• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SportsGAF, do you care if your favorite team is "classy"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TraBuch

Banned
Does it bother you if you're rooting for a good team filled with assholes? In the past, I would've said yes, but after all the losing my teams have been doing lately, I say bring on all the talented, cocky douchebags out there.

Also, fuck you Trent Baalke and Jed York with your "winning with class" bullshit. Lotta good firing that asshole Jim Harbaugh did you.

I'd prefer them not to be full of assholes, but as long as they win, I don't care. I draw the line at having a team full of violent, woman-beating criminals though.

Thankfully, the leader of my favorite NFL team is probably the classiest QB in the NFL right now (RW3).

Sanjuro

That's a clown question OP.

It's really harder to find nowadays with the microscope the leagues are under. Also, most "classy" players ain't classy.

Kite

It does matter, I am disinterested in the Rockets because I dislike almost everyone on the team. Our main star is more interested in drawing fouls and going to the free-throw line instead of scoring and our other one is a mentally-weak diva who is about to opt out and leave in the offseason. Even when they were winning last season I rarely bothered to watch or follow.

The Texans on the other hand are not a very good team, but our GM specifically only gets high-character players. We miss out on a lot of talent, but we rarely deal with the DUIs and domestic abuse bs f other teams. I'm frustrated by the lack of winning, but I love the team.

SummitAve

Banned
I do care. Winning has a way of "fixing" everything, but bad character almost always inevitably hurts the team when the going ain't so good.

Cagey

Banned
The Giants conservative ownership and relatively geriatric fanbase cares far more than I do.

Besides the Cowboys Redskins and Eagles grant us untold levels of class by mere comparison.

Does it bother you if you're rooting for a good team filled with assholes? In the past, I would've said yes, but after all the losing my teams have been doing lately, I say bring on all the talented, cocky douchebags out there.

Also, fuck you Trent Baalke and Jed York with your "winning with class" bullshit. Lotta good firing that asshole Jim Harbaugh did you.

I mean what is classy to you? You described teams that are full of assholes...no I wouldn't root for a team like that. But for example I root for Golden State and Curry has celebrations. Some people think celebrating isn't classy. If celebrating isn't classy I don't want my team to be classy.

bchamba

Nope. Sports are a game and supposed to be fun, dance if you score a touchdown, take as long as you want rounding the bases after embarrassing the pitcher and hitting a home run, pound your chest and yell at the opposing fans when you hit a game winner in the closing seconds. It's all good.

edit: and for me this extends to all teams, not just the ones I root for.

Misha

Banned
Depends on what you mean by classy. I really enjoy someone like cam Newton but I'd prefer if the players didn't play to injure or do bad things outside the game but I'll still watch to an extent (which yes both happen on teams I like occasionally)

TraBuch

Banned
Not criminals or anything like that, just people that're good and know it and let everyone else know it. Show up other opposing players, talk a lot of shit, shit on fans of opposing teams that kind of thing.

Leunam

McLaren is so up their own ass about their image as a team. Hamilton leaving them for Mercedes was a great move on many levels beyond just winning more championships with them. The move allowed him to better be himself on and off the track. It bugs a lot of people, he's the butt of jokes because of the way he dresses or his Snapchat or #blessed, but the fact that Mercedes let's him do his own thing is a huge deal to me.

And when Ferrari hired Arrivabene, their pit wall become more fun to watch. Maybe it's because Rob Smedley was no longer there, although it's hard not to sympathize when your dude is the clear number two, but Arrivabene brings a refreshing energy to Ferrari.

Not against these shit heads

ku-xlarge.gif

Mindlog

Don't really care as long as they can handle the loss.
I'd be pretty devastated if my team talked that good then shrunk back when faced with adversity.

Azuran

Banned
As long as they're not criminals then I don't care how they act. I would love to have a team full of cocky assholes with no respect for the opposing teams.

"Class" is a bonus but winning without the players being abusive assholes is still awesome. The titles San Antonio won in the 2000's weren't any less sweet because Bruce Bowen liked to get under the legs of jump shooters, but 2014 was extra awesome given how they played.

BFIB

There's the MLB way.

Then there's the Cardinal Way to show how to properly handle being a St. Louis Cardinal, and also how to properly be a BFIB.

Mortemis

Banned
I think being classy in sports is overrated. I think sportsmanship is still pretty good, but not to a point where you can't even show yourself having fun.

Lemme see more bat flips, and more touchdown celebrations. I don't really care bout the opposing pitcher or defense getting their feelings hurt by it. It's fun to see, and that's part of the reason I watch sports.

Chelsea fan here lol, we're certainly not considered classy. While we've (aka JT and Mou lol) been involved a fair few embarrassing incidents, at this point it's just a label we're stuck with, that is perhaps unless we decide one day to play to implement Barca's ethos.

MrS

Banned
I'd find it hard to support a team full of dick heads (looking and cursing at Chelsea, Bayern, Barcelona, Newcastle, Leeds, New England Patriots and Man Utd fans). Very proud my club Middlesbrough FC have conducted themselves impeccably every year since their inception in 1876.

thelatestmodel

Junior, please.
Yes. I'm a Blackhawks fan, and I don't want to see any douchebag player on my team who is near-universally hated by fans. Generally the Hawks are a great bunch of guys, and Jonathan Toews is the classiest captain in the league, if not all of sport.

It pains me to see Duncan Keith overreact to agitation, retaliate, and get suspended. Thankfully I don't recall having anyone like Raffi Torres or Chris Pronger being on the team, at least not for some time. If those guys had somehow signed to play for the Hawks, I'd have a hard time watching.

dream

Yes. I'm a Blackhawks fan, and I don't want to see any douchebag player on my team who is near-universally hated by fans. Generally the Hawks are a great bunch of guys, and Jonathan Toews is the classiest captain in the league, if not all of sport.

It pains me to see Duncan Keith overreact to agitation, retaliate, and get suspended. Thankfully I don't recall having anyone like Raffi Torres or Chris Pronger being on the team, at least not for some time. If those guys had somehow signed to play for the Hawks, I'd have a hard time watching.
But you have Patty Kane on your team...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom