• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summit1G swatted while streaming Pokemon Go in a park

Tecnniqe

Banned
I don't think we should give attention to it as that is just what the asshole wants.

He gave him some ID if i heard right and said the call was BS and they left.

styl3s

How are people still doing this shit
This is my question every time i hear about this.

Do they not go after and prosecute the people who do this? Seems like something someone should go to jail for a pretty lengthy time for.

Tecnniqe

Banned

Do they not go after and prosecute the people who do this? Seems like something someone should go to jail for a pretty lengthy time for.

They do when they can. If they find you you're fucked but usually they use VPNs and whatnot and call via IP which makes it hard if not impossible to figure out.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Yeah, I was watching the stream while this happened. Someone donated to his stream and said something like "watch this stream in 5 minutes" and then a bunch of cops rolled up since he called in saying people in the park had AKs.

Hopefully they find the idiot who did it, as usual this accomplishes nothing but wasting people's time and resources. So fucking dumb.

Someday somebodies going to get killed from this stupid crap. I sure hope they can track who put the call in and lock them up.

soultron

Banned
I feel like going outside to stream probably paints a target on your back for someone wanting to swat you, especially if you're high profile like S1G. Not blaming him at all, I'm just not surprised that his happened to someone playing Pokemon GO.

I hear some people will spoof their phone number so they can't be tracked. How they do it, I have no idea. I have seen a case where a kid was caught and sent to juvie for a long time, wish I could remember the article but it was some time ago, so some police stations do try and find who made the malicious call.

What's sad is that some streamers have gotten so many calls to their house that the station had agreed to call them first to make sure it's not just another swatting attempt

siddhu33

They better find whoever did this and throw them under the jail, this is ridiculous. Imagine what happens if someone swats a minority in public like that, they'd probably have a murder on their hands...

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I continue to be bewildered at the use of fully armed American SWAT teams for taunts and pranks.

What the fuck.

It should be a massively fine-able offence to do so. The problem is actually catching those people. There's a lot of protections in place we genuinely need, but at the same time it enables this ass hattery.

Pokemon shows a map of where the player is... so if they know the general area where he lives, it's somewhat easy to find out where he is that way

as soon as he touches a pokestop you know exactly where he is.
not that it would be hard to figure out anyway just based on what you see in the stream.

Downside of using Twitch's clip service versus third-party, the second clip was taken down.

Glad he's okay though. Was watching him play the other day and out of all the other Pokemon Go streamers, he seemed to be the most tolerable in the public. All the others behaved the same way they do when they livestream from inside their homes, and it was really awkward to watch.

Edit: Oh, it's all over YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PLGk7Jdg3c

Chiramii

How many viewers did he have? Did he give away his location?
~20k before the incident, ~33k shortly after. And yes, he did share his location so viewers could help him out via pokevision. Summit is a great guy and I really looked forward to watch his stream today. But hey, some people are assholes, nothing new really.

Pokemon shows a map of where the player is... so if they know the general area where he lives, it's somewhat easy to find out where he is that way

i just went to see the pogo stream with the highest view count on twitch and i figured out the guys exact location in less than 10 seconds.

Dude flashing his white privilege all over the beginning of that video lol

"Just do what the cops tell you, if you do that you're not gonna have any issues bro, straight up"

later...

..."well, maybe we are gonna have guns pointed at us."

I continue to be bewildered at the use of fully armed American SWAT teams for taunts and pranks.

What the fuck.

Oh yes we should totally have reached boy cried wolf stage already. Let the police just decide what they should and shouldn't take seriously arbitrarily that will work out great.

I'm on the side where maybe this shouldn't be a place for the discussion of this. Really don't want to encourage more of this crap... It really ruins the fun of the community.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™

The map isn't that detailed. Not a good idea informing anyone where you live. Too many shitheads on the internet looking to harm others.

What the fuck.

Well if there really was a guy walking around with an AK at a park, who would you want to show up? They don't know it's a prank, and they have to react right away. Common sense.

Guys I don't think EatChildren is mad that SWAT shows up, he's bewildered that kids apparently find it funny or a good idea to sic them on people as a "prank."

Like, this is a long way away from putting saran wrap on a toilet seat or tying a dude's shoelaces together.

Surely, there has to be a simple method of tracing these calls, right? At some point, someone has to do something. Idiots keep doing this because they're getting away with it scot-free.

Well if there really was a guy walking around with an AK at a park, who would you want to show up? They don't know it's a prank, and they have to react right away. Common sense.

I think what he means is that he can't believe jerks on the internet are using armed SWAT for as a tool to pull off dumb pranks.

Damn, that sucks for Summit. Glad to find out that he's okay. Being swatted is not fun nor funny and if people do think it is, they can gladly fuck off.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
How are they supposed to know it's a prank?

Oh yes we should totally have reached boy cried wolf stage already. Let the police just decide what they should and shouldn't take seriously arbitrarily that will work out great.

I was referring to the people making the false call ya bellends.

People who instigate SWAT-ing should be charged for attempted murder. Not even exaggerating.

They really should ask for the person's info, record the phone number (if they used a cell), or do something to figure out where they called for. This is getting ridiculous and swatters need to be held accountable

People who instigate SWAT-ing should be charged for attempted murder. Not even exaggerating.
That's a good way to make sure any stricter legislation regulating this stuff never gets passed.
They really should ask for the person's info, record the phone number (if they used a cell), or do something to figure out where they called for. This is getting ridiculous and swatters need to be held accountable
Yeah, losing anonymity for someone reporting an actual crime isn't a good thing.

That dickheads still do this isn't surprising to me. However, I do find it surprising that SWAT teams don't get a check on the situation - to make sure it's as legit a claim as possible - without first fully descending on the target.

That dickheads still do this isn't surprising to me. However, I do find it surprising that SWAT teams don't get a check on the situation - to make sure it's as legit a claim as possible - without first fully descending on the target.

As has been stated, the caller ID and location is usually obscured and the call is either a threat to kill someone or warning of a terrorist attack. Police can't ignore either of those. Without widespread real-time surveillance available to local PDs, it's not really feasible.

Top Bottom