• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Reddit [verified] User shares NX info: x86 Architecture, Second screen support etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
This user has been recently verified at Reddit.

As promised, I've decided to share some more NX information with you. This is second-hand information from trusted sources (like last time) and I have little reason to doubt its validity.
Here you go:
x86 architecture.
Backup data to Nintendo server (most likely My Nintendo).
Support for additional screen.
Can handle ports of current-gen games.
Will be able to interact with smartdevice apps.
Using NX software will unlock My Nintendo reward points.

https://www.reddit.com/r/NintendoNX/comments/4dbau3/you_survived_the_af_lockdown_now_claim_your_reward/?sort=old

Previous thread he created before getting verified.

https://www.reddit.com/r/NintendoNX/comments/4c1ji6/before_april_fools_rolls_around_i_want_to_clear/

Regginator

x86 architecture.
Can handle ports of current-gen games.

tumblr_lw0r59Ofbf1r6x7xno1_500.gif

though the question is if 3rd party devs want to go through the trouble

If the x86 rumor is true, doesn't it kill the idea of a cross-compatible ecosystem between a home console and a portable device?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Is the vetting process the same on Reddit as it is on GAF?

It sounds similar:

FlapSnapple[M] [score hidden] an hour ago stickied comment
This user has been verified by the mod team. We have confirmed that he has connections to Wii U developer(s) and/or development hardware and very likely has knowledge about the NX via those same connections. This verification is sort of general/open ended and I unfortunately cannot verify specific details on a point by point basis.

It's a verification of who they are (which is checkable) as opposed to the information they're giving (which is much harder to check).

I can't speak to the quality at which they check the user's ties however compared to what we do.

Zalman

I expected the second screen stuff to stay in some capacity. I don't think they will force anyone to play something like Mario Maker with a regular controller. The option might be there, but yeah.

AdanVC

Another week, another set of NX rumors. At this point I will just wait till official info tbh.

x86 sounds ace if true...

kirby_fox

Banned
Sounds like a lot of the same speculation we've been hearing. New architecture, supports a second screen whatever that is.

Huh. What if it can use your phone or tablet as an optional controller? That would explain both the no buttons rumors and the connecting to other things and the second screen.

georly

If true, I love the idea that achievements are basically mynintendo currency. You can play games and cash in your time played to buy other games or cool bonuses.

All the other stuff sounds good, too, I guess.

Another touch screen controller. It seems. Not a surprise.

Or the ability to use your smartphone or NX portable system as a 2nd screen.

Kouriozan

support for second screen could be compatability with the NX handheld

Yeah I'm wondering if the basic console pack will have a more traditionnal controller so they could sell it cheaper and propose a Wii U Gamepad-like to buy to get handheld compatibility.

jelly

x86 is interesting and a nice excuse to sell you the same stuff again but at least going forward that might never happen again. All three console makers x86, sweet.

Shame, would have preferred 64 bit ARM cores, which are progressing faster than x86 cores and can easily compete with the AMD Jaguar/Puma level cores in PS4 and One.

Though admittedly Apple is the only SoC designer that has a high performance solution that make a best-in-class handheld these days -- the Apple-designed Typhoon Cores and PowerVR GPU in the Apple A8 in the ultra-thin and small iPod Touch don't throttle at all while giving the same performance as quad core, higher-clocked, hotter chips that can only work in much bigger devices. (Same goes for the Twister cores in A9)

Though AMD Zen has me hopeful that console manufacturers will have better options down the line. And Jim Keller was apparently not fond of AMD's K12 ARM solution at his time there: http://www.fudzilla.com/news/processors/39179-jim-keller-was-not-a-big-fan-of-k12

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom