• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Japan] Splatoon: Most Successful New Console IP Since Wii* Series

J

Jpop

Unconfirmed Member
I just want to go ahead and make this thread as I have recently looked at Splatoons LTD vs the previous generations (PS2,Wii,PS3)

Other than the Wii* Series Splatoon has been the most successful IP launch on consoles.

To put this into perspective Splatoon
[WIU] Splatoon # <ACT> (Nintendo) {2015.05.28} (¥5.700) - 9.478 / 1.356.993

Will have a 50% tie ratio with the Wii U by the end of its life (probably)

Wii U - 3.165.417

What I find even more surprising is, looking through garaph, how well Splatoon stacks up to other successfull established IPs in previous generations.

PS2
1 Dragon Quest VII 3,538,860
2 Final Fantasy X 2,323,463
3 Final Fantasy XII 2,322,329
4 Final Fantasy X-2 1,960,937
5 Dragon Quest V 1,611,974
6 Gran Turismo 3 A-Spec 1,437,581

I'll go through and add more into the OP tomorrow, on my phone right now.

But this game is an utter shock, sales wise, to me.

(I haven't played it myself.)

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
I really hope this game is the one that revitalises Nintendo. With the unifying of their console/handheld divisions there should be a lot more scope to make new IPs and revive other franchises rather than having to make multiple Mario Kart/Zelda/NSMB games for every platform.

They have so many good developers who are chained to a single franchise.

LewieP

Imagine how well it will do when the inevitable sequel is on handheld, too.

Most exciting thing about NX to me is Nintendo freeing up a lot of dev resources, and so being able to deliver their usual slate of evergreen hits, bring back a few neglected fan favourites, and get more experimental with new ip like Splatoon.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Very impressive but it makes me wonder how much it could have sold on a system with 3DS like userbase. Or more specific a handheld.

Really interested to see how it performs on NX Go/Portable.

Heading for 1.5m sales for a new IP on a dead home system is kinda nuts.

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
Well Splatoon is the best Nintendo game in years. Well, I'll go so far and say that it is the best complete new game and IP from Nintendo since Pokemon..it is just amazing. >> sad that I don't have friends who play it.

kami_sama

I really hope this game is the one that revitalises Nintendo. With the unifying of their console/handheld divisions there should be a lot more scope to make new IPs and revive other franchises rather than having to make multiple Mario Kart/Zelda/NSMB games for every platform.

Yeah, a huge problem qith Nintendo is that they always release the same IP in every console. Zelda, Mario, DK, (metroid), etc.

J

Jpop

Unconfirmed Member
Imagine how well it will do when the inevitable sequel is on handheld, too.

Most exciting thing about NX to me is Nintendo freeing up a lot of dev resources, and so being able to deliver their usual slate of evergreen hits, bring back a few neglected fan favourites, and get more experimental with new ip like Splatoon.

Or anything with an install base that winds up more than 3m'ish, like the Wii U.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Yeah, a huge problem qith Nintendo is that they always release the same IP in every console. Zelda, Mario, DK, (metroid), etc.

Obviously they should keep doing that, but now they don't need to make 2 versions of every series for handheld and home consoles. They can just make Mario Kart 9 for both versions of NX and then the Mario Kart team can make a new F-Zero or a new IP, rather than having to immediately start working on another Mario Kart.

TheJoRu

My hope is that continue and further expands on the idea of thinking of games like services. Make for example a really great Mario Kart and then keep part of that team to work on updates and content for several years while other parts of the team can work on something different and brand-new.

They never put more than one game in the series on a single platform, and if the NX platform is iterative like iOS/Android (we don't know that it is, but it might be) there might not be an urgent need to get a full team working on the next Mario Kart right after the previous one was completed. This would open up a lot of opportunities to create a bigger variety in the software library and/or test new things like Splatoon.

J

Jpop

Unconfirmed Member
Outside of the Wii series, it's also the most successful new console IP by Nintendo since the Famicom/NES.

I think what put it into perspective for me is that Splatoon would be the best selling new IP if it was released on the PS2.

correojon

Well deserved, the game is outstanding in many ways (awesome mechanics, cool characters, enticing lore and setting...) and the funniest I´ve played since the first Mario Kart in SNES.

Couldn´t that be said about any of the big 3 though?
Yeah, a huge problem qith MS is that they always release the same IP in every console. Halo, Forza, Gears, etc.
Yeah, a huge problem qith Sony is that they always release the same IP in every console. Uncharted, Killzone, God of War, etc.

As long as they keep the game´s quality high I see no reason for them to change this, in fact it´s one of their string points. Some of the reasons I had for buying a WiiU was knowing I would have a new Mario Kart, a Mario platformer, Zelda...

I'll not sure it's really a problem that they release critically acclaimed multi-million selling titles in their most bankable IP every generation.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Its the best game I have played in the past few years.

Its stopping me fromt rying out other Wii U games like NSMB, Wonderful 101, Pikmin 3

Taker666

It'll be interesting to see if they push Splatoon into other genres.

I could see the ink colour slowdown/speed-up + kid/squid mechanics, having some clever uses outside of a shooter.

A Splatoon sports game or a racer wouldn't surprise me.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Wow, those are really good numbers for Japan. It's even surpassed SSBM on that front.

What are the WW sales?

Wow, those are really good numbers for Japan. It's even surpassed SSBM on that front.

What are the WW sales?
Wii U Top10 as of March 2016.

Code:
Mario Kart 8				7.500.000
New Super Mario Bros. U			5.190.000
Nintendo Land				5.070.000
Super Mario 3D World			4.820.000
Super Smash Bros. for Wii U		4.800.000

Splatoon				4.270.000

Super Mario Maker			3.520.000
New Super Luigi U			2.490.000
Mario Part 10				1.760.000
The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD	1.720.000

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Just fantastic on so many levels.

A new Nintendo IP being successful.

An online-only game is successful in Japan (Japan hates online gaming. They hate competitive gaming. Remember that?)

And I just love the aesthetic. I'm happy to welcome these squid kids into mainstream Nintendo canon.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Always fun to look at this salty crow thread a year later:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1039957

Well, I was kinda right...

Splatoon looks really fun (I kinda regret refusing to play it at E3), and would be great if it was a major success, but I kinda doubt it. Among other reasons, I hear the single player mode is like 3 hours long. No bueno.

Wii U Top10 as of March 2016.

Code:
Mario Kart 8				7.500.000
New Super Mario Bros. U			5.190.000
Nintendo Land				5.070.000
Super Mario 3D World			4.820.000
Super Smash Bros. for Wii U		4.800.000

Splatoon				4.270.000

Super Mario Maker			3.520.000
New Super Luigi U			2.490.000
Mario Part 10				1.760.000
The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD	1.720.000

Thanks.

Not bad at all. With sales like that, it's already surpassed the best selling Starfox, F-Zero, and half the Zelda series.

Aldric

Well deserved, by far the best game on Wii U (despite how salty l got playing Ranked).

Now hopefully they create more new ips of this caliber on NX.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Go, Nintendo Garage, go!

Hopefully, Nintendo won't consider Star Fox Zero's divisive reception as an element to slow down the experimentation that brought us Splatoon, but I suppose there are more than 4 millions reasons to go on :p

Top Bottom