• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Creative Writing Challenge #193 - "The Hunter"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike M

Nick N
Mastodon-The_Hunter.jpg

Theme: The Hunter

Secondary Objective: Mythical Inspiration
Mythologies from all over the world are full of weird, wondrous, and terrifying creatures. Surely you will find some fodder to use in your story.

Word Limit: 3000 words

Submission Deadline: July 22nd 11:59 pm Pacific

Voting Deadline: July 25th 11:59 pm Pacific

Submission Guidelines:

- One entry per poster.
- All submissions must be written during the time of the challenge.
- Using the topic as the title of your piece is discouraged.
- Keep to the word count!

Voting Guidelines:

- Three votes per voter. Please denote in your voting your 1st (3 pts), 2nd (2 pts), and 3rd (1 pt) place votes.
- Please read all submissions before voting.
- You must vote in order to be eligible to win the challenge.
- When voting ends, the winner gets a collective pat on the back, and starts the new challenge.

NeoGAF Creative Writing Challenge FAQ
Previous Challenge Threads and Themes

Nezumi

Ah! Love the theme, love the secondary, love that album. What could possibly go wrong.

Edit: OMG just saw the word count. Love that as well!!!

tirminyl

I got an idea and a new personal goal to compete in at least 1 challenge a month as I desperately need the practice.

This sounds like a fun challenge. Let's see what I can write!

Mike M

Nick N
Ah! Love the theme, love the secondary, love that album. What could possibly go wrong.

Edit: OMG just saw the word count. Love that as well!!!

I've never actually listened to the whole album, but it remains my single most favorite cover art ever.

"The Haunter of The Dark"

The year is 1916.

A trench in Verdun.

A Detective in rural America.

A terrifying menace.

They all come together, to form the guts of a mystery that should not be solved.

Charlie O'Donnel is a simple farmer from the countryside of Ireland, when his brother dies in the trenches of the Somme during the summer, he is sent to Verdun as winter comes and the fight turns desperate. In the trenches O'Donnel learns firsthand the horrors that left nothing of his brother, and yet there is something else in the trench. Something much worse.

In the rural town of Larkham, Rhode Island, a series of bizarre and seemingly otherworldly murders occur in the quiet hamlet, as Detective Roger Ennistrad works desperately to stop the murder, he soon realizes things are not as they seem.

What haunts the dark corners of our world? what stalks in places we cannot see?

Cyan

Banned
Writing hangout in about half an hour. Standard quick recap: it's on Google Hangouts, and the format is ten minutes of chat, then thirty minutes of writing with mics muted, repeated until we've gone for two hours. Webcams aren't required, though several of us will have them. Mics are recommended but also not required, as you can use the text chat.

The hangout link is (quote to see):

Is there a hangout today? I was wondering because there is no reminder like usually ;)

Ah, you caught me!

Red

Not great. I even put Pokémon Go aside for three days and I've still had trouble. Baby's been especially clingy and the story I have planned needs the full word count, so it's been difficult to make progress.

An aside: I bought a short story collection that's about 115 years old. It was sold "like new" but contains a lot of mold and smells pretty bad. It's not a very common book so I'm going to keep it, but does anyone have tips about how to reduce the mold? I've dabbed bleach on the inside of the cover and around the page edges, which helped a little bit, but there are mold spots on like every page and even in the cavity between the cover and the spine.

Applemancer

Neo Member
I wrote a thing, but: 1) it's prose poetry 2) I'm not a poet 3) it might not actually be prose poetry because I don't know anything about poetry of any kind actually

I'll give it a second pass and think on it. It's very short. Like, less than 10% of the limit.

Applemancer

Neo Member
Second pass was a tremendous help. I'm starting to see the value in actually editing something rather than frantically throwing it out the door the second I'm done writing it so I never have to look at it again. This time I'm frantically throwing it out the door the second I'm done editing it so I never have to look at it again.

When I Can Be So Much More (272 words, password as expected)

its been a while since i submitted something, probably a bit rusty, also wrote this in 2 days.

Deference for Dragons 3000 words

usual password

for fun, since theres music involved you could listen to This before or while reading, considering i listened to it while writing it, lol.

Nezumi

*sigh*

OK, there is no way I'll be able to finish my initial idea for this though I fear it wouldn't have fit into 3000 words anyway.
Back to the drawing board...

Cyan

Banned
Down the Rushy Glen

We went up the hills, when I was young. When I was young we roamed. Night air, under stars and forest canopy. Dancing among the oaks. We walked paths that are forbidden now, and were discouraged then. Away from the planting, the herding, the pruning milking washing reaping grinding days.

At first he wore a seeming. One of us. A local boy, frail but full of vinegar, dark-haired and thin-skinned. He roamed with us, walked with us, danced with us. The moon waxed pale when he was near. The heart of the night beat faster. And Brigitte's heart fastest of all.

One night across the hills came the baying of hounds. Horn-sounds, shouting, the pounding of cloven hooves. We fled as the sounding neared. Quarry.

We fled between the woods. Over hill under dale through the downs. The questing hounds ever nearer, the seeming-boy ever paler, until they brought us to bay before a great oak.

The hounds were white with eyes of red and paws that steamed. The horses dark, with manes of plaited black, and cloven hooves. The men upon the horses were wild, and glorious, and dark and frail as the boy. They called out to him with voices fair in a strange tongue. They took him up on one of their night-dark horses.

He called out to Brigitte, as they left. To come with them, to live as a princess among his folk. She smiled a quiet smile, and looked to the forest floor, and shook her head. And the hunt sped away, leaving only the sound of a horn, fading fast into the far away and never was.

We were young then. Not so now. Sometimes, by the fire, Brigitte turns her head to the window, and it seems that in her heart, she still hears the fading echo of the horn and remembers the boy, and thinks on stars and oaks and what might have been.

mu cephei

Incidentally the song I was listening to on repeat for hours straight while plotting this story at work is this

The video that comes with this version is vaguely appropriate.

Two full days? This better be the most frikkin' amazing thing I've ever read.

-_-

1. Mu Cephei

i don't know why, but i felt weirdly disturbed by this whole story. i think the girl saying the earths purpose was to just make food was what did it for me.

2. FlowersIsBritish

I imagined the creature to be some kind of gargoyle with a Cthulhu face, also seems similar to the jersey devil. I did like the guys singular goal of just kill the damn thing. I always enjoy a good monster terrorizes small town story.

3. Mike M

Well written, the car trunk thing definitely reminds me of the dark souls mimic chests. i'm not sure if the guy is just delusional or actually some holy city protector, guess it doesn't matter.

HM: Tangent. i actually really enjoyed your story until it took the hard swing near the end.

Applemancer

Neo Member
1) Mike M - Urban Wildlife
2) Cyan - Down the Rushy Glen
3) Nezumi - Shapes

Also, I really want to see a crossover between Mike and Nezumi's stories. Like a buddy cop movie about two magic hobos fighting monsters. That'd be cool.

tirminyl

Holy crap -

Uh, can we change the creative writing hangout schedule or has that already been changed?

edit - I guess it's been changed, my calendar is what needs to be updated.

mu cephei

1. Mike M
2. Tangent
3. Cyan

Applemancer - When I Can Be So Much More
was good, some great phrasing and it has a nice rhythm to it. I think it ends better than it starts.

Aaron - Seeking Under Starlight Most of this was great, I was really interested in the situation and the future you'd imagined, and the idea you were exploring, but Granger at the end was like one of those typical villains who just has to gloat and reveal how he pulled off his evil plan. I would have preferred if he'd just thought it, or even if it'd just been implied. If there was a particular reason you needed him to actually say it so obviously, I didn't get it.

dangerbyrnes - Deference For Dragons this reads like an action movie! (I think I said something similar about another submission of yours). I liked the story, it was quite simple, decently set up and well explained. The impression I get with this (I could be completely wrong) is that you are really clearly seeing this action in your head, and I would suggest that the order/ how you see things isn't necessarily how you should write it down. I don't mean change it completely, as the run-on sentences with commas rather than full stops really add to the energy.

Tangent - Paying For The Mood Swings In Leadership I had to read the stories a few times each as voting was hard, and this is the story I most enjoyed re-reading. It is just so much fun. I like the imagery and the way they talk, and had several bits that made me laugh out loud, e.g. “Not so fast. You can’t destroy all creation. As the god of creation and I won’t allow it.” and this particularly: "Lord Shiva, you can restore life to your son by bringing back the head of the first animal you see that’s pointing northward.” It's just so random. I thought the ending was totally wacky too.

Mike M - Urban Wildlife
This is wonderful, perfectly balanced. The only thing that maybe jarred was the paragraph that started ' Even vanquished and torn into pieces at the hands of Marduk, Tiamat remained the mother of monsters...' Although it didn't exactly come out of nowhere, it could maybe have been more gently introduced, I don't know.

Cyan - Down The Rushy Glen
this was also wonderful, it gave me shivers each time I read it. The language is fab. But, even given the style, it was really really short, I would have liked it twice or three times the length to really feel it.

Nezumi - Shapes I really liked this, particularly the opening with the coins, and their conversation about the nature of monsters. I thought maybe the way the old man dealt with the cloud monsters could have been gone into more, or more on their relationship, though I did like the way it ended.

FlowersisBritish - The Misfortunate Pact I enjoyed this, one thing I really like is the way you create characters so economically/ seemingly casually. The story itself was pretty simple but well executed. Atmosphere and descriptions are great.

(I don't know if the fact I found it hard to decide votes and had to re-read them meant I found myself liking the shorter entries more, it's possible and unfortunate if so, they were all great).

So I can't read them all anymore (maybe tomorrow), but this is what I noted about the ones I did read:

Applemancer: When I can Be So Much More – Okay, but this is an exercise in poetry and I am poetically retarded. So I have nothing to add, but I also got nothing from it, unfortunately.

Aaron: Seeking the Stars – “The stars are bright and beautiful”… and now I’m googling whether you can see stars in space. Turns out you can if you’re on the dark side of a planetary body (aaargh, another misconception revealed). You can’t see much in the area that is bombarded by the sun, because ‘daylight’. Moving on. “As a result, the crew had froze.” Is that British or just missing an n at the end? Other than that cool story, but it seems odd that there isn’t a throw-out punch from Curtis calling him out on his bullshit while showing kindness, not aggression. Maybe I’m too used to ‘cinematic’ story, but now I feel it’s kind of left hanging there.

dangerbyrnes: Deference for Dragons – “16 March”? Is this intentionally breaking the current convention or should it be “16th of March” or March 16”? Just asking, because it’s in English. It wouldn’t be an issue in most other languages. “sits in the seat of the vehicle”, erase this subsentence. They are already in a VTOL, and a man in that vehicle “observing the city” would suffice for the mental image. Since it’s pouring outside, a person looking out the window is also a cultural shorthand image, so you don’t have to tell the geometry of where he’s looking from exactly. What I would like to know earlier in the story is what they are wearing. Like, steel armor, body armor, future fiberglass armor? I know that’s a very specific world-building request (you don’t need to, just because I’m a prick), but you are dropping us in strange lands, in stranger times. The place to drop that info might be when Axel looks at the other two knights, dressed in …..
“and he sees people, corpses littering the floor.” It’s either people or corpses., living or dead. So ‘dead people everywhere’ (which is still odd) or ‘corpses everywhere’ (which is what you want to say) is quicker. “into a lobby of sorts”, that should just be a lobby. Axel is a highly experienced veteran, he would not use uncertain language to describe his surroundings. If he were a rookie, ‘of sorts’ would be correct character language. OR you could the story in screenplay format, which the visual descriptions might be better suited for. That all said, I really enjoyed the premise of this story, and the resolution was fun. Keep working on it.

Tangent: Paying for the Mood Swings in Leadership – now that’s a throw-out punch. Odd mix until that line.

Cyan: Down the Rushy Glen – I feel I’m missing some cultural context here, since the title means nothing to me, but I think it’s supposed to. Am I?

did not yet read, but did scan-read and found them regular:
Mike M: Urban Wildlife
Nezumi: Shapes
mu cephei: The Living Planet
Flowers

Cyan

Banned
Cyan: Down the Rushy Glen – I feel I’m missing some cultural context here, since the title means nothing to me, but I think it’s supposed to. Am I?

Up the airy mountain
Down the rushy glen
We daren't go a-hunting
For fear of little men.

From a poem by the Irish poet William Allingham, written in the mid-1800s. The "little men" are the wee folk, the fairies. It's a light bit of business while also being evocative of the darker side of fairies: they may sup with the Queen of the Northern Lights, but they'll also steal away your children and will take revenge if you displease them.

dangerbyrnes: Deference for Dragons – “16 March”? Is this intentionally breaking the current convention or should it be “16th of March” or March 16”? Just asking, because it’s in English. It wouldn’t be an issue in most other languages. “sits in the seat of the vehicle”, erase this subsentence. They are already in a VTOL, and a man in that vehicle “observing the city” would suffice for the mental image. Since it’s pouring outside, a person looking out the window is also a cultural shorthand image, so you don’t have to tell the geometry of where he’s looking from exactly. What I would like to know earlier in the story is what they are wearing. Like, steel armor, body armor, future fiberglass armor? I know that’s a very specific world-building request (you don’t need to, just because I’m a prick), but you are dropping us in strange lands, in stranger times. The place to drop that info might be when Axel looks at the other two knights, dressed in …..
“and he sees people, corpses littering the floor.” It’s either people or corpses., living or dead. So ‘dead people everywhere’ (which is still odd) or ‘corpses everywhere’ (which is what you want to say) is quicker. “into a lobby of sorts”, that should just be a lobby. Axel is a highly experienced veteran, he would not use uncertain language to describe his surroundings. If he were a rookie, ‘of sorts’ would be correct character language. OR you could the story in screenplay format, which the visual descriptions might be better suited for. That all said, I really enjoyed the premise of this story, and the resolution was fun. Keep working on it.

Thanks for the feedback. I do often consider if perhaps I'm more suited to screenplay format, considering i think of everything as a scene, and then attempt to put it into words. Maybe i'll try that.

“into a lobby of sorts”, that should just be a lobby. Axel is a highly experienced veteran, he would not use uncertain language to describe his surroundings. If he were a rookie, ‘of sorts’ would be correct character language.

Ah interesting, i don't know why i didn't consider that. i often default to characterizing people by their dialogue, i'll think about that.

oh, and i honestly don't know what i was going for with the date, lol. i guess i wanted to quickly show that this is some weird future, but i guess the opening already says that.

dangerbyrnes - Deference For Dragons this reads like an action movie! (I think I said something similar about another submission of yours). I liked the story, it was quite simple, decently set up and well explained. The impression I get with this (I could be completely wrong) is that you are really clearly seeing this action in your head, and I would suggest that the order/ how you see things isn't necessarily how you should write it down. I don't mean change it completely, as the run-on sentences with commas rather than full stops really add to the energy.

you seemed to hit the same point as freeza, yeah i do see things as scenes in my head, and turning it into writing is difficult.

Mike M

Nick N
Applemancer: With a piece this short, I can’t help but find the frequency of similes and metaphors to be a bit overbearing. Even if this were an excerpt from a longer piece, it’d be a bit much to just string them together like that. Which is a difficult place to be in, because clearly that was kind of the point of this one to be heavy on evocative imagery and symbolism, but there’s not really anything else too it than that. Guess it works as poetry, I suppose?

Aaron: How smart could this guy be if he didn’t even have the foresight to tether himself to the hull? I’m almost 1000% positive that is SOP for any spacewalk procedure for obviously reasons. It’s conceivable that the explosion might have cut the line or something, but not addressing it at all is kind of the “Why didn’t the eagles just fly Frodo to Mordor?” question of the story. I liked the build up and the reveal, but was ultimately disappointed that Pete’s treachery and Curtis’s menace amounted to so little in the end.

dangerbyrnes: The core story was pretty good, though heavily indebted to Reign of Fire and the fact that dragons are the deadliest creatures in the universe but they only send one guy is a bit much to swallow. Delivery is key, though. Right from the start, I’d peg the opening paragraph as being extraneous. Prologues of that sort are the embodiment of telling instead of showing, and there wasn’t any relevant information conveyed that couldn’t be inferred from reading the actual story itself. The quantity of technical errors (verb tense disagreements, punctuation and capitalization errors, awkward sentence structures) creates a lot of stumbling blocks while reading.

Tangent: At first I thought this was a really good embodiment of both primary and secondary objectives. I’m not strong on Hindu mythology, so I took it at face value that this was a colloquial retelling of an established myth, which was mildly disappointing since I think there are ways to do that which would be more interesting than just updating the language. But then we got to the part about the white mouse and laboratory research, and I appreciated the cleverness. Then there was the line about all his success only increasing the average lifespan by 1.8 years, which had me laughing out loud. Then we got a dig in on Trump to boot. Talk about a slow burn joke.

Mike M: As I said, I didn’t get to crank out as many iterations as I usually do, so I never felt like I got this one fully trimmed and into fighting shape. It was kind of a slog to both write and read, despite it being one of those story ideas that manifested in my head fully-formed. I can’t help but think if the fact that dialogue was so sparse made things difficult for me, as I’m not used to writing long blocks of text without breaking it up with people talking. As dangerbyrnes points out, the car mimic was absolutely inspired by the mimics in Dark Souls.

Cyan: I think this has something to do with the Wild Hunt? My only familiarity with that comes from playing the Witcher 2, where it didn’t feature too prominently. I’ll play Witcher 3 someday. Someday...

Nezumi: Kind of an uncanny amount of overlap in subject matter between our two stories. Spooky. There was one part where there was a scene break in between two lines of dialogue, which it more than a little confusing when I first encountered it. The idea for the story was good, but it could have stood to have been longer and a bit more developed. MIght want to tuck it away to revisit on a later day.

mu cephei: I really dug this, though I found it odd that Silas wouldn’t bother to check with Lily if she even wanted to go camping on the surface before taking such a risk. Also found it odd that there was so little in the way of accommodations for engineers to get where they needed to be when there was clearly a need to have them since they were sending Silas out to fix stuff. Not sure I understood what the second guy was there for, unless he and Silas’s boss was aware of the animal burrow ahead of time?

FlowersisLate: Some errors slipped under the wire on this one. “Amnesty” instead of “animosity,” and an instance where the dialogue tag for Allen asking a question itself ended in a question mark. I think this needed a better explanation for what benefit the town got out of its bargain with the mothman, because I have a difficult time imagining that the entire town would be party to the knowledge of what it was costing and stand idly by (especially since the mayor was giving a list of names). “It keeps bad things from happening, and it only costs bad things happening,” seems like a poor deal. I liked Allen’s duplicity, but other than that this story was arrow-straight with no surprises after Glenn gets shot. Lloyd is out to kill the monster, finds the monster, kills it, roll credits. There are no reversals, setbacks, or complications to speak of for him, which made everything pretty dull in the end.

Votes:
1. mu cephei
2. Tangent
3. Nezumi

Aaron

votes:
1- Mike M
2- mu cephei
3- FlowersisBritish

Comments:

Applemancer - Loved the imagery. Feel it would have been better structured as poetry or shifted more towards prose. The half step reduces the impact for me.

dangerbyrnes - It's an interesting world you're creating here, but don't fill in the background before you've set the foreground. Hook the reader first with the compelling stuff you have later on.

Tangent - That certainly went some odd places. I can see where you're going by the end, but the tone never quite lands. I think it's just a few revisions short of being compelling and witty.

Mike M - It's imaginative and compelling. You create a character worth following, and a strange world rippling out from him. Loses some heat in the middle, but still awesome overall.

Cyan - You create a mood and the pacing is great in holding onto it, but the form is a little too stiff. The prose is water, but it keeps butting up against the structure.

Nezumi - There's something really great here. Something real hovering on the verge of magical realism, but it doesn't quite gel for me. Starts well but loses steam too quick.

mu cephei - Great! You create a world and compelling characters to speak for it. Though I can feel the word count restraining the story. You could have cut some setup before things got rolling to give more space.

FlowersisBritish - Grim and grisly with plenty of grit. A little too much talking for my tastes in the middle. Great ending except for the very end that I didn't fully understand.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom