• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Koji Kondo stole Super Mario Bros “Underworld” theme?

Snufkin

http://maubrowncow.com/index.php/2006/09/21/nintendo-stole-a-super-mario-theme-from-6-years-ealier/

A while back, while digging through LA’s now closed Aaron’s Records, I ran across a Record from “Friendship”, and I recognized the bassists name, “Abraham Laboriel”. I remembered a buddy of mine telling me that Abe was a “sick bassist”, and at 99 cents, i couldn’t resist. So I bring my loot home, and pop it on my technics. The very first track I played is called “The Real Thing”. I was instantly floored. I couldn’t believe my ears. I was listening to a funked out version of Super Mario Brothers “Underworld” theme.

I flipped the album cover over to find out when this record was released, and why Friendship would cover a Super Mario Bros theme.

Friendship released: 1979
Listen to the comparison on this guys blog, Mario Bros theme is played first followed by the funk track.

Top Bottom