• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Whatever happened to Nicalis?

CO_Andy

During the Wii era Nicalis was instrumental in localizing and publishing Japan's best indies (such as La Mulana and Cave Story). These days however it seems to be Playism that's eating their lunch.

kenta

Has no PEINS
Didn't they do the port of Binding of Isaac on PS4? I bought it on release and there were lots of bugs (and trophies not being awarded) which really soured me

David___

Banned
Didn't they do the port of Binding of Isaac on PS4? I bought it on release and there were lots of bugs (and trophies not being awarded) which really soured me
They made Rebirth from the ground up with McMillen. Probably working on Afterbirth+ now.

On the topic of Japanese indies, actual publishers running like proper businesses started to localize games (i.e. Circle Entertainment, Teyon, Arc System and a couple Japanese companies started selfpublishing, etc.)
As for Nicalis itself, they've become more of an indie publisher though I can only think of Ittle Dew 2 and 90s Arcade Racer as their upcoming lineup.

They've become the dev that strikes fear into my heart every time they announce a new project. I have absolutely zero hope for The 90's Arcade Racer, for example.

If they're behind the eventual Undertale console ports, I may actually cry.

Drencrom

They're garbage, that's what happened.

They still haven't ported the Binding of Isaac expansion to PS4 after more than 6 months.

Reset

The bugs were there for like six months and the expansion still hasn't been released on the consoles. It's been 6 months since it's release on PC, and I think the Vita/WiiU versions have been canceled. :|

BiggNife

They absolutely suck at communication and they consistently release buggy/unfinished products that aren't patched for months on end

A while ago there was a thread that bashed Nicalis and Tyrone Rodriguez (the CEO) tried to defend the lack of transparency by saying consumers shouldn't feel "entitled" to receive updates whenever they want to. Basically saying the opinions of the fans don't matter. It was real gross.

And yes, OP is correct that they were one of the few indie companies supporting the Wii, but also don't forget that they released the Cave Story remake in a state where none of the drum tracks for any of the remixed music tracks were playing

We haven't even gotten a token blog post about a general release window, they finally added the trophies for it though so that's... something.

MQX

Nicalis.

I'm still waiting for Legend of Raven getting released on Vita, PS4 and X1. It's almost 2,5 years now. Where's Legend of Raven :X.

I know Yatagarasu Attack on Cataclysm is available on Steam. I just wanted to complain at Nicalis. I could also complain with "When will *Nicalis title* get released in Europe" ;p

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
I am still waiting on Mewgenetics but nooooo we got another binding of Isaac (which I love but still annoyed)

Was Nicalis ever involved in that project? I'm pretty sure that was a Team Meat thing. Either way, I'm pretty sure Edmund moved it to the backburner if he didn't cancel it outright.

Tik-Tok

Necalli is right here bud.

street_fighter_5_necalli_2.jpg

ghibli99

1001 Spikes on Wii U had quite a few bugs (particularly with audio), but I powered through it since I enjoyed the game so much. Fixes and off-TV play were eventually added after I 100%'d it, but I heard it broke some controls in the process. QA seems to be the weakest link there.

David___

Banned
Was Nicalis ever involved in that project? I'm pretty sure that was a Team Meat thing. Either way, I'm pretty sure Edmund moved it to the backburner if he didn't cancel it outright.
It was just Team Meat and they stopped working on it indefinitely to do Bumbo/ more Isaac stuff.

Edit: Yup
I’m unsure of [Mew-Genics’] future but there is a chance we will attempt to revamp it in a few years with a new design of mine that will push it in a new direction that will hopefully make it more exciting for both of us to work on,” McMillen told Eurogamer when asked about the game’s current status.

“But sadly till then it’s not gunna happen.”

https://www.vg247.com/2016/03/24/super-meat-boy-and-binding-of-isaac-creators-mew-genics-cancelled/

TheMoon

During the Wii era Nicalis was instrumental in localizing and publishing Japan's best indies (such as La Mulana and Cave Story). These days however it seems to be Playism that's eating their lunch.

Hi there, Nicalis did not publish or localize La Mulana. They backed out and NIGORO had to find another publisher to release the game. Just FYI. Plus they've always ignored anything that wasn't North America.

inb4 that Nicalis thread is posted.

I think the real topic of this thread is how awesome Playism are. Big round of applause for those folks.

Grief.exe

The bugs were there for like six months and the expansion still hasn't been released on the consoles. It's been 6 months since it's release on PC, and I think the Vita/WiiU versions have been canceled. :|

Damn.

The PC version of Rebirth/Afterbirth has been solid.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
inb4 that Nicalis thread is posted.

I think the real topic of this thread is how awesome Playism are. Big round of applause for those folks.
Absolutely. I for one I'm glad I barely hear from Nicalis anymore. Good riddance.

MUnited83

For you.
*Waits months for day one patch because I live in the EU*

Fucking Nicalis manages to be even worse to EU than fucking Atlus and thats saying something.

@MUWANdo

Banned
Nicalis isn't gone, they just haven't announced anything new in a while because all the other competent publishers pick up all the good Japanese games nowadays and because they're still struggling to release/support the games they picked up years ago.

Hi there, Nicalis did not publish or localize La Mulana. They backed out and NIGORO had to find another publisher to release the game. Just FYI. Plus they've always ignored anything that wasn't North America.

This is probably the exact moment when they lost all credibility. The way it went down (getting announced as canceled over twitter before the NIGORO devs even heard from them) was just disgusting.

As the former head of Playism, I ain't complaining though. ;)

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
I quite liked their output back in the Wii days, but nowadays all the crap they've done has piled up to a point that I really don't care about them anymore.

daydream

Banned
During the Wii era Nicalis was instrumental in localizing and publishing Japan's best indies (such as La Mulana and Cave Story).

even then they were very slow while both games on pc had been available in english long before they finally got around to bringing the wiiware versions

nicalis is just one big bummer

Top Bottom