• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

‘Dear Esther’ coming to PlayStation 4 and Xbox One this Summer

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
http://games.premiercomms.com/release.asp?i=2605

The Chinese Room and Curve Digital will bring “Director’s Cut” of BAFTA-nominated title to consoles later this year

The spiritual prequel to Everybody’s Gone To The Rapture is heading to consoles for the very first time, thanks to developer The Chinese Room and publisher Curve Digital.

Dear Esther broke the mould with its original release on PC back in 2012, redefining the way games tell stories. In turn, it posed questions not just of the player, but the art form itself, single-handedly establishing a new genre, of which Everybody’s Gone To The Rapture, Gone Home and Firewatch are prominent examples.

The game asks players to explore a remote island in the Scottish Hebrides, assuming the role of a troubled man piecing together the chain of events which lead to his wife’s death. Fragments of letters appear throughout the island, weaving a complex narrative of both the recent and distant past. As the island’s secrets are gradually revealed, players will piece together a tale which will remain with them long after the screen has faded to black.

It was an astonishingly bold videogame at the time, with an ambition and aesthetic often imitated but rarely bettered.

The console versions of Dear Esther will, for the first time, offer PlayStation 4 and Xbox One owners the opportunity to lose themselves on this remote Scottish island. These versions will also debut an all-new “director’s commentary” mode, where subsequent replays will be accompanied by an audio retrospective of the game’s inception, development, release and impact, as members of the original team reunite to provide the most comprehensive retrospective of the game yet. Additionally, subtle tweaks will refine how the game looks and plays – tweaking it ever-so-slightly for a modern console audience.

The game won the ‘Excellence in Visual Arts’ award at the 2012 Independent Games Festival and was celebrated for the ‘Best Use of Narrative’ in the Develop Awards of the same year. It was also nominated for five awards at the 2013 British Academy Video Games Awards.

“We’ve always known that Dear Esther would continue its story,” says Dan Pinchbeck, The Chinese Room, “and we’re delighted to be writing that story with Curve Digital. Dear Esther is a hugely important game to us, so it’s great to know it’s in very capable hands – we’re excited to see the reaction from PlayStation 4 and Xbox One players.

“It is rare that a game can be considered ‘genre-defining’; but Dear Esther is one such title,” says Simon Byron, publishing director, Curve Digital. “It was literally the game I set up a Steam account for, so to work with the immense team at The Chinese Room to bring their seminal game to a console audience is a genuine thrill. I’m really excited that both PlayStation 4 and Xbox One owners are soon to embark on a journey which has the potential to change them.”

Dear Esther will be available for PlayStation 4 and Xbox One later this year.

Krejlooc

Banned
Played this game recently in VR with the Virtuix Omni and it was an incredible experience. It gets slammed as a "walking simulator" but those games are quite compelling in VR.

Played this game recently in VR with the Virtuix Omni and it was an incredible experience. It gets slammed as a "walking simulator" but those games are quite compelling in VR.

If I'm going to play one of Chinese Room's games, I think I'll wait till I can experience somewhat like that. VR might make the painfully slow pace of movement worth it.

blurr

Wow, didn't know this is going to have VR support. Really excited to try it out, I love the game as it is.

Turnstyle

Would they have to change the ending?

Been a while since I've played it, but from what I remember the screen just goes black. I've got a vague recollection of reading somewhere that Sony/Microsoft require games to have a message or boot you back to the title screen, so players don't think the game has crashed.

This might be nonsense - I'm clutching at very vague memories at the back of my mind.

Additionally, subtle tweaks will refine how the game looks and plays – tweaking it ever-so-slightly for a modern console audience.
Hm, I wonder what that means, hopefully the changes will be minimal as the original was nearly damn perfect for me.
Will it still use the Source Engine though? I remember hearing about the devs thinking about porting the game to Unity.

Any word on if the commentary mode (and maybe the tweaks) will make its way into the Steam version, yet?

Krejlooc

Banned
Wow, didn't know this is going to have VR support. Really excited to try it out, I love the game as it is.

It doesn't have official VR support. I ran it using VorpX (to enable head tracking and output to a VR headset) and the virtuix omni gamepad translation software, that let me play it in VR.

wouwie

Great news. If it's anything like Everbody's gone to the Rapture, then i should love this. Day one for me.

Hard to get excited about this. Isn't this the game people always bring up as an example of how to do this genre of games in the worst way possible? And then they mention how good the graphics look, but it's a photorealistic game that's a few years old at this point.

I'd like it on PS+ though, I bet it comes with an easy Platinum trophy.

Oreiller

Great news. If it's anything like Everbody's gone to the Rapture, then i should love this. Day one for me.

It's pretty different, Dear Esther way more abstract and metaphorical story-wise. I didn't care much for Dear Esther but loved Rapture because it's way more grounded and human IMO.

blurr

It doesn't have official VR support. I ran it using VorpX (to enable head tracking and output to a VR headset) and the virtuix omni gamepad translation software, that let me play it in VR.

Ah, I was wondering about that. The environment artist said he was against VR for the game in his blog.

Hard to get excited about this. Isn't this the game people always bring up as an example of how to do this genre of games in the worst way possible? And then they mention how good the graphics look, but it's a photorealistic game that's a few years old at this point.

I'd like it on PS+ though, I bet it comes with an easy Platinum trophy.

Technically, I think Everybody has Gone to the Rapture ended up being worse. Too many characters, too little direction, glowing lights are weird.

The pleasant thing about Dear Esther is that it's a long, wandering walk on an island. It's basically linear so you don't get lost and while not a puzzle, you are exploring and figuring out the mystery of what's going on while the narrator speaks cryptically about the island, his past, and the strange stuff all around you. It's done in a little over an hour and you feel satisfied with it like you would a short story.

It's also very beautiful. One of the few games that made a cave an interesting place. I still remember some of the strange scenes and images of that game in a way I don't remember a lot of others.

PaulloDEC

Great news for those who've not played it. It sure isn't for everyone, but I enjoyed it both as a mod and as a paid release.

Krejlooc

Banned
Ah, I was wondering about that. The environment artist said he was against VR for the game in his blog.

:shrug: the game is actually well suited for it. It's naturally slower paced, and the lack of any really input in the game besides walking means you don't miss positional tracking of the hands. It manages to side step a lot of the VR game design issues by simply being a slower paced, story-driven game.

Shame he's against VR support, his game is terrific in VR. Just the right length, too.

IvanJ

Banned
I'll gladly buy it on PS4. I enjoyed Rapture, and am really into this genre lately (Firewatch, Layers of Fear).
But probably will wait it out in the $10 tier, still waiting for Gone Home to get discounted too.

I liked Rapture a hell of a lot but the walking speed was a crazy chore. Seeing something in the distance to explore and I had to think of if it was worth it as it would take 10 minutes to get there.

Does Dear Esther move faster? I don't need a run as that would take away something from it but just a reasonable speed....

blurr

:shrug: the game is actually well suited for it. It's naturally slower paced, and the lack of any really input in the game besides walking means you don't miss positional tracking of the hands. It manages to side step a lot of the VR game design issues by simply being a slower paced, story-driven game.

Shame he's against VR support, his game is terrific in VR. Just the right length, too.

IKR

I really feel like I am in a different place playing with keyboard and mouse as it is, can only imagine how much better it will be with VR.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
I liked Rapture a hell of a lot but the walking speed was a crazy chore. Seeing something in the distance to explore and I had to think of if it was worth it as it would take 10 minutes to get there.

Does Dear Esther move faster? I don't need a run as that would take away something from it but just a reasonable speed....
You walk slow as molasses in Dear Esther. I had the same issue you describe, at one point trying to go off the beaten path became a chore and I just wanted to be done with it.

On PC you can change the walking speed by altering a game file, but unfortunately I only thought about that after I beat the game.

blurr

tbh Dear Esther was all about taking in the world and atmosphere around you, it can be very relaxing so the slow movement felt just right for me

I try to replay the game when I feel stressed, it's like I'm taking a short vacation in an abandoned little island.

Oh and the background score, Jessica Curry's a name I won't forget. Very soothing and beautiful.

Alright, time to bring out another bottle of pure vodka and take a swig every time the character says Dear Esther.

Seriously, I found that drinking game more entertaining than the actual game.

Ludens

Banned
I hope so. I loved Rapture and move love to play this.

Well, Rapture from what I saw (don't own the game) is a proper game, there's a lot of story content, a goal to achieve etc.
Dear Esther is just a 30 minutes walking simulator, there's some story, but it's very confusing and not really good.
I think the game is already overpriced for 10€ on Steam (and...did the price increase? Because I remember it was 7€ before?), I doubt a console version will cost less than 15€.

Probably it will be free on Plus on release, the added content it's not really worth in my opinion.

Osahi

Good news! I just hope the orice is right. Still holding off on Gone Home PS4 as 19,99 euro is just to high...

Hm, I wonder what that means, hopefully the changes will be minimal as the original was nearly damn perfect for me.
Will it still use the Source Engine though? I remember hearing about the devs thinking about porting the game to Unity.

Any word on if the commentary mode (and maybe the tweaks) will make its way into the Steam version, yet?

Explosions 'n shit.

KainXVIII

Word of advice - this game has zero gameplay, you literally just slowly walk and listen to some crazy rambling monologue. Gone Home at least have item interaction and several goals.

Yes! Now the only thing missing from the consoles is Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs.
Now this is actually good game, with VR it will have even more immersion!

Melchiah

Word of advice - this game has zero gameplay, you literally just slowly walk and listen to some crazy rambling monologue. Gone Home at least have item interaction and several goals.

Now this is actually good game, with VR it will have even more immersion!

It's great to have games like Dear Esther, Gone Home, and The Vanishing of Ethan Carter coming to consoles. I have the Amnesia sequel on my PC, but playing it on laptop isn't really the best kind of experience. Especially, as I've had issues with the Nvidia settings.

As for gameplay, Everybody's Gone to the Rapture, and even Journey, have been criticized of the same, but it didn't make them any less enjoyable to me. I only hope the movement speed isn't as slow in Dear Esther as it was in Rapture.

corn_fest

Terrible game. The one thing that's supposed to hook you in (unraveling the mystery of the island/your wife's death) isn't handled well and doesn't come together in any satisfactory way.
Leaving you with nothing more than slowly walking down corridors.

tbh Dear Esther was all about taking in the world and atmosphere around you, it can be very relaxing so the slow movement felt just right for me

I try to replay the game when I feel stressed, it's like I'm taking a short vacation in an abandoned little island.

Oh and the background score, Jessica Curry's a name I won't forget. Very soothing and beautiful.
Nailed it. I love the atmosphere of the game.

Neiteio

I'm not normally a fan of these types of games, but the atmosphere in Dear Esther is more than enough to carry me through. Wonderful lil' world they created. Will pick this up to show to friends.

Camjo-Z

Horrible game, truly the definition of a walking simulator. Might as well save your cash and go take a stroll outside while rambling to yourself.

LiK

One of the most disappointing games I ever played. Poor story with a overly obtuse and convoluted narrative. Pretentious to the max. I recommend their follow-up Everybody's Gone to the Rapture instead if you want something with more substance and better narrative. Dear Esther was a visually stunning game when it first came out but that's about it. Director's commentary might be interesting to check out but I'll only do that if it was a free PS+ game. Also curious if the "tweaks" include the ability to move faster.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
I liked Dear Esther for what it was, but people should keep in mind that Dear Esther was one of the early games that came out of the wave of walking simulators. It wasn't the first, but it may have been the indie attempt that popularized the idea, most certainly.

My opinion boils down that is simplistic to walking sim standards (before anyone gets snarky, yes walking sims have seen improvements in design over time and the really good ones usually have some extra oomph to them), and the story I think is lackluster. This said, there's some beautiful scenes and art direction, I think the music is good, and the atmosphere is quite thick. I'd say it's good, but know it's less than an hour long and really the sort of 'cliche' image of a walking simulator most think of when people think of the term... in big part as it's the game that even popularized the idea of a 'walking simulator' game.

Top Bottom