• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF, I'm scared about going to Turkey next week

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey all,

So basically, I have never traveled to Turkey before, and I have always wanted to go on holiday there as I hear Istanbul is a beautiful place (from people that have visited there), and I thought, after I finish my exams, I can go with my brother and his friends on holiday to Turkey as they will be going so I thought I could just tag along.

I will be going next Tuesday for one week, however, the events that have unfolded in the country in the past 6 months have made me slightly concerned about our safety (we booked the tickets before the most recent attack at the Istanbul airport). I understand that no place is safe, and that accidents and attacks can happen anywhere to anyone, but the fact is, there is a slightly increased risk of attacks in the region. I try and not be paranoid, but honestly, you can't help but be at the very least concerned.

It also doesn't help that I'm a Muslim teenager (and my brother and his friends are in the early twenties), and of course, people will say, you shouldn't have anything to be scared of if you have nothing to hide, and obviously that is true, but some of my friends have said to me don't be surprised if you're questioned at the airport, or even put on a watchlist lol. It took me by surprise initially, but thinking about it...

...I kinda get that and I don't blame security for being on edge -- you have unfortunately you have had Muslim families and teenagers who go to fight in Syria from the UK, which is a shame for people who want to legitimately go there on holiday, so there has been extra scrutiny placed on travelers to Turkey who are Muslim coming from other countries. However, there is also that fear that you maybe wrongly profiled or unjustly treated. Has anyone here, Muslim or not, been questioned in the airport? I mean I haven't but I just want to prepare myself in case it does happen, which it wouldn't surprise me if I do.

I don't know, maybe I'm just talking rubbish, and should just enjoy the holiday. I just hope everything goes smoothly when I visit. Maybe anyone from Turkey here on GAF can help inform me about the situation there?

qazqaNii

I am currently in Turkey, close to Ankara. But we are turkish altho I was born somewhere in Europe. We travelled here in mid June with car, I went full Yolo with a beard, got some eyes on me but nothing more.

I dont think you should be worried, the malls are quite safe with security checks, people are usually nice.

Ask the price before u decide to buy something tho, kinda annoying, happened to me multiple times, different price depending on thr clerk on same shop.

Sry for any misspells writing on my cellphlne with a crackwd screen.

18-Volt

I don't know, maybe I'm just talking rubbish, and should just enjoy the holiday. I just hope everything goes smoothly when I visit. Maybe anyone from Turkey here on GAF can help inform me about the situation there?

Yeah, you're kind of paranoid. There's absolutely nothing to be afraid of, the whole world is in turmoil right now it's not exclusive for Turkey, it's as safe as anywhere in the Europe. I mean, I have never been robbed and assaulted in my whole life in Turkey, in different cities, but in my 2 weeks of vacation in Brazil I have been robbed 4 times. Security in Turkey is very effective.

Arksy

Thousands of Muslims travel every day. You won't have an issue for merely being a Muslim.

You're also travelling to a secular Muslim country. You should have no problems with security checkpoints.

Turkey is an amazing country and while the recent news is troubling, and always be alert, you shouldn't let that stop you from having an absolutely amazing time.

Yeah you guys are probably right. Just with the current situation you never know. On that note, do any of you guys know to must-go places in Istanbul?

Izayoi

Banned
Well, that's unfortunate.

At least the OP has some time left before his trip, and this didn't happen while he was on the way there...

maxcriden

Good looking out max, I was about to come post the same thing.

We're on the same wavelength as usual!

Well, that's unfortunate.

At least the OP has some time left before his trip, and this didn't happen while he was on the way there...

Agreed. Hopefully he can get a refund. This seems like a circumstance where even if you had a no cancellation policy on your flight, hotel, etc. that you'd be able to argue for a refund. He should get in touch with whoever ASAP though if they are Turkish companies.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
lol OP you arent going there.

I went to Turkey a couple of years ago before ISIS and it was a phenomenal experience. wonderful people, great atmosphere and some beautiful sights. I was like i wouldnt mind living here.

Wait for things to settle down and go visit in a few years.

TheBowen

Sat alone in a boggy marsh
Im going on holiday there mid august and have been going there on holiday for the past 11 years. But yeah it is slightly worrying at the moment going there in its political climate. But i. Just waiting to see how things develop.

TheOMan

Tagged as I see fit
Yeah, you're kind of paranoid. There's absolutely nothing to be afraid of, the whole world is in turmoil right now it's not exclusive for Turkey, it's as safe as anywhere in the Europe. I mean, I have never been robbed and assaulted in my whole life in Turkey, in different cities, but in my 2 weeks of vacation in Brazil I have been robbed 4 times. Security in Turkey is very effective.

Crazy how fast things can change.

You should have no problems with security checkpoints.

or maybe.. yes?
B]

op read this one..
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1247184

Kyuur

Got a mate there right now, says its fine - you got nothing to worry about

Thousands of Muslims travel every day. You won't have an issue for merely being a Muslim.

You're also travelling to a secular Muslim country. You should have no problems with security checkpoints.

Turkey is an amazing country and while the recent news is troubling, and always be alert, you shouldn't let that stop you from having an absolutely amazing time.

This is hilarious in hindsight.

komplanen

I saw this thread and said to myself I would not go to a place like Turkey if I didn't have to. I feel good about my prejudices.

Oh for gods sake... :(

Guess gonna have to talk to my family and cancel the ticket. Hope everyone is safe and things get sorted out quickly.

Thanks for notifying peeps.

Jebusman

Banned
Oh for gods sake... :(

I mean yeah it's a bummer that this sort of thing has to happen just before a trip, but at the same time be thankful this shit happened BEFORE you went. If you were there during this I can tell you, you would not be having a very fun time. I'd be booking my ass to the nearest *your country here* embassy in that situation.

KDR_11k

The military has occupied the airports, I don't think the planes are going to take off into that direction anyway, the ones already in the air might get re-routed to other countries too.

I mean yeah it's a bummer that this sort of thing has to happen just before a trip, but at the same time be thankful this shit happened BEFORE you went. If you were there during this I can tell you, you would not be having a very fun time. I'd be booking my ass to the nearest *your country here* embassy in that situation.

Yeah very true -- it could have been much worse!

213372bu

Banned
Glad you're going to try to cancel it.

Some of the video clips of military aircraft/tanks going through residential areas is terrifying.

Worse are the obscured shots of helicopters/groups of people shooting live fire in what looks like populated areas.

Arjen

Fuck, a friend of mine is in Turkey right now, is this stuff just in Istanbul or other areas as well?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom