• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Intel pushes USB Type-C as headphone jack's successor

Status
Not open for further replies.

chadskin

If there were to be a universal connector that does it all, including audio, Intel and some other players want USB Type-C to be that universal connector.
usb-c_audio_1.png

At present, Intel is finalizing the USB Type-C Digital Audio technology and plans to release its specification later in Q2. The company does not reveal a lot about the standard right now, but notes that it is working on updating the USB Audio Device Class 2.0 specifications to support new connector, expand the list of recent audio specifications and features, improve power management and simplify the discovery and configuration model to make the upcoming headsets as easy to use as today’s headsets.
Usage of digital audio means that headsets should gain their own amplifiers, DACs and various other logic, which is currently located inside smartphones. Intel proposes to install special multi-function processing units (MPUs), which will perform beam forming, noise suppression, acoustic echo suppression (AES), acoustic echo cancellation (AEC), non-linear processing and other operations. The MPUs will also support HDCP technology, hence, it will not be possible to make digital copies of records using USB-C digital headset outputs. It is unlikely that audio processing will be offloaded to external headsets completely, but the latter will clearly gain their own chips. This may, however, see a spike in cost, especially at the super-low end.

A good thing about USB Type-C headsets with MPUs is that they are going to be software upgradeable and could gain functionality over their lifespan. Intel admits that such MPUs will make digital headsets more expensive compared to analog devices, but high volumes and new process technologies will help to reduce the cost of digital headsets over time. In fact, USB Audio headsets and audio chips for them are not something completely new. For example, Plantronics Audio 655 DSP headset costs $49.99, whereas CMedia’s HS-100 chip for headsets is available $1. Therefore, from the cost perspective, digital headphones should not be too much more expensive in general. Meanwhile, Intel wants USB-C digital audio headsets to offer “significant value at higher end” and have improved functionality in a bid to become popular among consumers.
More: http://www.anandtech.com/show/10273...-cables-to-connect-headsets-to-mobile-devices

Dio

Banned
At least Type-C supports an analog audio option. I was initially really worried it would only support a digital signal and therefore need the DAC/amp to be offloaded into the actual headphone or something.

CS_Dan

This pill is more easily swallowed than some proprietary Apple nonsense. It would still suck in the short term, though.

hopefully phones that switch to this are smart enough to have a way to allow you to hook up a charger and earphones at the same time out of the box.

If that is resolved, I'm not opposed to everything going to USB Type C. Why not just have every device use the same connector? Gives you flexibility with what you can do with your ports, and it is much more compact than traditional connections.

Nope every piece of music equipment worth a damn uses Aux 3.5

Damn it, just trying to fuck everything up and make me invest in pointless overpriced adapters

-shadow-

I'm really not happy that companies start replacing the headphone jack. If it ain't broken don't fix it.

Xyber

This I can get behind, unlike the idea some gaffer had about removing 3.5mm and going full wireless. Until we have way better batteries I don't want more wireless stuff to charge every day.

Jebusman

Banned
If the phone could support digital OR analog via the Type C port, does that mean we'll get headphones that may or MAY NOT have their own DAC in them? Would this potentially create a situation where a customer unknowingly buys headphones meant for Type C Analog, but find out later their phone only supports Type C Digital?

So how would you charge and listen on headphones at the same time? And instead of being able to rely on the audio internals of the core device, you're now having to consider DACs and other things per headphone? In addition to the speaker quality itself?

Fuck this, you can take my 3.5mm jack from my cold dead hands.

And is this the real reason this is being pushed:
The MPUs will also support HDCP technology, hence, it will not be possible to make digital copies of records using USB-C digital headset outputs.

So it's really just a DRM play?

CS_Dan

Most of the time we change ports it's not because it's broken but that it's less functional.

Yeah, there's an argument here that accompanying the analogue feed with a digital connection would allow for better headset controls that would work across all platforms. Would be neat.

Don't forget to bold this part
The MPUs will also support HDCP technology, hence, it will not be possible to make digital copies of records using USB-C digital headset outputs.
I'm sure this is the most relevant portion to certain parties who will push this new tech.

MultiCore

If the phone could support digital OR analog via the Type C port, does that mean we'll get headphones that may or MAY NOT have their own DAC in them? Would this potentially create a situation where a customer unknowingly buys headphones meant for Type C Analog, but find out later their phone only supports Type C Digital?
Yes, this is exactly what I read out of this.

I forsee needing to have a Type C DAC in front of my Beyerdynamic or Sennheiser headphones in the future.... Grr. The theoretical upside is it could be a better DAC/amp than is usually shipped in consumer devices.

-shadow-

Most of the time we change ports it's not because it's broken but that it's less functional.
Which in this case is probably solely for the benefit of companies because of the HDCP. I doubt the consumers will have actual any benefits. But we'll see what the future holds.

FyreWulff

Company involved in licensing USB C wants you to use licensed cables

Also I can 100% guarantee you you're not going to get analog through that cable unless both devices are fully licensed, because likely there will be a requirement that a device can't send audio down the analog wire unless both devices confirm the HDCP handshake.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
you can't charge your phone while using headphones, it's really about pushing DRM and it's way more expensive

what are the benefits to the user again?

Mendrox

Nope every piece of music equipment worth a damn uses Aux 3.5

Damn it, just trying to fuck everything up and make me invest in pointless overpriced adapters

Correct. Nice for people that want this bs, but bs for still everyone else. *sigh*

you can't charge your phone while using headphones, it's really about pushing DRM and it's way more expensive

what are the benefits to the user again?

Never ever thought about the DRM, but... this is for sure the real reason.

massoluk

Banned
If they are going to replace it, all those phones and devices better come with two ports so I can recharge and use headphone at the same time

Fuchsdh

Is this still a thing in "piracy?" People using 3.5mm jacks to output audio to copy songs for mass pirate distribution?

Yeah, this is a bizarre complaint to have, both in the companies pushing it and people complaining about it. What legitimate consumer use case would be affected by this?

USB-C is less functional than the standard headphone jack.

A USB-C port can do a lot more than a 3.5mm jack. Fast data & power in addition to audio.

Dio

Banned
I'm looking forward to buying some CD digitally, then put on headphones only to have no sound coming out of it because the DRM requires you to use the CD publisher's approved headsets.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Don't forget to bold this part

I'm sure this is the most relevant portion to certain parties who will push this new tech.

Oh joy, I look forward to intermittent pairing issues

I believe this to be more forward thinking. Moving to streaming music, less physical releases, the industry don't want the port to be susceptible to this. Either way, shit sucks.

I'm all for it - 3.5mm should have gone away as an audio standard a long time ago. It's the largest single connector on a modern phone that exists for no reason other than people digging their feet in the sand and being unwilling to switch to something more efficient. Finally doing away with it would be a huge boon to design flexibility and we might see some real progress.

I personally went Bluetooth audio instead of wired but USB-C is fine too. Especially if you can charge and pipe audio at the same time (which was possible with previous audio over USB implementations, so I don't see why it wouldn't be here too).

PulseONE

Some of the potential benefits of it doesn't really outweigh the complete pain that having all of my current headphones and audio devices suddenly becoming incompatible would bring

Only way this would work is if you had BOTH on a phone and only phase out the headphone jack over time IF it takes off

Henrar

In what way? USB-C can do way more that headphone jack does and ever will.

The fact that you own headphones using jack doesn't mean that companies will make equipment with that port forever, when a better port has been made.

If only the next iphone supported usb-c. I love apple but hate lightening.

This I can get behind, unlike the idea some gaffer had about removing 3.5mm and going full wireless. Until we have way better batteries I don't want more wireless stuff to charge every day.

Yup. I went wireless a while ago and it's definitely more of a hassle to have to remember to charge my headphones every night.

Also people forget the bugs and or issues that occur or can occur with wireless headphones. Random cut out of audio. Or audio just not coming through until you reboot the phone....etc. Every now and then I get these issues. Not just one bad headset or phone as it happens across devices.

Moosichu

In what way? USB-C can do way more that headphone jack does and ever will.

The fact that you own headphones using jack doesn't mean that companies will make equipment with that port forever, when a better port has been made.

How does USB-C help enhance audio?

Branduil

I'm all for it - 3.5mm should have gone away as an audio standard a long time ago. It's the largest single connector on a modern phone that exists for no reason other than people digging their feet in the sand and being unwilling to switch to something more efficient. Finally doing away with it would be a huge boon to design flexibility and we might see some real progress.

What the fuck are you even talking about. No, I mean it, literally everything you said here is the opposite of the truth.

3.5 exists because it works.

Are phone manufactures going to start including a second USB C port then?? They do realize going from headphone jack + USB to JUST 1 USB is not an improvement, right?

rrs

also, consider intel makes a load of usb chipsets and would have everything to gain by selling more of them

How does USB-C help enhance audio?

Push more audio data and override the DAC with a higher quality one, although the first case is only to be useful with very high end audio equipment, like ~$1000+.

Branduil

Why does the headphone jack need a successor?

Naked greed. There's no other actual reason. 3.5 will always work great, and if people really want to use other kinds of headphones they can. But forcing everyone to buy new, wildly overpriced headphones is a lot more profitable.

Somnid

You going to put anything to back that up?

Which in this case is probably solely for the benefit of companies because of the HDCP. I doubt the consumers will have actual any benefits. But we'll see what the future holds.

I see several. Firstly, is the choice between external and internal DACs. External DACs can support higher quality sound at the cost of being bigger and weightier but can also reduce device cost by offloading it to peripherals. Since it seems like it can support analog you can also keep the DAC internal to the device, just have a different adaptor plug, this may have use with something like a software-defined DAC.

Another is power. USB now supports bidirectional power so you can say charge a wireless set of headphones while using them (best of both worlds wired/wireless) or have larger audio equipment charge players/computers while in use.

Another is scale. This would presumably let even mobile devices output the highest end home theater quality audio and you could change the type and bandwidth to match the outputs attached (save data on crappy earbuds).

Another is peripheral support. You could incorporate a compass and gyrometer into a set of headphones easily and make a static sound stage. Great for games and other immersive experiences (think VR minus the visuals). This can also open up things like path finding applications using just audio. Intel themselves have a prototype for earbuds that read your heart rate. It just makes sense to stack functionality into headphones just like we do with other mobile devices.

*rabble*device size*rabble*

There's of course self-serving reasons to adopt too but it's super disingenuous to suppose there is no reason.

kami_sama

i'm no luddite, but i'm not sure how i feel about the move away from analog audio cables...

This is exactly the opposite of that. They will use analog audio, only with USB-C instead of a jack connector. This could mean that an adapter will only be three pieces of wire instead of having an integrated DAC.

But outside of phones having two usb-C ports, I don't like it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom