• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My first 3 months with a PS5 is kinda a mixed bag...

Now you know why mine just sits collecting dust behind the TV whilst my Series X and PC are getting the playtime. It doesnt matter how you cut it, the PS5 is a shit system right down to it's core

It seems to be winning though, fuck knows how.

VHS won over Betamax though, that's humans for you 🤷‍♂️
Beta only recorded for one hour. Rca wanted two hours but sony said no. Jvc saod yes with the vcr format and gave them two hours of recording time. The rest is history.

Ar¢tos

dont care lol GIF
Here is the shortened version :
- PS5 is a badly designed unreliable piece of shit.
- XSX is absolutely perfect, has nice boobs and gives great head.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
I was pretty underwhelmed when I got my PS5 after reading constant praise for it here. I honestly think the Series X is a better system.

I think a lot of people have no idea what the other systems are like when they praise one over the other, evidenced here when people say the PS5 isn't the greatest and are immediately accused of being on a payroll.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Looks like you are looking for issues and have a hard time switching environments.
Like moving from android to iPhone. It’s just different but because it’s different, it might seem worse at first…. And becomes 2nd nature after a while.

Edit: also fuck gamepass and waiting for games you want to play to be free. Buy games you want to play. That’s the only way to ensure more good games

Last edited:

cireza

As a SEGA fan I bought the Saturn first on day one. That's the only PS console I had no problems with.
My PS experience as well except that I also had issues with the PS1. So basically, after having poor to shitty experience with PS1 PS2 PS3 and PS4 I gave up and never bought a PS5. Which honestly is the best gaming decision I took regarding PS.

Only good hardware experience I had were PSP and Vita. I still remember having to relaunch downloads up to 3 times to get decent speeds on PS3...

Xbox provides a better user experience, always have. I did have 2 Xbox 360 dying on me, but they were replaced smoothly directly at my home. Which wasn't the case of both my PS3...

Last edited:

Zathalus

Classy man, so it's nonesens that I lost my savefiles because PS is to cheap to offer cloud saves for free like Xbox does? It's also nonesens that I lost the whole library icon on the PS taskbar after I did a factory reset with a file downloaded from their site? Or that moving or copying stuff on the PS5 isn't treated like a background task, but locks you out from using the system completely until the moving or copying is done. To me those are clear pro's for XBOX and how they handle the same stuff, but you know pointing to those facts apparently makes you a shill...

It's the first time I hear that the 990 has issues, I'm Dutch and on the Dutch tech sites the reviews were very good, also the three YouTube reviews in English I watched said it was a very good NVMe for the PS5, on the site that I ordered it from it was the cheapest price it has ever been so it was somewhat of an impulse buy and I didn't thoroughly researched like I would when I'm buying a new car or TV or something.

A WD SN850 sadly doesn't come in 4TB, I believe the 4TB 990Pro is also quite new from september '23 (?) so maybe Samsung fixed the issues they had with the smaller sized ssd's?
Don't worry about the 990, all the 4TB drives come with a newer firmware version that long addressed the issue from almost a year ago. I bought a 990 for my PS5 as well recently and have had no issues with the drive (4TB black Friday special). I'd say reset your PS5 and if that doesn't solve your issue send it in for repairs. Both the XSX and PS5 have consoles that fail but the issues for both are not really widespread and shouldn't color your opinion of the hardware.

You have a valid point about the cloudsaves though. Very frustrating.

Filben

For people claiming the DS battery sucks balls how long are you playing before it dies? I’ve played 5 hours straight without it dying so I’m curious how long you guys are getting out of it.
I'm also curious. I wish I had the time to have +5 hours game sessions in one run. Usually I just hook up the DualSense to the USB cable and let it charge while the PS5 is in rest mode when I stop playing. Next time I turn it on – fully charged controller.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
My PS experience as well except that I also had issues with the PS1. So basically, after having poor to shitty experience with PS1 PS2 PS3 and PS4 I gave up and never bought a PS5. Which honestly is the best gaming decision I took regarding PS.

Only good hardware experience I had were PSP and Vita. I still remember having to relaunch downloads up to 3 times to get decent speeds on PS3...

Xbox provides a better user experience, always have. I did have 2 Xbox 360 dying on me, but they were replaced smoothly directly at my home. Which wasn't the case of both my PS3...
That’s delusional. How can you have bad user experience with ps3,4 or especially ?!
It’s as transparent and easy to use as possible.
My ps4 and ps5 experience was and is perfect. There are absolutely no issues. Everything works. The only thing I dislike is psn nesting. It’s a mess at times… and library could use more filters since it’s a mess too. But I play physical so I dont care.

Xbox ui is fucking terrible. It’s the same tales shit evolved from last Xbox 360 ui update. It was great with blades and nxe. Then they ruined it.

Last edited:

clarky

Gold Member
It's the best console Sony ever made. Amazing visuals and performance, great games. Dead silent and fast hardware.
Need to wait until the end of the gen to call that but at the moment its tied with 3 for the worst. For their time 1,2 & 4 all did all that better by far (apart from the silence bit).

Also whoever designed the aesthetics of the 5 need to be shot. Its fucking ugly as sin and can't even be positioned horizontally like 90% of users normally do without some cheap plastic shit.

Last edited:

cireza

How can you have bad user experience with ps3,4 or especially ?!
That's delusional ? lol. That's the experience I had. Be in denial if you want...

PS3 -> overheated
PS3 Slim -> stopped working 2 months after the end of the warranty
PS4 -> overheated

My consoles are all perfectly ventilated by the way.

If it can help you feel better :
First 360 -> visuals artifacts
Second 360 -> pretty much the same issue

Never had any issue with all my other Xbox consoles.
The few issues I had with my Sega consoles I could fix myself, for example Dreamcast randomly rebooting.

My current Saturn has an ODE, a brand new RGB cable, a brand new controller, a brand new PSU, I switched the console myself (I switched all my consoles myself anyway), all my Nintendo consoles are softmodded etc... I know my way around my consoles.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
That's delusional ? lol. That's the experience I had. Be in denial if you want...

PS3 -> overheated
PS4 -> overheated

The few issues I had with my Sega consoles I could fix myself, for example Dreamcast randomly rebooting.

My current Saturn has an ODE, a brand new RGB cable, a brand new controller, a brand new PSU, I switched the console myself (I switched all my consoles myself anyway), all my Nintendo consoles are softmodded etc... I know my way around my consoles.
Sounds like you had overheating problems. Maybe you keep consoles too closed down?
Anyway. Ps5 don’t have overheating issues

Wizz-Art

For people claiming the DS battery sucks balls how long are you playing before it dies? I’ve played 5 hours straight without it dying so I’m curious how long you guys are getting out of it.

I'm comparing (obviously) with the Xbox and Switch pro controllers and on average I find that it drains the battery twice to three times as fast as the others. Best use I had were two sessions of playing Day's Gone for 3 hours each before I had to charge it again. So about 6-7 hours a charge which in my opinion is just bad.

Sounds really shitty op but a lot of bad luck.

I think my only main issue with the playstaiton eco system Is no free cloud saves.

The rest of what you had happen is bad luck I think.

Hope its all sorted now?

I think it's also bad luck, hadn't had an issue - other than the missing library icon - since the factory reset yesterday. I'm in the proces of DL all the stuff again, most of it is done yesterday. Have GT7, Death Stranding DC, Uncharted: Legacy of Thieves and Callisto Protocol on disc to go and once they're downloaded/installed and moved to an external HDD I can try for a factory reset again to see if it fixes the missing library icon, but I'm still hesitant to do so because the factory reset caused the missing icon in the first place. That's why I asked for advise here.
Xbox ui is fucking terrible. It’s the same tales shit evolved from last Xbox 360 ui update. It was great with blades and nxe. Then they ruined it.
That's what I kept reading all the time but you know what, now that I have my own PS5, it's not true and I can argue why. You may not like it but these are the facts. On Xbox I can change the themes/background, colors and customize the homepage like I want to. There's also a button to go straight to my games library and if that somehow disappears I can stil go to my library through the Xbox guide. Doing a basic task like moving and copying from one drive to another shouldn't lock you out of using the system completely, that's just absurd!

Don't worry about the 990, all the 4TB drives come with a newer firmware version that long addressed the issue from almost a year ago. I bought a 990 for my PS5 as well recently and have had no issues with the drive (4TB black Friday special). I'd say reset your PS5 and if that doesn't solve your issue send it in for repairs. Both the XSX and PS5 have consoles that fail but the issues for both are not really widespread and shouldn't color your opinion of the hardware.

You have a valid point about the cloudsaves though. Very frustrating.

Thank you for this info! That's what I figured because it's a relatively new drive the 4TB model. I haven't had an issue with the new drive since the factory reset yesterday.

And yeah offering cloud saves to all PS owners would've at least saved my completion file of Days Gone. Yeah I was luckily finished with it getting the platinum but now I can't even try new game+. It took me 100+ hours to do everything, I liked the game but I'm not doing that all over again.
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

To some others that question if I'm sincere and not a paid shill or something. Yes I prefer Xbox since the PS360 gen which is just my opinion and I never hid that fact on here hence my avatar, they are just doing stuff better. It's not a money issue or even time issue, I work from home for decades now and make my own hours and have the time and money for this hobby. It's been over a gen that I had a PS and I figured that the system has had enough exclusives to warrant a purchase and try them out. I didn't like GT7 or Death Stranding a lot. I liked Astro's playroom and Days Gone. And have a lot more games to go before I'm done with the system. I bought all the games as having one gaming sub is enough and I don't do MP on PS, as all my friends are on Xbox.

Oh, and here's a picture of what my PS homescreen looks like, the library icon is clearly missing and I searched for it too but couldn't find anything so that's why I'm all WTF about it and ask why something like that is even possible and if a new factory reset would in fact return the icon.

Bojji

PS3 -> overheated
PS4 -> overheated

I'm probably born under some lucky star or something. I had:

PSX - zero problems
PS2 Fat - zero problems
PS2 Slim - zero problems
PS3 Fat - zero problems
Xbox 360 - zero problems
PS4 original - zero problems
PS3 SS - zero problems
PS4 Pro - zero problems (but it was loud as fuck)
PS3 Slim - zero problems
PS5 - (so far) zero problems
XSX - zero problems

I sold all those consoles in perfectly working condition (other than ps5 that I'm currently using).

Ar¢tos

Sounds like you had overheating problems. Maybe you keep consoles too closed down?
Anyway. Ps5 don’t have overheating issues
Mine does.....
When I turn it on and forget to remove the dust cover from it 😜
It happened a few times but it only shutdown 2x while playing PS5 games (I didn't manage to run to it to remove the cover in time) , with ps4 games the fans go into ultra fast and loud mode but it it doesn't shut down.

elbourreau

PS1 > zero problem
PS2 > zero problem
PS3 fat #1 > power supply KO
PS3 fat #2 > HDD Ko
PS3 slim > zero problem
PS4 pro > zero problem

PS3 fat was a living hell, but every other consoles I get were very well manufactured. Even My xbox360 was great years after years.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
I was pretty underwhelmed when I got my PS5 after reading constant praise for it here. I honestly think the Series X is a better system.

I think a lot of people have no idea what the other systems are like when they praise one over the other, evidenced here when people say the PS5 isn't the greatest and are immediately accused of being on a payroll.

As someone who has owned both, I'd say 95% of this is just about personal preference. I don't think anyone is shocked that a couple of die-hard Xbox fans like yourself and the OP prefer their Xbox over PlayStation. No, doesn't make you shills, but not exactly the bastion of objectivity here either.

PS1 💙 some dust on laser sensor, could wipe that out myself
PS2 💙 No issues
PS3 💙 No issues
PS4 💙 No issues
PS4 pro 💙 needed to blow it few times with compressed air to make it run as silently as it can
PS5 💙 No issues

Xbox 💩 No issues
Xbox 360 💩 Had it at launch, sold it before it could have any issues
XBone 💩 Got one from MSFT at launch, sold it (totally unnecessary console)
XSX 💩 No issues yet, but even from the setup experience of the system it falls behind of PS5, no exclusives worth mentioning

Last edited:

reinking

Gold Member

Are you salaried or do you get paid per post? :messenger_winking_tongue:

Some people will be underwhelmed by one system or they other but in this post you have someone sporting an Xbox avatar that post history clearly shows they favor Xbox and instead of complaining about the PS5 issues decides to do a comparison of the bad system vs the good system. I think it is reasonable to assume the poster is a bit bias.

GHG

As someone who has owned both, I'd say 95% of this is just about personal preference. I don't think anyone is shocked that a couple of die-hard Xbox fans like yourself and the OP prefer their Xbox over PlayStation. No, doesn't make you shills, but not exactly the bastion of objectivity here either.

When the OP has more mentions of Xbox than it does the PS5 this thread was supposed to be about, its difficult not to question things. It follows the same pattern as people who have been found out here before and then subsequently banished.

I've created threads here before when I've had issues with consoles (or exclusive games on the respective consoles) and I've never felt the need to talk about anything other than the console or game I'm having issues with.

If someone's first instinct when creating a thread like this is to attempt to turn it into some thinly veiled ad for something the subject isn't even about then it's going to get the appropriate response.

Last edited:

Cyberpunkd

I simply love my Xbox Series X with Game Pass Ultimate, the best value deal in all of gaming. With Quick Resume, the Velocity Architecture and true RDNA 2 feature set I buy all of my multi-platform games on Xbox. For the small price of £479 you too could play the latest classics like Conker’s Bad Fur Day.

I am obviously a genuine gamer, just like my compatriots Solo King Robert and the rest of the merry Neo GAF crew.
Canadian Wow GIF by DJ Khaled

cormack12

Gold Member
Copying as a foreground task is shit, yeah. Will primarily affect those who use an archive slower disk as copying to and from the M2 is generally quick. Unless you are batch copying. Regardless of that though, even if Xbox does allow it as a background task as soon as you start a game it slows down the entire queue so swings and roundabouts.

Error from incorrect shutdown only happens if you unplug while in rest mode or unplug while powered on (or the power is inadvertently cut). That behaviour can occur though if your HDMI is also loose/crappy wire.

For your icon, try rebuilding database: https://www.playstationlifestyle.ne...atabase-on-ps5-playstation-meaning-data-loss/ - not seen that issue before. What's your software version on the console?

Power button - yeah it's not as clean as the PS4 but after one month it's a non-issue really. Just have to train the behaviour out.
Dualsense varies, on SM2 my launch DS was lasting prob 3 hours, maybe a shade over and I don't have haptics switched on. I've put a fully charged DS in this morning for Ragnarok so will feed back. It's had an hour so far.
Suspend and Resume is different to activity cards. Suspend and Resume wont reposition your character in a game or reload checkpoints.

ReBurn

Gold Member
I have the reverse. When i turn on my console it also turns on the TV and switches to the proper imput. But if i only turn on the TV the console stays off. I love this feauture and only found out recently.
I think my issue is partly Samsung since it's the only TV it happened on. When I would turn on the PS5 it would also turn on the TV and switch the input, which was nice when I wanted to play games. But I have other HDMI-CEC devices connected and if I turned any of them of them on or off the PS5 would turn on and switch the input to itself. Turning off the TV after watching a movie would turn off the receiver. Then the PS5 would turn on, which would turn the TV back on, switch the input, and turn the receiver back on. It was maddening. Only console this happened with. So I just disabled the device link for the PS5 and all was good. I would prefer to leave it on but I got tired of playing whack-a-mole whenever I toggled the power on anything.

I actually read the entire OP. A few points:

1) The power button thing on PS5 is dumb. On PS4, it was simple: hold down the PS button and select off.

2) Suspend will always suspend the game in rest mode. It will only fail if you power off or restart the console.

3) You just… blindly bought all the exclusive games before even knowing if you will play them?

I think the PS5 is easily the worst PlayStation I’ve ever owned. Including the handhelds. Sony’s handling of their studios has sucked, imo. No Killzone, Jak, Resistance or other IP’s that I liked on past PlayStations. Then you look how they’ve handled GaaS and it’s even worse. Then you factor in the PS+ price increase.
This. PS2 peaked, then PlayStation started going downhill with each generation.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Punished Miku Punished Miku when his colleagues are rumbled

pp,504x498-pad,600x600,f8f8f8.jpg
Well I made it pretty clear I think you've been posting baseless trash lately, so there's no mask. I don't have any "colleagues" here unless this is you once again trying to lie about someone being paid by MS. Just tired of the constant shit derails. Yes, the guy likes Xbox. But he's a poster from 2012 that wrote a very long and detailed thread describing his opinions for discussion, like NeoGAF in the old days when people could write. And all the thread turned into is the same tired ad hominem "paid shill" crap you do on a routine basis - never with a shred of proof or consequences for yourself. It gets really, really old.

Banjo64

cumsessed
Well I made it pretty clear I think you've been posting baseless trash lately, so there's no mask. I don't have any "colleagues" here unless this is you once again trying to lie about someone being paid by MS. Just tired of the constant shit derails. Yes, the guy likes Xbox. But he's a poster from 2012 that wrote a very long and detailed thread describing his opinions for discussion, like NeoGAF in the old days when people could write. And all the thread turned into is the same tired ad hominem "paid shill" crap you do on a routine basis - never with a shred of proof or consequences for yourself. It gets really, really old.
Sounds like something a shill would say

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Edit: also fuck gamepass and waiting for games you want to play to be free. Buy games you want to play. That’s the only way to ensure more good games
I hate to break it to you but that isn't how this works. Sony sold single player their games in the 10s of millions. So what did they do - pivot to GaaS. Doesn't matter if you buy the games you want if the big profit margins are somewhere else.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I hate to break it to you but that isn't how this works. Sony sold single player their games in the 10s of millions. So what did they do - pivot to GaaS. Doesn't matter if you buy the games you want if the big profit margins are somewhere else.
And look how gaas works for them…
And I don’t know what gaas has to do with what I said about gamepass

GHG

The derail happened in the opening post.

Top Bottom