• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Doom PC performance thread

Beta is up

What Are The Recommended Pc System Specs For The Open Beta?
The following system specs for the PC are for the Open Beta and do not reflect the minimum or recommended system specs of the final game.
Minimum Spec (720p)
Windows 7, Windows 8.1, Windows 10 (64-bit versions only)
Intel Core i5-2400 or better / AMD FX-8320 or better
8 GB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 670 (2GB) or better / AMD Radeon HD 7870 (2GB) or better
Up to 22GB HDD space
Steam account
Broadband internet connection
*Please note that the NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 Ti, and mobile GPUs are not supported for the DOOM Beta. Please check back later for minimum or recommended system specs for the final game

Recommended Spec (1080p)
Windows 7, Windows 8.1, Windows 10 (64-bit versions only)
Intel Core i7-3770 or better / AMD FX-8350 or better
8GB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 (4GB) or better / AMD Radeon R9 290 (4GB) or better
Up to 22GB HDD space
Steam account
Broadband internet connection

Nvidia hotfix driver
Latest AMD driver

PCGH benchmarks

fps locked at 60. mouse feels awful, very laggy. feels almost like aiming with a controller :/

my oc 980ti is at about 65% gpu usage at 1440p/60.

Blitzhex

Fps locked to 60. What the heck? Games running at 70% gpu usage at 60 fps on my 980ti @1440p and max settings anyways.

What are the settings option?
EDIT: Nvm, just saw the edited-in bench.

you can change resolution, aa and motion blur. the actual graphic settings menu is grayed out.

other than the very good TAA the graphics are pretty bleh. you think the game has texture load delays upon starting it up, then you realize they are just that low res.

and jesus the movement speed is just insanely slow and theres no way to sprint. this is 100% a console designed shooter in every way

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Fps locked to 60. What the heck? Games running at 70% gpu usage at 60 fps on my 980ti @1440p and max settings anyways.

id Tech 6 is a modified id Tech 5. The speed of the game itself increases with a framerate above 60.

you can change resolution, aa and motion blur. the actual graphic settings menu is grayed out.

other than the very good TAA the graphics are pretty bleh. you think the game has texture load delays upon starting it up, then you realize they are just that low res.

and jesus the movement speed is just insanely slow and theres no way to sprint. this is 100% a console designed shooter in every way

That sounds bad. Especially in such a heavily action oriented game.

dr_rus

I vaguely remember them talking about supporting higher refresh rates in release version.

It's a bit early for the PC performance thread as we're still a month away from release and there will still be changes to the renderer most probably. The difference in performance between alpha and the latest beta is night and day already.

NIN90

id Tech 6 is a modified id Tech 5. The speed of the game itself increases with a framerate above 60.
People have dug into the closed beta build and were able to access the graphics options. Including a max framerate option that went up to 144 I think.
Could have been faked screens though.

Wow, that's strange.

The closed Beta worked perfectly for me.
The open Beta won't even start. I'm stuck at a black screen :(

EDIT: Works with the nVidia hotfix driver.

Blitzhex

Alt tab in borderless windowed doesn't work properly. It flickers my screens and goes all black for a few secs before it tabs to the next screen. I have borderless gsync on though, not sure if there's a conflict with that.

People have dug into the closed beta build and were able to access the graphics options. Including a max framerate option that went up to 144 I think.
I personally inspected the exeand it had hz/framerate options in the advanced settings area. I fully expectthe fame to supprt hfr displays.

I haven't had a chance to try the open beta yet but does it still have the problem with the Bethesda logo hanging the game for ages like the closed beta did?

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

Ah, yeah, you're right. Time will tell.

Edit:
I personally inspected the exeand it had hz/framerate options in the advanced settings area. I fully expectthe fame to supprt hfr displays.

The beta lacking the option makes me wonder if general game logic will still be capped at 60fps and Bethesda walled off the advanced settings menu in the interest of limiting the potential for issues.

JRW

Not sure what to blame, my PC (CPU) or is it a bug, when I have Vsync enabled the fps is all over the place (40-60fps) but if I disable Vsync the fps literally never drops below 60, also the adaptive v sync option doesn't stick when exiting menu saving changes, only On or Off works.

i7 920 oc 3.4Ghz
12GB
Diamond R9 290X w/ 16.4.1 driver.
Win 10

M_A_C

had no fps issues in the other beta, but this one I have to turn off v-sync completely to keep 60. 780ti, 4770k, 16gb ram.

All of these commands work

+com_skipIntroVideo "1" +vt_MaxPPF "128" +vt_pageImageSizeVmtr "16384" +vt_pageImageSizeVmtrUnique "16384" +r_displayRefresh "120"

These work as well:

vt_uncompressedPhysicalImages "1"
vt_uncompressedVmtr "1"

But since you cannot adjust the pageimage size above 16384, you just get texture corruption with a max VRAM usage at a round 5.5 GB

Top Bottom