• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple in talks to acquire Tidal

Status
Not open for further replies.

HUELEN10

VERY interesting! This could be a great move for all, it kills a shitty service, makes everyone else more competitive, and Cupertino might acquire great people because of it.

Best case for Jay Z and friends. Create a not so great music program but gain enough buzz that Apple buys it out and you can wash your hands of it.

Fhtagn

Dunno why they'd do this but if it means I get Prince and Neil Young back catalogs on Apple Music somehow...

jax

Banned
why? what does Tidal have that Apple want, other than taking out a (smaller) competitor?
Exclusivity. Apple already had Spotify cornered with Drake and Taylor Swift, now add Beyoncé, Jay Z, Kanye, Daft Punk, and Deadmau5 to the mix.

Also their app is about a billion times better than any Music app

Arc

What's the point? Tidal wouldn't be worth anything without the star power behind the ownership getting exclusives. Will Kanye care about making his record Tidal exclusive when Apple owns it?

Wow, and this after the star studded launch of the service not so long ago. There was a lot of high profile music celebs at the launch.

My money was in Google, but apple is thankfully very aggressive in getting lots of people onto apple music. It wants a big slice of the lucrative music streaming pie. Which is good for competition since Spotify and play music won't go without one hell of a fight.

I hope the ability to use/stream the flat music files remain intact if it gets tool over.

Ephemeris

s-3ac424076d447bad4a8050bf0e87da8526181a4c.gif

I will say that based on my trial experience the HI FI audio was amazing for TLOP. Not worth $20/month tho. If Apple somehow makes that cheaper I might consider switching.

Kusagari

Are Ye and other artists loyal to Hov still going to make their stuff exclusive to it?

Because if not it's worthless.

Vice

Lots of exclusives from popular artists, their video streaming programs seem to do well and they buzz from a few of the worlds most popular celebrities while eliminating a competitor and closing the gap between Spotify. They'd basically be the "exclusive" home for a lot of highly anticipated albums and have that over Spotify. I think they even have a lot of Prince's more popular stuff on there.

Appeal to the audiophile market as well.

giga

As a Spotify user, exclusives are the worst aspect of music streaming. Can we get some antitrust work here?

HUELEN10

Also their app is about a billion times better than any Music app

If you want something that runs like the Tidal App, MARVIS is an excellent Frontend.
As a Spotify user, exclusives are the worst aspect of music streaming. Can we get some antitrust work here?

You can always buy the album elsewhere, dump it yourself and upload it to your cloud music locker and...

Seriously though, I think there are both pros and cons to exclusives. Personally, as long as the streaming exclusive is merely timed and I always have an option to BUY I am okay with it. And I do hope that Spotify does get a music storage locker option soon. It's good, but Spotify needs to step their game up if they want to keep up with Google and Apple in that regard.

giga

You can always buy the album elsewhere, dump it yourself and upload it to your cloud music locker and...

Seriously though, I think there are both pros and cons to exclusives. Personally, as long as the streaming exclusive is merely timed and I always have an option to BUY I am okay with it. And I do hope that Spotify does get a music storage locker option soon. It's good, but Spotify needs to step their game up if they want to keep up with Google and Apple in that regard.
I know the workarounds. They're all subpar solutions. I'm OK with timed exclusives, but artists/albums that stay locked up to a single service? It's crap.

HUELEN10

I know the workarounds. They're all subpar solutions. I'm OK with timed exclusives, but artists/albums that stay locked up to a single service? It's crap.

Oh, I agree wholeheartedly with you!
Thanks for the recommendation! It looks really awesome! Downloading now.
Yep, it's also plenty customizable too, and it's must-have for iPad users because you can put it in sideview or spit view for great multitasking with split view and very user-friendly track switching with a quick slide-view. Like all frontons, remember that music management is completely through iTunes and the music app, but playback can be done entirely through marvin (or any other fronted).

Infinite

Lots of exclusives from popular artists, their video streaming programs seem to do well and they buzz from a few of the worlds most popular celebrities while eliminating a competitor and closing the gap between Spotify. They'd basically be the "exclusive" home for a lot of highly anticipated albums and have that over Spotify. I think they even have a lot of Prince's more popular stuff on there.

Appeal to the audiophile market as well.
Yeah. But of course any mention of Tidal leads to people blindly shitting on the service

RDreamer

Wasn't Tidal an F U to other streaming services because artists were not getting the royalties and such that they deserved?

Selling to Apple would just defeat the purpose of all that hoo-ha and that star studded conference, wouldn't it?
So you're telling me all of those stars are sell-outs? /shocked

They're not desperate, they're doing great for their first year, and will only continue to grow.

My guess? people and brand.

Ehh, not allow the Spotify app to be approved if users can use payment methods outside of iTunes in order to maintain the only advantage they have over Spotify sounds pretty depserate

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom