• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CRAWL V0.9: Kevin the Destroyer Update LIVE (4player couch-coop)

Unicorn

UJ8f7q4.gif

CRAWL is on STEAM for $10
http://store.steampowered.com/app/293780/

In case you don't know what this is, check out these amazingly narrated trailers (Who now narrates the start of every game!):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WY0N12w3csI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JH1BhKN9gEc
Hey guys it's update time again!

Each match now has a fully realized intro, where players battle it out to be the first as hero. We have a touch of story in there too, with randomized scenarios and narrator dialog to set the scene, with our poor heroes turning on eachother.

We have a new wave of monsters to destroy your bots and buddies with, ranging from a teensy fish to a hulking feathered bird abomination. We have a tentacled squid, a new skeleton mage, and a sneaky new gargoyle perfect for griefing!

We've made some new traps and artifacts to find, along with the usual tweaks and bug fixes across the board. We did upgrade to Unity 5 which unfortunately opens the door for some new bugs to sneak in, so please keep us posted if you see any weirdness!

As always, your feedback is invaluable in this process, so don't hesitate to tell us what you think about it all, and we'll do what we can to make everyone happy!
Features
  • Hero Battle Intros: The starting hero is no longer up to chance. Players battle it out in short randomized intros featuring our ghastly narrator.
  • New Monsters:
    The gigantic bird abomination grinds heroes in his beak
    The mind squid draws hulking tentacles from the earth
    The gargoyle defends by turning to stone
    The skeletal magelord throws flesh-seeking skulls
    The tiny fish is... kind of useless. Or is he?
  • New Artifacts:
    The Vampire Tooth drinks health from striking enemies when you're bleeding
    Cadaver Burst triggers a last-ditch explosion from your monster's corpse
    The Emerald Signet heals you when poisoned
  • New Traps
    The Dart Array spits a sequence of darts from an array hidden in the decaying walls
    The Spike Train triggers a course of spikes that pierces the sod, and the flesh of any who stand upon it
    The Dart Trap fires a cruel dart at any intruder that dares to cross in front
Tweaks and Balance
  • Teleporting tentacle prophet down from tier 4 to tier 3, making way for the new bird abomination and mind squid at tier 4
  • Spike traps more responsive, with quicker turnaround for multiple uses
  • Tweaked occurance of healing items- now less potions and more healing orbs
    Red Crystals occur more often
  • Audio level tweaks, including default game music volume a little higher
  • Individual god names now spoken on god select, with names spoken in reverse for taunt gods
  • Level layout tweaked so stores show up more consistantly
  • Ectothermic slime cost from 50 -> 40
  • Traps can now spawn in same room as monster statue
  • Bots better at dodging and attacking through ground damage
  • In the join menu, instead of just action button to toggle the bot count and AI difficulty, you can use left & right buttons
  • Two and Three player games don't reward leveling up with health as often

Bugs
  • Upgraded to unity 5. Should fix some issues (and probably cause others I've missed)
  • Updated control system. Should fix some controller issues
  • Fixed random crashes at startup for some people
  • Fixed small chance of rooms spawning on top of each other
  • Fixed Ghidraak heads not being cut off when took too much damage in a single hit
  • Stun statuses no longer reward with extra gold
  • Added missing statue for Horned Beast
  • Monster portraits better aligned on evolve menu buttons, and wrong portrait frames fixed for some monsters

New Boss coming in next update (Currently 2 main bosses), which, judging by this being 0.9 will come with the 1.0 FULL RELEASE of the game. This has been a wild ride for this game, but the Devs have been one of the best in communicating the work they are doing and the changes they are putting in, plus updates came at a pretty steady clip. This one took a while because it has added voice work and tons of intros prior to starting the game.

This is the best couch co-op/competitive game I have bought, and at $10, it is a goddamn steal even if you can only get your friends together for one night of drinking and playing.

Peterthumpa

What a silly comment...

Ok, I won't lie. I loved Towerfall, one of the best couch coop experiences that I had with friends. The thing that grinds my gears is why these games always follows this 8-bit trend that should've ended long ago. By the media in the OP, the animation is fantastic, character designs as well, so it's not like there wasn't a budget or anything similar to actually do something original for once. Imagine something like this but with Dragon's Crown graphics?

Unicorn

Ok, I won't lie. I loved Towerfall, one of the best couch coop experiences that I had with friends. The thing that grinds my gears is why these games always follows this 8-bit trend that should've ended long ago. By the media in the OP, the animation is fantastic, character designs as well, so it's not like there wasn't a budget or anything similar to actually do something original for once. Imagine something like this but with Dragon's Crown graphics?

It's two brothers, I assume is the real answer. One is coding, the other is doing the art/animation.

In other news it completely resets your save - Probably the move to Unity 5? Oh well, another 20 hours (not that it took 20 hours to unlock all the previous content) will be well spent unlocking gods, items, and monsters.

23qwerty

But... it looks really damn good already, why change it?

In other news it completely resets your save - Probably the move to Unity 5? Oh well, another 20 hours (not that it took 20 hours to unlock all the previous content) will be well spent unlocking gods, items, and monsters.

Oh dang that kinda sucks

Peterthumpa

But... it looks really damn good already, why change it?
Because in a sea of 2D side scrollers and whatnot, it's hard to set your game apart from the crowd. That's my impression, or at least what happens with me. If it wasn't for this thread I'd probably pass on the game while randomly browsing Steam.

23qwerty

Because in a sea of 2D side scrollers and whatnot, it's hard to set your game apart from the crowd. That's my impression, or at least what happens with me. If it wasn't for this thread I'd probably pass on the game while randomly browsing Steam.

I feel like it mostly looks unique enough, especially in the animation. It's got an overwhelmingly positive for reviews though. You're just gonna ignore it because it's "8 bit indie retro"?

Peterthumpa

I feel like it mostly looks unique enough, especially in the animation. It's got an overwhelmingly positive for reviews though. You're just gonna ignore it because it's "8 bit indie retro"?

Nope, but thank the OP's info for that. That's what I'm trying to say. If it wasn't for it, yeah, it would definitely pass unnoticed.

Oh, another retro 8-bit whatever game.

It's an art style. Developers are free to use the style they think suits their game. If an FPS developer wants to use the "gritty, quasi-real military" style for their shooter, they can. If a developer wants to use a pixel-art style, they can, especially if they think the style suits the game, or it's a style they personally like and want to see more of.

Unicorn

Man, this update has upped the styyyyyyle! Narrator Intros are bomb as fuck. Using the dude from the trailers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WY0N12w3csI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JH1BhKN9gEc

Also, shit feels sooo fast now. Shooting through levels and upgrade menus between stages - it all feels frantic and fast.

I need to get some of my friends together this weekend to get their opinions on the new monsters (after we spend a couple hours unlocking them all).

I wonder if they're going to incorporate more of the glitching audio/visual stuff down the line. The refining they've done in mechanics and aesthetics over the past couple years have all been spot-on.

Edit:

Fuck it. Trailers are still so good at conveying this game I threw them into the OP.

Peterthumpa

It's an art style. Developers are free to use the style they think suits their game. If an FPS developer wants to use the "gritty, quasi-real military" style for their shooter, they can. If a developer wants to use a pixel-art style, they can, especially if they think the style suits the game, or it's a style they personally like and want to see more of.
Well, I'm not saying that they can't, haha. Just that it doesn't appeal to me that much anymore and it's fact that pixel-art style fatigue is a thing.

Unicorn

Well, I'm not saying that they can't, haha. Just that it doesn't appeal to me that much anymore and it's fact that pixel-art style fatigue is a thing.

Check out the trailers to get a sense of what the actual game is like. I just posted them. The animation definitely brings these low-res sprites to life in a way most "8-bit" games don't.

Man this game is so much fun, too bad the few friends I had who liked games moved away :(

Maybe I'll go a few rounds with bots to enjoy the new content, haven't tried it with bots yet

Unicorn

Man this game is so much fun, too bad the few friends I had who liked games moved away :(

Maybe I'll go a few rounds with bots to enjoy the new content, haven't tried it with bots yet

Bots are supposedly improved. Hard AI has been a good challenge for me in the past. I wish they'd let you mix/match the AI to have maybe 2 Hard and 1 Easy and so on to better emulate an experience with people of varying skill. Or, even a random AI Diff option to mix them all up and keep the player unknowing at first. Sometimes I get grudges against certain bots haha

Unicorn

False alarm! It looks like my save just didn't carry over to my desktop. I played a ton on my Surface and going to my desktop made it seem it got deleted. Phew

Unicorn

DlItYxT.gif

We have another update ready and it's a spooky one this time, just right for Halloween!

Spirits have been given all manner of activities to spread terror through the halls; from rattling chains and bringing paintings to life, to levitating chairs and flinging them at unsuspecting heroes, the time has come to wreak spooky havoc on the living!

Our monsters this time are from the ocean depths, with a fish-flinging Sea Wizard, and a bigger badder Gargantuan Blobfish, packing even more punch in his horrid chomp than our existing fishy abomination. Beware those treasure chests, as some can now be inhabited by ghosts, creating vicious Mimic monsters to feast on heedless heroes.

To round it off we've tracked down a good bunch of those pesky bugs, and added some silly limited-time Halloween pumpkin props, filled with bats naturally, to help us all get in the spooky mood!

Features:
New Monsters:
A gargantuan mutated fish with a mighty chomp and a deceptively agile roll
Magic wielding monks hide their fishlike bodies beneath hooded robes, hurling water spells and summoning beastly fish turrets
New Object Haunting System:
Ghosts can farm ectoplasm by animating props around the dungeon
Many props can be levitated and thrown as makeshift traps
New Usable Objects:
Paintings, mirrors, shackles, bleeding grates and haunted stocks for ghosts to animate
Trees can now be drained by heroes to gain Vitality
Heroes can find bonfires, to rest and regain health
Mimics: Some of our chests can now be inhabited to turn them into vicious monsters
Halloween Pumpkins! Don't try to eat them, I'm pretty sure they're full of bats

Tweaks:
Kevin The Destroyer damage down
Wild Shaman spawned rats more aggressive
Many actionable props are now free (rather than costing gold/health)
Health no longer spawns lying around in the dungeon, now that you get it more readily from objects you find
Better feedback on interactive props dropping items
Added a popup when controller vibration is enabled to tell you that only Xbox controllers are supported.
Attract mode now gives sneak peak at things that haven't been unlocked yet
The outro dialog in the hero battle is now shuffled so lines don't repeat as often
Bots handle getting stuck a bit more gracefully
Characters stop and play little bounce anim when using an object in environment
Easter egg statues spawn less often
Tweaked spawn rates of some artifacts
Tweaked artifact prices:
Dwarven cog (30 -> 20)
Ectothermic Slime (40 -> 20)
Magic Ectoplasm (30 -> 20)
Human Heart (35 -> 20)
Bleeding Cross (15 -> 30)
Red Soul Gem (18 -> 30)
Feather of The Squinting Shrimp (35 -> 30)
Hymn of Betrayal (40 -> 15)
Gem shrines combined into one item in the vault so they're easier to find
Pentagrams spawn more frequently in mines
Spawn rates of chests, spawners, statues and crystals now more uniform between floors

Bugs:
Fixed a lot of reported exception errors that were causing a bunch of rare glitches
Winner of hero battle can no longer be killed by glub goo after killing other heroes.
Heroes no longer all get turned into frogs in the game intro if one player has the frog amulet
Updated unity and control system, should fix a bunch of random controller issues
Fix for black screen on startup on windows
New Xbox One controllers should now work (and no longer crash the game)
You can no longer both win and lose against the boss at the same time
Fixed rare case where boss fight wouldn't start after Ghidraak's intro animation
Fixed rare cases where human could die without triggering death sequence
Game saving should now work for DRM free version when not in administrator mode
Fixed input bindings being lost when game was exited
Bots no longer get stuck trying to reach a store teleporter that's unreachable
Bots no longer teleport around in boss fight
Colour of some monsters no longer incorrect when returning to challenge menu after a challenge
Fixed hero occasionally being rotated strangely when grabbed by Birdy McBirdface
Fixed pentagrams occasionally not letting players spawn
Blasting orb now explodes when it hits chests (so bots don't spend forever trying to hit them)
Being frogged as a monster no longer breaks some monster's colours
XP bar no longer comes up over dead heroes
Kourok door no longer smashable with sling
Fixed coins and XP pickups sometimes no longer have a crazy trail if they spawned outside a room
Gold coins no longer randomly stay tinted yellow
Fixed unrecognised controllers not working because they were being flagged as Xbox360 controllers
Blood pools now fade out with rooms

Thanks for your continued help as we steer the game towards completion, and as always don't hesitate to share your feedback and impressions. Your comments help us immensely!

Dave
Vengeful Spectre

Unicorn

F7tfXSQ.gif

Yo yo yo, here we are again with another update! We did our big pass on monster tweaks, some sneaky bug fixes and added a bunch of goodies in time for the holiday break too.

Features:
Monsters

-An eyebat bomber who fires powerful explosions
-A cluster of three eyebat hatchlings, who work together and can heal eachother
Traps
-The Double Beam Trap fires in two directions, bisecting the battle with its violent searing light
-The Homing Spike Block is magically drawn towards living flesh
-The Dart Spout Trap fires a fast and deadly dart in front or behind
-The Small Spike Block triggers more quickly than its larger brother
-Christmas treats
-Secret technique to trigger Hardcore or Nightmare difficulty on bosses
-Added the ablity to drop out and spectate a game
Tweaks/Balance:
-Monster balance:

-Skeleton mage: faster bigger projectiles, attack more responsive, less cooldown after projectile barrage
-Masked shaman: health up slightly, run speed up slightly, attack cooldown reduced, special cooldown reduced, attack is more responsive, dodge moves a little further
-Giant blobfish: chomp damage down, chomp stun time down, dodge distance slightly reduced, dodge invincibility window narrowed. Now evolves from kevin or fish wizard, with a slight discount from kevin
-Bone Warden: shield comes down quicker, shield stun slightly longer, attack more responsive, special more responsive, special damage increased and cooldown reduced
-Tier 1 eyebat: move speed slightly reduced
-Tier 2 eyebat: strafing movement decreased, tear knockback reduced, tear damage very slightly reduced
-Tier 3 eyebat: strafing move speed increased, beam knockback increased
-Tier 2 spikewurm: health slightly reduced
-Pirate skeleton: attack tweaked to be less likely to swipe right past the hero when he's close
-Flame archer skeleton: regular attack damage increased, short stun added to special attack, higher chance to set hero on fire
-Witch: regular attack cooldown reduced
-Tentacle brain: damage increased
-Fish wizard: health reduced a little
-Dragon: speed slightly increased, strafe movement increased, damage increased, projectile speed increased
-Satyr: fixed aim freezing with hold-to-aim
-Shield forest shaman: projectiles faster, less anticipate time on attack, less cooldown on special, shields not lasting as long but dropping closer in front and triggering parry on hit
-Lava Steve: health increased, heroes stop being sucked in once they get into goo, goo slows hero run speed
-Princess: attack cooldown reduced, with attacks doing a little less damage, attack movement tweak to better keep you in the X2 damage zone, and special cooldown reduced
-Scorpion attack damage reduced, but attacking quicker to make it more responsive
-Dark executioner: attack now triggers stun anim
-Blobfish: attack now triggers stun anim
-Hooded haunt: health slightly reduced
-Demon lord: grab no longer being cancelled by shields
-Tweaked some trap names in the vault
-Weapon special damage types (ice, flame, poison) now affect bosses
Bugs:
-Question marks now appear when return from boss fight
-When attack effects are tinted by special damage types (ice, flame, poison), any child effects or particles are now also tinted
-When standing still in spider web when it disappears you no longer keep playing stuck in web animation.
-Blood trail effect no longer randomly splats blood across the whole room
-Fixed rare case where Ghidraak heads wouldn't sever properly and he couldn't be killed
-Fixed a few other rare errors

This is most likely our last update before the big 1.0 (and the boss you've been waiting for). It'll be a few months until it's ready, so thanks in advance for your patience! We'll also be upping the price before then, now that the game's so close to finished.

Currently $10 on Steam (and worth every penny), but has been in a Humble Bundle for cheaper (and Steam sales), but I think if they do bump the price up it'll be around $15.

Top Bottom