• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Slain! got it's 2.0 update today and it's actually pretty good now.

Corpekata

Banned
So, if you don't remember Slain!, it's the cool looking heavy metal inspired hack and slash side scroller that launched really roughly. It was buggy, combat felt bad, the saving was awkward, and there was basically no ending / final boss.

8iNVoJj.gif

Anyways, nearly everything has been addressed. Enemies react to being hit now rather than just mindlessly walking forward all the time. There's counter and charge attacks that feel great and address the lack of impact the game had. Levels have been reworked for greater enemy variety and more sane checkpoints, and checkpoints now act as save points so you aren't forced to complete an entire level to save. There's been a few bosses added, including the final one. There's been a ton of minor things added too like CRT scanline options and most of the dialogue has been tweaked (on first release it had weird modern text like THX instead of thanks which did not fit the setting at all)

Here's a full list of changes

New trailer about the patch

It's not exactly perfect still, the basic combo still feels a little boring to use, but overall it is in a MUCH better state now and worth a look.

Note that in order to promote the relaunch, the devs have opted to give previous owners a gift copy of the game to give out. However, try to refrain from drowning this thread in requests.

~Kinggi~

Banned
I backed this and never even attempted to play the initial release cause of the bad impressions. I figured id wait for patches since they said they would do that. Hopefully if its good it can get some sales. It certainly looks and sounded good in videos.

Aeana

I was really excited about the game but on launch day, everybody told me it was crappy, so I didn't buy it. I hope it really is good now.

-MD-

Interested to hear how it turned out, like many others I was interested before all the negative feedback came out of the launch period.

@MUWANdo

Banned
Okay, so, this is a personal and somewhat complex web of nonsense involving a highly unstable individual I was friends and briefly FWBs with, but I can only assume there will be a never-ending clusterfuck on gaf now until the end of time, which inevitably involves you guys and gals on the mod team in some way, so I'm an open book here. The woman in question ended up being completely psychotic and held a grudge against me after a bizarre love triangle situation developed a few years ago between me, her, and another girl (the other girl I ended up in a long-term relationship with shortly thereafter). This NOLA story she apparently just put up on social media is a delusion of a deeply disturbed person who had a total psychological breakdown as a result of me and the other girl getting together, because she (phew, yeah...) became obsessively infatuated with the other girl (she's bi) on sight when the three of us met up. I wanted to just stay friends with the girl making the accusation and made it super super clear ahead of time that me and the other girl were interested in each other romantically and that could play out as such when we met up. Supposedly this was not a problem for her from accusation, but in reality she uhhh wanted me to die painfully after seeing me and the other girl interact. Plus she became infatuated with the other girl simultaneously to this (she's bi), which created the aforementioned bizarre love triangle that ended up causing her to implode and have an apparently very intense and long-lasting grudge. The whole story about how that love triangle thing played out is, frankly, nuts and scary, and involves this girl bringing us to a compound of dangerous scientology spinoff cultists on that same trip, who roofied us, attempted to recruit/scam me and attempted to abduct/rape the girl I ended up dating, in what was a fucking scary situation that resulted in me and the other girl and the rest of my friend circle never speaking to this girl from the accusation again.

therapist

I was really excited about the game but on launch day, everybody told me it was crappy, so I didn't buy it. I hope it really is good now.

ya same boat

is it worth the full asking price on steam now?
I think ill bite the bullet and just refund if i dont like it ,steam refunds are great

Boney

Banned
It's great to hear that the team went back to the drawing board with the criticism and apparently managed to address them well enough. They probably needed to get something out to get some cash flow but I'm glad that instead of abandoning it and focusing on the next project they're interested in their image and brand and are working on this.

How much is it right now? I just got a PC and I'm a sucker for 2d action games

kinggroin

Banned
The developer gave anyone who bought this already, a free copy to give away to a friend. Check your steam inventory.

:)

Game has gone from shitastic gameplay to competent now. The visuals and audio elevate the whole package that's it's definitely worth playing through.

Corpekata

Banned
The initial release was so awful that I don't trust the developers to even know how to fix it, let alone actually do it, but I hope people are satisfied by their revisions.

From what I understand it's actually almost an entirely new dev team. The lead artist stayed the same but they brought in outside help for the programming and I don't think Wolf Brew (the original devs) did much work on the overhaul.

At least according to this post: http://steamcommunity.com/games/369070/announcements/detail/883081388676190465

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Fixing it up and giving a free copy to give away seems like a nice gesture to make up for such a crappy launch version.

i'll take a free copy. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Very interested to hear new impressions from everyone as I skipped this at launch due to the myriad of issues. Btw, did this ever get a console release?

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
Had a HUGE blast with the original release, can't wait to re-play. Put like half an hour into the new version, and it is terribly legit. You guys should play.

I feel like this is going to launch my "Fall of 2D".

I just beat the game like a day before the patch. Even then it was great. The original ending was very stupid, but it was stupid in the way it needed to be. It made some sort of crazy sense just like the rest of the story.

Nabs

I played 30 or so minutes of the new build and it's a massive improvement. I'm glad they were able to save the game. Now lets see if sales can pick up.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Played 30 minutes and cleared the first stage. The combat feels right and the enemies react as they should. The level design at the moment seems alright and the platforming at the moment hasnt been hard or unforgiving which I bet will get harder as the game progresses but the game overall so far feels pretty solid. The visuals of the game are pretty damn awesome and the OST from what I could hear is pretty kickass. It's good to see the developers go the extra mile to reach their vision. I like it so far and the difficulty so far seems fair and not really unforgiving so we shall see how the game keeps going forward but so far enjoying it a lot.

Is this on steam? Might bite.

You can get a key on humblebundle which is on sale for 7.79 and redeem it on steam and you should get an extra copy to give to a friend or a gaffer if you like.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.

same boat. BTW is this game just a hack and slash or like castlevania?

Galang

Banned
Ohhh i may give this a chance now. Waiting for more impressions. Kudos to them for overhauling the game

Beat the first level, enjoyed it. All of the complaints that I saw at it's launch seem to be fixed.

Combat is fun and makes sense, you can play fairly aggressively once you learn the enemies. Good mix of cannon fodder and tougher enemies you need to respect and counter attack. Only thing I want is an air parry, but to be honest its not really necessary so far, would simply be a nice feature.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Add me to the list of beggers, would love a spare key if there's one floating about.

Crzy1

Bought it at launch, didn't enjoy it much, I'll give it another go soon I suppose. Really wanted to like it, so here's hoping I like the changes.

Edit: Haven't seen a code pop up in my inventory yet.

I love these kinds of gams, if anyone has a free code I can trade you a key of many steam games I don't need (lots of capcom). I put up a big list in the trade, sell thread, check it out and if you want to trade pm me.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Played 30 minutes and cleared the first stage. The combat feels right and the enemies react as they should. The level design at the moment seems alright and the platforming at the moment hasnt been hard or unforgiving which I bet will get harder as the game progresses but the game overall so far feels pretty solid. The visuals of the game are pretty damn awesome and the OST from what I could hear is pretty kickass. It's good to see the developers go the extra mile to reach their vision. I like it so far and the difficulty so far seems fair and not really unforgiving so we shall see how the game keeps going forward but so far enjoying it a lot.

You can get a key on humblebundle which is on sale for 7.79 and redeem it on steam and you should get an extra copy to give to a friend or a gaffer if you like.

so let get this straight if i buy this on humblebundle i get an extra copy?

Thanks! I downloaded it via humble bundle. But I don't see any extra codes?

i think its in the steam email.

Someone just gifted it to me earlier today.
I initially blew it off when I saw reviews, but I checked the reviews again after receiving the gift, and heard about this new update.

Sounds sweet. Looking forward to playing it. Great of them to hand out extra copies!

Vazra

Thanks! I downloaded it via humble bundle. But I don't see any extra codes?

When you receive your key and redeem it on steam you should get a copy in your inventory. I dont know if they changed it but me and a few other gaffers got an extra key on inventory.

Vazra

Can the steam gift be turned into a key?
Send yourself an email and copy what I have marked with red. You can delete the question mark and everything else after the question mark and then link that to whoever you want. Obviously I blacked out part cause I didnt wanted people to try redeeming the copy Im giving away on SteamGAF lol.
2365490b8c.png

~Kinggi~

Banned
Send yourself an email and copy what I have marked with red. You can delete the question mark and everything else after the question mark and then link that to whoever you want. Obviously I blacked out part cause I didnt wanted people to try redeeming the copy Im giving away on SteamGAF lol.
2365490b8c.png

Ok thanks.

Vazra

checking steamspy it's only sold around 7700 copies. The hell I thought this game would have been way more popular.

Well the negative impressions from launch probably had to do with it. Hopefully the game sales improve now that the game has been tweaked and now is way much better than the original product. The team behind the game really seems into doing the best they can with the game even after launch and seem to be pretty down to earth accepting the criticism from launch and improving the game which I think that is something commendable since there is some developers that may get discouraged and give up or simply not take the criticism and leave their game as it is.

Top Bottom