• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cities: Skylines Natural Disasters Expansion Announced

spiritfox

Announcement Trailer

https://www.paradoxplaza.com/cities-skylines-natural-disasters

Cities: Skylines Natural Disasters

Natural Disasters features a catalog of catastrophes to challenge mayor-players everywhere, including planning with early warning systems and emergency routes, devastating and destructive disaster effects, and caring for the populace as they struggle to rebuild. The expansion will also update Cities: Skylines with a new scenario editor and gameplay mode, allowing players to finally win – or lose – the game on their own terms.

Natural Disasters will include:

• Deep, Impactful Gameplay: Keep your city going through the devastation of several possible doomsday scenarios, from towering infernos to the day the sky exploded
  • With Great Power Comes Great Response Abilities: Plan for, and respond to, disasters using early warning systems, countermeasures, and new disaster responses such as helicopters and evacuations – finally, a Paradox game where “Comet Sighted” actually means something
  • Radio Saved the Video Game: Citizens can go Radio Ga-Ga with a new broadcast network, helping to rapidly spread evacuation warnings and emergency alerts – or simply relax to new in-game music stations
  • An Objectively Good Feature: Scenario Mode allows players to design custom game objectives, including custom starting cities, win conditions, time limits, and more – and share scenarios to Steam Workshop
  • Chirpocalypse Now: Heck yeah, new hats for Chirper

Natural Disasters will be available for Cities: Skylines players on Windows, Mac, and Linux PCs this winter.

I should probably give this game another go. It wouldn't be nearly as crashy.

On a side note, I think the next one of these as well as SimCity will have significant virtual reality features.

With Great Power Comes Great Response Abilities:

this makes me want a superhero mode. have to work with the superheroes to stop the villains destroying the city but the heroes cause collateral damage etc. etc.

lazygecko

I've actually pondered the idea of a post-apocalyptic city building game. Not sure if an expansion for Skylines can really take the concept all the way though.

Berto

finally, a Paradox game where “Comet Sighted” actually means something
I laughed :D

I'm not that into disasters and stuff, wish they improved on other areas, but i'm not complaining.

I'm interested in how they will expand disaster to fill a whole DLC. I'm kinda afraid because with Snowfall it wasn't as content heavy as I expected. Scenarios is really interesting.

Cities Skylines does so many things right, but fail in some important ones (for me). Like management being so unbalanced and not meaningful. I wonder how the scenarios will work with the game being so easy.

Seems like a cool DLC, but I only see Colossal Order doing a great game if they use their experience and make CS2 from the ground up.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
i'm not sure how i feel about this...i think i would have preferred another expansion about building your city rather than destroying it

Steejee

Interested in the scenarios/objectives. I really enjoyed Skylines, but at times I definitely felt like having the occasional not-self-imposed objective would be nice as a way to break up the sometimes repetitive building.

Berordn

i'm not sure how i feel about this...i think i would have preferred another expansion about building your city rather than destroying it
Honestly my main issue with the game so far is how little resistance the game gives to making your vision a reality. Disasters might be good for that.

We entered sim city 3000 level of done (and a little more that game never did). The game is nearly complete.

I love creating new scenarios for the community in SC3000

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
I was expecting Hurricane/Typhoons, not a comet.

spiritfox

Right now it's the only disaster they're showing. They're still working on the rest since they just came back from a vacation. Hurricanes seem like something possible to be done in the current game.

They are probably in. It says disasters there, not disaster.

Sim City had comet, tornado, earthquake, flying saucers, and giant robot.

Dont know if they are going to add the sci fi ctastrophes though.

Hopefully they happen randomly and not a button like Sim City 2013...

They could happen randomly in SimCity3000 and 4, 2013 is just a piece of shit lol
the radio thing and you having resources to stop them seems to indicate they are random.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
They are probably in. It says disasters there, not disaster.

Sim City had comet, tornado, earthquake, flying saucers, and giant robot.

Dont know if they are going to add the sci fi ctastrophes though.

Right, but when you say "Natural Disasters" I kinda expect natural disasters that happen frequently/often. Hurricanes, Tsunamis, Earthquakes, Wildfires. Not a rare (okay, not that rare but infrequent) comet crash as a natural disaster (even though it is "natural."). *shrug* Just disappointment based on the title.

I'm still hoping they do something to improve the underlying game, it eventually turning into nothing more than a traffic management "simulator" has been my biggest disappointment.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Honestly my main issue with the game so far is how little resistance the game gives to making your vision a reality. Disasters might be good for that.

personally i find the traffic management as the city grows to be more than enough complexity and challenge to act as an impediment. having a comet fall on something you've taken a long-ass time building doesn't strike me as fun, it seems more like a chore.

[edit] although if they add realistic fire spreading and management that would be nice

I'm still hoping they do something to improve the underlying game, it eventually turning into nothing more than a traffic management "simulator" has been my biggest disappointment.

Haha, I'm just the opposite. I like the city building aspect, but the traffic management was what made me spend so much time wit the game =P. Some of the traffic mods were incredible too.

Steejee

Nice. I've needed a reason to come back to this game. The snowfall expansion didn't really do it for me.

Yeah I was not a fan of Snowfall. Felt like it didn't so much add 'features' as 'requirements'. Would have much preferred if they had incorporated the snow into a seasons update instead of having permanent-snow maps.

Yeah I was not a fan of Snowfall. Felt like it didn't so much add 'features' as 'requirements'. Would have much preferred if they had incorporated the snow into a seasons update instead of having permanent-snow maps.

I bought it, but none of the changes really made me want to keep playing my new snow city. I went back to my giant city I had been building for months.

Lister

Banned
Yeah there are sitll a lot of technical issue wiht the game. Loading times na be ridiculously long, specially with any sort of mods installed.

And the game doesn't run very well. We relaly need a Unity 5 upgrade.

I really hope they fix issues with the base game, such as dumb service vehicle AI, death waves, and long loading times.

I've played for over 200 hours and I've never experienced a death wave. Don't think I'm doing anything particularly special; just making sure every road has hospital/crematorium cover and there's no pollution.

karnage10

Banned
I skipped snowfall because of the lack of content i'm hoping this expansion is like afterdark.
That said i'll buy both on sale if they don't have enough content for me.

Right, but when you say "Natural Disasters" I kinda expect natural disasters that happen frequently/often. Hurricanes, Tsunamis, Earthquakes, Wildfires. Not a rare (okay, not that rare but infrequent) comet crash as a natural disaster (even though it is "natural."). *shrug* Just disappointment based on the title.

They're showing comet first because it's an in-joke based on other Paradox titles.

Haha, I'm just the opposite. I like the city building aspect, but the traffic management was what made me spend so much time wit the game =P. Some of the traffic mods were incredible too.

The problem is there's no real depth to the game and traffic management is the most 'complex' thing to do, and even that's just because of poor game design/AI. It's far too simple as it is.

From what i read earlier as i haven't played the DLC stuff yet, it seems seems even when they attempt to add more complexity to the game, they just end up breaking things - Solar Panels not working at night (which is fine) but there being no way to turn them off at night making them entirelypointless compared to other methods of power as it's all grouped together so you can't adjust budget for them without affecting all the other types as well. Night time doing literally nothing with everyone carrying on pretty much as normal in a lot of cases. Water-themed buildings just being static and not adding anything new in terms of functionality (no boats in the water). If you adjust the funding sliders to have a lower budget at night, people will start to complain about there not being properly maintained services and start to abandon places. Etc. https://www.reddit.com/r/Gaming4Gam...cities_skylines_after_dark_expansion_pack_is/

I'm not sure how much of that is still true but that in combination with them deciding to have the snowfall DLC required a specific map type rather than being a meaningful addition to the the base game itself, i don't have much hope for this. Their attitude to this sort of thing seems to be "It's not Broken (Even though it doesn't do what it's meant to), just use mods instead!".

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Eh. Disasters was always the first thing I disabled in SimCity. They were only fun for a few minutes during the SNES and 2000 days. Then they just became bullshit and I only used them when I was completely over my current city and was bored enough to spend a few minutes destroying them.

Nowadays I'd just open the options menu and exit to the main menu and start over.

Let me know when they have some other stuff to show off. I still haven't bought the winter expansion because I haven't played since the update broke a few mods and I couldn't figure out which ones they were so I gave up.

Top Bottom