• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lady Dynamite |OT| On Netflix May 20th - Maria Bamford, Created by Mitch Hurwitz

Status
Not open for further replies.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
U94e1FF.jpg

Comedian Maria Bamford stars in a series inspired by her own life. It's the sometimes surreal story of a woman who loses - and then finds - her shit.

Release date: All the episodes are up..

Links:

Netflix page.

Reviews:

• AC Club:

The structure is jarring enough that the meta-dialogue is actually fairly helpful in laying out Dynamite’s ground rules, as are the bright title cards to signal each temporal transition. But once the pilot has established, for example, that some characters will lapse in and out of character at will, even as others (like Maria’s present-day gal pals, played by Bridget Everett and Lennon Parham) continue playing it straight, the wisdom of its unorthodox approach becomes clearer. The show’s combination of a sad-sack sitcom, a coming-of-age tale, and a recovery narrative, all filtered through Bamford’s addled perspective, makes sense for a show with a protagonist constantly questioning if she’s experiencing the same reality as everyone around her.
  • Entertainment Weekly:

Yes, anything can happen in Bamford’s world, and that sense of endless possibility makes Lady Dynamite a joy to watch. Each episode loosely follows some semblance of a plot—one finds Maria dating a bisexual drug addict, another finds her acting in a racist sitcom—but the story is mostly an excuse to string together very funny, absurdist moments.

The humor can be caustic, but this is a surprisingly moving show about a desperate woman who wants so much to connect, she even builds a bench to share with the neighbors. Its broader critiques of the industry can feel too easy. The racist-sitcom episode would be more provocative if it didn’t just deal with white-person guilt. But as a personal statement, it’s a work of exquisite vulnerability, one that asks what’s crazier: a woman struggling with mental illness or the cultural norms that made her that way. It’s a question so troubling, you have to laugh.
  • NY Times:

As bizarre and non sequitur as the comedy in “Lady Dynamite” is, the show has an earnest core about breakdown and recovery. Only recently have TV comedies started to engage with mental health as story rather than punch line: depression in “You’re the Worst” and “BoJack Horseman,” and post-traumatic stress in “Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt.”

But “Lady Dynamite” has its own bizarre-sincere voice and its own dream logic. It’s something else, in a good way: a journey to the center of Ms. Bamford’s mind that dives through fantasy after loopy fantasy and emerges with something real.
  • Slate:

Maria Bamford’s new Netflix show is part sharp showbiz satire, part plaintive character sketch, and entirely unique.
  • Variety:

That said, the first few entries of “Lady Dynamite” are often as resilient and open-hearted as its lead character. Maria’s quest for self-acceptance, and her attempts to be kind to others as she learns to like herself, undergird the show and give it a strong center. Despite all of her painful trials, she remains curious about life and the strange beauty that often co-exists with pain.

Ultimately, “Lady Dynamite” presents such an amusing combination of humane wisdom and goofy wit that it quickly establishes itself as must-see fare. But don’t binge on this distinctive concoction. It’s best savored over time.

Created by: Mitch Hurwitz

Cast:
OaY3eak.jpg

Maria Bamford as Maria Bamford (fictionalized version of herself)

NbaGkGa.jpg

Fred Melamed as Bruce Ben-Bacharach

lhHkNjA.jpg

Ana Gasteyer as Karen Grisham

gFiKwb3.jpg

Ed Begley Jr. as Joel Bamford

JRUuFJz.jpg

Mary Kay Place as Marilyn Bamford

LvG3vxa.jpg

Lennon Parham as Larissa

xVkSLr1.jpg

Bridget Everett as Dagmar

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Beat me to the OT. :) Can't wait to watch this afternoon.

EDIT: Okay couldn't help myself and watched one this morning.

"Lil' Slaughters - Let's do something about mental illness"
And the Breaking Bad burn lol

Piichan

Banned
Watched the first ten minutes and hated it. Does it get better? I love Arrested Development, and thought this would be similar, but was turned off quite quickly.

Slacker

Watched the first ten minutes and hated it. Does it get better? I love Arrested Development, and thought this would be similar, but was turned off quite quickly.

I would probably say if your time is so limited that you can't risk wasting 20 more minutes to see if you like a show, bail out now. I found the last 20 minutes hilarious, but I don't think anything really changes over the course of the first episode.

bounchfx

watched the first episode earlier. fucking great. Glad to see more from her, she's really funny!

that intro sequence in particular got me. it's totally the type of humor I expected from her and I'm glad theyre not 'toning it down' as much sometimes happens

Salsa

this is Bamford as hell

meaning, I can really really get how some people might not dig it like, at all

im really enjoying it tho. hoping it goes even further into fucking "now we're goats" surrealism

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Show is slaying me the first ten minutes in. The manic scenarios, bamfords sweet disposition in contrast to her abrasive and vulgar friend.

Edit: Hey, fuck this fuck bench!

Monocle

I'm two minutes into the first episode and it's already going all in with Bammers' absurd humor. This Sassafrass Lady segment is incredible.

Edit: Holy shit, I'm going to watch this whole series.

Monocle

I finished the first episode, and wow. Lady Dynamite is so much more than I expected. Pure Maria Bamford comedy. It has her fingerprints all over it, like The Maria Bamford show but with an actual (and amazing) cast and a budget. I'm so happy this exists.

Maria deserves as much exposure and success as Louis CK. A great Netflix show is a fitting next step for her.

obin_gam

Three episodes in and I have no idea what I'm watching.
I haven't laughed once, but I sort of am not bothered by that.

Monocle

"Welcome to Aseriacene."

This got me good.

Also: (Episode 2)
"You get that mouth a bus ticket right outta dick town."

"I can show you my south mouth if you come out."

This show...

Edit: The race episode (1x03) was probably the best yet. No wonder this is getting good reviews.

Sai-kun

Banned
Really enjoyed the first episode. I'm glad she's got her pugs in this show 😂😭 Looking forward to watching the rest of the series!

She's my favorite comedian but I was afraid her humor might not translate well into TV. Thankfully it does and I fucking love it. The shit at the friendly lunch with the agent had me cackling.

"Get on the fucking Vespa!"

"...I have a car, but I guess I'll come get it laterrrrr"

Monocle

Really enjoyed the first episode. I'm glad she's got her pugs in this show 😂😭 Looking forward to watching the rest of the series!

She's my favorite comedian but I was afraid her humor might not translate well into TV. Thankfully it does and I fucking love it. The shit at the friendly lunch with the agent had me cackling.

"Get on the fucking Vespa!"

"...I have a car, but I guess I'll come get it laterrrrr"
Totally. The agent is one of my favorite characters. This show hits the part of me that delights in vulgarity dead center.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
This show is insane.

Episode 4, Maria Bamford's upper class Diane voice and "I'm a natural extrovert". Brandon Routh has a certain Tom Cruise thing going on.

Monocle

This show is insane.

Episode 4, Maria Bamford's upper class Diane voice and "I'm a natural extrovert". Brandon Routh has a certain Tom Cruise thing going on.
I absolutely adore her Diane voice. It's always been a highlight of her standup for me.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Watched 3 eps, I like it but its very strange / different, which is a good thing I guess. Third episode was my favorite so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom