• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Reddit [verified] User shares NX info: x86 Architecture, Second screen support etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mithos

though the question is if 3rd party devs want to go through the trouble

Nintendo could release a PC and thirdparty games would not be made for it, even if a single line of code were the only thing needed to be added/changed (header or similar) to run on it.

Boke1879

I'll wait for an official announcement. If nintendo wants 3rd parties on board this is the stuff they need. But even then. Who know's if third parties will be there in any meaningful way.

omonimo

Banned
Sounds like a lot of the same speculation we've been hearing. New architecture, supports a second screen whatever that is.

Huh. What if it can use your phone or tablet as an optional controller? That would explain both the no buttons rumors and the connecting to other things and the second screen.
I almost convinced will be a sort of tablet with a controller. Isn't it supposed to handle an OS like Android? Just supposition.

Saoshyant

nope x86 mobile intel atoms exist.

Yes, for laptops/netbooks. It's not the sort of thing you can pull on a DS/Vita-sized handheld.

uRRkFD0.jpg

Size and power comparison with Tegra.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Second screen wii u style?

This is all fairly rudimentary info though. Nothing here on an (expected) USP.

If we assume this is true, the primary implication would be that it's a console instead of a handheld/mobile-esque set top box standing in as a console since those couldn't run ports sufficiently.

It's... yeah there's not too much here overall since I think that was largely implied already.

ZOONAMI

Sure, but they're almost certainly partnering with AMD, not Intel, and AMD trying to make an x86 chip for a portable device... well, that'd be something to see, haha.

That's exactly what the jaguar x86 cpu is in the ps4. Designed for tablets originally.

bomblord1

Banned
Sure, but they're almost certainly partnering with AMD, not Intel, and AMD trying to make an x86 chip for a portable device... well, that'd be something to see, haha.

This is a few years old at this point so if anything the tech has gotten better (x86)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nfUcQOu08iQ

The big thing about consoles/handhelds is Nintendo is probably going to get under clocked parts for battery/heat issues as it having inconsistent performance from throttling is a no go.

cormack12

Gold Member
Most of that can be discerned from the patent diagrams. I'm not convinced.

x86 architecture - But no details on chipset?
Backup data to Nintendo server - One of the patents has 'game data' in the cloud being pulled down to the console device and being stored on there too
Support for additional screen - Supplementary devices......patent for screen (the main talking point about NX for months)
Can handle ports of current-gen games - It probably can. The Xbox One can handle ports of PS4 games. Doesn't mean it's real.
Will be able to interact with smartdevice apps - Phones I guess. When we already know Miitomo exists?
Using NX software will unlock My Nintendo reward points - Does it matter?

Sorry, I call bullshit. There's nothing 'new' there. Just a breadcrumb of speculation.

I expected the second screen stuff to stay in some capacity. I don't think they will force anyone to play something like Mario Maker with a regular controller. The option might be there, but yeah.

Also Miivese; it was one of the few shining lights of the console ( although i really enjoyed my time with the wii u). It pretty much requires a second screen.

StereoVsn

No reason hey couldn't go to AMD for console and Intel for handled. The whole point of x86 is that software would work on both. Plus Intel has been trying to get into mobile so Nintendo could get a good deal from them.

If the backwards-compatibility thing is true then I'll hold off buying a Wii U, unless the price of them plummets and I can pick one up new for ~£100.

SpotAnime

This is probably fake but where did you read BC?

"Can handle ports of current-gen games."

That reads like they can easily port Wii U/3DS (?) games to the new platform, but it doesn't explicitly state backwards compatibility so it's likely a way to sell you your older games on the new platform.

sounds like a very generic list with expected features.......

That's what I think too. Aside from the x86 architecture, everything read as status quo for the current gen. It would have only been a big deal had Nintendo NOT gone in this direction.

X86 is a bit weird since people keep saying it's not handheld friendly. I wonder how that will work out.
Both ps4 and xbone have a second screen solution. (Vita and smart glass respectively).

I guess a potential NX handheld could be a second screen for the console.
Yeah, developing all games to have some sort of second screen functionality if you own the handheld would be smart.
I really like the gamepad but it drives the price up quite a bit, would be better if they gave more of a reason to own both.

Meesh

While I don't believe it to be true, I'd be happy as fuck if they used x86.
I'm no tech guy but I'm assuming and hoping this is the best/smartest move Nintendo's made in forever. Is there a downside to x86 or...?

daveo42

Banned
It sounds similar:

It's a verification of who they are (which is checkable) as opposed to the information they're giving (which is much harder to check).

I can't speak to the quality at which they check the user's ties however compared to what we do.

Thanks. So it could be legit or just someone who is spit-balling from a position that might know something.

Edit: Based on that laundry list, it seems way more like spit-balling to me.

Mariolee

Just that the person is somehow connected to an developer. But they still can release fake information so take it with a grain of salt.

But it's the same on NeoGaf.

Yeah just saw Nirolak's post. I would probably go so far as to say judging by GAF and Reddit's respectice track records they're most likely not as rigorous. Plus, this info isn't anything truly groundbreaking so it doesn't matter either way.

MrV4ltor

That reads like they can easily port Wii U/3DS (?) games to the new platform, but it doesn't explicitly state backwards compatibility so it's likely a way to sell you your older games on the new platform.

Current gen is PS4/XBOne. The guy is basically just confirming that it can run PS4 games.

That's what I think too. Aside from the x86 architecture, everything read as status quo for the current gen. It would have only been a big deal had Nintendo NOT gone in this direction.
In this case, XB1/PS4 titles are current gen games.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
If it's really x86 architecture then I'm curious about how they'll handle their next handheld. I'm pretty sure their partner is AMD, but they don't have an equivalent to the Intel Atom IIRC.

Plum

It's going to be like this every week until Nintendo finally announce the thing, isn't it.

Although this 'leak' is perhaps the one I most want to be true. All of that sounds great.

ZOONAMI

Lol, where the hell are people getting BC from? Not only can people not read, they make things up they think they're reading. Lol.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
If we assume this is true, the primary implication would be that it's a console instead of a handheld/mobile-esque set top box standing in as a console since those couldn't run ports sufficiently.
has there ever been any evidence that this is what they're doing?

i feel like people have just been running under the assumption that this is a handheld/console hybrid for some reason, when that isn't really supported by anything

LordRaptor

x86 seems unlikely (but not impossible) based on statements regarding unifying their handheld and home devices.
ARM would seem more likely given Nintendos historic preference for low power draw and need for a handheld form factor for at least one upcming device, plus they clearly have a PPC -> ARM toolchain already, based on the 3DS ports of Wii and WiiU titles.

Banned
Has Nintendo ever used x86?
No. They've used the PowerPC since the GameCube was in development (around 1999). The Wii was a GameCube with twice the ram and clock speeds. The Wii U has basically three overclocked Wii processors on a SoC with a modest GPU.

RK128

So this leak kinda announces a lot:
-BC with Wii U possible with Second Screen Support
-Current-Gen games can run on NX hardwae (at least the console), leading to ports of titles like FFXV, KH3 and other JP titles not being off the table
-Support with My Nintendo very likely

Thank you for sharing this with us OP :). The NX pieces are starting to come together....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom