• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Shinobido 2 (Vita) - A Ninja Simulator from the makers of Tenchu 1 and 2

ScOULaris

af74acea828ca5db96d2228d05d001b7.jpg
b96ad5acc9d818886578e95953c5bc38.jpg

First thing's first: check out this video to see how the game plays.

I recently picked up a physical copy of Shinobido 2: Revenge of Zen (because the digital version has sadly been de-listed from the PSN Store), and man am I happy with this game. I came upon the impetus to go out and buy it after seeing it mentioned in a Vita recommendations thread here on GAF last week. After doing a little research and seeing that it was developed by Acquire, the original Tenchu devs, I decided that it had been too long since I'd sprinted along rooftops and silently dispatched corrupt samurai.

I had always wanted to play the original Shinobido on PS2 way back when it first released, but it never came over to the States and I had no easy means of playing imported PS2 games at the time. So I would watch the scant few YouTube videos that I could find back then and wonder if and when I'd ever be able to get my hands on this spiritual successor to the original Tenchu games. Thanks to some fortuitous twist of fate, Bandai Namco decided to localize the Vita sequel and bring it Stateside.

And you know what? This is better than Tenchu ever was.

Let me sell the game to you this way: it's a ninja simulator in the vein as the older Tenchu games, only with the supernatural elements/enemies removed, much more fluid controls, and an engaging Way of the Samurai-esque story progression system that rewards multiple playthroughs. Oh, and throw in a pretty in-depth alchemy system for crafting all sorts of ninja tools to help you on your missions. Exploding sushi is a favorite of mine.

Actually, it's probably better for me to just quote the post that ultimately convinced me to pick up the game. Terra_Ex does a fantastic job selling the original game's strengths, and the sequel enhances and expands upon pretty much all of them.

Can't comment on Shinobido 2 since sadly it was Vita only, but since you said series, I can give a run down on the first game.

For me, the first game was superior to Tenchu, if you can imagine blending Way of the Samurai's staple features with Tenchu's ninja formula and you basically get Shinobido. To progress the story you have to do a certain amount of missions for one of three factions, only each of these factions has sort of an approval bar toward the player - do more missions for a faction, they'll like you more, offer more money, better jobs, easier access to their homebase, etc. On the flipside, if you're witnessed working against a given lord, that lord isn't going to be too happy with you and there will be consequences in the form of reprisals and refusal to offer you missions. The ultimate goal of the game is to have one of these factions take power, although without spoling anything, I'll simply say there are other possible endings available.

For a given mission (which come in many varities), in addition to the enemy faction that you'll be working against, there *may* be a enemy ninja faction (1 of 3) that is hired on to help protect your enemies (this only happens after a certain story event and is meant to mix things up by way of random modifiers) - this means more, tougher enemies, who will call for help and will likewise bear grudges. To further mix it up, the ninja faction leaders may or may not be present on a given mission and their presence can seriously impede your plans. If anyone spots you on a mission and lives to tell the tale, that faction's lord will hear about it and will obviously distrust you. Keep on down that road and they may attack your hideout and stop offering you the better missions, so managing witnesses is important. In essence you get a sort of emergent narrative quality to the game that runs concurrent with the main thread, it's pretty neat, especially given that if you're skilled enough (don't get spotted) you can work against a faction and they'll never know it was you, this can lead to some really satisfying double crossing and let's say may lead to interesting story developments.

Gameplay and mechanics wise, again it's superior to Tenchu, the running felt more fluid and ninja-like, the levels are more open giving your grapple genuine use. The combat and assassinations are satisfying, even moreso as new enemy types get added to the mix and you have to adapt your strategy prior to and during a mission. Imagine your mission is to intercept say a convoy of grain and the proverbial fly in the ointment is the opposing faction has hired a ninja faction to stop you. There's nothing more satisfying that dropping some mines and bombs along the faction's route to tip the odds in your favour when it's time to strike. On that subject, you have a neat alchemy system that you can exploit at your hideout to make your own custom potions and bombs (it can kind of be broken in a similar way to say Oblivion's custom magic, but that's half the fun tbh) that can elicit a variety of effects in enemies. Oh yeah, your hideout is customisable too, so you can essentially rig the surrounding environment with traps (if you've ever played any of the Deception games, it has a passing similarity to that I suppose).

If you've played Way of the Samurai, Shinobido can be likened to being the ninja version of that, same developer and all. Like WotS, it's criminally unknown and underrated and its very difficult to succinctly capture everything that makes it such a great ninja game, so my best advice is to try it, there's a lot more depth and more going on in general in Shinobido compared to Tenchu that defies direct comparison imo, but Shinobido is a game I returned to many times over, the Tenchu's not so much.

So I finished my first playthrough on Normal the other night, and now I'm in the midst of another Normal playthrough in New Game + to try and unlock as many costumes as I can while also leveling up both Zen and Kaede for when I do my next NG+ run on Hard mode. Being able to quickly replay through the game and taking different branching story paths dependent on my decisions along the way reminds me of when I played the first Way of the Samurai, and I love that. This really is like the ninja version of that game.

I will not rest until I've maxed out my ninja stats and have unlocked all of the costumes that I like.

ScOULaris

I should have bought this game when I had the chance. Nowadays it's quite hard to find, even used.

I got it at GameStop used for $9. They should sell it for the same price online and in their stores. It's definitely the easiest and cheapest way to get the game now.

Spwn

It's been a few years since I played it, but I remember I finished it once and enjoyed it. Sorta cheated in a couple of bosses by luring them near a well and pushing them in. That was great.

Like Tenchu, it takes some time to learn, but when you learn how to avoid the line of sight of the enemies, it becomes awesome. The AI is pretty abysmal, though.

Tain

I've been singing praises for the original Shinobido for most of the past decade. It's a wonderful game. The sequel is better in most ways, but it's missing the goofy garden invasion stages and the level editor.

Alric

Great game that I still go back to every once in a while to get that tenchu itch. Shame they took the DLC off the PSN store. I never picked it up, it probably wasn't even that good but it still sucks to not be able to get it anymore.

ScOULaris

I've been singing praises for the original Shinobido for most of the past decade. It's a wonderful game. The sequel is better in most ways, but it's missing the goofy garden invasion stages and the level editor.

Yeah, I do wish that it had the garden customization/defense stuff from the original. That looked like fun.

I might have to pursue an emulation option if I want to be able to play the first game. For one thing, I like Goh as a character more than Zen. The Goh costume is what I'm dead set on unlocking right now in Shinobido 2. I like the all-black look on my ninjas. Then I'll try to complete hard mode in order to unlock the black Zen outfits as well.

CHC

Oh yeah, nice to hear some in-depth, positive impressions of this game. I was curious about it years ago, but have long since forgotten. I think I might pick it up. Tenchu was so damn good - really a nostalgic series for me - and I miss that style of gameplay, and the weird dark world and soundscape.

Hell, I really miss anything set in feudal Japan. I don't know why its such an underutilized setting nowadays...

ScOULaris

Oh yeah, nice to hear some in-depth, positive impressions of this game. I was curious about it years ago, but have long since forgotten. I think I might pick it up. Tenchu was so damn good - really a nostalgic series for me - and I miss that style of gameplay, and the weird dark world and soundscape.

Hell, I really miss anything set in feudal Japan. I don't know why its such an underutilized setting nowadays...

GET IT. It's pretty much everything I ever wanted from a Tenchu game and more. I never much liked the demon/supernatural elements in the Tenchu games, as I much preferred stalking and assassinating humans in a feudal Japan setting.

Shinobido really nails almost every aspect of simulating the life of a ninja through the mythical lens. You're a killer for hire, taking on jobs from whichever Daimyo you see fit to best suit your desires, and in the wake of your decisions the civil war between the three main factions in the region will ebb and flow in the direction of your influence.

That's the best part, honestly. The game is so well suited to the handheld platform as well. You can hop in and do a few quick missions of your choosing, set up some alchemy stuff for tools to use later on, save, take a break, and then hop right back in later to run a few more. Playing through multiple times is encouraged as well since you will come across different missions every time depending on the choices that you make along the way. I'd wake up my Vita expecting to just do a couple of quick missions, and then before I'd know it an hour or two had passed. The game's great.

CHC

GET IT. It's pretty much everything I ever wanted from a Tenchu game and more. I never much liked the demon/supernatural elements in the Tenchu games, as I much preferred stalking and assassinating humans in a feudal Japan setting.

Shinobido really nails almost every aspect of simulating the life of a ninja through the mythical lens. You're a killer for hire, taking on jobs from whichever Daimyo you see fit to best suit your desires, and in the wake of your decisions the civil war between the three main factions in the region will ebb and flow in the direction of your influence.

That's the best part, honestly. The game is so well suited to the handheld platform as well. You can hop in and do a few quick missions of your choosing, set up some alchemy stuff for tools to use later on, save, take a break, and then hop right back in later to run a few more. Playing through multiple times is encouraged as well since you will come across different missions every time depending on the choices that you make along the way. I'd wake up my Vita expecting to just do a couple of quick missions, and then before I'd know it an hour or two had passed. The game's great.

Awesome, thanks for the write-up. I always felt that way about Tenchu also - hated the caves and forest - much preferred the early, geometric levels. The bread and butter of the game - stalking the rooftops and slicing throats.

Is the game physical only? Appears that way, no download option on PSN that I can see.

ScOULaris

Awesome, thanks for the write-up. I always felt that way about Tenchu also - hated the caves and forest - much preferred the early, geometric levels. The bread and butter of the game - stalking the rooftops and slicing throats.

Is the game physical only? Appears that way, no download option on PSN that I can see.

The game was de-listed from the PSN Store earlier this year without warning when I guess Namco Bandai's publishing rights for the game expired. It's a shame, but all the more reason to track down a used copy of the game ASAP before it becomes harder to find and more expensive.

I really enjoyed it

I know that review score at the end doesn't tie up with that first sentence exactly, but it was just my kind of game. My favourite thing about it was the sandbox levels, they were just a joy to faff around in and explore, and it was super fun to play with the AI leaving traps and stuff.

Not everything about it is perfect, but it's a damn fun time. Really wish Acquire would make another one.

CHC

The game was de-listed from the PSN Store earlier this year without warning when I guess Namco Bandai's publishing rights for the game expired. It's a shame, but all the more reason to track down a used copy of the game ASAP before it becomes harder to find and more expensive.

Ah that's shitty, I swear I could have seen it before (I guess I did).

Still though 9 bucks at Gamestop sounds about right.

ScOULaris

Another thing of note is how much you can do with the alchemy system once you understand how it works. During my first playthrough I didn't fully grasp all of the alchemy stuff, but now that I do I'm crafting some hilariously powerful tools. This time around I'm gonna go into boss fights with some overpowered stuff to hopefully make quick work of them.

Lolacious

Neo Member
This was my first Vita game and i must say at first i was a bit let down because some of the maps were re-used, and some missions felt recycled aswell, but few hours into the game and that Tenchu feeling struck me, i played that game non stop until i got the platinum.

This game is great and absolute must buy if you're a tenchu fan.

ScOULaris

This was my first Vita game and i must say at first i was a bit let down because some of the maps were re-used, and some missions felt recycled aswell, but few hours into the game and that Tenchu feeling struck me, i played that game non stop until i got the platinum.

This game is great and absolute must buy if you're a tenchu fan.
I just hope that we eventually get a sequel. I don't care what system it's on as long as it gets a Western release. Does anyone have sales figures on this game? The series must be reasonably successful for Acquire to have made three games across three different platforms.

ScOULaris

I love the Tenchu series and this is the first I've heard of this game. Why are the reviews for this so low?
Because it's an Acquire game, so it's a little janky and lacking the visual fidelity of its contemporaries. But don't let the reviews fool you. Much like the original Way of the Samurai, the game is a cult classic and a must-play for Tenchu fans.

And honestly, a lot of that jank goes away once you become comfortable with the controls. You'll be speeding along rooftops and stringing together stealth kills in stylish fashion in no time once you've gotten the hang of things. It's much more fluid than the Tenchu games.

SomTervo

I need to boot it up again - but honestly I didn't enjoy what I played that much. Got through about four levels. It was like a jankier, bigger Tenchu with more fiddly controls and level design.

Still dug it to some extent though.

Anyone know of a way to get the delisted DLC, Mirror Spirits? Have heard mixed impressions but don't really care, just want a chance to see the content.

ScOULaris

I need to boot it up again - but honestly I didn't enjoy what I played that much. Got through about four levels. It was like a jankier, bigger Tenchu with more fiddly controls and level design.

Still dug it to some extent though.
I'd suggest you try it again. The game starts off a little simple and repetitive, but it really opens up in terms of complexity, variety, and challenge as you progress further into the game. It's also very replayable.

Watch the video that I linked in the OP for some examples the cool shit you're capable of doing once you've unlocked more abilities in the game and have mastered the controls.

Zambatoh

This was my first Vita game and if memory serves, it's probably still the only Platinum I earned on it.

...I've probably spent more hours then I should've on it. There's just something strangely addicting about throwing random shit into an alchemy pot to brew up some unhealthy and ungodly amounts drugs.

ScOULaris

This was my first Vita game and if memory serves, it's probably still the only Platinum I earned on it.

...I've probably spent more hours then I should've on it. There's just something strangely addicting about throwing random shit into an alchemy pot to brew up some unhealthy and ungodly amounts drugs.

I'm just now starting to grasp how to use the alchemy system properly (e.g. adding to pots over time without completely emptying them, realizing that the expansion ability applies to items used after applying the expansion trait to yourself with a flask or whatever... etc.)

Do you remember any particularly useful alchemy combinations? I've read about people leveling up explosive pellets to 999 or whatever, but I feel like there are some cooler examples that I haven't seen or thought of yet.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
I actually keep forgetting I have this game. I bought the physical version a few months back, right after the digital one was de-listed. I got it for cheap on Amazon, but I have yet to actually play it. I remember playing the demo of it back when the Vita launched, and I really liked it, but I'll get to it eventually. I loved Tenchu, and yeah, the bit I played reminded me so much of it. I'm very glad I snagged a physical version to get to once I clear some more of my backlog.

EDIT: I also love the Way of the Samurai games. Oh, man, this is really making me want to stop my current playthrough of Stein's Gate and Legends of Heroes: Trails in the Sky to play this, but no, I must complete these games first!!

IvorB

This sounds really cool and I'm looking for a new Vita game. Why was it delisted from PSN though? Why does Sony hate Vita owners so much?

This sounds really cool and I'm looking for a new Vita game. Why was it delisted from PSN though? Why does Sony hate Vita owners so much?

"Delisting" is a pretty standard thing for digital content that is localized and published by an entity other than the original publisher/rights-holder.

It was published by Spike Co. in Japan and Namco Bandai picked up the rights for NA and EU localization. NB's publishing agreement must have expired, therefore the the digital version was removed from PSN.

ScOULaris

I think it just had something to do with Bandai Namco's distribution rights for the game expiring after four years, and I guess they just decided not to renew it. I'd rather have a digital copy, but the used cartridge that I ended up getting won't be leaving my Vita anytime soon.

Checked online and a Gamestop two miles away from me had it. I've always wanted this game to feed my Tenchu fix, but just never picked it up. Thanks for throwing me over the edge finally!

ScOULaris

Just reserved the sole used copy at my local Gamestop. I'll pick it up as soon they confirm they have it for me.

Checked online and a Gamestop two miles away from me had it. I've always wanted this game to feed my Tenchu fix, but just never picked it up. Thanks for throwing me over the edge finally!

giphy.gif

Just a shame that we can't buy this game digitally to give Acquire/Bandai Namco money/incentive to make another sequel. At least I've read that the game is relatively popular in Japan, so there's hope.

Tizoc

I sadly found the game vwery repetitive after getting far into the game...or was it halfway through? Such that I traded off my copy of the game :X
Glad to see more people like it though.
Maybe I should check out Shinobido 1.

ScOULaris

I sadly found the game vwery repetitive after getting far into the game...or was it halfway through? Such that I traded off my copy of the game :X
Glad to see more people like it though.
Maybe I should check out Shinobido 1.

I plan on checking out the first game via emulation sometime this week. While the Vita sequel looks to be superior in most ways, I do like the look of the garden defense stuff from the original game. That and Goh the Raven is a badass character design; I prefer him over Zen.

Oh, and Goh's aerial stealth kill animation >>> Zen's in Shinobido 2. That upside-down, airborne neck-snap is pretty slick.

Zambatoh

I'm just now starting to grasp how to use the alchemy system properly (e.g. adding to pots over time without completely emptying them, realizing that the expansion ability applies to items used after applying the expansion trait to yourself with a flask or whatever... etc.)

Do you remember any particularly useful alchemy combinations? I've read about people leveling up explosive pellets to 999 or whatever, but I feel like there are some cooler examples that I haven't seen or thought of yet.

It's been a few years since I played it, so I don't really remember too much about it. But I don't recall alchemy being especially complicated.

I do recall there being certain items you can find out in the field that can function as a sort of multiplyer when thrown into the pot. Which makes it easier to reach +999 on your items.

ScOULaris

I have a region free PS2. Is the first game import friendly?

Yeah, you should be fine getting the PAL version if you want the English dub. I'm not sure about 50hz though. If that's a concern then I think the Asian release is 60hz NTSC-J with English subtitles.

Better than Tenchu? You crazy bastard.
Definitely. While I loved Tenchu 1-3, I was never crazy about the demonic/supernatural elements. I had more fun cutting down samurai in the earlier levels of the old Tenchu games, and the Shinobido series focuses on the more grounded settings and enemies of feudal Japan.

Not only that, but it also controls a million times better than Tenchu ever did, and the open-ended mission structure, branching storyline, and alchemy system all elevate the game above its spiritual predecessor as well.

ScOULaris

Man, I've gotta get through this second normal Playthrough so I can unlock some of the dark skins. I like my ninjas in black, so I'm not really a fan of Zen's default colorful garb. I've especially got my eye on that super rare Goh skin (the character from the first game).

2012-07-08-154259.jpg
2012-07-08-154123.jpg
2012-07-08-130640.jpg

2012-07-08-155211.jpg
2012-07-12-213724.jpg

Top Bottom