• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What do you think of the climbing (just the climbing) in the Uncharted series?

This has been something I've considered not just about the Uncharted series, but for any semi-realistic climbing in other games.

Ever since finishing the first game and starting the second game in the series back to back, I was convinced the climbing/traversal was great during combat and for breaks between the combat, but not much more. Once the limits of it became clear to me and I was no longer at the edge of my seat during leaps, wondering if I'd actually make it, or if the scenery wasn't particularly gorgeous or if I wasn't focusing on the animations, it was just me going through the motions. I felt similar about the climbing in the first of the Tomb Raider reboot (played through all of that) and Assassin's Creed (only played the first chunk of the first game and the multiplayer in Brotherhood). In those games, I either didn't mind it or even kind of enjoyed it when it served a particular end (TR: backtracking through the Metroid-lite environment to get somewhere, AC: during multiplayer where everyone could freerun, so it being "hold button to freerun" no longer seemed dull).

UC4 improved on the climbing without fundamentally altering it — you can still hold a button to not grab a ledge like in the previous game, grabbing ledges occurs automatically if the jump/reach goes far enough like with most games, and the animations are still generally great. It now lets the player reach for handholds without having to tap the X button unless it requires an actual leap. It's also accompanied by sliding and rope swinging.

Even though it's improved, it's a lot more prevalent in 4 than it was in previous games. It's still great during combat especially with some QoL improvements, but the climbing itself became what I thought it would when I went to replay the game (since I bought the game and enjoyed replaying one or two of the past games): just going through the motions. Again, I genuinely find it fun and appreciate how streamlined it is when I'm climbing up a wall while getting shot at, just not on its own. There are plenty of games I enjoy merely moving around in (Super Mario 64/Sunshine/3DWorld, Batman Arkham City/Knight, Grow Home, Vanquish, Okami, Ratchet & Clank: a Crack in Time w/hover boots, some others), but the only one I can think of that makes climbing on its own fun is Grow Home, and that game's approach wouldn't work here because of how goofy it would look for "realistic," character models.

The biggest problem for me is I can't think of any way to make it more fun on its own and at its core without affecting its use in combat. If it becomes something any more complex or involved, then traversal during shootouts could become less viable. If strictly climbing-focused sections become more freeform (many more handholds, vines-walls, piton-able surfaces), that might be harder to program, or mess up the visual design of the environments, or deviate too far from the focus of the game (maybe; just having more places to climb rather than really linear paths could be all that it needs). I was curious what people think could be done to make it more fun on its own.

WadeitOut

Lara Croft and Nathan Drake have the upper body strength of Spider-Man.

I like the way climbing feels in both UC4 and the two newer Tomb Raider games. It's really floaty and unrealistic but slow climbing in games drives my ADHD wild.

It works in the context of the game, a means to an end to its narrative ambitions. Not sure why we need it to be, IDK, a fuckin Japanese action game mechanic with Super Mario style momentum or just-frame grabs for extra swing speed.

Might as well ask about the walking/sprinting in the Call of Duty games. It works? Its functional? I press a button, an action on screen happens, and thats good.

ghibli99

Kinda boring at this point, especially since you can rarely die during traversal. If they integrated some type of timing component to it (not a QTE, though) that made some moves more skills-based, it could be improved and add a better sense of danger/precariousness.

When that danger doesn't exist, I think it's important that there be a significant spectacle involved visually. It gets old staring at walls or cliffs.

On a sidenote, I could do without the endless one-handed saves and chest landings on ledges that would destroy every damn rib in your body. They're dull and overdone.

I love it, but I also miss the days of platforming being a challenge. You never get better at climbing and it feels too safe.

The clocktower section of the game was great at making it feel a little puzzle like. But I want more danger like in old platforming titles.

I dislike climbing in pretty much every game that has it. It feels as boring as walk and talks to me because it's just press forward to proceed through padding.

In uncharted though I will say it's the least boring because there's some variety and beautiful set pieces.

Bishop89

I think it's great. Really shows you're in an adventure, trying to get to this otherwise impossible to reach location, whilst being a visual treat at times and also plays into the combat as well. Also the set pieces etc... Are well integrated with climbing too.

It's boring as shit and pointless. The "platforming" elements have always been the worst part of the series by far
How is it pointless?

I think it's great. Really shows you're in an adventure, trying to get to this otherwise impossible to reach location, whilst being a visual treat at times and also plays into the combat as well. Also the set pieces etc... Are well integrated with climbing too.

How is it pointless?

It's scripted for the most part so it's pointless.

I never cared about it until UC4 where they suddenly decided it was a core pillar of the game's pacing without making any significant changes to way it functions as a branch of UC's gameplay. I don't have an issue with climbing being fast, fluid, and simple, but if they wanted to put that much more downtime climbing into the game, level design and traversal puzzles should've been made much more interesting. More traps, more timing based jumps, more combining mechanics while platforming, more puzzle solving involving high risk jumps and momentum, etc.

The temple in Napal + Ice Caves in 2, and the Malaysian Clocktower in 4 are as good as the climbing's ever been in the series. I wish UC4 was filled with stuff like that. I don't need it to be Super Meat Boy precise and difficult, but at least give it some life.

One thing uncharted 4 made me think of

How amazing it would be if naughty dog made a game similar to elder scrolls series. Or a dino game

The scenery is drop dead gorgeous in uncharted 4

sn00zer

Very very boring. It has less skill than Assassins Creed and that is saying something. It works well during combat, but outside of combat it really is just way too easy and kinda brain dead.

farisr

Uncharted 1 it was basically a means to just progress through the level. didn't care much for it.
Uncharted 2 it looked cool.
Uncharted 3 I can't remember what I thought of the climbing.
Uncharted 4 was the first time I loved it. It felt good. Possibly due to the animations, feeling more natural (like realistically reaching out for handholds with arms stretched out, which you otherwise would've had to jump to in past games) and the addition of swinging plus the piton added another dynamic to it.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
It sucks.

Some nice animations they added. But it's boring and basically just sucks. Sorry to say.

Elitist1945

Loved it in all the games. Of course Uncharted 4 made it better than ever, though. Love how in 4 you could
just use the analogue stick to climb instead of constantly pressing X.

How is it pointless?

Because it is zero challenge and is clearly there to pad out game length and show off beautiful graphics, instead of actually trying to add anything interesting from a game play standpoint. It's literally pressing a button and a direction and watching an animation with zero consequence.

I like it. Until Drake refuses to jump where I want him to. In combat sections though they are super valuable to me since I love pull downs.

I have always thought of the climbing as just getting from Point A to Point B, set piece to set piece. So I don't really think needs to be anything more than that.

Uncharted 4 was the first time I disliked the climbing in the series.
The climbing served as nice breaks between the action in previous games. In Uncharted 4, the majority of the game is climbing.

There is no tension or excitement to it. It's simply boring.

It's boring as shit and pointless. The "platforming" elements have always been the worst part of the series by far

This, plus the shooting being mediocre makes the love for the series completely confusing to me

Those two things are like 95% of the series and neither are very good

poodaddy

I think it's boring as hell and I've always thought that, but if it wasn't there the game would be nothing more than a passable tps with two or three puzzles per segment. I suppose it's needed for pacing and gameplay variety purposes, but I'm not a fan.

It's great combined with all the other things that the game throws at you while you are doing it.

I wouldn't play a game based on it alone of course, but luckily, the UC series has never designed most aspects of itself to be taken alone rather then as a whole.

JBuccCP

It's dull. Feels like mindless busywork. The only emotion it elicits in me is occasional frustration when you fall or can't find the specific thing they want you to grab.

I never cared about it until UC4 where they suddenly decided it was a core pillar of the game's pacing without making any significant changes to way it functions as a branch of UC's gameplay. I don't have an issue with climbing being fast, fluid, and simple, but if they wanted to put that much more downtime climbing into the game, level design and traversal puzzles should've been made much more interesting. More traps, more timing based jumps, more combining mechanics while platforming, more puzzle solving involving high risk jumps and momentum, etc.

The temple in Napal + Ice Caves in 2, and the Malaysian Clocktower in 4 are as good as the climbing's ever been in the series. I wish UC4 was filled with stuff like that. I don't need it to be Super Meat Boy precise and difficult, but at least give it some life.

Basically this. If they actually made the level design more interesting then I wouldn't have much of a problem with it. Aside from the clocktower they really didn't do much with it. It's not engaging enough to be such a huge pillar of the game in it's current state unless it's used in more a tactful manner. The occasional rock slide and rope swing is not enough. They lack their own unique flavor due to how samey these segments are. It just comes off as filler to find the next worthless treasure with no story or description attached. If there were more segments that were engaging as the ice caves in UC2, I don't think anyone would take issue with UC4 not being Super Mario.

neto

super boring, at least add some fatigue or something to make it more interesting, pop2006 was better, you had to react and press the corresponding button to not fall in some areas

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
One thing uncharted 4 made me think of

How amazing it would be if naughty dog made a game similar to elder scrolls series. Or a dino game

The scenery is drop dead gorgeous in uncharted 4

It's gorgeous because it doesn't have the scale of an Elder Scrolls game. ND are probably better at graphics than Bethesda by a wide margin, but if they had to make a game as complex as an open world RPG you can be sure the graphics would suffer.

TheBowen

Sat alone in a boggy marsh
Super boring mostly and sometimes stupid hiccups with the game make me fall to my death

Unless somethings happening or a huge vista is being revealed climbing in uncharted ( or any game really ) is boring. Thankfully in uncharted the climbings relatively fast if you spam X

As some have said though i enjoyed 4 but felt like there was way more padding in terms of climbing then previous games with nothing interesting going on in terms of vistas, action, or even dialogue. Game just seeemd to repeat the whole ' swing here, climb here, walk a bit, climb,swing, climb, , get box and move it, climb , climb, cutscene'

NotLiquid

I thought it was mostly okay in the first two games but the introduction of the grappling hook in Uncharted 4 made me realize I yearned a lot more for actual depth in platforming. The introduction of that element was so great I actually became annoyed at a lot of fluff the game (and the series in general) had been doing that only really pads the game out without much thought. I'd like to feel more involved mechanically even if there is a narrative beat/direction the player needs to head to.

ManeKast

Boring, inconsequential and pedestrian.

I think in 1 it was a cool novelty but it wore off over time. In 4 I just found it pointless.

It's probably my biggest complaint with Uncharted 4. I love the animations, I like that there's now an element of 'steering' Nate's hands to the next handholds, but ultimately there's just nothing to it. Nate's out there risking his neck, freeclimbing on sheer cliffs a thousand feet in the air, but you the player are just sitting there casually aiming your analogue stick around; there couldn't be a bigger disconnect.

I like the climbing piton you get in Libertalia, but you barely have to use it in the game and you're never under any pressure when you do. I think they either needed to make the platforming more difficult, so you'd actually be invested and excited when clambering around (like you are in gunfights), or just not make platforming such a huge part of the game. I mean, you spend hours up on those cliffs in U4.

Krejlooc

Banned
Brainless. It's just button mashing through a cutscene, like QTE with none of the finesse. I actually think Uncharted on the Vita did it best, where you could draw a path and it'd automatically do the bit for you. Not that it was particularly great on the Vita, but at least it was closer to an actual cutscene without having to mash X.

Mr-Joker

Banned
Scripted to the point that the most casual players can easily progressed as the platforming in the Uncharted series is super simple with no skill involved.

Peltz

The biggest problem for me is I can't think of any way to make it more fun on its own and at its core without affecting its use in combat. If it becomes something any more complex or involved, then traversal during shootouts could become less viable. If strictly climbing-focused sections become more freeform (many more handholds, vines-walls, piton-able surfaces), that might be harder to program, or mess up the visual design of the environments, or deviate too far from the focus of the game (maybe; just having more places to climb rather than really linear paths could be all that it needs). I was curious what people think could be done to make it more fun on its own.

You don't improve it. You remove it because it's not fun.

This is my biggest problem with Umcharted games. Traversal feels too scripted and it just doesn't work for me at all.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
The climbing bits wear out their welcome rather quickly, because they drag on for so long. There's no real fear of failure, so it becomes a matter of how much longer do I have to endure this?

I don't mind climbing around, but let's cut the length a bit.

Minustephen

Neo Member
The games were never about the gameplay for me, so it was easy to sidestep. But yeah, kinda pointless... immersion breaking, to be honest, for probably all the reasons everyone has already listed... Beautiful games to look at it and the narrative is just so dang good. Great example of appreciating what's there, not griping over what isn't.

Mechazawa

It being so prevalent in 4 was a complete fucking bummer.

What was once a brisk way to break up poor shooting mechanics/firefights now became an over-reliant crutch for a game that finally carved out a great shooting/stealth model.

It worked fine for the previous games, but it legitimately held back 4.

Boring. There is no actual skill involved, you just do it. Doesn't help that Unchqrted 4 cranks it to 11 and puts the combat on the back burner.

SephLuis

Having replayed UC 1-3 recently, the platforming is supposed to be brain dead.
At lesat, I don't expect anything more than that in an UC game.

They could make it a lot more interesting, but I feel people would complain about difficulty or how it doesn't fit with the rest of the game. Uncharted, as a series, have a simplistic design that is done really well.

I would love to see ND try it's hand at a more challenging platformer title. Just not with the UC IP.

LukasF

Actually, I thought calm navigation (ie. non-combat traversal) was the greatest gameplay improvement in U4. It always felt like gameplay to me, not just means-to-an-end and not entirely linear. There's always more than one path to progression, tons to explore, several ways to do it. And so much well-placed banter and storytelling moments as well, now that the line between gameplay and cutscene has been blurred so much.

If you found it a pointless chore between fights then my guess is you're not a treasure-hunter... and IMO you're missing out on one of the most satisfying (if optional) pillars of the game :)

Some of those secrets were REALLY well hidden in U4, required tricky jumps and exploration in areas you wouldn't think to go. Masterfully designed.

Top Bottom