• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple Releases M3 MacBook Air with dual monitor support, discontinues M1 MBA. MBP gains multi-display support.

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
I had seen that some of you were in the market for a Mac laptop. Still a disappointingly 8GB on RAM on an otherwise impressive M3 machine.

Apple today announced new 13- and 15-inch MacBook Air models with M3 chip, improved external display support, Wi-Fi 6E, and more.
Apple says that the new ‌MacBook Air‌ is up to 60% faster than the M1 model and up to 13x faster than the fastest Intel-based ‌MacBook Air‌. With a faster and more efficient Neural Engine, Apple says that the ‌MacBook Air‌ continues to be "the best consumer laptop for AI." It also gains an AV1 decode engine to provide more efficient and higher-quality video from streaming services.

In addition to the M3 chip, the new ‌MacBook Air‌ offers Wi-Fi 6E, Voice Isolation and Wide Spectrum microphone modes, enhanced voice clarity in audio and video calls, and a more fingerprint-resistant finish with the Midnight color option. It also now supports up to two external displays when the laptop lid is closed, increasing from just a single external display on the previous Apple silicon models.

Pre-orders of the new ‌MacBook Air‌ start today, with orders arriving to customers on Friday, March 8. It continues to be available in Midnight, Starlight, Space Gray, and Silver with a starting price of $1,099.

Also:

M3 MacBook Pro will gain multi-display support in software update​

Cyberpunkd

Still a disappointingly 8GB on RAM on an otherwise impressive M3 machine.
Don't be a sucker, never buy a base configuration from Apple's cheapest laptop. If you do:

Are You Stupid Antoine Dodson GIF

Last edited:

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
Don't be a sucker, never buy a base configuration from Apple's cheapest laptop. If you do:

The fact that Apple even offers that as its base configuration, particularly on its "Pro" machines is pathetic. If they bumped the MBA to 12GB and the MBP to 16 GB, it would make more sense, with offerings of 16GB for the MBA and 32/64 for the Pro.

Cyberpunkd

The fact that Apple even offers that as its base configuration, particularly on its "Pro" machines is pathetic. If they bumped the MBA to 12GB and the MBP to 16 GB, it would make more sense, with offerings of 16GB for the MBA and 32/64 for the Pro.
Damn, I just checked their line up, I didn't know MBP is sold with 8GB of RAM. I have M1 Pro from 2021, I could have sworn that thing came with 16GB as a base.

Chittagong

Gold Member
I was quite tempted to trade in my M1 Max MBP 16” for a M3 MBA 15”. But looking into it, my M1 MBP has 64GB RAM, 4TB SSD, 32 GPU Cores, and the best M3 MBA would have 24GB RAM, 2TB SSD, 10 GPU cores - and I would have to still pay £1,300 after trade-in credit.

Not worth it for the half a dozen flights I fly a year, given that the rest of the time my MacBook is lid closed connected to an Apple Studio Monitor.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
€1879 for the base 13” pumped up to 16GB of RAM is too much.

I still think that notch is ridiculous, wonder when they will quietly get rid of it.

wipeout364

I do like apples laptops but honestly the prices are just insane. I had to get out a few years back and went back to windows. I still miss their battery optimization but properly equipped laptops are just too costly from Apple.

And most importantly they don’t run games well due to their poor cooling. And this is NeoGAF where we are all about games.

ReBurn

Gold Member
8GB on a MacBook Air isn't like 8GB on a Windows box, though. Swap is way more efficient by design vs dealing with Windows lowest common denominator jank. For general purpose use it works really well.

Nobody should get a MacBook Pro with 8GB RAM, though. The minimum MacBook Pro anyone should go for is M3 Pro chip with that minimum 18 GB RAM configuration, but should customize to 36 GB depending on workload. Getting the lowest tier MacBook Pro with base M3 is for people who hate their money.

Drew1440

8GB on a MacBook Air isn't like 8GB on a Windows box, though. Swap is way more efficient by design vs dealing with Windows lowest common denominator jank. For general purpose use it works really well.

Nobody should get a MacBook Pro with 8GB RAM, though. The minimum MacBook Pro anyone should go for is M3 Pro chip with that minimum 18 GB RAM configuration, but should customize to 36 GB depending on workload. Getting the lowest tier MacBook Pro with base M3 is for people who hate their money.
All that swapping in/out between SSD and RAM is gonna wear out that SSD, which is embedded into the logicboard and cannot re replaced as easily as a PC. Especially if a Chrome-based browser is going to be used with multiple tabs open.

Sleepwalker

I just bought an air m2 15" on sale (512, 16gb ram). Still in the return window but the m3 same configuration would be a few hundred more than what I paid.

To be fair I have 0 complaints so far.

ReBurn

Gold Member
All that swapping in/out between SSD and RAM is gonna wear out that SSD, which is embedded into the logicboard and cannot re replaced as easily as a PC. Especially if a Chrome-based browser is going to be used with multiple tabs open.
It's going to wear it out over years, and not normally before the owner is ready for an upgrade. It's no different from the use the SSD gets from file access. Every system is going to swap memory to disk. There's no epidemic or anything of MacBook Air machines wearing out because they swapped RAM to SSD too much.

Most laptops in the price range of MacBook Air come with RAM and SSD soldered to the board these days. Those components aren't always user replaceable and fewer laptops are giving you easy repair and upgrade options. If you're building your own PC then sure, you can change those parts whenever you want. If you're buying a thousand dollar laptop, regardless of wheat is a MacBook Air or a Windows laptop, chances are you're getting what they solder to the board. It's how many low cost laptop manufacturers are keeping costs down these days.

UltimaKilo

Gold Member

While that's true, I'd venture to say that the majority of people who work on their laptops and actively use a lot of RAM, it's unacceptable. I generally strain my MBA's memory with simple things like running a large spreadsheet, using a word processor, listening to music and surfing the web. Yet the M1 is left with plenty of headroom.

Perhaps I'm in the minority (I run background apps) but 12GB of RAM would not seriously hurt Apple's margins and provide enough headroom for 90% of users for the MBA and 16GB on the MBP should be the minimum.

It's not a problem in the least. You might have a problem after nearly a decade, wherein that user is already upgrading by that point, if they hadn't already.

Faust

Perpetually Tired
Staff Member

I have seen some families buy the cheapest model for their kids and teens. Works well for being, essentially, name brand "Chromebook" style device.

Sushi_Combo

My M2 air has barely used any swap since getting it a year ago. It's pretty efficient. For most people doing light browsing and emails, this will last well over 10+ years.

thief183

So Apple finally invented multi monitor?! Awesome!!!

For real... how is it possible that it didn't support it before?!

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
MacBook is always a clean look, it’s a little too thin much but this is what great companies do they show up with newer better products.

eddie4

Genuinely Generous
dude Windows 98 had dual monitor support, this should not be an 'upgraded' feature. And it's not just Apple, but even Samsung and most laptop manufacturers are soldering in memory so you can't upgrade and they're only including 8-16gb. Unless you pay for more upfront. They claim it's for speed and reliability, but i smell BS. Yeah your MAC might last 10+ years but apple will set upgrade restrictions and other items that will not work where you're forced to upgrade. So here you are again at the apple store upgrading your MacBook in two years.

gundalf

Too bad I need a powerful MBP 16" for work, I would love to only need an Air 15", that thing is so beautiful, thin, light and yet powerful, the perfect laptop on all accounts (ok two additional USB-C ports, even if its just USB3.0 speeds, would be nice).

Top Bottom