• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marty O'Donnell speaks out on being fired from Bungie

Didn't come down to the fact that Activision's marketing department overruled him by scoring the music in the early pre-release trailers for Destiny which led to a big rift forming between himself and various other members of the Audio Team and Bungie senior leadership?

Didn't come down to the fact that Activision's marketing department overruled him by scoring the music in the early pre-release trailers for Destiny which led to a big rift forming between himself and various other members of the Audio Team and Bungie senior leadership?

Possibly. Marty seems like the type of person who was against the Activision deal, regardless of Bungie retaining "independence." Seems that a sort of corporate mentality seeped into Bungie before the release of Destiny.

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.
All I can see is that mole hair.

PooBone

I wonder if 343 will pick him up for Halo 6.

He's already working on a Microsoft game with Joe Staten. Leave him away from Halo, he's already made his mark there. In a dozen years or so I'm sure we'll get to hear his full Destiny soundtrack too.

Compsiox

Banned
I wonder if 343 will pick him up for Halo 6.

Franky kinda inferred that there is no intention to. They are very happy with their current composer. Also Marty started a studio with former Bungie employees so I'm not even sure if he would given the opportunity.

StUnNeR H2K

I can't wait til Destiny/Activision is done and Bungie employees come out of to say what really went down. The development of Destiny must have been a nightmare internally. Marty's exit, Joe Staten and who knows how many other lesser named individuals.

I can't wait til Destiny/Activision is done and Bungie employees come out of to say what really went down. The development of Destiny must have been a nightmare internally. Marty's exit, Joe Staten and who knows how many other lesser named individuals.

I feel like many of these have been overstated and Activision involvement has been very little. Marty was always a fairly "demanding" employee it seems all the way back to Halo 2. Internal bungee development also seems to very conflicting. All the way back to Halo CE things where been doing inside the studio that other leads didn't agree with. The Halo CE pistol and the Combat Evolved subtitle being notable.

Pretty sure Destiny was this level of conflict just exacerbated. Choices where made too late in development to do mass overhauls some of which seem to have being the final straw for people like Joe who valued the integrity of his work enough to get annoyed and call it quits once someone/a group started to chop and bastardize it

BigBoss

All I can see is that mole hair.

aAZk4cf.gif

I refuse to believe that he doesn't know why he got fired.

Either his ego is preventing him from a proper self analysis or self awareness, or he is a totally oblivious person.

The fact that he has done so many of these interviews and such about the situation tells me the wound is still open. He's honestly not going about this in the most professional way. It's a good thing he co-founded his own studio, because with how public he's been about this all, I doubt any other studio would want to hire him on.

Salz01

What a painfully poor interview. Ryan just needs to stop interviewing anybody. Marty has no real answers, or insight, probably can't say anything, and the people in the background pretending to work looks fake. This is all to get clicks again. So laughable

Brannon

Wow, I was JUST about to make a thread about mole hairs and the people who leave them there.

So... mole hairs, huh?

Why do people leave them there?

Acidote

Was he fired before or after the music of The Taken King was done? Because I've always found the Year 1 music much better.

DarkFlame

Banned
Martin O Donell constantly speaks out the past 2-3 years. Jesus,how much more discussion can his layoff have after all these years

Was he fired before or after the music of The Taken King was done? Because I've always found the Year 1 music much better.

Pretty sure Taken King music was finished before Marty stepped out.

Especially considering Oryx, and the Dreadnaught were originally intended to be part of Vanilla Destiny.

thenexus6

- Ryan is terrible interviewer / what the hell is his wearing
- Mole hair
- Whats up with the dumb artsy cross fades / zoom ins?
- He doesn't really say anything about the parting of him and Bungie here..

If so he is on the right side of history. The marketing and music pairing was fucking awful.

From what I remember. It was a combination of two things.

Marty really wanted to work with Paul McCartney, and went full asshole to get his way about it. Which led to this awful thing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=163_C5UVU-I

Activision didn't want to publish Marty's "Music of the Spheres" as they thought it wasn't profitable enough. Which Marty took rather personally, and if rumor is to be believed, took out his anger on his team at Bungie and his own work ethic.

From what I remember. It was a combination of two things.

Marty really wanted to work with Paul McCartney, and went full asshole to get his way about it. Which led to this awful thing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=163_C5UVU-I

Activision didn't want to publish Marty's "Music of the Spheres" as they thought it wasn't profitable enough. Which Marty took rather personally, and if rumor is to be believed, took out his anger on his team at Bungie and his own work ethic.

That McCartney hologram.
mjlol.png

Bungie just aint the same anymore, who were the big staff members who left?

Joe Staten was the lead writer for Halo. He left when the story was scrapped roughly a year prior to launch.

He's currently working at Microsoft, but not specifically for Halo.

Marty O'Donnell's story can be found throughout this thread. He was the head of the Sound department. Focusing on music, but having a hand in SFX as well.

Frankie O'Conner left Bungie with the Halo split and went to work at 343.

Those are probably the "bigger" names you might think of.

Top Bottom