• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN - 8 Gorgeous Photos of Final Fantasy XV’s Characters

Koozek

Square Enix has provided IGN with eight gorgeous, high-res looks at the game’s main cast, as well as commentary from Art Director Yusuke Naora.​

Check the link for the rest of Naora's commentary:
http://www.ign.com/articles/2016/08/06/8-gorgeous-photos-of-final-fantasy-xvas-characters

***EDIT: Before anyone wonders about the image quality, I tried grabbing the highest-res images from the IGN article by changing the URL, but I couldn't find anything better than these compressed ones. Thing is, IGN only shows them in mid-size in their photo gallery, so I guess they didn't intend them to be blown up this much.***

noctisjpg-a2d80e.jpg

Yusuke Naora:
"In order to create that reality baseline that blended into our real world, I first enhanced Noctis’ skin texture even further to make it several levels more realistic. This did not stop at just the depictions of subtle blotches and birth marks, but also involved the use of “screen space” technology to depict the texture of the skin and the subcutaneous light penetration, etc., in order to make Noctis look like a real flesh and blood human being. For his hair design, because we made improvements in shadow expression, it ended up casting dark shadows on his face. I then adjusted the effects to make it harder for shadows to form over his hair. The image of Noctis and his comrades had already been revealed to the world, so we put in great effort to not alter the people’s impressions of the characters in a major way. For example, rather than going for reality, I treated their hair style features as symbols of the characters and chose not to make any adjustments."​

Poor Prompto not in the article, LOL, but here's his render from another source:

Golnei

I wasn't expecting the "sultry gaze" to be such an important design priority.

Cor continues to be doomed to obscurity.

DR2K

Banned
Everyone looks like they've partied too hard all weekend, but still have the Sunday party left.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
I wasn't expecting the "sultry gaze" to be such an important design priority.

Cor continues to be doomed to obscurity.

I wonder if he had a more important role originally but when they started changing the story they made him more of a background character. Remember, he used to be part of the CG artwork with the 4 guys.

The blonde guy pretty much signals that they've exhausted every anime hairdo combination possible. They just did all of them at once.
It's scraping the bottom of the barrel.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I wonder if he had a more important role originally but when they started changing the story they made him more of a background character. Remember, he used to be part of the CG artwork with the 4 guys.
I suspect he was supposed to be their in-and-out mentor character, but they opted for them to grow up on their own.

Uzukii

Banned
I wouldn't call any of those gorgeous. They're closer to ugly and disturbing. It's a shame there's only one female amongst them too. All that effort just to make some dudes look photo realistic.. -_-

Reminds me of the 'hair on the arm' trailer for Call of Duty Ghosts, or whatever the first CoD on current gen was.

Samimista

Yeah, she definitely looks different from the new render. Maybe it's because we only saw her in-game model since she was revealed in '14.

To be quite honest, I prefer Luna's new render. She looks prettier.

Do you have that Stella/Luna render from the 2013 E3 trailer?

Months ago on a different thread, I thought that render was actually the 2013 one with Luna's hair Photoshopped onto it.

Infest

They already hinted his removal from the CG group render in 2013 !
( ¬‿¬)
3262714-e3-2013-kojima-nomura.jpg

Zomba13

I think when you have these nice, high res renders you kind of don't want to smother them in horrible compression and shit. Kind of hard to see the "ultra-detail" under all those artifacts.

I think when you have these nice, high res renders you kind of don't want to smother them in horrible compression and shit. Kind of hard to see the "ultra-detail" under all those artifacts.

The problem is twofold. At the displayed 728x728 resolution they look...okay I guess. But then what's happened is someone...can't honestly say who...blew it up to 2048x2048 for no apparent reason. The other problem is the twitter feed calling them ultra-detailed, which at 728x728 is hyperbole but it looks super bad because of the images in the OP got blown up to the point where all the awful artifacting going on is eye-piercingly bad.

Koozek

I wouldn't call any of those gorgeous. They're closer to ugly and disturbing. It's a shame there's only one female amongst them too. All that effort just to make some dudes look photo realistic.. -_-

Reminds me of the 'hair on the arm' trailer for Call of Duty Ghosts, or whatever the first CoD on current gen was.

She's not the only female character if that's what you mean, or do you mean party member? Luna isn't even a main member. Not even sure if she's a guest character anymore. Last year they said you would join her at some point, then recently it was said that she won't fight with you, so maybe something changed.

But Gladio's sister is one of the guest characters that joins you for a while on your trip:
Hz2ydBU.jpg

007_thumb-1.jpg

Then there's Gentiana, Luna's mentor/guardian/"advisor"(?):
5Z390bT.png

raqll11.jpg

And Cindy, you car's mechanic:
ot0HRMf.jpg

Also Aenar- Anea-... Aranea "The Dragoon", an anatagonist you'll fight:
4Bq7bkg.jpg

tSSmvj3.jpg

And apparently there's also the Kingsglaive character Crowe in the game (according to IMDB, which at the same time months ago correctly leaked the new Weskham character from A King's Tale and FFXV):
QoEnFOj.jpg

------

Do you have that Stella/Luna render from the 2013 E3 trailer?
MxwUlly.png

Top Bottom