• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rocket League Xbox One/PC cross-play coming today

Wow, it didn't take long. Just received:

------------
ROCKET LEAGUE CROSS-NETWORK PLAY ARRIVES ON XBOX ONE AND STEAM PC

Psyonix Celebrates an Historic Moment in Multiplayer Gaming

SAN DIEGO, CA – May 24, 2016 – Independent videogame developer and publisher, Psyonix, announced today that the sports-action hit, Rocket League™, now supports cross-­network play between the Xbox One and Steam PC versions, making it the first-ever Xbox One game to do so. Nearly 2 million Xbox One players have competed in Rocket League™ since its launch in February 2016, but starting today, that pool of teammates and opponents grows even larger.

With this new addition, players can now easily include (or not include) cross-network rivals in both public and private matches, thanks to an easy-to-find toggle check box in the Options menu.

"We're really excited to bring Xbox One and PC players closer together," said Jeremy Dunham, Vice President, Psyonix. "Cross-network play has been something that Xbox One gamers have been asking us for since the day we launched, and thanks to Microsoft's new cross-network policies, we're proud to give it to them."

Xbox One and Steam PC cross-network compatibility is scheduled to release worldwide starting 3pm PT/ 6pm ET/ 10pm UTC.
-------------

Sony, your turn now. (edit: I mean full PC/XO/PS4 cross-play, as MS said they would allow it)

shiyrley

Banned
wat

But how does a PC player choose between playing with Xbox One players or with PS4 players? Because this doesn't include Xbox One - PS4 cross play, right? How will this work without full cross play?

AllGamer

Sony, your turn now.

Not-This-Shit-Again-anime-28533251-604-340.jpg

But Sony already has cross-play with PC... /s

Will this mean PS4 players suddenly have less PC players to play from at any one time now that the PC community is being matched up with XB1 players too?

That's why they need to get Bone/4/pc matchmaking up and running. The companies already do love fest shit on twitter. Come on let's go already.

Now if you could choose to play with people in party, that I'd be even more excited for. I now own this game on both consoles and PC. Lot of new friends are playing on XBox, but the frame rate on some maps is pretty jarring when I play on my One. Not sure if this is common or just me.

Kayant

Sony, your turn now. (edit: I mean full PC/XO/PS4 cross-play, as MS said they would allow it)

*Everyone's turn.

Just because MS said their network is open doesn't mean everything and anything is allowed without meeting requirements.

Edit -

Also this mean XB1 being included in open qualifier 2 is more likely

Just because MS said their network is open doesn't mean everything and anything is allowed without meeting requirements.
Obviously, but DCU doesn't even have XO/PC cross-play, which means they simply didn't want the hassle. Psyonix already "met their requirements" for PC cross-play, so probably they would do the same for XO/PS4 cross-play. It probably wouldn't be a zero-effort task, but one first step if for Sony to allow it.

jediyoshi

Obviously, but DCU doesn't even have XO/PC cross-play, which means they simply didn't want the hassle. Psyonix already "met their requirements" for PC cross-play, so probably they would do the same for XO/PS4 cross-play. It probably wouldn't be a zero-effort task, but one first step if for Sony to allow it.

I think this topic being news in and of itself means that would be somewhere past step one.

Considering the time this cross play implementation took after they got the ok from MS, I'd say PS4/XBO will take another fair bit. They might have gotten the ok from both. They were still working out the politics of it with both sides last time they mentioned it.

I'm not sure what the deal is behind closed doors, but I'd say it's Microsoft's turn now as they've not said in public how this will work. On that note I've maintained that Sony will probably flip them the bird if the way they want it to work is for PS4 owners to sign up to Xbox Live on their console.

GoaThief

Nice, now to enable us to disable Vsync on the XB1 (it's broken) and I'm all set.

Baby steps towards PS4 vs XB1 too?

Nzyme32

Great assuming there are no issues. Will be annoying if there is no toggle to choose between ps4 crossplay and Xbox crossplay or both with the Steam Version. Currently the PS4 & Steam crossplay works great, but if there is an issue with the Xbox connections and the only option is to lock both out, it would be pretty shit.

Kayant

Are you a dev? Do you work for either MS, Psyonix, Sony and know the things needed to make cross-play work?

Well if not then you can't claim to say the hold up is with any of these parties because none of them have their requirements/policies open to the public.

We know Sony are not inherently oppressed to cross-play, MS are now "open" to the idea of cross-play. That's all we know. Anything else is speculation.

People need to think past the PR of being "Open". The worst analogy ever but let's say I announce my house is "Open to all" then at the door I have a fine print saying *Shoes must be left at the doorstep*. Point being without knowing the requirements/policies for interacting with either network saying the "ball is in X court" is silly as Shuhei Yoshida said before the technical side of things is not usually the hardest part but the legal side.
Wait, so can I get my Xbox friends to join a private match with me on PC?
Yh you should be able to :)

Bluforce

But a PC player can recognize if an opponent is on PS4 or XBO?

"Psynet" avatar is generic at this point. Would be nice if each platform had a proper avatar.

This is awesome, was just talking about this the other day with a friend.

Sony's turn to make this complete, but they have very little interest in it.

Inb4 the "Shu said" force comes out. When Sony implemets this policy they've supposedly had for years is when it will be effective. Not based upon the words of an executive years ago on another game.

These threads are always great for finding out who has fallen for Microsofts PR and also doesnt know Sony's history of allowing cross play platforms.

The ball is in Sonys court

The ball is still in Microsoft's court. Full-stop. Want the ball to be in Sony's court? MS can remove all the restrictions that prevent Sony from being able to really do cross-play, while posting garbage about how Microsoft is so open to it to make it seem like a Sony problem. If you are the one late to the party, you are the one who makes concessions, you don't get to dictate terms to the people who are already there.

Until that time, MS are still the ones preventing cross play, not Sony...as Sony has been open to it for years.

It amazes me just how much credit Microsoft always gets for playing catch-up, post Xbox One reveal.

But a PC player can recognize if an opponent is on PS4 or XBO?

"Psynet" avatar is generic at this point. Would be nice if each platform had a proper avatar.

They could probably fix it for the PC version, but if they ever do PS4/Xbox cross-platform play they may have a problem with having the Xbox logo on a PS4 game and vice versa. Not sure how certifications work there.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
I'm not sure what the deal is behind closed doors, but I'd say it's Microsoft's turn now as they've not said in public how this will work. On that note I've maintained that Sony will probably flip them the bird if the way they want it to work is for PS4 owners to sign up to Xbox Live on their console.

And vice-versa wouldn't happen?

Caayn

Good, next step full cross-platform.

And for all the ball is in X's court talk. We don't know the exact policies of both companies regarding cross-play, only a very rough outline.
It could simply be that both are stubborn and demand things that aren't possible for the other platform.

Gowans

Awesome, really hope this is the start of it rolling to everywhere and both consoles.

Hope they release some new news on connecting PS4 and Xbox.

madmackem

Yep, I meant full cross-play with XO too, as MS already said they've got no problem in doing it.
Again ms tossed out that statement with zero information, how does it work, who's servers does it need to go through, what do ms want information wise, it was a great bit of pr by ms with zero to back it up. All fart no shit as we say over here.

Yudoken

One step closer to finally stop system separation of cross platform games.

Hopefully more devs follow Psyonix lead and will make all platform crossplay possible in the future.
And of course for shooters pc players should have the option to decide if they rather want to play crossplay with a pad or mouse and keyboard against pc only.
That's the best way to handle it and that would be the best way to balance it.

Games like Titanfall (2), Call of Duty, Fifa and especially games like Trackmania and Trials (which both would extremely benefit from it because track sharing is currently only on the same platform possible) hopefully do it someday too.

Stopping arbitrary restrictions like platform only online multiplayer was always annoying but it seems to be changing slowly for good.

Get the game whatever your platform is and play it with whoever you want.

Yudoken

I'll give it until the weekend to decide whether or not I should buy the game.

It's a brilliant and fun game, if you have a pc you can basically try it out for under two hours thanks to steam refund.

Even a 4 year old Notebook with a dedicated gpu can run it and most people have either a pc or notebook laying around.

That's pretty damn neat.
A question to Rocket League players:
What about cheaters? Are they much of a problem? Or did Psyonix did a good job with anti-cheat?

Top Bottom