voting for him). All three will be covered but he winner gets covered first :).

Regarding your suggestion, Mario and maybe Mega Man might be on the list for next year, as I can make focused retrospectives on those series (the NES, SNES and early PS2/GC games and maybe some of the Wii games).

Mmm........will consider doing that next year maybe :).

Held a twitter poll recently that only has a few hours left, that will decide which series I do a retrospective on next :D. Its Jak & Daxter, Crash, and Ratchet & Clank as ballots :).

Crash is winning by a landslide now and Jak is a bit after (poor Ratchet though; no one is voting for him). All three will be covered but he winner gets covered first :).

Regarding your suggestion, Mario and maybe Mega Man might be on the list for next year, as I can make focused retrospectives on those series (the NES, SNES and early PS2/GC games and maybe some of the Wii games).

oh okay because i'm really enjoying these retrospectives of yours, its like an lttp but with a lot more effort

Timu

I played these games and enjoyed them and hell even prefer some of the things in them over the Genesis games.

These ports never made much sense to me considering the ads they run for Sonic Mega Drive games.

I mean the whole point of the ads is "Mega Drive does what SNES can't because FUCK YEAH BLAST PROCESSING" and then you port those games to a hardware way weaker than SNES ?

These are not just ports, they are totally different games than the ones in the Megadrive/Genesis - and, in my opinion, the 8 bit games are better than the 16 bit ones, specially the first.

Dizzy

Banned
I loved the first game as a kid, it's really good. I never liked Sonic 2 on the master system though. Also the hand glider was a bitch to use when I was younger.

I thought the GG Sonics were total garbage, but I played them after I played Sonic 1 when it first came out so maybe my judgement was a little clouded.

dhonk

haha I only recently tried that boss after fixing a game gear that came with sonic 2

Holy fuck is that boss hard, couldn't beat it

I had a Game Gear and SNES growing up so I'm more familiar with these than the actual Genesis versions. I only beat Sonic 2 once, man that game is brutal.

Also, OP forgot Sonic Chaos which was a fun game but definitely on the easy side.

RK128

I had a Game Gear and SNES growing up so I'm more familiar with these than the actual Genesis versions. I only beat Sonic 2 once, man that game is brutal.

Also, OP forgot Sonic Chaos which was a fun game but definitely on the easy side.

I didn't forget Sonic Chaos, will be covering that alongside Triple Trouble in the next day or so :).

People who didn't play it may think "some boss later in the game that's hard to beat?"
No, it's the first FRIGGING BOSS. And the reasoning is everything you explained about the GameGear limitations.
... ugh... ptsd.

This. Man, just seeing that picture brought back the memories of this game when I was a kid. What a pain in the ass that boss was.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
This. Man, just seeing that picture brought back the memories of this game when I was a kid. What a pain in the ass that boss was.

I wonder how the final boss is in the GG version. It's hard as shit on MS, so I'd imagine it would be even harder on GG due to the smaller screen.

I've always preferred Triple Trouble on the Game Gear Sunset Park Act 3 still sticks with me today. Great fucking music. It's up there with the Genesis games for me.

Mega

Banned
Don't forget to cover Sonic Pocket Adventure for the NGPC! I bought it recently... haven't gotten around to it yet, but I've read it's apparently one of the best Sonic games ever.

Sonic Pocket Adventure received very positive reviews. IGN gave the game a perfect 10 out of 10 score.[7] Pocket Magazine gave the game 5 stars.[8] Dean Scott of Computer and Video Games Magazine also gave the game 5 stars, praising the single player mode being familiar to the original 3 16-bit games.[9] Gamespot gave the game an 8.3 out of 10, praising the game's graphics, sound, and gameplay, but criticizing the game's short length and its lack of difficulty.[10] Chris Murphy of Retro Gamer gave the game 4.67 out of 5.[11]

RK128

Don't forget to cover Sonic Pocket Adventure for the NGPC! I bought it recently... haven't gotten around to it yet, but I've it's apparently one of the best Sonic games ever.

Don't worry, will cover that one for sure :D. Always wanted to play that game, so now it the perfect excuse to give it a look!

Top Bottom