• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo's first mobile game Miitomo out in Japan now, first English video

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Appstore Link: https://itunes.apple.com/jp/app/miitomo/id1073816197?l=en&mt=8
Android Link: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.nintendo.zaaa

Android APK: https://apkplz.com/android-apps/miitomo-apk-download

~18 minutes of footage.

Video:

And since I know you're all dying to know about monetization, you can earn or buy coins, and also earn clothing in minigames:

miitomo57uwo.png

AppStore Images:

Striek

Nintendo doesn't want to target whales, glad they took the time to innovate the F2P model before coming to market.

watershed

Banned
Since it's free to start, I'll give it a shot when it releases in NA but it doesn't look particularly fun or addictive. We'll see.

HorseFD

I've very interested to find out if it's actually feasible to not pay a dime and earn everything in mini games.

Mik2121

Is the minigame some form of gacha?

Yep. You drop your Mii from a certain height and have him bounce around a pinball-looking thing and hope he lands near the item you want. If he drops all the way down, then you get... candies? Which I don't know what you use them for.

Yukinari

So its a social version of Tomodachi with minigames. I feel like this is totally a Streetpass thing and wont be very popular in many parts of the US.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Yep. You drop your Mii from a certain height and have him bounce around a pinball-looking thing and hope he lands near the item you want. If he drops all the way down, then you get... candies? Which I don't know what you use them for.
It's more pachinko than gacha though.

Regiruler

I saw on twitter that you sometimes need to use them to interact with others' miis.

Mik2121

It's more pachinko than gacha though.

Well I mean, you pretty much pay, throw your Mii from some angle and hope for the best. I guess you can work around the location to get your Mii to where you want him to go, but it's still a big gamble.

Yukinari

It has nothing to do with Streetpass and the two aren't comparable.

What are the chances that normal people in many parts of the US will have this app on their phone? Not comparing it to Streetpass directly, im saying it could be hard to find people in less populated areas.

rpmurphy

Yeah, those minigames... I used up all of my game tickets to get a particular shirt but no luck (got a nice blazer though and some candies). It's not one of the shirts you can buy in the shop [yet?], so I guess I have until April 10th to somehow win it. ARGHGHGH

Sakura

What are the chances that normal people in many parts of the US will have this app on their phone? Not comparing it to Streetpass directly, im saying it could be hard to find people in less populated areas.

You don't really need to 'find' people though. You can just connect it to your facebook and twitter and add them as friends.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Yeah, those minigames... I used up all of my game tickets to get a particular shirt but no luck (got a nice blazer though and some candies). It's not one of the shirts you can buy in the shop [yet?], so I guess I have until April 10th to somehow win it. ARGHGHGH

You should buy it when it becomes available, sounds like a good investment.

Azuran

Banned

Is online thought. You can connect your social media accounts and add friends that way.

Edit: Greninja'd

J

Jpop

Unconfirmed Member
Installs
1 - 5

We can all say we were there first.

Not really. It takes a while to update the amount of user downloads same as Youtube video views when something gets first uploaded,

Striek

Hopefully Nintendo are kind enough to let you buy game tickets?

Nice, app seems pretty small, assuming the save data and cache don't balloon it to a massive size like some things can. Was worried I might have to delete stuff to make room for it. Damn 16GB iPhone.

rpmurphy

You should buy it when it becomes available, sounds like a good investment.
I am a sucker for these kinds of dress-up games. :(

Hopefully Nintendo are kind enough to let you buy game tickets?
You seem to get some for free if you meet some in-game goals, but you can also redeem Miitomo platinum points (My Nintendo) for game tickets.

1x: 85 points
5x: 420 points
10x: 250 points (yeah, this is kinda weird)

AdanVC

Looks neat. Will probably get lot's of buzz once it launches here due to people being like "omg the Wii I remember those from the Wii!"

watershed

Banned
Seeing how similar it is to Tomodachi Life, it may end up appealing to me. That game was fun for way longer than I thought it'd be.

Top Bottom