• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Caffeine addiction

Status
Not open for further replies.

MogCakes

This morning I walked into work feeling like shit. Felt like I wasn't truly awake once I sat down and this lasted an hour until I decided to make myself a cup of coffee. I felt wide awake afterwards. Is this a sign of caffeine addiction? I find myself drinking coffee almost every work day now.

Ron Mexico

This morning I walked into work feeling like shit. Felt like I wasn't truly awake once I sat down and this lasted an hour until I decided to make myself a cup of coffee. I felt wide awake afterwards. Is this a sign of caffeine addiction? I find myself drinking coffee almost every work day now.

I would guess it's a fair part psychological since 1 cup of coffee would do the trick. I'm on my 3rd cup of coffee after having a Monster this morning and could still take a nap given the opportunity.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
It's definitely a thing.

ud5NnD2.gif

sophora

Most likely. I have about a cup a day but try to take a few days off the stuff so I don't rely on it to wake me up in the mornings. I just splash cold water in my hair and wash my face in the mornings, helps wake me up enough.

rtcn63

Just take a few days off. Caffeine tolerance resets itself pretty quickly, either go cold turkey during the weekend or try to limit yourself to one drink a day for a bit. And make sure to have aspirin and time to ly down on hand.

Dr. Buni

I drink between 5 and 10 cups of coffee every day. If I don't I will have the worst headaches. Good thing I love coffee!

nasax

I had headaches and slept a lot when I quit cold turkey. I definitely recommend it be a weekend thing if you do try to quit otherwise cut back by half every few days or so.

I drink between 5 and 10 cups of coffee every day. If I don't I will have the worst headaches. Good thing I love coffee!

Jesus, ten cups. And here I felt bad about my four lol

MogCakes

Yeah it almost felt like I was drugged until I drank a cup. Are there any substitutes for coffee without the caffeine part? Maybe green tea.

wbsmcs

Have about 3-4 before lunch. 1 after I eat my lunch. And then another 2 to finish off the day. Trying to cut down to only 5 a day.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
It's a thing. I never understand how people can function like this, but alas, I see it all around me.

Coffee/caffeine doesn't even wake me up. I drink (iced) coffee purely for taste, as an enjoyable drink sometimes.

Theandrin

I just recently cut myself off from it too. I stopped drinking coffee and drastically cut back on soda. I might have one coke a week now. Those first couple of days were killer with the headaches and being lethargic.

I've been addicted to caffeine in some form most if my life. I'm incredibly sensitive to it. If I have a cup of coffee past 5 pm I'm staying up until 3-4 am guaranteed.

I've stopped and starting drinking coffee 20-30 times. I'm sure my story isn't unusual

I just need more sleep. I can't sleep at all due to the late sunsets and 5am sunrises. Needing 6+ cups to get through a day nowadays...

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Yes, caffeine withdrawal is real and it sucks. Headaches and cold sweats if you go cold turkey and it's bad enough. If you're trying to cut back, do it in moderation. Change your afternoon cup of coffee to water, or even a lower caffeine tea to help.

JoeNut

just yesterday i realised i have this, over the past couple of weeks i've been feeling like shit and having headaches if i don't have caffeine.

Today i've just drunk tea, no coffee, and it's not been too bad

SaganIsGOAT

I just cut it out cold turkey last week. Day 5 here and I'm still alive! Yesterday was the worst by far but I'm looking forward to resetting my tolerance

diffusionx

Gold Member
Caffeine withdrawal is an annoying headache. Yes, annoying, but with the way peopl etalk about it you'd think they are going through heroin withdrawal.

And I consume 5-5.5 (meas)cups of coffee every morning...
WITH sugar-laden creamer

I'm gonna die

Can't sleep Dorito Pope will eat me

I think I'm starting to get addicted. Some days I drink over a litre of coffee and others nothing. The fact that the consumption was so intermittent helped delay the onset of addiction since I wasn't taking coffee every day. But I've been very stressed lately, so the days with lots of coffee have gotten more common, while the days without coffee are much more rare. I'm starting to notice that I feel a lot more tired on the days I avoid coffee, even if I had enough sleep.

I probably consume close to a gram of caffeine a day. My preworkout is 400mg caffeine.

Jesus! I accidentally took about 400 mg during a mountain bike race because I failed to notice the gels I was taking during the race had a ton of caffeine. At the end of the ride and was so pumped up and angry I threw my bike like it was a discus after I crossed the finish line. I had about 3 flat tires on the last downhill and went crazy! I barely noticed my wife standing there , her arm in a sling due to a crash she had in her race.

Ever since then I am very careful about how much caffeine I take since I apparently have a Hulk inside me.

Jesus! I accidentally took about 400 mg during a mountain bike race because I failed to notice the gels I was taking during the race had a ton of caffeine. At the end of the ride and was so pumped up and angry I threw my bike like it was a discus after I crossed the finish line. I had about 3 flat tires on the last downhill and went crazy! I barely noticed my wife standing there , her arm in a sling due to a crash she had in her race.

Ever since then I am very careful about how much caffeine I take since I apparently have a Hulk inside me.
This sounds fucking hilarious.

I try to keep it to 1 and usually do. Holy fuck at some of you guys.

rtcn63

Was it a caffeine pill? From experience, pills hit you MUCH harder than drinks with the equivalent amount of caffeine content. Maybe it's because you're not sipping it over time.

If some of you are only drinking 2-3 cups and feeling withdrawals after one day you may want to look into decaf (if it's the taste). Bodies process metabolism differently and if your body is poor with metabolizing caffeine you'll feel that jolt of energy much quicker, and longer.

erlim

yes, that talented of a member
God I get the worst come downs after coffee these days. It's ridiculous. One cold brew and I'll need like a few glasses of bourbon after a few hours just to not feel like garbage.

Lately I have one cup in the morning and a small red bull in the afternoon. It's been doing wonders for me, but I'm afraid that it'll stop being so effective after a while. I try and skip any afternoon caffienw when I can.

BriGuy

I pretty much gave up caffeine years ago and I'm never tired or groggy in the mornings. That said, if I have a single cup of coffee now, I'm all but guaranteed to be awake past 2:00 AM.

I tried to ditch coffee for a week once but I did not have any withdrawal symptoms. I guess we're talking about waaay more than one cup a day?

Icefire1424

Definitely addiction OP. As mentioned though, it's not a particularly difficult one to kick. I have several cups of coffee daily, and if I miss a day or don't get a cup until later, I do get a bit of a headache as well. Usually after 3-4 days the symptoms tend to go away.

Personally, I'm okay with my addiction. A hot cup of coffee in the mornings is one of the pleasures I look forward to daily.

Noema

I love coffee so much that I can't even explain it. I was always a little bit wary of upping the dose and I'd usually stick to a cup, or maybe two at most, throughout the day.

Unfortunately in the past couple of years that's gone out the window and now I consume between 4 and 6 cups a day. I can't start my day without coffee lest I get super cranky. I have coffee before going to the gym, after going to the gym, while reading, while watching movies, while playing games, while browsing the web. I literally don't want to live my life without coffee.

The problem is that at this point my body is pretty resistant to caffeine, so I need more and more. But as with everything, diminishing returns kick in so I get less for more. I need more coffee to get a lesser and lesser buzz.

Beardz

Caffeine withdrawal is awful af, headaches, muscle pain, insomnia, runny nose, bad humor... Those symptoms lasted for about two weeks. Never again!

RowdyReverb

I had to quit caffeine because of this. I would get terrible headaches if I missed my morning coffee and I was at the point where I needed caffeine just to get to baseline wakefulness.
I sleep better since I quit and I only miss caffeine sometimes. Still drink decaf from time to time though

Madness

Caffeine addiction can be tough to break. Took me 9 days cold turkey before the massive headaches and flu like symptoms stopped. Caffeine free colas and decaf coffee a good way to break caffeine addiction while still giving you the ability to consume what you liked for taste, habit etc.

Greddleok

The hardest part of kicking a caffeine addiction is that coffee is just delicious. If it didn't taste so good I'd just go cold turkey.

I do however cycle caffeine. Times where I'm less busy at work I just abstain, so when I get busy again, the caffeine will have an effect. Right now caffeine does nothing for me. I popped 4 pro-plus last night before training and felt nothing.

It's a thing. I never understand how people can function like this, but alas, I see it all around me.

Coffee/caffeine doesn't even wake me up. I drink (iced) coffee purely for taste, as an enjoyable drink sometimes.

For me coffee gives me like a couple hours of energy but I'm not super hyper so I'm pretty much almost the same drinking coffee for mostly taste.

Maoyama

Banned
I have been drinking coffee since I was about 10-12, and on a normal day I might have about 10 cups of coffee or more. A few after waking up, 2-3 before lunch, drink more during lunch, before working out and as soon as I get home. I adore coffee, I make a point of driking different types and roasts of coffee during the day. I will have a few cups of pourover, a few of french press, some espresso, during the summer cold brewed coffee etc. I would never want to have coffee because I need to instead of because I want to.

Every 4-6 months I will go a week or two of absolutely no caffeine. So far it has been working and I have not felt any headaches or withdrawal symptoms. I use this two weeks to judge if I am developing strong addiction to it

your better-off switching to coffee. At least coffee is really rich in antioxidants and can be healthy in small doses. Not to mention cheaper.... much cheaper than that crap your chugging everyday...

3RLerEA.gif

I would love to go back to coffee, sadly I get Canker Sores whenever I drink coffee too often.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom