• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Machinarium sales post-mortem (over 4 million sold since 2009)

http://www.gamasutra.com/blogs/JakubDvorsky/20160714/277049/

And a cool tidbit from RPS:
We have word that Amanita’s next game will be designed by Jara Plachy, who created Botanicula!
https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2016/07/21/machinarium-has-sold-lots-and-lots-of-copies/

mach-v2.jpg

Ricky_R

That's great to know.

Machinarium was so awesome and unique. I had to use a walk-through for most puzzles though. :(

I bought this game on Steam even though I don't really like point-and-click games because I liked the aesthetic and I wanted to support the devs.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
I need to go back and beat this game. I got stuck on a puzzle and quite and I hate looking up the solutions. I will have to get back to it.

Haunted

Great to see that the PC ecosystem seems to be fairly diverse for them, between Humble, Steam and their own website that's three completely different approaches to selling a game and they all seem to have worked in their way.

Congrats to Aminata, this is probably one of my top 5 favourite games of all time.

To celebrate, let's all listen to the best track from the OST.
That is a remarkably good song.

One of the most memorable moments from the game: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHAEjRndMwg

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I guess it did pretty well on PS3/Vita? Like it sold 6 figures?

AdanVC

Congrats to the genius people from Amanita! One of the most charming and beautiful games I have ever played. Challenging as heck but so rewarding. I've never finish it don't remember on wich puzzle I got stuck. Need to replay it soon and finish it once and for all!

CHC

Such a nice little game. I remember this being one of the first high-profile, runaway indie successes. Certainly not THE first, but definitely in the first wave, something that helped show the potential of relatively untapped / dead / nostalgic genres back in 2009.

Jazzem

Well deserved, amazing game :) One of the most charming and accessible point and clicks I've played. Certainly possessing one of the more distinctive aesthetics too.

ocean

Banned
Mac Store 13% of sales, 26% of net revenue
Steam 26% of sales, 29% of net revenue
Humble Bundle 35% of sales, 7% of net revenue
Their Website 8% of sales, 27% of net revenue

It's crazy how freaking different the dynamics for the same product can be on different marketplaces, considering there's basically zero barriers forcing clients to use one or another.

It's been ages since I bought this in some bundle, but I never actually played it. I always got the feeling it was just another point-and-click game. What so special about it? Honest question, not trolling.

khaaan

Congrats, it was a neat little game. My first time playing it was on the Vita, it was probably one of the first games I got for the system too :)

That mandatory checkers/connect 4 puzzle thing can go to hell though.

Justinh

That mandatory checkers/connect 4 puzzle thing can go to hell though.
Yeah, everytime I get past that part, I feel like I just got lucky. I just can't figure out the best way to beat him (isn't it five?).

My favorite puzzles were the
pearls one connected to that guy's brain and the box-dot one in the arcade.

gdt

It's been ages since I bought this in some bundle, but I never actually played it. I always got the feeling it was just another point-and-click game. What so special about it? Honest question, not trolling.

It's hard and obtuse.

But it's beautiful, charming, and has an amazing OST.

jett

D-Member
Nice.

Machinarium is outstanding and deserves all the success it can get.

edit: It's interesting to look at their data and then Steamspy's. Steamspy is off by 300k, according to Amanita's own percentages. I guess that website isn't as accurate as some claim.

Lotto

Really great game, well deserved. Charming visual storytelling, interesting puzzles, and adore the soundtrack.

ethomaz

Banned
Huh? You found the last music puzzle easy? It was the most obtuse thing in the whole game. Maybe my lack of "musical education" background was a handicap.
I played a long time ago on PS3 but setting the radio to the frequency you found will play some tone notes... use these notes in the musical keyboard... just a matter of play the same sound... I guess I recorded the note on my phone and played it just fine in the keyboard.

I did not think you need "musical education" for that because you have only 5 tones/notes.

A fantastic, fantastic game. I have been playing point and click adventure games since early 90s (remember Universe? Beneath a Steel Sky? King's Quest? etc.) and Machinarium for me was a TERRIFIC game.

Also the first adventure game I've beaten along with my kid!

MACHINARIUM 2 PLS

Yeah, everytime I get past that part, I feel like I just got lucky. I just can't figure out the best way to beat him (isn't it five?).

My favorite puzzles were the
pearls one connected to that guy's brain and the box-dot one in the arcade.

Oooh... the "pearls" (beads?) puzzle was just NASTY. I spent like 2 hours doing them and finally got them but it was just... pure luck? I could never repeat the bazillion steps I performed. Hell, I could never revert to the original state (IIRC you could not revert). After 1 hour I was literally shuffling left & right hoping that I see some new way or approach that I didn't see before.

42.png

Fuck that. Toughest puzzle in the game!

The Tic Tac Toe was not that bad. There is a strategy for that IIRC because I repeated this a couple of times to see if there are different rewards.

I was thinking when I first saw it "huh, those PS3/Vita numbers mustn't be good" but I think it's ~ 280k? Would be fantastic numbers for anything else, just pales in comparison to what it did elsewhere.

Justinh

Oooh... the "pearls" (beads?) puzzle was just NASTY. I spent like 2 hours doing them and finally got them but it was just... pure luck? I could never repeat the bazillion steps I performed. Hell, I could never revert to the original state (IIRC you could not revert). After 1 hour I was literally shuffling left & right hoping that I see some new way or approach that I didn't see before.

Yeah, I love that puzzle. It's because everytime I play it I have to really figure out what I'm doing with it. Same with the other one I mentioned, although a little less so.

khaaan

I don't remember what the exact number was, buy you're right that it wasn't four.

I was thinking when I first saw it "huh, those PS3/Vita numbers mustn't be good" but I think it's ~ 280k? Would be fantastic numbers for anything else, just pales in comparison to what it did elsewhere.

The game was a PS+ title at one point so it's possible that helped bolster the numbers. Then again it says "sold" so who knows?

ReyVGM

Kept waiting for the Wii version that never came. I would have loved a WiiU version with tablet implementation.

SOME-MIST

good for amanita design. love their games.

samorost 3 is still my GOTY for this year and my favorite game of theirs. I would love a machinarium 2 but I'd almost rather them focus on samorost 4 first :)

Landford

Banned
I think i never felt such a happy, warm feeling in a game than when I played Botanicula. These people at Amanita are something else.

Really surprised to see the Mac App Store and their own website each make up over a quarter of their revenue. Even if taking into account promotion they may have received from the Mac App store, I've gotten the impression that it's very hard to sell many copies of an app/game on that storefront. Each of those storefronts are very nearly on par with their Steam revenue.

That's a total anomaly, right?

Top Bottom