• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Maria Callas, the greatest singer in recorded history, died forty years ago today

Mumei

vGl7lkj.jpg

Maria Callas died forty years ago today, on September 16, 1977. During her relatively short operatic career, she revived an entire repertoire, helped to restore vocal standards in another, became the first international opera celebrity—and created an artistic and interpretive and dramatic standard that remains the measure to this day. She continues to be one of the most commercially successful vocalists in the classical world to this day. Divas come and go, but La Callas stands forever.

I decided to make this topic today because, well, I am a fan of Maria Callas, I have read too many books, I wanted to put fingers to keyboard to organize my thoughts and clarify what I knew and refresh my memory on what I couldn't remember, and I think that there's no better time to remember someone who than on the anniversary of their passing. I do not have any musical background; I do not speak any languages but English; I have only been to the opera twice (Il Trovatore and Porgy and Bess at the Lyric Opera of Chicago). In this, I am a part of that public who doesn't really understand how ”deeply and utterly musical" Callas was. I have listened to her sing and listened to others sing the same arias, and I hear the difference. I have listened to her speak and sing in her Master Class; I read some of the excerpts of the book. But I don't have the ability to talk about it, so I will not try to address it here. I would, however, strongly recommend checking out Callas at Julliard: The Master Classes—or the CD—if that is a subject that interests you. If you are interested in reading about Callas' dramatic art, Forget the Callas Legend is a wonderful essay from 1999 that describes her interpretive art, particularly as it concerns her vocal choices.

Instead, I want to talk about Callas' accomplishments simply as a vocalist. Callas sang an extraordinarily large range of roles with wildly contrasting vocal requirements. In order to convey Callas' accomplishments as a vocalist, I must try to talk about several related subjects: the uses of the castrato voice; the progressive increase in the size of orchestras and performance spaces; shifting tastes in subject matter and demands for verisimilitude; the role of the voice in opera music; and the role of vocal categories in vocal writing for opera. With this context, it becomes easier to see how Callas was unique, even among those successor artists whose repertoire covered more of hers than is usual.

And yes, it's long. But I have pictures!

BBPQE6Z.jpg

Farinelli, widely considered the greatest castrato

During the Baroque Period, the castrato voice dominated the stage and set the limits of what was possible vocally. Castrati were, as the name implies, men who had been castrated. As a result of the physiological changes caused by the, er, alterations, castrati were able to achieve the kind of range and agility associated with female or child vocalists with more power than male or female voices, and a breath capacity far beyond that which could be found in any naturally occurring voice.

The castrati are strongly associated with the development of opera itself and the development of bel canto. Bel canto can be a difficult term, referring to a technical style of singing, an expressive or interpretive style of singing, vocal music written with that kind of vocal technique or interpretation in mind, and any era in which that kind of vocal writing was said to predominate. James Stark's Bel Canto: A History of Vocal Pedagogy, has a useful definition of the term that combines these:

Bel canto is a concept that takes into account two separate but related matters. First, it is a highly refined method of using the singing voice in which the glottal source, the vocal tract, and the respiratory system interact in such a way as to create the qualities of chiaroscuro, appoggio, register equalization, malleability of pitch and intensity, and a pleasing vibrato. The idiomatic use of this voice includes various forms of vocal onset, legato, portamento, glottal articulation, crescendo, decrescendo, messa di voce, mezza voce, floridity and trills, and tempo rubato. Second, bel canto refers to any style of music that employs this kind of singing in a tasteful and expressive way. Historically, composers and singers have created categories of recitative, song, and aria that took advantage of these techniques, and that lent themselves to various types of vocal expression. Bel canto has demonstrated its ability to astonish, to charm, to amuse, and especially to move the listener. As musical epochs and styles changed, the elements of bel canto have adapted to meet new musical demands, thereby ensuring the continuation of bel canto into our own time.​

While Stark argues that it is an exaggeration to say that ”the castrati were ‘the most important element' in the development of bel canto", because the principles used to teach castrati naturally preceded their creation, and the best treatises on the matter were written after their decline, it is nonetheless true that their extraordinary vocal capabilities meant that the castrati were able to set a standard for bel canto singing, though the principles preceded them. But given their odd status—no longer male or female voices—what did they do on stage? This is an important question, because in opera, the voice is the fundamental unit of character. This is why even quite stiff and mediocre actors have become successful in opera. The voice is the thing. The voice is always in the mind of the artists creating an opera—particularly the composer.

Vocal classifications—tenor, baritone base, soprano, mezzo soprano, contralto, and their sub-types—have developed powerful associations as a result of both convention and nonmusical stereotypes (e.g. the bass voice as inherently comic is the result of associations with rusticity and low class). These associations create relationships between vocal roles and vocal types. If you are a lyric soprano, you will play young women, even if you are not a young woman; if you are a lyric tenor you will play a young male protagonist; if you are a bass you will either play comic relief (your lowest note will function as a musical pratfall) or, later, a particular imposing male authority figure. In addition, particular kinds of vocal singing have become associated with particular mental states. Perhaps most notable is the ”mad scene" in which a soprano performs complex, elaborate coloratura which represents the incipient madness of the character. In any case, if you know your voice, you will know the kinds of roles that you should be seeking out. The composer's consideration of vocal classification for character, then, is related to questions of both dramatic and musical suitability.

When the usage of the castrati was at its peak, the opera that was written often used mythological figures. In playing roles portraying ”gods and mythological persons who presented male and female characteristics in a vocal hermaphroditic combination," castrati also bridged categories in yet another way. This bridging of male and female, in which the castrato's vocal range and ability broke categories of gender and vocal classification, made the castrato voice on stage into a kind of metaphor for the universal. It is perhaps notable that one of the signposts of the decline of the castrato voice was the shift from the mythological-centric opera seria to the more realistic character expectations of opera buffa.

The use of the castrati declined for multiple reasons, including the appearance of new operatic genres that required natural singers to play the characters, a shift to a vogue of more naturalistic subjects favoring natural voices, shifting moral standards (turns out, castrating boys so they can make superhuman music: kind of a bad thing), and the discovery of the operatic technique of voix couverte—covering—which allowed tenors to sing in their chest voice much higher than was previously possible. This last factor created a vogue for tenors that replaced what had been a preference for castrati over every other type of singer, and also effectively replaced the Baroque taste for incredible ornamentation with an affection for the power of the new tenor techniques using the chest voice. But the castrati continued to be influential indirectly, creating a template for expansive vocal writing that during the nineteenth-century bel canto era would be transferred to roles written for women starting in the late-eighteenth century, or around the time when castrati were in decline.

This period of vocal writing, from the end of the eighteenth century to about the middle of the nineteenth, was the period in which roles for a de facto hybrid vocal fach, the assoluta, was written. This fach, also referred to as alternately as a ”soprano sfogato" or ”soprano assoluto" is a vocal type which bridges traditional vocal divisions in female voices. Within those divisions, there are still more divisions: the coloratura, lyric, spinto, and dramatic all being prefixes one can assign to further delineate soprano, mezzo-soprano, or contralto voices.

This dizzying array of vocal delineation allows for very specific vocal writing for very specific voices. A dramatic soprano will have a powerful middle voice, an even more powerful upper voice, and will sing roles that feature high, stentorian phrases that emphasize her ability to dominate an orchestra. See Birgit Nilsson singing the finale of Götterdämmerung, for instance. The music written for a coloratura soprano voice will emphasize the speed and agility of her voice rather than power and stamina. See Ingeborg Hallstein singing Die Fledermaus, for instance. There are certainly roles that might be played equally successfully by a dramatic soprano or a dramatic mezzo soprano—Kundry from Wagner's Parsifal, for instance, has been played by both. But in these cases, it tends to be voices that are closer together. You will not see larger crossovers without sacrifices.

kpDGXdf.jpg

Lady Macbeth

The assoluta voice, however, bridges these vocal categories. She is able to sing high, light, and incredibly fast passages like a lyric coloratura soprano; dark, powerful low-lying passages like with a contralto-like quality; similarly powerful middle register passages like a dramatic mezzo soprano; stentorian dramatic passages like a dramatic soprano; and heroic coloratura passages like a dramatic coloratura soprano. In short, she is able to unite, at least for particular arias or particular passages, aspects of nearly the entire spectrum of the female voice, save for those roles calling for the very lowest contralto notes (below, say, F3) and the very highest soprano acuto sfogato notes (those above E6).

This type of voice is extraordinarily rare; in the twentieth century Maria Callas is the only generally agreed upon example of the type in the twentieth century, and there is no singer that I am aware of who fits the mark in the twenty-first. But in the late eighteenth and early nineteenth century, a handful of extraordinary female vocalists—Giuditta Pasta, Giuseppina Ronzi-De Begnis, Isabella Colbran, Mary Anne Paton—appeared who inspired composers like Cherubini, Von Weber, early Verdi, and, especially, Bellini and Donizetti to write roles that fit the unique abilities of these voices. In The Assoluta Voice in Opera, 1797–1847, Geoffrey S. Riggs identifies the roles those singers inspired as the culmination of several trends, ”when the intricacies of the fleet bel canto style were combined with the Romantic era's heroic declamation and formidable orchestral emphasis." Moreover, the roles also combined the ”castrato-exploiting metaphor of a large range" onto characters who were mortal (rather than divine) and portrayed by a female singer who, like the castrati, was capable of bridging divides of vocal category:

What more natural metaphor could there be for such a character than a voice of infinite variety with both heroic weight and flexibility. In opera, the expressive medium of character is the singing voice—it is the voice that is the persona of the music drama, not the fact and figure as in prose theater. The voice in the assoluta repertoire is capable of daredevil feats with a chameleon's ability to change color, and she is therefore given the most difficult music to sing, high, low, trills, roulades, sustained notes. She must have the flexibility of the trapeze artist and the strength of the weight lifter. And this bewildering capability, these feats of vocal derring-do, are a metaphor for her heroism, and the breadth and variety of her character is measured by her astonishing range.​

These roles all share several characteristics: ”extremely intricate and fully heroic fioritura, widely varied tessitura, a range extending up to at least high B natural and down to at least low B natural with at least one semitone beyond that in either direction, and a frequently emotive and energetic orchestra accompanying a dynamic vocal line necessitating a completely heroic vocal tone." In addition, this was the era that as early as the 1830s (when it was perceived to have ended) was referred to as the bel canto era. Moreso than in any previous era, composers wrote their vocal music with an understanding that the fioritura, the use of the lowest note to ”mark the falling action of the drama," the various forms of articulation that were written into the score were done so with emotional and dramatic intent. Thus, part of successful portrayal of the role is an understanding of the dramatic intent of the composer and the librettist, and successfully bringing out the meaning of the words with the notes the composer wrote.

These roles were a sort of logical telos for this direction of opera, but already by the time the last of these roles was being introduced, opera was just a few decades from the start of a new era: verismo.

Verismo was not a total revolution, but rather a continuation of already existing trends. It continued the trend of moving from representations of the mythological to representation of more mundane and ordinary and, most importantly, contemporary settings, the trend of increasingly larger orchestra sizes that called for more declamatory vocal production and greater volume, and the concomitant trend of decreased emphasis on virtuosity and vocal ornamentation in the pursuit of connecting musical expressiveness and musical drama. But it was a rejection of bel canto in this: Verismo was based upon dramatic expression rather than musical expression.

Elvira De Hidalgo, one of several people from whom Callas learned to sing in Greece, explained why the works of bel canto operas by bel canto composers had ceased being performed: ”We had difficulties with the singers because their technique was inadequate," and explained the verismo was easier because, ”If you have a good, strong voice you'll always be all right. But when there are notes calling for delicate coloring, agility, and all those difficult techniques of bel canto, you naturally need more intensive and exacting schooling of the sort that we had in the old days but has since been completely forgotten." This decline in vocal standards happened slowly, but it did happen:

Between 1920 and 1950 the standard of soprano and mezzo-soprano singing declined, with some exceptions of course, led by Claudio Muzio, who died suddenly in 1936, and Rosa Ponselle, who retired when still quite young, in 1937. As Rodolfo Celletti has commented, perhaps with a touch of exaggeration, ”[Most singers of those days] did not know how to make the transition from their low notes to their middle register. They had one octave that was rather unpredictable and precarious and another that was sometimes almost a shriek. They were unable to support their sound production with proper breathing, they found pianissimi and diminuendi difficult and, as for technical skills, they left those to their little sisters, the coloratura sopranos."​

Ocq2KUi.jpg

Rosa Ponselle, 21

Verismo does not and did not necessitate that one sing it badly, and in fact that were singers like Rosa Ponselle, Lilli Lehmann, Jussi Bjorling, Enrico Caruso, and others who made use of bel canto standards for vocal production. But the pressures of increased orchestra sizes, increased emphasis on dramatic expression over vocal expression, and declamation replacing the musical expressions of the bel canto era led to the decline, even if the exceptions showed that it was not necessary.

We made it to Callas!

In 1939, Callas performed her earliest role: Santuzza in Cavalleria rusticana. Interestingly, this opera is one of, if not the, earliest verismo operas. She performed the role as a fifteen year old student. In two more years, Callas had been signed by the Royal Opera of Athens, where she was already singing difficult, heavy roles like Tosca and Leonore in Fidelio; by 1947 she had begun singing La gioconda in Verona. But it wasn't until 1949 that Callas sang the role that began the revival: Elvira in Bellini's I puritani.

At that point in Callas' career, she had primarily sung dramatic and spinto soprano parts, including Princess Turandot in Turandot, Tosca, La gioconda, Leonore in Fidelio, and Brünnhilde in Die Walküre. It was this last role, Brünnhilde, that Callas was scheduled to perform in 1949 when she learned that she would be singing Elvira.

Mumei

She was preparing in Venice, dividing her time between her study of Norma, which she had first performed that November to great acclaim, and conductor Tullio Serafin's suite at the Hotel Regina. Serafin and Callas had begun working together in 1946, and he was to be one of the greatest influences on Callas' interpretive standards. While Callas was preparing, Serafin was also preparing for a performance of I puritani. One day, when Callas was in Serafin's suite, she saw the score of I puritani, and began sight-reading one of Elvira's arias. She was overheard by Serafin's wife who had just learned that the woman who had been scheduled to sing the role of Elvira, Margherita Carosoio, had fallen ill due an influenza epidemic and would be unable to perform in just over a week.

Knowing this, Madame Serafin asked Callas to sing the aria for her husband when he returned. She did, and Serafin didn't say a word. The next morning at ten o'clock she heard from Serafin: She was asked to come to the Serafin's room. When she arrived, not even having had a chance to get presentable, she saw the opera house's musical director. Serafin asked her to sing the same aria she had sung the previous night. Callas sang it again, and when she finished the two men talked quietly to themselves. Then Serafin told her that she would be singing that role in a week. She protested that she had several more Brünnhilde performances and that she couldn't take on this role so quickly. But he was adamant and insisted, ”I guarantee you that you can," and with that guarantee Maria said, ”Maestro, my best I can do. More than my best, I cannot promise." She said later that she was thinking to herself, ”If they are crazy enough to think that, then I—I was still young and, you know, and being young you have to... gamble." So, she gambled.

When news came out that Callas was to sing the role, there was considerable skepticism. But there is an interesting twist to this story. The role of Elvira in I puritani was debuted by Giulia Grisi. Grisi was a dramatic soprano who had some experiencing play assoluta roles, having played Anna Bolena and a slightly altered version of Roberto Devereux's Elisabetta. And yet despite this, Elvira had become so associated with the lyric coloratura voice—like Carosio, Lina Pagliughi, Luisa Tetrazzini, and no doubt others if you look—that the idea of a dramatic soprano singing the role by 1949 seemed ridiculous. What happened?

If you think back to the discussion on the effects of verismo: ”and, as for technical skills, they left those to their little sisters, the coloratura sopranos." This created a problem for a large number of bel canto era works. In the bel canto era, every role assumed you could use bel canto techniques to those ends. But because of the general decline in vocal standards, anyone who wanted to put on, say, La sonnambula featuring Amina faced a dilemma: The first option is to perform the play with a lyric coloratura soprano. But the role was written for a larger voice, and the orchestration and vocal demands for time spent forte and singing against the orchestra and occasionally a choir, the intensity of the orchestra during those passages, reflect those demands. In some roles, the role might call for an extended passage in a much lower register, as well. In this case, you are forced to cut lines, trim down the orchestra in certain scenes, transpose some of the lower lying passages. The second option is to perform it with a larger voice—but this way lies even more cuts due to the signal inability of singers brought up in the verismo tradition—which would be any singer with a voice big enough to sing verismo—to perform these roles.

In either case, you would be damaging the character. Remember, in opera and especially in bel canto the voice is a metaphor for character. As Callas said Serafin taught her, ”there was a reason for everything, that even fiorature and trills ... have a reason in the composer's mind, that they are the expression of the stato d'animo [state of mind] of the character" But the verismo tradition, which emphasized dramatic declamation and gestures—nonmusical gasps, sobs, cries, and shouts to accentuate the on-stage drama—had forgotten the language of bel canto. This meant that even when the coloratura sopranos were singing the material, it was done as a vocal exercise, lacking in any sort of dramatic interest.

So, Callas' performance of Elvira was a revelation. It began a restoration of bel canto musical and vocal aesthetics to opera, and caused a reevaluation of bel canto opera. She recreated an interest particularly in roles that had been pigeonholed as ”canary" roles; roles like Lucia in Lucia di Lammermoor or Amina. She also created a desire to rediscover works by composers like Donizetti, Rossini, and Bellini. Many of these roles simply didn't have a continuing performance history because of the shift in tastes and the absence of suitable performers. Anna Bolena was not played after 1850 until 1947, and it didn't again become something of a staple until after Callas' 1957 performance. Armida's first modern performance took place with Callas in 1952. Cherubini's Médée, albeit in a slightly altered Italian Medea version was revived by Callas in 1953, after having last been played in 1909. She was also a revelation dramatically; as Leontyne Price said, ”she merged the sound with the action."

In combining a serious study of the character in the story, a complete respect for the fidelity of the composer's intentions on the page, and an innate dramatic sensibility and stage presence, she was effectively one of the causes of a revolution in opera.

AGr2m9X.jpg

Amina, with other La Sonnambula cast members

She had opened a door, and by 1952, she performed, in a single year, Konstanze in Die Entführung aus dem Serail, Armida, Lucia in Lucia di Lammermoor, Gilda in Rigoletto, Lady Macbeth in Macbeth, Elvira in I Puritani, Norma, Violetta in La Traviata, Tosca, La gioconda, and this is not even counting recitals in which she sang vastly different arias from these roles, as well as arias from roles she had no performed in full, like Delibes' Lakmé. And then she added Medea in 1953, one of the most difficult of the assoluta roles. These were mostly bel canto roles. The revolution for Callas would arguably culminate with her now sadly lost 1958 performance of Anna Bolena:

The consequence of Callas's ”resurrection" of bel canto in about 1950 was that a forgotten repertoire came to be heard again and the vocal fireworks became once more ”the symbol of Armida's charms, of Elvira's dreamy, dazed state of mind, of the diabolical evil of Abigail and Lady Macbeth."​

Maria Callas was uniquely suited to bring off this revolution, because the roles that she was introducing were written for a voice like hers. Read a contemporary description of Giuditta Pasta's voice, and the resemblance to descriptions of Callas' own voice are nearly identical:

There was a portion of the scale which differed from the rest in quality and remained to the last 'under a veil.' ...out of these uncouth materials she had to compose her instrument and then to give it flexibility. Her studies to acquire execution must have been tremendous; but the volubility and brilliancy, when acquired, gained a character of their own... There were a breadth, an expressiveness in her roulades, an evenness and solidity in her shake, which imparted to every passage a significance totally beyond the reach of lighter and more spontaneous singers... The best of her audience were held in thrall, without being able to analyze what made up the spell, what produced the effect—as soon as she opened her lips".​

Callas had the same vocal characteristics, and her strengths were precisely those that made her the ideal candidate to revive the bel canto tradition, including the most difficult roles in that tradition.

In fact, those strengths made her the only candidate. In his book, The Assoluta Voice in Opera, 1797–1847, Riggs briefly discusses the characteristics of Callas' instrument over several periods, and argues she only managed to truly honor technically what she understood was required musically in assoluta roles for a few years. But despite his sober-minded criticisms of her shortcomings, his comments on her performances themselves stand out for how overwhelmingly positive they: ”immaculate" passage work; ”infinite reserves"; ”No singer rips through this monster of a role with such panache"; ”it may just be the finest extant example of her artistry anywhere"; ”magnificent"; and so forth. Even though there are certainly criticisms on every piece—a wobbled note here, a cracked release, a breath at any inappropriate time, diction that becomes cloudy, particularly in a later performance, a high note that veers slightly sharp, and so forth—the evaluations are, in the main, effusive.

And she's the only singer evaluated for whom that holds. For every other singer who features in the analysis of recorded assoluta performances, it is evident that there is some significant defect that holds them back from ideal representation of the character—whether it is eliminating lower passages, struggling with the demands of stamina, or simply struggling with technical requirements in ways that highlight how minor Callas' problems, such as they are, were being comparison.

Maria Callas' impact was not simply due to her vocal or dramatic abilities or musicianship, however. ”Maria" did not become ”Callas" until she lost weight. If you read contemporaneous descriptions of Maria Callas as a girl and as a teenager, you are confronted with the image of a girl whose appearance and weight is described in terms that, if you look at pictures of her at the time, are frankly rather baffling. But by 1953, she had decided that she wanted to lose weight for reasons she later described as both health-related and, naturally, opera-related. This is when she began to be a celebrity and not simply an opera singer. It is unfortunate, but nonetheless true.

This weight loss also changed Callas in another way: Her voice changed. In the recordings done in the years preceding her weight loss, Callas' instrument is naturally dark, voluminous, and rounded, with enormous and secure high notes and the ability to sing the most difficult material without sounding in the least fatigued. After the weight loss, the voice itself seems slightly lighter, though still capable of dramatic passages, as well as less rich, and began to see some inconsistencies in the production of high notes; most notably a ”wobble" on some notes that she would struggle with for the rest of her career. In two performances of the same aria, Il Trovatore's D'amor sull'ali rosee, in 1950—it's a C♯6, not a D6—and 1956, you can hear the changes in her voice. In the years that followed, she would continue to struggle intermittently with the wobble on sustained notes in her upper register and her tone would continue to have the more acidic quality it had after her weight loss. Despite these changes, many of her greatest triumphs, including vocally, occurred in the period 1954–1958. But by 1959, she had lost her E♭6 and E6. While she had returns to the stage in the early and mid-1960s, and we have recordings of her doing excellent singing even as late as 1969, the bulk of her recorded career is between 1949 and 1958. Her total live recorded output takes place between 1949 and 1964.

JstdoL6.jpg

Rosina, with Tito Gobbi's Bartolo

This is a very short time for an opera singer, and the fact that much of it—everything after 1953—was in a sense during a process of decline precisely when her voice should have been reaching its full potential has caused endless speculation on the causes of the brevity of her vocal career. Of course, one may well say that she didn't have so short a career, as Matthew Gurewitsch says in his essay ”Forget the Callas Legend":

People also say that Callas had a short career. Short? One chronicle tallies more than 600 performances of forty-one operas and operettas from April 2, 1939, to July 5, 1965. The earlier date was the debut of a fifteen-year-old student in Athens, stepping into the vocally challenging and emotionally draining part of the pregnant, excommunicated Santuzza in Mascagni's Cavalleria rusticana. Within two years the Royal Opera of Athens had signed her as a professional. She was put to work in the quintessential diva role of Tosca and as Leonore in Beethoven's Fidelio, a part of fiendish vocal difficulty that also calls on spiritual resources of the highest order. The next major phase of her career began in 1947, when she sang Gioconda at the Arena of Verona. Callas's work (by no means always abundant or to her liking, and frequently offered at the eleventh hour) then took her up and down the boot of Italy, to Sicily, to Buenos Aires, and to Mexico City. Her London debut, as Norma at Covent Garden, came in 1952 and marked her launch into the empyrean.​

But even if we take that argument into account, and note that her career was larger both in years and in performance history than is often noted, we still must address the fact that Callas' voice was a shadow of its former self in her final years, when she was still quite young. Why?

There has been no end to theories on the causes of her vocal decline, but the most popular theories include the following:

• Callas had an inherently flawed technique, and this practice of singing wrong led to her decline.
  • Callas sang the wrong roles for her voice.
    • She was a dramatic soprano voice who never should have been made to sing above the staff the way she did, and certainly should not have been singing the coloratura parts that she did.
    • She was a dramatic coloratura soprano who nonetheless should not have sung the dramatic soprano parts.
  • She sang the wrong roles not because they were wrong for her voice, but because she was too young and her still-developing voice was damaged by her playing difficult, heavy roles like Santuzza, Tosca, and Fidelio's Leonore even before she turned eighteen, and extremely demanding roles like Turandot, Norma, and La gioconda in her mid to late twenties, which caused her to have diaphragmatic weakness.
  • Her weight loss caused her vocal decline, arguing that its rapidity led to a loss of breath support due to weakened muscles. Those who make this argument also point to the appearance of the wobble after the weight loss.
  • Her unusually early menopause, revealed by her husband, while not the sole cause, was an important factor
  • She had dermatomyositis, a disease that among other things muscle weakness and could have affected her larynx

3yy1kc9.jpg

During her Julliard Masterclass in 1971

There is certainly no end of possibilities here. I believe that there are several good possible explanations based upon what I have read, but there is one fact that may change our analysis: Maria Callas had a wobble before 1953. In fact, she had a wobble by the time she came to Greece. She came to Greece in 1937. In The Unknown Callas: The Greek Years, Nicholas Petsalis-Diomidis describes numerous anecdotes in which Callas' wobble was noted. It was even noted in her earliest student production performance of Santuzza:

"Another of Mary's classmates at the Athens Conservatory, Lela Skordouli, who in 1940, under de Hidalgo's tuition, was learning the notoriously difficult aria ”Ombra leggera" from Meyerbeer's Dinorah, tells how one day she was walking with Mary from the conservatory to the Royal Theater on Ayiou Konstantinou Street. ”All at once I heard her singing Ombra leggera' quietly to herself. ‘Hey,' I said, ‘I haven't even learned that myself yet and now you're singing it!' And Mary answered, ‘But I sang all that stuff in America!' I was flabbergasted and then, of course, I understood why, ever since I first heard her as Santuzza, she had always had that wobble. If she had attempted to sing things like that all on her own when she was eleven or twelve, just hearing them on the radio and shrieking along with them, no wonder her voice had picked up problems was not under full control."​

Thus, if we expand the time covered by our analysis, we find that between 1937 and at least the mid-1940s, Callas struggled with a wobble, which was attributed to her youthful excessive singing even before she had training. But by the late-1940s, she has gotten the wobble under control and was becoming known outside of Greece. For those who were introduced to her from 1947 to 1953, the Callas wobble was not a known phenomenon, and her voice in 1952, after having sung her most varied and most difficult roster of roles to that point, showed no signs of a decline to come. The reappearance of her wobble after her weight loss was therefore thought at the time to have been its first appearance.

With this in mind, I think that the picture that best explains her decline is this: Due to her early between the ages of ten and thirteen, Maria Callas strained her voice singing both constantly and singing material that was far too difficult for a developing voice. This strain to her voice caused her to develop a wobble, which was present throughout her time as a student. As a result of hard work and effort, particularly with Elvira de Hidalgo, Callas managed to get the wobble under control by the mid-late 1940s. When Callas lost eighty pounds in a matter of months in 1953, it caused a loss of fabric in the voice, a loss of quality in the tone, and may have both contributed to and revealed weaknesses in her diaphragm that had been disguised by her using her weight for support, which Fleming argues may have been the case and Debra Voigt, who lost 135 pounds herself, also described. In addition, Callas had symptoms of premature menopause as early as 1957, and Callas' voice was being deteriorated by her dermatomyositis at least by the late-1950s according to a 2010 study by Italian vocal researchers.

I am less convinced by the arguments that her decline was caused by her having sung the wrong roles, or of having sung the wrong roles too young. Whatever damage she appeared to have suffered seems to have occurred when she was a child, well before she was on stage, and by the time she was in her mid-twenties, after having sung both the most difficult dramatic and lyric material in the repertoire, her voice seemed to be in perfect shape. I am still less convinced by arguments that her technique was inherently flawed; I believe that the problems were with the instrument rather than the player, and moreover that the playing did not cause problems but merely occasionally reflected them.

I don't think we can know for certain, but based on what I have read about her voice, about the early declines and impressive longevity alike from nineteenth-century assoluta voices, about her vocal profile from the mid-1930s through the late-1960s, and having listened to her sing with these facts in mind, this is the explanation for her decline that I have found most satisfying.

In the end, Maria Callas revolutionized opera, started a new performance tradition for a repertoire that in some cases had not been in practice in decades and even nearly a century, inspired an entire generation of singers who came after her or who were coming up during her own rise to fame to discover other lost gems of the era, demonstrated the possibility of applying bel canto singing to verismo—continuing a demonstration had a few other singers before her had also performed, set a new standard for musicianship and sensitivity and fidelity to the intentions of the composer and the librettist, and created performances that to this day remain reference pieces both for their vocal virtuosity and dramatic insights.

Callas career may have been short, and certainly ended prematurely, but it was not small.

qSF8Bx0.jpg

Another one of her many talents: Standing in front of windows

TL;DR:

Watch Maria Callas: The 20th Century Assoluta and Hybrid Voice Types Pt. 3 - Assoluta. I talked about most of the things conveyed in these videos, and linked to multiple examples, but if you just want to hear it in a single organized videos, those are good places to start.

Moppeh

Banned
I'm still reading through your post. But I just wanted to thank you for the write up. The world of opera is something I know barely anything about and it is cool to see someone write so enthusiastically about it.

I'm still reading through your post. But I just wanted to thank you for the write up. The world of opera is something I know barely anything about and it is cool to see someone write so enthusiastically about it.
Same thoughts. I can't read now, but I will definitely do so tonight. I can't let this hard work go unnoticed.

Mumei

Same thoughts. I can't read now, but I will definitely do so tonight. I can't let this hard work go unnoticed.

Thanks for posting! I half expected it to sink off the first page without anyone noticing it. :p

Queen of living and dying in D R A M A. Your flop current pop stars faves COULD NEVER.

H8NYzPi.gif

Lunaray

Critics really excoriated her. I'm not an opera connoisseur, but to my ears she still sounded great towards the end of her life.

Well, shit. I'm just starting to read the OP but it is extremely informative. My mother was a fan of Maria Callas but I don't know much about her so this is very useful.

Keikaku

That was an incredibly fascinating read and your passion for the topic really seems to shine through.

Thanks for enriching my Saturday morning by sharing your knowledge!

jb1234

She was a great musician but I was never a big fan of the voice itself. From that era, I'd rather listen to Steber or Schwarzkopf.

Fascinating, well-written topic.

With minor revisions, you could easily find somewhere to publish this online. You managed to captivate someone who doesn't know the first thing about opera.

Your writing ability is gripping, OP.

Mumei

She was a great musician but I was never a big fan of the voice itself. From that era, I'd rather listen to Steber or Schwarzkopf.

I haven't listened to Steber (suggestions?), but Schwarzkopf is sublime. I wish that account did a better job of identifying the pieces it uploads, but it makes for excellent listening nonetheless.

ure queen is slayed by the cash me outside girl. her new single is low key fire.

snatched your wig

sorry

mNuFLvN.gif

Yiazmat

cumBZ7l.gif

Queen!!!

I still have to finish reading everything, but I'll go ahead and post some of my favorite arias from her so far (I only started getting into opera in the last 7-8 months so my favorites are constantly changing)

Mercè, dilette amiche (I Vespri Siciliani) - I just love everything about this one. And I haven't heard anyone else that comes even close to her on this.

Al dolce guidami (Anna Bolena) - There's no words to describe how beautiful this is.

Madre, pietosa Vergine (La Forza del Destino) - This one has made me cry multiple times and I haven't even listened to the entire opera/know the full story yet, it's all her voice. This is probably the most emotional/dramatic aria I heard so far.

Caro nome (Rigoletto) - This one is amazing but the only reason I'm not 100% in love with this version is that I actually prefer Anna Moffo's version in some parts. Like this right here is great, but this is so much more beautiful. And even though Callas ending is exactly as written I still like Anna's ending more. But in terms of pure drama in the voice there's no comparison to Callas.

jb1234

I haven't listened to Steber (suggestions?), but Schwarzkopf is sublime. I wish that account did a better job of identifying the pieces it uploads, but it makes for excellent listening nonetheless.

Steber premiered Barber's Knoxville Summer of 1915, still a reference recording. Actually, one of my favorite Barber anecdotes is also connected to Callas. He considered her for the soprano role in his opera Vanessa but she turned him down. She claims it's because she wasn't comfortable singing in English. He suspected it's because she was afraid of being upstaged by the mezzo (who, to be fair has a significant role).

Africanus

Excellent write up, as always.

As a young boy, I recall always hearing opera on the radio as my father dropped my mother off at the train station.

That being said, despite my background as a jazz muscian, I had no prior knowledge of any of this.

I deeply appreciate this informative post.
If there's one takeaway I have from this, it's that I now know what wobble is.
Along with the differences between verismo and bel canto.

Incredible post, OP. I'll have to read the whole thing later when I have more time. Maria Callas is my go-to opera singer when I feel like blasting it in the car.

Awesome thread and extremely informative post, thank you for this. I'm a musician and I have a wealth of information but am sadly lacking in the operatic department so thank you for the knowledge. I have heard the name Maria Callas before and knew a bit about her but this is fascinating stuff to read.

I have tendinitis and carpel tunnel, which I undoubtedly got from improper technique as a youngster. I started playing music when I was around 9 years old but didn't start taking lessons until I was 15. It was around that time I started to learn proper technique which allowed me to play faster, more challenging pieces with ease. But in my 20s I started to feel pains associated with tendinitis. Even though I had corrected my technique, the damage had been done when I was younger from playing incorrectly. I'd wager that was the same thing with Maria Callas. When you damage your tendons/vocal chords, they unfortunately stay damaged permanently. You can take precautions and fix your technique but even still, there can be a nagging pain/issue that keeps you from being able to perform the way you used to perform.

One day, when Callas was in Serafin’s suite, she saw the score of I puritani, and began sight-reading one of Elvira’s arias.

I find this incredible too, by the way. Sight reading isn't that hard to do, it just takes practice. Sight singing on the other hand is brutally difficult, especially considering the material she was sight singing.

Mumei

cumBZ7l.gif

Queen!!!

Caro nome (Rigoletto) - This one is amazing but the only reason I'm not 100% in love with this version is that I actually prefer Anna Moffo's version in some parts. Like this right here is great, but this is so much more beautiful. And even though Callas ending is exactly as written I still like Anna's ending more. But in terms of pure drama in the voice there's no comparison.

She took it down a half step, but I am also really partial to this Caro Nome performance. She ends it differently than the one you linked to.

Steber premiered Barber's Knoxville Summer of 1915, still a reference recording. Actually, one of my favorite Barber anecdotes is also connected to Callas. He considered her for the soprano role in his opera Vanessa but she turned him down. She claims it's because she wasn't comfortable singing in English. He suspected it's because she was afraid of being upstaged by the mezzo (who, to be fair has a significant role).

Oh, I see. That is a lovely performance. I have a collection of Leontyne Price's studio recordings where she sings that same piece, though I prefer this performance. It is close between Price and this Steber performance for me, though.

Mumei

I find this incredible too, by the way. Sight reading isn't that hard to do, it just takes practice. Sight singing on the other hand is brutally difficult, especially considering the material she was sight singing.

She told an amusing anecdote relating to that:

"Serafin . . . called me to perform Isolde . . . I had just looked at the first act by curiosity and at the last minute he asked for an audition with me. And I wouldn't dare say I didn't know the opera, for I would have lost the audition . . . so I just bluffed. I said, 'Yes of course I know Isolde,' and I sight-read the second act. I don't know how. God must have helped me . . . and he turned around and said 'Excellent work, I must say you know the role well.' And then I confessed, 'Look, Maestro,' I said, 'I must say I bluffed' . . . Well, he was surprised and he appreciated me even more then."

I've seen other tellings where she signed for the role and then acknowledged that she didn't have prior knowledge of it.

Musician

Incredibly put together topic, Mumei. Hats off! Glad to see a fellow opera fan here on GAF.

Callas was absolute fire on stage and perhaps the greatest combination of acting ability, looks and vocal prowess opera has ever seen, but her voice simply has a certain quality that I can't bear listening to. It's not there constantly, but emerges in the upper middle register. I can't describe it in any other way than "hen-like."

Nevertheless, she was a force of nature. A true diva in every sense of the word. Riposare in pace, la divina.

Mumei

That's a great performance too. But virtually everything Price sang was.

Mmhm. Well, she did do some studio recordings for things she wasn't really suited for, but on stage she knew how to pick her parts. And it is fun hearing her try her hand at, say, Reiza.

Incredibly put together topic, Mumei. Hats off! Glad to see a fellow opera fan here on GAF.

Callas was absolute fire on stage and perhaps the greatest combination of acting ability, looks and vocal prowess opera has ever seen, but her voice simply has a certain quality that I can't bear listening to. It's not there constantly, but emerges in the upper middle register. I can't describe it in any other way than "hen-like."

Nevertheless, she was a force of nature. A true diva in every sense of the word. Riposare in pace, la divina.

Just keep listening and you'll Stockholm your way into appreciating it. :D

Musician

Just keep listening and you'll Stockholm your way into appreciating it. :D

I think it might have to do something with me working part-time as a vocal teacher for classical singers. I get the same discomforting feeling when I listen to Kaufman. Get your tongue out of your throat, young man!

Dyle

Great writeup. Love fine arts gaf

Opera's always been my cultural white whale, the one medium that I've never been able to get into and appreciate at a level which it deserves. It's a real shame, but I've never been able to dissociate it in my mind from the opera music my grandparents listened to when driving me to and from places as a kid. Posts like these are a good reminder of everything I'm missing out on

GDGF

Soothsayer
Amazing post! As someone who listens to opera casually I really enjoyed that read. Thanks for taking the time.

jb1234

Mmhm. Well, she did do some studio recordings for things she wasn't really suited for, but on stage she knew how to pick her parts. And it is fun hearing her try her hand at, say, Reiza.

She was a great Verdi singer. She also ruled at (Richard) Strauss. Man, I've been going on a binge thanks to this thread. Haven't heard some of this music in years. I worked with opera singers for a long time and when I got home, I'd listen to ANYTHING other than opera, haha.

Mumei

I think it might have to do something with me working part-time as a vocal teacher for classical singers. I get the same discomforting feeling when I listen to Kaufman. Get your tongue out of your throat, young man!

I hear that quality with Kaufmann, but not in Callas. It sounds veiled or bottled or something, but I don't hear that tongue-in-her-throat quality that you're describing.

She was a great Verdi singer. She also ruled at (Richard) Strauss. Man, I've been going on a binge thanks to this thread. Haven't heard some of this music in years. I worked with opera singers for a long time and when I got home, I'd listen to ANYTHING other than opera, haha.

Leontyne's performance of Verdi's Libera me domine is to die for. The note at 6:57 is just gorgeous.

Speaking of Strauss: Do you like Ingeborg Hallstein? I adore her performances of Strauss' Frühlingstimmen ,Großmächtige Prinzessin, and this, which I linked to in the first few posts.

And going back to Leontyne, her voice never sounded more limpid than in Chi il bel sogno di Doretta. I have always been disappointed by the live versions I've found, where she performs it at a fast tempo. :(

Rayis

Any thread about anything singing written by Mumei is always worth reading~

Maria Callas is indeed an opera legend, nobody has sung like her since nor had the vocal abilities, though as mentioned before, her tone was a little difficult to get used to especially after her weight loss.

Ahasverus

Is this the best OP ever written? Yes it is.

Thanks Mumei, I'm gonna sing up to classical singing like, right now, who knew?

Maria Callas is an icon and I'm glad she was born in a time where we could hear her forever.

Hope her music gets remastered one day. It can still. Sound better.

Musician

I hear that quality with Kaufmann, but not in Callas. It sounds veiled or bottled or something, but I don't hear that tongue-in-her-throat quality that you're describing.

No no, that was only for Kaufman, not Callas! Callas' tongue is a whole 'nother matter!

Speaking of tones to die for, the line from 5.38 onward towards and beyond the High C Pianissimo in this is to die for. Caballe is generally a bit cold for my tastes, but my god her technique is to die for.

Mumei

No no, that was only for Kaufman, not Callas! Callas' tongue is a whole 'nother matter!

Speaking of tones to die for, the line from 5.38 onward towards and beyond the High C Pianissimo in this is to die for. Caballe is generally a bit cold for my tastes, but my god her technique is to die for.

Oh, I see. Speaking of men: Who do you like?

And you think Caballe sounds cold? I wouldn't say that she sounds warm, exactly, but I also don't think she has that chilly quality that, I don't know, Nilsson has (and I love it there!). Or do you mean the kind of sterile performance quality? I hear that. But anyway, this, as the upload title suggests, is another gorgeous performance.

And despite what people say about Callas, she does have her moments. The concluding Caro Nome trill that Yiazmat linked to is also absolutely gorgeous.

jb1234

Speaking of Strauss: Do you like Ingeborg Hallstein? I adore her performances of Strauss' Frühlingstimmen ,Großmächtige Prinzessin, and this, which I linked to in the first few posts.

I've actually never heard Hallstein but I like what I hear. Very pure, bright sound, very agile. Great, now I have to listen to Araidne. Thanks. :p

(I've been on a big Strauss kick lately. Nilsson singing Salome and Elektra is pretty much where it's at.)

Mumei

Habanera from Bizet's Carmen is one of my most favorite songs of all time and her rendition of it is masterful.

Habanera was the first aria I heard her perform, I think!

I've actually never heard Hallstein but I like what I hear. Very pure, bright sound, very agile. Great, now I have to listen to Araidne. Thanks. :p

(I've been on a big Strauss kick lately. Nilsson singing Salome and Elektra is pretty much where it's at.)

Hallstein has an incredible upper extension. And I wish her Chim Chim Cherie and Mit 'nem Teelöffel Zucker (Just A Spoonful of Sugar) were on Youtube, but fortunately Vöglein soll'n nicht hungrig sein (the German title for Feed the Birds, naturally) is! I get a kick out of her Mary Poppins covers.

And she's no slouch at Mozart, either! That performance is a lot more dramatic than most of the material she does, and she performs it live. I assume it was at a recital, since I seriously doubt she sang the role in full.

Edit: Forgot one more thing: The pianissimo that concludes this is stunning.

Top Bottom