• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Six Days in Fallujah - New Gameplay

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

• 🎮 The video is a gameplay of Six Days in Fallujah.
  • 🔫 The gameplay shows a team entering a building to clear it of enemies.
  • 🚪 The building has two windows on the right and a door on the left.
  • 🌟 The team splits into two groups, with one group providing cover while the other approaches the door.
  • 🏢 The building has lots of windows and is buttoned up pretty tight.
  • 🌿 The team uses vines on the left side to climb up to the roof for a top-down approach.
  • 💻 The video is accompanied by an article that explains different tactics for entering buildings in urban combat, focusing on the "fatal funnel" problem.
  • 🏠 Marines and soldiers use specific tactics to avoid the fatal funnel, such as climbing to rooftops or entering through windows.
  • 🔍 The article references the OODA loop methodology used when house clearing.
  • 📌 Top-down clearing method suggested by Sergeant Anutai to defeat enemy defenses oriented towards the bait floor and catch insurgents inside by surprise.
  • 📌 Multiple ways to access top floor buildings, such as planks, staircases, and rooftop entry, indicated by green binary, but characters are vulnerable to incoming fire during animation.
  • 📌 Showing off a transport vehicle called AAV that might have a big gun on top.
  • 📌 Climbing animation and environmental cues, such as vines, indicate places for players to climb.
  • 📌 Clearing out an entire section of a map by climbing over buttons and cleaning out each house.
  • 📌 Gorgeous interior of a house with AI missing targets or bullets barely missing targets.
  • 📌 Discovery of weapons, explosives, and mines in a house, which they might blow up instead of transporting.

People who commented are excited about the game and its realistic gameplay. Some are glad to see the progress and the updated buildings. Some people pointed out that the audio when shooting could be more deafening, and character models could be updated. One comment mentions point shooting with an ACOG, and another comment points out that the radio communication within close proximity in the game is confusing.

Loomy

Thinks Microaggressions are Real
This game has been in development for almost 15 years now, and it's still in this state. No physics of any kind on the curtain in the window there. Not reacting to the environment or the motion of the model jumping through the window.

They claimed at the time(2009) that this game would feature better destruction than any game that was out at the time...

Last edited:

fatmarco

This game has been in development for almost 15 years now, and it's still in this state. No physics of any kind on the curtain in the window there. Not reacting to the environment or the motion of the model jumping through the window.

They claimed at the time(2009) that this game would feature better destruction than any game that was out at the time...
It's not even the same game to be fair, it's just the same IP. That was a 3rd person shooter by a different developer.

I was hoping they'd had made better progress on this considering they have some good legendary developers working on it, but it looks very sloppy at the moment.

And someone correct me if I'm wrong, is climbing vine leaves a) possible or b) have any examples of historical usage in the 2003 Iraq war lol?

jaysius

Banned
Wait, this wasn't posted on April Fools?
Dave Chapelle GIF by MOODMAN

supernova8

Banned
Are you using ia for the tldr of the video?

Lol Draugoth Draugoth better step up his game soon.
lol IbizaPocholo's threads are already borderline spam and unwanted updates of obscure games 2.5 people care about. Now powered by AI!

Will Ferrell Reaction GIF

back on topic.... the game looks shit.

You've been able to do basically everything this game is offering in Squad for years now. No excuse. Just cancel it we don't need it.

It’ll interesting to see how they do this or if this really is a simulation of actual battles in Fullujah with mission briefs, PCI, PCC if any. Especially for those of us who fought there…

Who am I kidding, I’ll never play this game. Just looking at the gameplay puts the stench of rotting and burning corpses in my nostrils.

GymWolf

lol IbizaPocholo's threads are already borderline spam and unwanted updates of obscure games 2.5 people care about. Now powered by AI!

Will Ferrell Reaction GIF

back on topic.... the game looks shit.

You've been able to do basically everything this game is offering in Squad for years now. No excuse. Just cancel it we don't need it.
Don't be hard on the dude, he does an unpayed job for the community.

VN1X

Banned
Was pretty excited for this back when it was originally revealed, if only because it apparently also dealt with the more psychological aspects of it all (supposedly) but so far all I see is more staged gameplay that only works in multiplayer?

As someone else said I was hoping this would be more along the lines of Ready or Not or just give us the straight up singleplayer portion of Insurgency Sandstorm that was supposed to come with the game. Oh well, perhaps it'll find its audience but I don't think it's for me.

Apparently this flew under my radar for two years. I had no idea they had revived this game! Man, the premise always sounded so exciting, I love military tactical games, especially those based on real operations. It's definitely on my radar now.
Yea man, when I saw this revealed out of the blue I actually screamed out loud at work.

I think you're extremely misrepresenting what is going on.

This is not the game from 2009. It obviously looks completely different.

This hasn't been in development since then. It probably started production around 2 to 3 years ago by the looks of things. It's still in Alpha.

That old game was also being funded by Konami which dropped out.

Loomy

Thinks Microaggressions are Real
I think you're extremely misrepresenting what is going on.

This is not the game from 2009. It obviously looks completely different.

This hasn't been in development since then. It probably started production around 2 to 3 years ago by the looks of things. It's still in Alpha.

That old game was also being funded by Konami which dropped out.
So you're right. Development did restart, in 2016. You have to acknowledge that this still looks pretty rough for a game 7 years into its development and supposedly coming out in the next 9 months (was supposed to come out last year).

The latest footage is also labeled 'pre-beta', which I assume means this is more or less the build they're now calling beta internally. Obviously they're going to be polishing this before launch this year, but it's still in a rough state for a game that is supposedly 6 months out.

I also don't know if their original pitch of this being a based on a real mission is enough of a draw still.

supernova8

Banned
Don't be hard on the dude, he does an unpayed job for the community.
You're right. Sorry IbizaPizza!

It's just meme-level amusing, whenever I see one of his posts I know it's going to be either something generic or a necrobump update for a game nobody cared about 2 years ago and nobody cares about now. Still... better than
bloody Eddie.

Love Ya Season 3 GIF by Broad City

So you're right. Development did restart, in 2016. You have to acknowledge that this still looks pretty rough for a game 7 years into its development and supposedly coming out in the next 9 months (was supposed to come out last year).

The latest footage is also labeled 'pre-beta', which I assume means this is more or less the build they're now calling beta internally. Obviously they're going to be polishing this before launch this year, but it's still in a rough state for a game that is supposedly 6 months out.

I also don't know if their original pitch of this being a based on a real mission is enough of a draw still.
Yea I can see that movement isn't the smoothest but honestly when I play FPS games of this tactical nature I don't need it to feel like butter. A lot of people conflate slow and heavy/rougher animations with poor development and jank. Just look at how much people complain about the slow animations in Red Dead 2 which I think compliment the atmosphere in that game.

If you've ever worn any kind of equipment, web gear or plate carriers with a weapon in your hand (I've played airsoft for over 12 years so I've personally worn all combinations of equipment) you understand how hard it actually is to perform any kind of movement smoothly. Now exemplify that to real life where a Marine is carrying actual heavy ammo and life sustaining equipment and I for one can understand why the devs may actually be animating things this way purposely to some degree.

I'm not sure where you've seen that game is coming out in the next six months? For all I know this game doesn't have any kind of relative launch date yet and I follow it pretty closely.

As for the overall theme and story of the game, that is a HUGE selling point for me. Games like Ready or Not already exist but that doesn't interest me bcause it's based on SWAT teams and active shooters not the Marines kicking in doors in Fallujah.

The only other game that takes on a non fiction story in the Middle East is Medal of Honor 2010. That game is based around the events of Operation Anaconda, The Battle of Takur Ghar and Robert's Ridge (Niel Robert's was a Navy Seal that got killed on the peak and is the one of the characters you play as in the game by the name of "Rabbit") in 2002. It's the only footage of a Medal of Honor recipient, a man named John Chapman being captured on video performing the actions that got him awarded the medal posthumously.

The last missions especially is honestly pretty scary how accurate it is. You actually play the whole thing out more or less as a fictional character named Dante Adams.

But anyway, the Chinook door gunner gets shot in the head, the helicopter crash lands, 3 rangers that jump out the back and get instantly killed, then you call in an airstrike on the enemy bunker but because you're so close to the enemy (inside danger close) the two F-15 jets overhead are forced to use their 20mm nose cannons while flying at 500mph instead of dropping bombs. All of this actually happened in real life and it's fucking insane.

Sorry for the tangent haha, but bottom line is that there is so much room for stories like this to be told and we've only ever got one other game like it. So I'm in full support of this game 110%.

badblue

6 Days is trying to be more of a Ready or Not CQB type game with some sort of procedurally generated combat zones that you can play solo if you want. There are mission's based on real events that did happen in Fallujah told by people that were there doing those things all against AI.

Squad to my knowledge doesn't offer that and requires a server of other people to fully enjoy.

Phase

What's funny about this is it's not getting me hyped about it's development, it's making me want to play Insurgency Sandstorm or Squad instead.

This has been in development since I was still in high school. I understand one of the reasons was the controversy regarding the subject and the horrors that occurred in Fallujah, but at this point they should just let it go. There are tonnes of realistic military shooters out there, look at Insurgency and Squad as two prime examples.

Phase

Some game play popped up on my feed today.

Honestly, it looks like development is going well. I don't particularly like the footage as it's a tightly controlled show here (I watched what Big Fry put out). Let's see some gameplay showing how people would really play it.

JayK47

How can a game be developed for so long? Imagine working on this for the whole time. Like that is your entire career. One shit game.

Top Bottom