• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War: UE PC performance thread

This game really recommends a 970?

thats what they recommend for 1080p/60, but its not mentioned at what settings, or if thats an avg 60 or a locked 60. XBone is medium settings according to the developers but it remains to be seen just how much of a visual return higher settings bring, and at what cost to performance.

I have a 770 and am having trouble with the textures. Regardless of whatever I set it the quality to, the environment/weapon textures always look terrible. Haven't seen this posted but I feel like I'm playing a PSOne game. Funny thing is the character models look great. It's like reverse Resident Evil PSOne. Other than that, multiplayer isn't working at all.

I have a 770 and am having trouble with the textures. Regardless of whatever I set it the quality to, the environment/weapon textures always look terrible. Haven't seen this posted but I feel like I'm playing a PSOne game. Funny thing is the character models look great. It's like reverse Resident Evil PSOne. Other than that, multiplayer isn't working at all.

Seems like unless you force a global driver profile for x16 AF, the game doesn't use anisotropic filtering at all. That might be the cause of your blurry textures, unless you're simply referring to the full-detail ones never popping in (a classic UE3 issue).

w0s

Seems like unless you force a global driver profile for x16 AF, the game doesn't use anisotropic filtering at all. That might be the cause of your blurry textures, unless you're simply referring to the full-detail ones never popping in (a classic UE3 issue).
Is it detailed anywhere how to do this?

Is it detailed anywhere how to do this?

If you've got an Nvidia GPU, it's simple:

1. Go to Nvidia Control Panel
  2. Click "Manage 3D settings"
  3. Under "Global settings", select "Anisotropic Filtering"
  4. Select your desired value (from x2 to x16)
  5. Click "Apply" in the lower right corner to apply across all games
Note that this can cause issues in some games, but chances are minimal that it will. In addition, some games might use superior forms of AF (again, these are rare instances), so just be wary of that.

epmode

Gears of War Ultimate Edition isn’t a new implementation of a classic game, it’s built on the same source code and engine as its 10-year-old predecessor. That means everything The Coalition did to bring the game into the modern age, like adding 4K support and higher-quality textures, was done with a version of the Unreal Engine that was barely out of diapers. Not even the latest version of UE3 supports DX12 — but Microsoft decided to stuff it into a decade-old title and shove it into the Windows Store. However they hacked the engine to implement DirectX 12, there’s no way that the 2006-era Unreal engine could ever be considered a good candidate for the process.
MS gonna MS.

But people / benchmarks said that AMD would kill when DX12 eventually arrived?

What's going on?

Just poor launch driver optimization. It'll get ironed out. Maybe.

No idea why it uses DX12 when DX11 worked just fine on Xbox One. It's a proven force, while DX12 is in its infancy. Definitely not the best way to show off DirectX's successor.

Thoroughly expected. Does the high end of the game justify the specifications? From what I have seen posted, it doesn't seem like it

The specs are for the campaign at optimal settings for a 4GB card while running at 1080/60. Considering the X1 version was pretty-but-not-that-pretty (running at 1080/30 in campaign, 1080/60 in multiplayer), that's to be expected. With those recommended settings, I'd wager you could get some exceptional framerates in multiplayer (if the PC version wasn't stuttering like mad on AMD systems). Does Nvidia fare better?

WbupRKZ.jpg

I hope this is cross play or the online population of this game will be dead in record time.

SliChillax

It takes me over 10 minutes to get into the main menu with gsync activated. I can play the game with it disabled but it feels choppy and when I lock the framerate it feels worse than 30fps. Without framerate lock and no gsync I get these weird stuttering and frame skips from time to time. 1440p, i7 5820k, 980ti, 16gb ram

gossi

What's going on?

Although the original press release last June said it would be DirectX 12 based, I own it and, uh, it doesn't appear to load the DX12 API. Maybe I'm just missing something though. I'm busy looking at how universal apps work on a technical level.

dr_rus

What's going on?

Turns out that they weren't lying when they were saying that a dev needs to know his shit if he wants to use DX12 or the game will actually perform much worse than on DX11.

Hopefully The Coalition will patch this eventually.

bathsalts

The performance of these DX12/MS Store efforts make me worry about Quantum Break quite a bit.

Not being an UE3 game with DX12 shoehorned might help, I'd be more concerned based on Alan Wake's pc performance, hope to god gsync is working well on that title so I can brute force the thing at least.

jg4xchamp

Can a 970 run this game on the high settings at 60 faps or no? Also does the framerate lock lock it to 30 or 60? Because I'm down to replay the game, but I want to replay it at 60 frames, some performance issues are whatever, the game wasn't even optimized on the Xbox One.

Carlius

Banned
is this region locked? i bought it but i just realized that i am in the USA store and i am in south america....FML. its downlading

TheRed

Sucks that there seems to not even be local co-op. Like wtf why not? All the other problems is too much as well, I won't be getting anything on the windows store until they fix all of this shit.

Sucks that there seems to not even be local co-op. Like wtf why not? All the other problems is too much as well, I won't be getting anything on the windows store until they fix all of this shit.

Read through the thread. The problems facing GOW:UE are definitely different and related to sewing DX12 into a 10-year old codebase.

Not that upcoming titles won't have some of the UWP limitations to work with, but games like Ashes of the Singularity, Fable Legends, and Quantum Break are all built with DX12/Windows 10 in mind. GOW:UE can't hang with that crowd.

Top Bottom