• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Southeastern US native thinking of moving out West.

I've been on the east my entire life, but I'm ready to branch out and see new places. I have the opportunity for a travel job that could take me anywhere, and I thought I'd be like Fievel and go West (you're an OG if you get that reference).

I like to do a lot of research, but what I love is the mountains but also water. Doesn't even have to be beaches, but maybe some good rivers. I also like to hike a lot and be outside.

This community has led me in good directions on other topics in the past, so just wanted some opinions on places you like. I've never moved so this is scary, but I'm ready to take a leap. Share your opinions!

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I moved from Alabama to Oregon in 2010, and I've never been back.

We have mountains, we have beaches, we have hiking - if you like being outdoors this is an amazing and beautiful place. Unfortunately, we also have a lot of crime that's a direct byproduct of us decriminalizing all substances. Bigger cities like Portland or Salem are also rife with theft and unrest that's going largely unpunished thanks to these brainlets deciding that they wanted to defund the police a few years back. Also, the cost of living here is absolutely insane.

I guess what I'm saying is, don't move to Oregon

I moved from Alabama to Oregon in 2010, and I've never been back.

We have mountains, we have beaches, we have hiking - if you like being outdoors this is an amazing and beautiful place. Unfortunately, we also have a lot of crime that's a direct byproduct of us decriminalizing all substances. Bigger cities like Portland or Salem are also rife with theft and unrest that's going largely unpunished thanks to these brainlets deciding that they wanted to defund the police a few years back. Also, the cost of living here is absolutely insane.

I guess what I'm saying is, don't move to Oregon
That sucks lol. I took one of those tests that said Oregon was great for me to move to lol. Those are good things to note though. I make a modest living. I'll say I make less than 6 figures, but I think it's a modest living.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
That sucks lol. I took one of those tests that said Oregon was great for me to move to lol. Those are good things to note though. I make a modest living. I'll say I make less than 6 figures, but I think it's a modest living.
I don't mean to bag on my state too much - there are a lot of really nice places in eastern Oregon that are very rural (if that's your jam) and remind me quite a bit of "back home". The cost of living can still be pretty high, and drugs are still decriminalized or in some cases straight up legal, and in my opinion those places aren't as pleasant for the outdoorsy stuff. Lots of desert and farmland. That being said, they seem to still have a semblance of law and order still and would probably be an alright place to live.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I travel Iowa and Nebraska quite a bit. If you’re really wanting mountains head to Colorado. If you want beautiful scenery move to Iowa. Lots and lots of farm land in Nebraska and Iowa. Nebraska has some decent parts, especially in Scottsbluff and North Platte. A lot more hills/mountains in that area. I recommend Iowa, Des Moines especially. Cost of living isn’t bad and it’s a beautiful area.

adventure and change is always good for the soul. You grow as a person in many ways. Worst case scenario you can always return back to your SE roots.

While you can, ie family life/work allows you to, i would test out as many places as i could. Doing so becomes a lot more arduous and implausible once you begin establishing roots with wife, kids, schools, career, etc

Last edited:

jason10mm

Gold Member
Depending on how dry you like it, places like Albuquerque, El Paso, and Flagstaff can be quite awesome. If you can live more rural and want some woods, upstate New Mexico in general is quite beautiful and away from Santa Fe, pretty reasonable. Flagstaff is INCREDIBLE but pricey from what I can gather, in just a few hours you can hit a ridiculous range of terrain. Not that familiar with the places farther north, them winters will KILL YOU!

Faust

Perpetually Tired
Staff Member
If you want great rivers, mountains, and hiking then I would advice against the west coast. You can get all of that with cheaper costs of living, equally as good jobs in most sectors, and a full four season cycle with mostly kind, caring individuals in and around the Midwest. The Black Hills in the Dakotas and the Deadlands in South Dakota are gorgeous to visit and hike through. Or you could go to Vermont. Probably the most beautiful hiking spots in the entirety of the US.

Meicyn

Gold Member
Go for it man, have fun! Lots of cool stuff to see and do. Just be wary of establishing roots unless it’s the coastal west like Oregon or Washington. The remainder of the western states are facing impending water supply issues. Unfortunately Americans love kicking the can down the road and the debt will come due in about 15 years. California can desalinate their way out of the problem but that’s really expensive, so the cost to live there is going to get even worse than ever. The other states like Colorado and Utah will have to import water which will be even pricier. I sure as hell wouldn’t want to be in Arizona in 2040.

If you want great rivers, mountains, and hiking then I would advice against the west coast. You can get all of that with cheaper costs of living, equally as good jobs in most sectors, and a full four season cycle with mostly kind, caring individuals in and around the Midwest. The Black Hills in the Dakotas and the Deadlands in South Dakota are gorgeous to visit and hike through. Or you could go to Vermont. Probably the most beautiful hiking spots in the entirety of the US.
Very interesting. I'll keep this in mind thank you. For reference, I have been to every state in the south east and Texas. I'm tired of the Bible belt honestly. So I'm not opposed to suggestions of the Midwest and the north.

jason10mm

Gold Member
Go for it man, have fun! Lots of cool stuff to see and do. Just be wary of establishing roots unless it’s the coastal west like Oregon or Washington. The remainder of the western states are facing impending water supply issues. Unfortunately Americans love kicking the can down the road and the debt will come due in about 15 years. California can desalinate their way out of the problem but that’s really expensive, so the cost to live there is going to get even worse than ever. The other states like Colorado and Utah will have to import water which will be even pricier. I sure as hell wouldn’t want to be in Arizona in 2040.
Detroit is gonna be the boom town of 2040, Mark my words! You can buy ENTIRE NEIGHBORHOODS for the price of a condo in San Diego, get that real estate while it's cheap!

Depending on how dry you like it, places like Albuquerque, El Paso, and Flagstaff can be quite awesome. If you can live more rural and want some woods, upstate New Mexico in general is quite beautiful and away from Santa Fe, pretty reasonable. Flagstaff is INCREDIBLE but pricey from what I can gather, in just a few hours you can hit a ridiculous range of terrain. Not that familiar with the places farther north, them winters will KILL YOU!
Yeah I was specifically recommended flagstaff on a quiz I took lol. Good notes to have

Thank you I'll definitely add this to my list. Any other suggestions are highly welcome

Winter John

Gold Member
I recommend you take a good look at Missoula. It's got everything you're looking for within easy reach. You can even get drunk and surf down the Clark if you want to. The main reason I recommend it is it's a college town with all the modern comforts so it's not going to feel too alien. Plus you can sell up real quick and won't lose money if you decide rural living's not for you.

NecrosaroIII

Ask me about my terrible takes on Star Trek characters
Don’t. Spent my entire life in CA. The place is an unlivable hellhole now. I hope you like $600 monthly gas bills on top of a $1200 electric bill. That’s before rent and mortgage.
They're not thaaaat high. My electric bill was 260 this month

Billbofet

I will often research places I want to retire, and Wyoming and Montana are top of my list. I think the Southwest corner of South Dakota is great, but not sure how brutal winter is in those areas.
Anyway, I have watched a ton of vids on this channel, and he has solid content and goes over the stats in each area/state/city he covers: https://www.youtube.com/@WorldAccordingToBriggs
Best of luck on your decision!

Well good luck OP, I just made the opposite move from the Bay Area California to North Georgia. I’m terms of what you described and your preferences it sounds just like my old home town of
Santa Rosa, CA. Such a beautiful area, they call it the Redwood Empire. Armstrong Redwoods , Anadel State Park, the Russian River. It’s gorgeous up there. I was born and raised there. It’s a beautiful area and there are unlimited natural activities and beauty. Amazing food…the best? The best fucking weed in the country! 35 mins from the he beach, 45 mins to San Francisco. Tahoe is less than 3 hours and Reno is 4 hours away. I miss the place. But I miss how it was and not how it is now. Homeless, drugs, mental illness in your face daily. Graffiti everywhere and vandalism on the regular. Corrupt politicians and crumbling infrastructure. I hope you enjoy living with restrictions. Water restrictions, electricity restrictions, blackouts, “fire season”. So many small business were destroyed during the lockdowns. People are struggling. The cost of living is through the roof. Hope you enjoy paying $400-500 a month for electricity and gas, and that’s without an air conditioner. Gasoline is almost $2 more a gallon. Car registration is hundreds a year. If you got loads of dough OP, and this is what you want go for it! You only live once. But for me, am just glad I’m gone.

Well good luck OP, I just made the opposite move from the Bay Area California to North Georgia. I’m terms of what you described and your preferences it sounds just like my old home town of
Santa Rosa, CA. Such a beautiful area, they call it the Redwood Empire. Armstrong Redwoods , Anadel State Park, the Russian River. It’s gorgeous up there. I was born and raised there. It’s a beautiful area and there are unlimited natural activities and beauty. Amazing food…the best? The best fucking weed in the country! 35 mins from the he beach, 45 mins to San Francisco. Tahoe is less than 3 hours and Reno is 4 hours away. I miss the place. But I miss how it was and not how it is now. Homeless, drugs, mental illness in your face daily. Graffiti everywhere and vandalism on the regular. Corrupt politicians and crumbling infrastructure. I hope you enjoy living with restrictions. Water restrictions, electricity restrictions, blackouts, “fire season”. So many small business were destroyed during the lockdowns. People are struggling. The cost of living is through the roof. Hope you enjoy paying $400-500 a month for electricity and gas, and that’s without an air conditioner. Gasoline is almost $2 more a gallon. Car registration is hundreds a year. If you got loads of dough OP, and this is what you want go for it! You only live once. But for me, am just glad I’m gone.
Yeahhh I don't really think California is what I want in general. People here have me reconsidering the Midwest. But I'm pretty positive Cali isn't for me

Durien

I've been on the east my entire life, but I'm ready to branch out and see new places. I have the opportunity for a travel job that could take me anywhere, and I thought I'd be like Fievel and go West (you're an OG if you get that reference).

I like to do a lot of research, but what I love is the mountains but also water. Doesn't even have to be beaches, but maybe some good rivers. I also like to hike a lot and be outside.

This community has led me in good directions on other topics in the past, so just wanted some opinions on places you like. I've never moved so this is scary, but I'm ready to take a leap. Share your opinions!
While I love the beauty of Washington, I keep telling my wife I want to move. If you do move here, move ANYWHERE but King County and areas south of Seattle. Do your homework, seriously.
Climate in Washington is different and the Cascade Mountain divides the state in all kinds of ways. Eastern Washington is more Republican and farmland. Hot in summer, cold in winter. Get quite a bit of snow. Western Washington is Democrat basically because of King County. (Seattle and Metro Area).

I live in Western Washington. Housing prices are insane. Gas is getting insane (2nd highest in lower 48). There was an article that showed we have people moving into the Seattle metro area from out of state. The people in Seattle are moving to the burbs and the burbs are moving out of state to Texas and Florida. For weather, we'll get a week of hot weather here and there during summer. You'll get a perpetual
misting of rain from like October until June. I live in an area called the convergence zone still get snow when other people will get rain. My brother used to send me photos of people shooting up heroin around his place of work in Seattle. He ended up moving to Idaho and LOVES IT.
All I can say is do your homework. Expect to pay premium for a house in Seattle, Bellevue, Redmond, Kirkland, Bothell and Issaquah area..Even rent may blow your mind..LOTS of tech jobs here but lot of layoffs too last couple of years. Because of the tech industry salaries, prices for things can be higher than you are used to.
However one benefit of living here is the water quality. Holy cow, I have been all over the us, and some places overseas, and the water taste s better here than any place I have been. It is also nice to see deer when driving to work and raccoons.

So youre the guy making my housing prices absurdly unaffordable

Like seriously, how do you people deal with the state taking another 10% of your income? I think as a Floridian we would happily lynch our governor who hand the audacity to propose a state income tax.

Durien

Like seriously, how do you people deal with the state taking another 10% of your income? I think as a Floridian we would happily lynch our governor who hand the audacity to propose a state income tax.
Washington State keeps trying to find ways to tax the people. We have something in our state constitution that says they can't so they get taken to court and the lose. It doesn't stop them from trying though. It is almost like they are probing for a weakness in the rules that will stick.

GeekyDad

Colorado.

You can drive 10 minutes outside of Denver in the summer, and be in the mountains where it's snowing. The climate and general nature of Colorado is beautiful. But you'll have to adjust to hydration, especially if you're staying up in higher altitudes.

Blade2.0

I get it but why for you specifically?
For me it's too damn hot and I don't like the reliance on cars. I want a place with good public transit. Lived in China for nine years and got spoiled. I'm also an atheist and hard to find someone to date when all they want is a Christian. Had more than one woman call it off just for that.

Durien

For me it's too damn hot and I don't like the reliance on cars. I want a place with good public transit. Lived in China for nine years and got spoiled. I'm also an atheist and hard to find someone to date when all they want is a Christian. Had more than one woman call it off just for that.
You *might* get away with not having a car if you live, work, and have shopping (like groceries) in the same area. I don't think I could live without a car as I live rurally. Used to take me an hour or so to get to work but I am also about 40 minutes from skiing and about 2 1/2 hours from Canadian border. I don't think I would move here for the public transit. Having just come back from almost a month in Japan, we have nothing like their rail system here.

Blade2.0

You *might* get away with not having a car if you live, work, and have shopping (like groceries) in the same area. I don't think I could live without a car as I live rurally. Used to take me an hour or so to get to work but I am also about 40 minutes from skiing and about 2 1/2 hours from Canadian border. I don't think I would move here for the public transit. Having just come back from almost a month in Japan, we have nothing like their rail system here.
Yea, I'm actually leaning heavily towards Chicago. It's rather cheap for one of the biggest cities in the states (Housing anyways from what I've seen), and I've already used the transit there. I also have a nice group to hang out with even before I get up there because 2 people I knew from china are there and my best friend since HS is there.

Mossybrew

As others have said if you go all the way to the west coast cost of living is really high pretty much anywhere here from San Diego to Seattle. But plenty of real estate in more inland states & areas to consider that would be much cheaper.

Top Bottom