• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Bros theme is first Video Game soundtrack added to US Library of Congress National Registry Of Recordings

Video Game Soundtrack Joins Recording Registry for First Time

Few musicians have had their work become so internationally recognized for decades yet remain so relatively unknown as Koji Kondo, the man who composed the music for the Super Mario Bros. video games in the 1980s. Still today, Kondo is credited for original Nintendo music in the new “Super Mario Bros. Movie” out this month.

Kondo, born and raised in Japan, was a college senior in Osaka, interested in the piano and sound design, when he saw a recruiting flyer from Nintendo on a university bulletin board. He answered the ad, and the rest is video game history. His main, or “Ground Theme,” for the 1985 game is a jaunty, Latin-influenced melody that’s instantly recognizable around the world today.

“The amount of data that we could use for music and sound effects was extremely small, so I really had to be very innovative and make full use of the musical and programming ingenuity that we had at the time,” he said through an interpreter in a recent interview. “I used all sorts of genres that matched what was happening on screen. We had jingles to encourage players to try again after getting a ‘game over,’ fanfares to congratulate them for reaching goals, and pieces that sped up when the time remaining grew short.”

Now 61 and still working for Nintendo, he’s seen his “Mario” music used in films and played by orchestras. He’s designed the world of sound for dozens of other video games. He did, however, have an inkling that they were onto something at the beginning. “I also had a feeling that this game might be something that could turn into a series and continue for a long time,” he said.

“Having this music preserved alongside so many other classic songs is such a great honor,” he said. “It's actually a little bit difficult to believe.”

https://newsroom.loc.gov/news/natio...1b115-3825-4a5f-a702-35940b4de958?loclr=twloc

Robb

Gold Member
That’s pretty cool, good on Koji - guys a legend.
Way To Go Thumbs Up GIF

I don't want to sound like a hater here but what metrics are they using to select candidates? Many soundtracks of old games have been awarded so why this?

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
This is pretty cool. 👍

LRKD

I never cared too much for the Mario theme on it's own, but it is certainly recognizable, and the score for the game does it's job quite well in game. However, it's very cool they've added it to the library and congrats to him! And cool to see vidya gaem music taken more seriously, some incredible music all across gaming that are incredibly under looked because they're just a part of a 'video game'. Hopefully in the future game composers and their music will be taken just as seriously as composers for other mediums.

Top Bottom