• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valve's trailer for VR/the Vive and a sneak peek at Dota 2 VR spectating

They put up the SteamVR page

http://store.steampowered.com/steamvr

trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qYfNzhLXYGc

the other vid with Dota isn't up on YT, it's the last on the SteamVR page, titled Steam

oDVrGYa.gif

collige

Banned
Oh, it's just the minimap that's in VR. That's not as exciting, but I guess rendering the entire map at once would be pretty taxing

CryptiK

I kind of wish that when he looked down on the map that was the main area, like completely 3D seeing all the creep's etc.

Christof

Neo Member
That trailer was very well made.

Having tried VR it does a good job capturing how fun and immersive it is and also how fun it is to do with friends.

Oh, it's just the minimap that's in VR. That's not as exciting, but I guess rendering the entire map at once would be pretty taxing

I kind of wish that when he looked down on the map that was the main area, like completely 3D seeing all the creep's etc.

Maybe it can also do that, who knows. A Valve dev 2 years ago certainly mentioned it. Also a 1st person version with you hanging out in the lane.

DryvBy

Dang, I think I'm floored by VR. I was already a fan but this blows everything else out of the water.

And I hate Dota!

That paddle looks really silly.
For both esports and actual sports alike. It's gotta be the next best thing to being at the venue in person, if not eventually better altogether (with UI benefits not available IRL).
3D RL sports would be awesome on TV/VR. Truly awesome.

Wallach

VR spectating is going to be so fucking awesome. E-Sports has a great advantage here as well. It's going to take a while to get the ball really rolling but I can't wait for this stuff to take off.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
This is one of the best trailers I've seen for VR. It gives you several really great examples of what the tech is and what it can do and is shot in a sleek fashion to make it all look cool to those who aren't already sold on it. Really impressive stuff both the commercial and the actual product.

LordRaptor

Really great trailer showcasing the sense of immersion - I haven't used anything more recent than the DK1 playing the - frankly not great - Surgeon Simulator, but am crazy hyped for getting a Vive.
That shot of the woman under the sea and turning around to see the Whale... yeah.

Compsiox

Banned
Really great trailer showcasing the sense of immersion - I haven't used anything more recent than the DK1 playing the - frankly not great - Surgeon Simulator, but am crazy hyped for getting a Vive.
That shot of the woman under the sea and turning around to see the Whale... yeah.

You can't over hype the Vive. It'll blow your mind no matter what.

Durante

As I said in the previous thread, they really did a much better job on the VR marketing in these videos than I expected them to.

I really can't imagine a more effective way to illustrate VR without putting a HMD onto someone's head.

CryptiK

Is there ever going to be a solution to that odd judder to head movement? Something like smoothing? I know its OT but I'm wondering if it has been addressed.

Tain

Is there ever going to be a solution to that odd judder to head movement? Something like smoothing? I know its OT but I'm wondering if it has been addressed.

Head movement shouldn't have judder unless your computer is dropping frames.

If you're talking about the erratic motion you see in videos, that's actually a good and smooth thing when you're the one wearing the headset.

Yogg

The trailer is nicely done. Tho I wonder how the Vive translates for small living rooms/bedrooms with not much place to move around. Is there any point in getting one just to play it sitted in a chair ? (that would be my use-case)

valeo

The trailer is nicely done. Tho I wonder how the Vive translates for small living rooms/bedrooms with not much place to move around. Is there any point in getting one just to play it sitted in a chair ? (that would be my use-case)

I'd say Oculus would make more sense, though the Vive can be used like that too depending on the game.

Are you talking about when watching a video of what someone in VR is seeing? There are some devs working on ways to better show VR on video. The trailer by Valve in the op was actually done by attaching a third Vive controller to a Camera so it can be tracked in the VR space. The Job Simulator devs also came up with a cool place able camera and that can be moved by the person playing.

I said it from day one. Rocket League spectator mode from the stands. To be on the ground level and see cars flying over head at high speed would be amazing.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Agree with RL VR SPEC mode. Imagine watching the pros with all the crazy flying mindfuck goals they do...I can't even handle. It just makes too much sense. Please make it happen.

Maximo

Wow that is probably the best Video I have seen so far to demonstrate VR to general audiences.
Also seeing that Dota 2 map makes me want a DnD game!

Aselith

Now let's hook that sex suit up to the spectator client and I can be getting a hot blowie from Lina while I watch a Dota match

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Most concrete VR video I have ever seen. I can finally share my excitement with relatives who have no idea what it is about.

Paz

First video I've seen that comes even remotely close to conveying how interesting VR is, huge props to valve for coming up with this concept.

And it's something you can share with folks who have no idea what VR is without fear so that's super great, I still think wearing a HMD is the real point at which you convert people but up until now I felt like promotional stuff was almost turning people away and not inviting them in.

Top Bottom