• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Creative Writing Challenge #191 - "Desecration"

Status
Not open for further replies.

FlowersisBritish

fleurs n'est pas britannique
Theme: Desecration

Word Limit: 2300 words

Submission Deadline: June 24th 11:59 pm Pacific

Voting Deadline: June 27th 11:59 pm Pacific

Secondary: Other Worldly

Submission Guidelines:

- One entry per poster.
- All submissions must be written during the time of the challenge.
- Using the topic as the title of your piece is discouraged.
- Keep to the word count!

Voting Guidelines:

- Three votes per voter. Please denote in your voting your 1st (3 pts), 2nd (2 pts), and 3rd (1 pt) place votes.
- Please read all submissions before voting.
- You must vote in order to be eligible to win the challenge.
- When voting ends, the winner gets a collective pat on the back, and starts the new challenge.

NeoGAF Creative Writing Challenge FAQ
Previous Challenge Threads and Themes

Red

I've been lacking discipline the past few days. Spent hours designing Xbox controllers instead of finishing last round's story. You ever find yourself procrastinating because there's so much to do? Dishes have piled up at home, baby food splattered on the walls, piles of dirty laundry... Usually I stay on top of things but I'm so far behind now I'm fighting myself to be productive.

Decided to commit to making headway. Already started writing this one. It'll be a busy couple weeks, but I'm done disappointing myself (at least for a little while).

So, the new story is Picture Perfect, the synopsis is as follows:

Allan Townshend had to get away, a tragic accident tore his loved ones away from him. He packs up his life and moves away to rural Bangor, Maine trying to find something worth living for. Inspired to move there by his wife's love of Stephen King novels.
In the rural mountains and forests of Bangor, Allan eventually finds a house, a turn of the century victorian style mansion with a rotunda living room, the outside is picture perfect, the inside suffers from halfway finished restorations. The most incredible thing however, is the price, and so Allan immediately bought his picture perfect house, however as time passes, he realizes that things are not as they seem.

FlowersisBritish

I've been lacking discipline the past few days. Spent hours designing Xbox controllers instead of finishing last round's story. You ever find yourself procrastinating because there's so much to do? Dishes have piled up at home, baby food splattered on the walls, piles of dirty laundry... Usually I stay on top of things but I'm so far behind now I'm fighting myself to be productive.

Decided to commit to making headway. Already started writing this one. It'll be a busy couple weeks, but I'm done disappointing myself (at least for a little while).

Me and the IRS know exactly what you mean. Sometimes it's a slippery slope and all you can do is just refresh neogaf for five hours before going to bed.

So, the new story is Picture Perfect, the synopsis is as fallows:

You got me a little interested mostly because I live in Bangor ME and everyone in Maine is kind of a slut for passing reference. That's why we love Stephen King so much. He sets a thing in his backyard and we just gush figurative waterfalls of sploosh. Also, fun fact. I once in passing called him an "old man" from my car because i thought he was a jogger not Stephen King. Then he went into Stephen King's house and tried really hard not to make eye contact...

Me and the IRS know exactly what you mean. Sometimes it's a slippery slope and all you can do is just refresh neogaf for five hours before going to bed.

You got me a little interested mostly because I live in Bangor ME and everyone in Maine is kind of a slut for passing reference. That's why we love Stephen King so much. He sets a thing in his backyard and we just gush figurative waterfalls of sploosh. Also, fun fact. I once in passing called him an "old man" from my car because i thought he was a jogger not Stephen King. Then he went into Stephen King's house and tried really hard not to make eye contact...

Haha, that's awesome man, I can't say I met King when I visited Bangor, Maine as a kid. My dad was a truck driver and when I'd get done with school for the summer he would take me and my mom over the road with him for three months. I've literally been everywhere man(
*johnny cash plays* I've been everywhere, man, I've been everywhere
).

Applemancer

Neo Member
Between these themes and having that new Garbage album on repeat since last week, I think I actually have an idea. We'll see.

So here's what I wrote for about a half an hour this morning, gonna keep on trucking because I am really digging the idea behind this.

Part One:
So Far From Here

I'm goin' where sore losers go
To hide my face and spend my dough
Though it's a dream, it's not a lie
And I won't stop to say goodbye
Paraguay
Paraguay
See I just couldn't take no more
Of whippin' fools and keepin' score
I just thought "well, fuck it man"
I'm gonna pack my soul and scram
Paraguay
Paraguay
Out of the way I'll get away
Won't have to hear the things they say
Tamales and a bank account
Are all I need so count me out
Paraguay
Paraguay
I'll have no fear
I'll know no fear
So far from here
I'll have no fear

-Iggy Pop, “Paraguay”

The radio had been blasting nonstop since he left Colorado, loud and angry punk music blared, drowning out the sound of the pouring rain and roaring thunder. He had been driving nonstop for almost thirty hours straight, he just wanted to get away, he wanted to leave with every fiber of his being. The tears streaming down his face, his eyes red and stinging as he struggled to keep the old beatup ford taurus he was left by his parents before they passed. IT was a shitty car, when it was made he was only two fucking years old. The tires were bald and he didn’t have enough to replace them before heading northeast. The car groaned and swerved a little as it started to hydroplane, and right as he started to black out, a favorite song of his blared from the stereo. He tried to keep himself awake, but through all the booze and hash he smoked before he left, and during wasn’t quite doing him any favors. The guitars were loud and crunchy and dirty.

Woo! YEAH!
Pretty face, and a dirty look
Knew right away I had get my hooks in you
Yeah Yeah!

Iggy was screaming and growling at his loudest, he recognized the sound of The Stooges from a mile away, the kinetic energy, the blatant disregard for everything. The car was ploughing through like a lead sled, and he managed to regain control, the words from his doctor rang loud in his head, but not loud enough to get him to stop, to pull over, to hang it up and go back home. What home? He sold everything, he wasn’t even sure if he wanted to live anymore. Iggy played on, and then things started to go black.

I tell ya honey, it's a crying shame
All the pretty girls they look the same
I wanna fall into a love so sweet
Honey, baby, baby I'm hard
Hard to beat
Whoo!
Hey
Hey

The Doctor’s words echoed in his head amongst the drowning punk rock downpour coming from his speakers, “You shouldn’t be driving in your condition, Allan, I say this as a friend and a Doctor,”
“Blacking out is common in people who have experienced something traumatic, and it devlops into Post Traumatic Stress Disorder,”

It was right about then that he saw the green sign, in the pouring downpour of rain that was seemingly almost biblical.
BANGOR, 5 MILES.

The lightening was so bright it almost hurt his eyes, as the music played on, his vision began to fade fast. He was murmuring to himself a sort of mantra, the magical phrase was something akin to please don’t fucking black out.
Your pretty face is going to hell
Your pretty face is going to hell
Honey, honey, I can tell
Your pretty face is going to
Hell!
That's right, baby
Hell!
He lost it, and in his fading vision, the black slowly creeping in, a sense of dread and dizziness swallowed him whole, that curious sinking feeling when you know you fucked up. The car begun to spin along the highway, the world was spinning the headlights occasionally giving partial illumination to the terrible situation he found himself in. If he died, it might be a blessing, as the car flipped over and began to roll, his boxes of mementos flying open and pelting him in the face with action figures and comic books.
“Oh God please just kill me, don’t make me a paraplegic,” he screamed at the top of his lungs.
The last thing he saw before an earth shattering collision finished the job of knocking him out cold, he saw the trunk of an incredibly huge tree. At the time he thought it would be an impressive sight, if he weren’t absolutely sure he was about to be impaled and or wrapped around it in mere miliseconds.

Well, word count is fucked.

Oh well, still gonna submit it I don't care about winning I just want feedback... I just want to know if I am any good at writing.

I've been away from my cyberpunk novel too long but I still want to write it, and I feel like this is a good chance to see if I have what it takes to craft a good story.

About 1/3 of the way through I think, 3k words. Whoops. The next few moments in the story really start to get juicy and get interesting.

Clive Barker and Lovecraft blended with a hint of Stephen King.
And a few references to some of his books. :p

Cyan

Banned
Hey dudes, I'll be on a plane home tomorrow afternoon, so no hangout for me. You guys are of course very welcome to do it without me!

on... the plane? Sjeesh, talk about a stalker problem.

"Just hanging out with my stalkers, you know? Tried to get rid of 'em, but once you get to know them they're not that bad. Just gotta sleep with one eye open to avoid getting shived by Shifty here, he's funny like that. "

FlowersisBritish

Wow I'm really behind on my story. i really wish there was a time where me, with some other people, could just sit down and write. Maybe writing with other people, sharing ideas, will help me focus...

Well good news. We have a google hangout in half an hour(5pm est) where we pretty much do that. Don't need a webcam, but a mic is usually recommended, though text chat works too.

FlowersisBritish

Gonna be a triple posting monster and quote Cyan:

Standard quick recap: it's on Google Hangouts, and the format is ten minutes of chat, then thirty minutes of writing with mics muted, repeated until we've gone for two hours. Webcams aren't required, though several of us will have them. Mics are recommended but also not required, as you can use the text chat.

The hangout link is (quote to see):

dpunk3

Ok, kinda wanted to do a story related to Zazie Rainyday anyway. This is a decent enough theme to go with, especially the otherworldly thing. This is a more in depth writing for the events that transpired from Mahou Sensei Negima chapter 296-chapter 297. I wanted to explore the notion that Cosmo Entelecheia (for anyone unaware, it's basically a dream world) wasn't an ideal world for its captive, but rather a perversion of their innermost desires. Taunting them as they were shown a world they could never have.

Awoken to the sounds of birds chirping. The morning dew. Negi’s thoughts were uncollected, as it was the first mere moments of the day.

*squish*

He knew this feeling, subconsciously. He knew it would be a lashing from Asuna. He crept into her bed again, and groping her in his sleep is commonplace at this point.

Awoken now, he receives his daily lecture about being a pervert from something he isn’t really able to control.

After the typical daily antics, school starts. The typical day, if it were, was full of excitement and energy. This was no different despite the first day of the semester, with only a sense of dread added from the student’s fear of an incomplete or forgotten summer homework assignment. Typical classroom antics continue, and before he knew it class was over. Negi sees Chao, and something seems off about it. Pangs in his chest throb, a memory long lost? He couldn’t pinpoint it. He senses eyes upon him. A voice? No, just his imagination perhaps.

With the school day winding to an end, Negi meets with his students. Perfect time for tutoring, at a coffee shop with a more relaxed tone.

“Aha! So here you are, Negi!”

A voice stops him cold in his tracks. His head turns slowly, met with the face of his father. His role model, his ideal image. The mage of a thousand spells. The legend, the hero he never knew personally. The father he never had. His mother, beautiful as she was. Blonde, stunning, eyes of a loving and nurturing existence. The mother he had never even seen, and love he was never given as a child. Or was he? They were both there. Staring at him straight in the eye, with no hesitation in their voice. Had they really seen each other a mere 4 months ago? He felt tears welling up in his eyes. He couldn’t hold back the desires in his heart. The lost guardians. No, the lost love of his parents. Yet here they were, as they had always been.

The time to spend with his family and students, he adored. It was the perfect life. He longed to live it forever. His father and mother, his beloved students who both cared and respected him, despite being only 11 years old. Yet still, he could sense it. Reality knocking, perhaps. Maybe his will and determination to keep moving? Who could say. He could still sense those eyes, watching them as they had been all day. The time to take a step forward was now. Chao was gone, disappeared after the school festival. His father, still missing after 10 years. Who knew where his mother was.

But he did know who was watching him. Waiting, for him to decide enough was enough.

“This isn’t real. Is it, Zazie-san?”

There stood student #31, the unspoken girl at the back of the class. He knew nothing of her, other than she was the key out of this degrading reality.

This was the life, the dream he never knew he had. Pure happiness, placed out in front of him. An untouched landscape. It is an eternal garden. Unspoiled paradise, a perfect world. All the while, the greatest insult.

“No, sensei.”

His thoughts. His desires. His ambitions. Placed together in perfect synchrony, on a whim. The perfect world was nothing but a squander to his accomplishments. His will to create his own happiness. He could stay, sure. Staying in such a perfect world would be the easy way out. If he stayed, it was likely he wouldn’t be able to leave even if he wanted to. The reality before him, given up in a flash. It wasn’t what he wanted, and it wasn’t what he worked for. This manufactured reality was an insult, not a haven.

“The password to escape these worlds is ‘Audacia Paula’.”

He will move forward. To create a world better than this. To build his own paradise, a testament now to the disgust attributed to this illusionary world. He had the conviction. He had the courage.

“Audacia Paula.”

Lightningboalt

Neo Member
Hi writing gaf, I'm throwing together a bit of complete nonsense for this because why the hell not? I wrote about a 100 word rant back in March for a stupid concept I thought up at about 3 AM one night, and aside from the rant and the general concept... I ended up accomplishing absolutely nothing. Fortunately both themes of this challenge are relevant to what I was planning, so this gives me a good reason to actually revisit that hot mess (and produce something more than one short speech by an ill-defined character).

I have a fair bit more work to do on this to make the deadline, and it's probably going to be completely ridiculous, but hey - motivation to write is a good thing, and a nice low stakes challenge like this is a good motivator.

FlowersisBritish

Man, some of those are so on point it kind of hurts :/

Also, Cyan, you should check out the "Gaf members i wish I could talk to" thread. You're pretty popular :p

FlowersisBritish

Thinking of starting a writing blog. What website / service do people favor for that?

My lady friend occasionally puts stuff on Wattpad, said I should put stuff on there too. I'm not so sure, just cause I'm kinda skittish about trying new platforms. But, it does seem like a good enough format for a writing blog. I tried a blog on Tumblr awhile back, but that did not work out well. If you find other good options, let me know! I've been going through the same problem. I want to put some of my less polished stuff out there for people to read.

Cyan

Banned
I had a wordpress blog for a while where I sometimes posted fiction, but it just felt kinda pointless.

FlowersisBritish

You can post a thing but no one gonna read it unless you are some big shot. Or if you're reading them, but even then it's tough to find other writing blogs. What a depressing cycle.

Lightningboalt

Neo Member
I did it, I cobbled together some complete goofy nonsense over the past few days. This is written almost exclusively at 3 AM, which I think explains a lot about it. Really needs a lot of work to be done to make it solid I think, but hey. It's a first draft, that's to be expected... not exactly putting my best foot forward whoops. Being frank, I hate my main character (if he even counts as a character) and there's like no conflict here. Such is rushed writing, I suppose. Hopefully there's at least SOMETHING worthwhile here, though.

So yeah here's Snake Oil (2298 words). Quote me for the password, I don't know if it will be worth pursuing publication of this but hey, might as well keep my bases covered.

Sounds like the premise for a sitcom.

*excited inhale*
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQnaRtNMGMI

Also, I retired my old blog a while ago but have been wanting (and not doing) to start another on writing stuff and movies. Mostly a replacement for posting my shit on letterbox and so on. Combining story stuff with movies should at least be interesting enough to motivate me to stick with it. But you know me, putting things off is my life.
insert Simpsons picture of hick-up man: *hick* kill me *hick* kill me *hick*

edit: ehm, I've been meaning to ask too: I don't know if Izunado (now a different username) still looks at these challenges, but last year I made a comment about an entry of his that a character didn't, and I do quote, "sound British enough". And that has been bugging me lately. Not so much that I felt that way, regardless of how he may have felt about it (not too well, I imagine, since he ***ing lives there), but WHY that felt that way.
I mean, accents in movies tend to piss people off ( "like, he's so overdoing that shit" ), yet at the same time every character that has 'nationality X' has to be 'more X than X is' in terms of manners and / or language to be recognizable as such. But where and how do you know where to draw that line without making everyone sound like a caricature? (then again, I though "Oi!" wasn't real until someone used it at me )

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom