• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why the PS3 has virtually no chance in North America.

Monk

Banned
Why is that? Purely due to economic factors. While in other countries the price has gone up less than 50% to the ps2, the ps3($500) has gone up in price from the original ps2($300) by 66%. Oil prices and and cost of living has dramatically increased. So unless you have been savin for quite a while for the ps3, taking a huge chunk of money out of your income is just plain unjustifiable for most people. And in a recent study HDTV adoption is still a high income earner item.

"Even with the price of HD sets decreasing, we see that growth of HD is being driven by those who can most afford to buy one, which in an increasing number of instances includes households with more than one HDTV set," said Bruce Leichtman, president and principal analyst for Leichman Rsearch Group.
http://www.mediaweek.com/mw/news/recent_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1003314428

And what about the fact that it earnings per hour has actually decreased since the bush administration with the decreasing minimum wage?
http://www.washingtonpost.com/ac2/wp-dyn/A37628-2004Dec30?language=printer

It all adds up to one thing, justification of a $500 console is much harder than it was 5 years ago, it is definately more of a luxury item than the ps2 was.

And before you say anything. $500 ps3 is not the tard pack.

MoxManiac

s3d5y8.jpg

manngc

Monk,
What are you trying to say? That Sony will not drop the price? You don't think Sony has thought of reducing the price yet? It will not be $500 for more than 2 years, that's for sure.

smurfx

get some go again
bullshit my nephew is going to be getting the ps3 and i never though in a million years that his mom would buy one for him but they actually went to toys r us to try and get a pre order. oh and yes she knew how much it was so you can't use that excuse. i usually use my family as a measuring stick into how well new tech is going to be adopted and it has always been fairly accurate. i knew cellphones would be big when my uncle who is a total tech noob got one. :lol

JdFoX187

Banned
So you recycle the same argument that has been made since E3 and add nothing to it. Then you make a thread about it. What are you trying to do?

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
The cost of the PS3 is not as prohibitive as people want to think it is. With the supply numbers as low as they are, price makes no difference. In fact, it gives casuals the impression that it's that much more powerful than the competition.

Burger

The thread poster makes more sense than everyone else going "ZOMG You can't say things like that here! IBTL!!!1"

Come on, argue with the guy.

Newzboyz99

Losers! My wife has me on lock!
bullshit my nephew is going to be getting the ps3 and i never though in a million years that his mom would buy one for him but they actually went to toys r us to try and get a pre order. oh and yes she knew how much it was so you can't use that excuse. i usually use my family as a measuring stick into how well new tech is going to be adopted and it has always been fairly accurate.

Well I am convinced. :-/

NinSoX

Banned
As the price gradually drops it'll gain more buyers. I know a dozen people who are not even thinking about it unless it hits $299. (for the record, they will NEVER consider a 360 as a 'replacement'). Whatever.

You are using price as the sole factor in your argument?

What would the price need to be, in your opinion, for it to have a chance in North America?

The $400 Xbox 360 sure seems like it has been having a great "chance."

Monk

Banned
manngc said:
Monk,
What are you trying to say? That Sony will not drop the price? You don't think Sony has thought of reducing the price yet? It will not be $500 for more than 2 years, that's for sure.

Hell no, thats not what i am saying. I am making a a comparison between the competition and considering the economic factors into it. Thought what i am saying is that the 360 will always look more appealing to the ps3 because of the price. I fully expet the price of the 360 to drop soon to make things even harder for the ps3.

Fun fact in ~2000 in america the average wage adjusted to inflation was roughly $19 an hour whereas now its $17.

Speevy

Banned
DaCocoBrova said:
In fact, it gives casuals the impression that it's that much more powerful than the competition.

Except there's no correlation between graphics and sales numbers. SNES vs. Genesis, PS2 vs. Xbox, PS1 and N64, PSP vs. DS. The fact is that the very definition of "good graphics" is different between casuals and this forum.

If I were to say any reason the PS3 has less of a chance for success in NA, price is part of it but more than anything it might be the supply of the console and the strengthened supplies of its competitors consoles. Just because we have beat the dead horse of price around here way too much, does not make it any less of a factor for mass adoption. So it is still significant. But Sony's launch numbers are almost as significant in my opinion, and they are going to have a hard time in that department in an industry where differentiation is not on their side.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Monk said:
Why is that? Purely due to economic factors. While in other countries the price has gone up less than 50% to the ps2, the ps3($500) has gone up in price from the original ps2($300) by 66%. Oil prices and and cost of living has dramatically increased. So unless you have been savin for quite a while for the ps3, taking a huge chunk of money out of your income is just plain unjustifiable for most people. And in a recent study HDTV adoption is still a high income earner item.

And what about the fact that it earnings per hour has actually decreased since the bush administration with the decreasing minimum wage?

It all adds up to one thing, justification of a $500 console is much harder than it was 5 years ago, it is definately more of a luxury item than the ps2 was.

stop-posting.gif

jarosh

Monk said:

monitorslapB.gif

Red Scarlet

Monk said:
Fun fact in ~2000 in america the average wage adjusted to inflation was roughly $19 an hour whereas now its $17.

So if you get a 2nd job like Kutaragi suggested, the PS3 price is no problem, nor are the games!

Really, the people that want it and can afford it will get the thing (without 2 jobs). Those that can't will wait and the system will be fine.

jarosh said:

Thread redeemed! Except why is it the slapper's right hand that goes in, but is the left hand that slaps the guy????

smurfx

get some go again
Newzboyz99 said:
Well I am convinced. :-/
well you should be they are the biggest casual gamers out there and i'm sure they aren't the only ones that will still get the ps3 even though it's 500 and 600 dollars.

border

Monk said:
i made this thread because i have a theory. I am looking for someone to disprov it. :)
Why is the burden of proof shunted off onto other people?

Anyhow, theories are proven or disproven through experimentation and real-world analysis, not rhetoric. There is no purpose for this thread -- nothing here can be proved.

Monk

Banned
SHOTEH FOCK OP said:
You are using price as the sole factor in your argument?

What would the price need to be, in your opinion, for it to have a chance in North America?

The $400 Xbox 360 sure seems like it has been having a great "chance."

Its not so much the price but economic factors. It has to be around $50 more than the 360 atleast to stay competitive to the 360.

Even analysts have said its going to be a close race. People even globally have had the pinch of the oil prices. But it think America is the place that have been hit hard the most.

Stealth

3Gtroll.gif

You didn't even consider how strong the demand for the PS3 is, only how much it costs. People will do crazy things for Ridge Racer.

Stealth said:
3Gtroll.gif

You didn't even consider how strong the demand for the PS3 is, only how much it costs. People will do crazy things for Ridge Racer.

Demand with no supply and viable alternatives is wasted demand.

Top Bottom