• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mortal Kombat 1 is adding cross-play support for PS5, Xbox and PC in next week's patch

Draugoth

Gold Member
mortal-kombat-1-3-1440x810.jpg

Mortal Kombat 1 will be getting cross-play support in February 2024, NetherRealm Studios has confirmed.

“Cross-play is coming in February between PS5, Xbox Series X/S and PC, so we’re very excited about that,”

Community manager Tyler Lansdown said this week.

NetherRealm confirmed plans to add cross-play support to Mortal Kombat 1 in a post-launch update when the game was first announced in Mayy Mortal Kombat 1 Season 3: The Cryomancer, which is themed around the arrival of Sub-Zero as the main boss in Invasions mode, launched on Thursday.

Last edited:

MiguelItUp

Wayyyyy too late IMO. So many fighting game fans will already be into Tekken 8 at that time. I had hoped MK1 would be better than X and 11, but the end result felt worse in a lot of ways. The campaign is pretty good, which is really the only plus, but everything else just felt more lackluster. Of course they had no problem at all monetizing things.

It's a shame because growing up with MK makes me automatically love the series, but for me personally, it all started plummeting after 9. But because of my connection, I don't want to just give it up. Here's to hoping the next game is better. Really hope the whole Kameo system doesn't come back either.

CamHostage

I wonder why the Switch version is excluded, but considering that it has frame issues, that's possibly the only answer.

It's its own version of the engine, ported by an external studio. So not only is it not handled directly by Netherealm and likely not very friendly to cross-play because of technical drawbacks, but it likely has a lot of tweaks and custom code for the Switch version which would make it incompatible or at least difficult without some extra work.

Last edited:
It's its own version of the engine, ported by an external studio. So not only is it not handled directly by Netherealm and likely not very friendly to cross-play because of technical drawbacks, but it likely has a lot of tweaks and custom code for the Switch version which would make it incompatible or at least difficult without some extra work.
Yeah, MK11 runs decently on the Switch, but that's a UE3 game, MK1 is UE4.

Frames are really important in Fighting games.

Last edited:

bumpkin

Cool, now fix the cross-progression so us suckers who bought the game on Switch can pick the game up for cheap on PS5 or XB1 and not have to start over unlocking shit.

Top Bottom