• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My first 3 months with a PS5 is kinda a mixed bag...

S0ULZB0URNE

You say that 1tb shouldn't completely kill the device health, but when these drives have issues there have been reports that a couple of TB is enough to drop the drive to 64% of reliability.

Considering the issues Samsung drives have previously had there's no telling what the cause of the issue is with the drive without closer inspection. My first instinct would be that the drive has overheated and the cooling is insufficient, but then it's a Samsung drive that is notoriously problematic, so it could well be something else. Regardless, he would have been far better off going with a less performant drive from another brand, it would have been cheaper as well.

Also, there's no shame in suggesting that the OP could take a break from his usual forum activities to ask for some advice prior to purchasing an NVME drive. Would have potentially saved a lot of headache.

I knew the 980 had issues but the 990 as well yikes!

I rock with WD and Nextorage for my PS5 and PC's.

GHG

I knew the 980 had issues but the 990 as well yikes!

I rock with WD and Nextorage for my PS5 and PC's.

The irony in all of this is that I actually have a 980 pro in my PS5 and have had no issues *touch wood*. However due to everything that's come about since I purchased that drive it's certainly the last Samsung drive I'll ever purchase. Have Sabrent, WD, Kingston and Crucial drives in my PCs and I've never needed to faff about with firmware or worry about any of them.

tmlDan

I don't think you had to write that much for the things you outlined, 3-4 small bullet points could have covered it.

Wizz-Art

I have both systems and the shutting down on PS5 is admittedly shit, as is the lack of folders from the later PS4 era. I still prefer the PS5 OS though. The Xbox OS pushes more unrelated shit in my face.
The Xbox UI is way more customizable though, I don't know how it's possible that the PS5 takes away the ability to use the themes/backgrounds the user wants. I found out after I got the platinum for Days Gone which unlocks a dynamic theme, but that is only useable on the PS4 as 5 doesn't allow for it. I don't get the reasoning to take away something your previous console allowed.

Quick resume is nice and all, but I wish there is a feature to turn it off per game basis. On games with persistent online features, it crashes a lot or you have to reload to sign in. In Killer Instinct AE which I played a ton recently it often doesn't work. Besides, most games these days boot up so fast its kind of a non issue if it isn't there. It would've been a better feature for past generations.
Quick resume is what I miss most when I'm on other consoles, true it doesn't work great with live services/online games but those games I know of that don't work so good with quick resume I quit manually everytime I'm done playing them. For me that's only Forza Horizon 5 and FM though at the moment.
Also, there's no shame in suggesting that the OP could take a break from his usual forum activities to ask for some advice prior to purchasing an NVME drive. If he's capable of writing the mini-thesis that exists in the OP then I'm sure a single one-line question shouldn't be too troublesome. Would have potentially saved a lot of headache.
I could've asked but I didn't so that's not helping me, next time I'm sure I will ask for advise. What would you have recommended anyway?

If I want a 4TB NVMe my choice's are pretty limited to begin with. Seagate's offering is over a €100 more than Samsungs here in the Netherlands. I got the 990Pro for €319 considering I payed almost the same for the 2TB Seagate Xbox Series expansion card a couple of weeks ago, I figured twice the memory for the same price and pulled the trigger after briefly reading a tech review on tweakers and watching three YT video's that recommended the stick. And I'm still not sure that the 990 caused the issue. In the error report I posted user BlackTron commented it was a internal memory reading issue.

cash_longfellow

Gold Member
There’s a whole lot of “Xbox does this better”, “like Xbox does”, “Xbox”, etc in your post. Too much for me to take it serious tbh. Not saying you are lying, just saying sell your ps5 and play Xbox if that’s how you really feel. Seems like you are going through a lot of hassle for something that isn’t as good as Xbox in your eyes lol

To be honest though I stopped reading when you complained about how it’s so difficult to turn the ps5 off 😂

Last edited:

GHG

The Xbox UI is way more customizable though, I don't know how it's possible that the PS5 takes away the ability to use the themes/backgrounds the user wants. I found out after I got the platinum for Days Gone which unlocks a dynamic theme, but that is only useable on the PS4 as 5 doesn't allow for it. I don't get the reasoning to take away something your previous console allowed.

Quick resume is what I miss most when I'm on other consoles, true it doesn't work great with live services/online games but those games I know of that don't work so good with quick resume I quit manually everytime I'm done playing them. For me that's only Forza Horizon 5 and FM though at the moment.

I could've asked but I didn't so that's not helping me, next time I'm sure I will ask for advise. What would you have recommended anyway?

If I want a 4TB NVMe my choice's are pretty limited to begin with. Seagate's offering is over a €100 more than Samsungs here in the Netherlands. I got the 990Pro for €319 considering I payed almost the same for the 2TB Seagate Xbox Series expansion card a couple of weeks ago, I figured twice the memory for the same price and pulled the trigger after briefly reading a tech review on tweakers and watching three YT video's that recommended the stick. And I'm still not sure that the 990 caused the issue.

For 4tb the SN850P or SN850X. It doesn't matter which one, they are both the same, go with whichever is cheaper. Or the Kingston Fury renegade. You'll probably be able to find the Kingston for cheaper if pricing is the same as where I live.

If you're willing to drop to 2TB then your options really open up. You can get the Crucial P5 Plus which is the best value NVME drive on the market.

In the error report I posted user BlackTron commented it was a internal memory reading issue.

That's because the first error code is consistent with a read error and he's assuming you're transferring data from the internal storage drive. But in the OP you stated you're actually transferring from an external drive but that gets lost because the post is too long for anybody to reasonably help you:

After getting the platinum on Days Gone a few days ago, I yesterday received the new drive to expand the storage. I installed it, and when reconnecting the PS5 everything looked good, so I get to move stuff over from the external HDD to the new NVMe (a Samsung Pro 990 4TB) I just installed.

The second error code is consistent with people having issues with transferring to and from external drives on their PS5:

So the issue is either the external drive or your 990 pro (or they don't want to play nice with each other).

Easy way to troubleshoot is to do some tests moving some games directly from your internal drive to the NVME and then back again. If there aren't any errors you can rule that out.

Last edited:
Yeah that’s kinda the ps5. Just have the settings where it doesn’t shut off automatically and just go ahead and it best to just shut it off completely. Forget the somewhat loose or whatever. You will always be warn bout not to cut it off or lose power on the ps5. Had it happen a few times, ps5 took a bit fixing itself but did always went back to normal nothing like yours. Xbox, anything to do with memory downloading or switching drives. It doesn’t faze it at all. Can keep playing it as does it on the background. Also, heck just unplug it completely. Plug it back up it back to where ever it was. Not so when it comes to the ps5 with anything bout memory for sure

JTCx

There’s a whole lot of “Xbox does this better”, “like Xbox does”, “Xbox”, etc in your post. Too much for me to take it serious tbh. Not saying you are lying, just saying sell your ps5 and play Xbox if that’s how you really feel. Seems like you are going through a lot of hassle for something that isn’t as good as Xbox in your eyes lol

To be honest though I stopped reading when you complained about how it’s so difficult to turn the ps5 off 😂
Reminder, these are the same folks that have trouble using screwdrivers.

angrod14

Come on bro there is no games, spider man 2 was meh horizon feels like a ubisoft game, dad of god was bore, gt7 is kino though
Really liked both Ragnarok and Spidey 2. Returnal, Demon Souls and Rachet were also cool. And in days the GOAT of GOATS Remaster will be released: PART II. PS5 rules.

GHG

This is the whole issue.

Instead of saying, "I have a PS5, days gone was fun, these are the problems I'm having, these are the error codes, can someone help? " he tries his best to turn it into some rambling sales-pitch/promo for Xbox and therefore it's a shitshow from minute one. I've only just now realised he was trying to move his games directly from an external USB drive to the NVME because there's so much crap in that post.

Zero sympathy.

Last edited:

JTCx

This is the whole issue.

Instead of saying, "I have a PS5, days gone was fun, these are the problems I'm having, these are the error codes, can someone help? " he tries his best to turn it into some rambling sales-pitch/promo for Xbox and therefore it's a shitshow from minute one. I've only just now realised he was trying to move his games directly from an external USB drive to the NVME because there's so much crap in that post.

Zero sympathy.
The dude is a walking infomercial. "ITS SO HARD TO TURN THE PS5 OFF!11! " -
109393.jpg

giphy.gif

Last edited:

Wizz-Art

Easy way to troubleshoot is to do some tests moving some games directly from your internal drive to the NVME and then back again. If there aren't any errors you can rule that out.

I've already done that today to see how fast it's moving stuff between internal and the 990Pro and it's fast, like really fast. So I can rule out that there is a problem between the internal and 990 Pro I guess. Must've been the Seagate 4TB external HDD causing the issue when I was moving stuff from it to the 990Pro. Very glad that it isn't the internal.

This is the whole issue.

Zero sympathy.

And than you go from being helpful to being the rude GHG that we all know.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
109393.jpg

giphy.gif
If you actually have both systems its actually a pretty common complaint. It's commenting on the system UI. That's perhaps a little too highbrow for you I guess? A common way to grade UI for basic functions like power off is how many presses it takes, since it's repeated a lot. Xbox is hold guide button, then 1 press. PS5 is more button presses. Just a super basic, unthreatening observation unless of course any criticism of Sony is a dire threat to your whole identity.

Last edited:

GHG

And than you go from being helpful to being the rude GHG that we all know.

That's not rude, it was a very matter-of-fact summary of your OP.

On reflection, I regret being helpful.

If you actually have both systems its actually a pretty common complaint. It's commenting on the system UI. That's perhaps a little too highbrow for you I guess? A common way to grade UI for basic functions like power off is how many presses it takes, since it's repeated a lot. Xbox is hold guide button, then 1 press. PS5 is more button presses. Just a super basic, unthreatening observation unless of course any criticism of Sony is a dire threat to your whole identity.

If this thread was titled "xbox vs PS5 - my assessment", which is what it should have been, then it would have been locked an rightly so.

The OP didn't read like someone in sincere need of help/assistance so people have taken to mocking them instead. Honestly I don't know how any rational person could expect a different outcome.

Begin as you mean to go on.

Last edited:

JTCx

Don't wanna ruin those soft hands pressing too many buttons.

twilo99

Had no idea how good this is until I got an xss... I really want it on my PC and I hope they can port it to Windows eventually

BrunoCoel

109393.jpg

giphy.gif
I simply love that the OP didn’t even bother to change their avatar so they could at least pretend they wrote a non-biased opinion.

This is cinema.

The PS5 UI is for the intellectually gifted while the Xbox UI is for potatoes

MarkMe2525

Not sure what your dissertation is complaining about, it plays most games at 60fps, has a lovely fast SSD, has a nice controller. The exclusives are pretty good but if they’re not for you then most of them come to PC anyway a year or two later.

If you’re not happy return it and get a refund and go and play your Series X?
He quite literally explained what he was complaining about. Why would you respond without reading past the thread title?

K' Dash

lol at all the plebs getting offended because OP said the Series X is superior in a lot of QoL stuff, of course it is, the thing is way ahead in user experience.

The problem here is that... it doesnt have games and most third party software runs better on PS5.

Xbox provides save states for 5 games at the same time, a controller that doesn't need to recharge every two hours, dolby vision, Freesync, real BC with enhancements and a lot more... most of these Sony could implement but they don't care to.

So yes, what OP says is true, ANYONE who has BOTH consoles knows this.

Winter John

Gold Member
I sold my PS5 just before Xmas. There wasn’t nothing wrong with it just that I got a pretty decent pc and it wasn’t getting much use. My kid didn’t want it so I sold it and put the money towards a Roland mc101. I figured I might as well get something I would get some use out of. I gotta say the exclusives were a real let down. I bought Demon Souls and that space metroid one. That was it. They were great but wtf, 2 launch games then nothing worth a fuck I couldn’t get on pc. I’m gonna be charitable and put the lack of anything worth buying down to the covid. Anyway I guess that’s it until the PS6

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Had no idea how good this is until I got an xss... I really want it on my PC and I hope they can port it to Windows eventually

Quick Resume is a godsend, my favorite feature of the new-gen, barring the native SSDs on both consoles, of course.

Doesn't work well for 'online' systems based games, but it feels fantastic getting back into a single player game in 5 seconds like an emulator save state and skip all the logo and loading bullshit.

Last edited:

Wizz-Art

I own both systems and the menu/interface is much snappier on Xbox.

I didn't find much difference in that regard, they both feel smooth to me.

But the people that were touting that the PS UI was way ahead of the Xbox's were absolutely not right. I keep asking this but nobody gives a plausible answer. If you could customize stuff on your home screen before on the PS4, why is that option taken away on the PS5? I'm interested in the reasoning behind it. Also if there was a quick and easy way to turn off the console on the PS4 with the controller, why is that gone?

Last edited:

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
For people claiming the DS battery sucks balls how long are you playing before it dies? I’ve played 5 hours straight without it dying so I’m curious how long you guys are getting out of it.
Wow 5 whole hours :pie_roffles: :pie_gsquint: :pie_roffles:

I get about 15 to 20 on rechargeable AAs on my Xbox.

Sushi_Combo

lol at all the plebs getting offended because OP said the Series X is superior in a lot of QoL stuff, of course it is, the thing is way ahead in user experience.

The problem here is that... it doesnt have games and most third party software runs better on PS5.

Xbox provides save states for 5 games at the same time, a controller that doesn't need to recharge every two hours, dolby vision, Freesync, real BC with enhancements and a lot more... most of these Sony could implement but they don't care to.

So yes, what OP says is true, ANYONE who has BOTH consoles knows this.
It's just missing compelling games for people to pay attention.

cash_longfellow

Gold Member
Wait a damn second, I didn’t even realize your avatar was an Xbox avatar…suddenly this thread makes all the sense (even though it doesn’t) 😂

AJUMP23

Gold Member
I have had mine for a week now and it is fine. Nothing amazing. Spidey has good graphics and gameplay is much of what was like the other 2 games so it is good. I prefer the Xbox controller. But it is a good system. I am glad I got the slim.

twilo99

I didn't find much difference in that regard, they both feel smooth to me.

But the people that were touting that the PS UI was way ahead of the Xbox's were absolutely not right. I keep asking this but nobody gives a plausible answer. If you could customize stuff on your home screen before on the PS4, why is that option taken away on the PS5? I'm interested in the reasoning behind it. Also if there was a quick and easy way to turn off the console on the PS4 with the controller, why is that gone?

Those are question only Sony engineers can answer.. all you gonna get here is guesswork at best

Shut0wen

Really liked both Ragnarok and Spidey 2. Returnal, Demon Souls and Rachet were also cool. And in days the GOAT of GOATS Remaster will be released: PART II. PS5 rules.
Demon souls is meh, didnt vibe with it like i did with the ps3 version, never been a fan of rachet (spyro was a better series) returnal was good though

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X

When I first heard about Quick Resume it sounded stupid and pretty useless to me. Now I can't imagine how I ever lived without it. It's one of the best new features of this gen.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
Probably depends on the game? Been pretty reliable for me, but even if doesn't work sometimes, you just use your normal save in that case and its good.. why did you turn it off?

Because it was just annoying seeing an error message every time I tried to resume. It happened far too often. I posted on this forum about it and got some tips, but nothing really fixed the issue. But yeah, just loaded up from normal save from then on and I was fine. It isn't a must have by any stretch.

Beechos

Probably depends on the game? Been pretty reliable for me, but even if doesn't work sometimes, you just use your normal save in that case and its good.. why did you turn it off?
Been really reliable for me too. Only time I have an issue with it is trying to quick resume online connected games since the server connection eventually times out or stopping my progress on one xbox and playing the same game on one of my other xbox in different room breaking its progress.

twilo99

Because it was just annoying seeing an error message every time I tried to resume. It happened far too often. I posted on this forum about it and got some tips, but nothing really fixed the issue. But yeah, just loaded up from normal save from then on and I was fine. It isn't a must have by any stretch.

I see, that sucks that it wasn't working for you, because when it does its pretty great.. like I was doing a Forza thing last week, had to stop and completely forgot about it, launched last night and it literally threw me back on track without any loading time or anything lol

Having that feature on my PC would be really nice, and I don't think there is any hardware requirements that prevents that from happening, and if there is, they can just do the same thing they did with direct storage and say whatever the requirement for it is,,

Been really reliable for me too. Only time I have an issue with it is trying to quick resume online connected games since the server connection eventually times out or stopping my progress on one xbox and playing the same game on one of my other xbox in different room breaking its progress.

Maybe it's gotten more reliable with software updates, etc. because it sounds like it hasn't been as good for some.

Last edited:

Mr.ODST

Seeing all the Sony fanboys in this forum crying and calling shill because someone prefers an Xbox and some people saying bad things about a PS5 😂

I had one external ssd issue with PS5 then it was fixed had mine over a year now, how quick does it deteriate?

Last edited:

Three

Seeing all the Sony fanboys in this forum crying and calling shill because someone prefers an Xbox and some people saying bad things about a PS5 😂

I had one external ssd issue with PS5 then it was fixed had mine over a year now, how quick does it deteriate?
Na, they're calling a spade a spade. I've had several run-ins with the posts this guy likes and posts. Check his updated avatar now too. He's just listing xbox differences and not listing much of the good things about the console. Comparing days gone to state of decay? Anyway some of the things he's complaining about can be remedied too. The control centre menu can be customised. Hit the PS button, when it opens hit the options button on the controller then move the shutdown menu to the first option on the left. There you go, fewer button presses to shut down. It's just lame console comparisons about xbox and xbox games being better rather than an honest review. I'm sure he would have been raving about how amazing "VRR" is too if he had the opportunity.

Last edited:

Loope

Looks like you are looking for issues and have a hard time switching environments.
Like moving from android to iPhone. It’s just different but because it’s different, it might seem worse at first…. And becomes 2nd nature after a while.

Edit: also fuck gamepass and waiting for games you want to play to be free. Buy games you want to play. That’s the only way to ensure more good games
I'll never understand this type of crap. I have an Android phone and an IPad, no issues whatsoever using both. Also only PC for work and gaming. That's 3 different environments.

If an old turd like me can do it, anyone can.

The only thing that i would not like about the PS5 would be the controller, i just can't seem to like them, but i would get used to it. First i need to buy a Switch for my son, then i'll buy a PS5 "slim" for myself. It's a good complement for my pc.

Wizz-Art

What exclusive to play next? I bought them all, they're sitting in the library (can't believe how happy I am to have that function back, thanks again cormack12 cormack12 for the suggestion to rebuild the database!) The games all seem to stare at me, you know like you're on a streaming service trying to find something to watch or in my case being in front of my Blu-ray and 4K UHD collection, and after awhile you nope out of it and go to sleep if it's night or do something else if it's in the evening.

I figured I go roughly in chronological order and play the oldest to the newest, makes the most sense.

So I tried the remastered Uncharted collection, as it's been ages since I played 1-3 on the PS3 and wanted to refresh my memory before I start the remaster of 4, but the 1st one is very rough and didn't age to well so I quit after the pirates attacking the boat and Sully came to your rescue with the waterplane and then the game drops you in the jungle together with Sully still a tutorial part I guess, but it was too ugly/smeary for me to continue.

How is Until Dawn? I actually didn't ever hear about the game, but it gets good reviews. Is it like those telltale games or more like Life is Strange or something completely else - I don't wanna watch videos as I hate spoilers?

Last edited:
Top Bottom