• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 Pro Enhanced Stickers?

Sorry if there is already a thread for this, I searched but couldn't find one.

So, I was browsing through few sites when I came across this:
vFcOwh2.png
To help players quickly identify whether or not the game they’re interested in is going to benefit from the power of PlayStation 4 Pro, Sony has designed a new sticker specifically for that purpose
https://www.vg247.com/2016/09/09/ga...es-will-have-a-ps4-pro-enhanced-on-the-cover/

Okay, I'm a little confused. Isn't it mandatory for devs to add enhancements to Pro version of their games from this October and onward? If so, then what's the point of this new sticker?

Luigiv

What an awful looking sticker. Why does it have the official PS4 Pro logo immediately followed by PS4 Pro written in plain text? "PS4 Pro PS4 Pro Enhanced"

Yeah this just further adds to my confusion. If all devs are required to add pro enhancements starting from November, why do we need such labels?

Yeah this just further adds to my confusion. If all devs are required to add pro enhancements starting from November, why do we need such labels?

Are we sure this isn't just for games that came out before the mandatory deadline but are getting enhanced (TLOU, Uncharted, etc)

farisr

https://www.vg247.com/2016/09/09/ga...es-will-have-a-ps4-pro-enhanced-on-the-cover/

Okay, I'm a little confused. Isn't it mandatory for devs to add enhancements to Pro version of their games from this October and onward? If so, then what's the point of this new sticker?
I suppose to get the customer asking, "what's a PS4 Pro?" and "what does Pro enhanced mean?"

It's basically more for marketing, rather than for customers to identify if a title has Pro support. They already said that "virtually all titles will be Pro enhanced day 1 going forward"

Unknown?

Not every game being sold this holiday will have enhancements is why. It's not like previously released games are going to be taken off the shelves. I feel like this shouldn't be so hard to understand.

This is going to confuse the fuck out of casual consumers.

Sony does pretty well with marketing. Not to mention that "PS4 pro" kinda speaks for itself. And besides, it's not as if people who don't have the pro will actually be impacted by this.

If anything, it'll get people to ask the clerks about this ps4 pro business.

I suppose to get the customer asking, "what's a PS4 Pro?" and "what does Pro enhanced mean?"

It's basically more for marketing, rather than for customers to identify if a title has Pro support. They already said that "virtually all titles will be Pro enhanced day 1 going forward"

So this sticker is just gonna be on every single PS4 boxart going forward? That's dumb. They should just have the Pro logo at the top of the box. (I don't think even that would be necessary)

Grimalkin

They should just have the Pro logo at the top of the box. (I don't think even that would be necessary)

No, because then people would think they have to have the Pro model to play the game. That would be worse.

There should be no sticker. If you are the type of consumer to buy the Pro in the first place, you already know what it's going to do to new games. Old games, who gives a fuck (in terms of putting a sticker on the box).

Unknown?

So this sticker is just gonna be on every single PS4 boxart going forward? That's dumb. They should just have the Pro logo at the top of the box. (I don't think even that would be necessary)

Probably not indefinitely but at least it's a sticker and not permanent.

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.

Why? There is nothing misleading or confusing at all imo. As long as there's legacy support, I don't see how anyone would find the sticker confusing...

farisr

Yeah, I don't know. Just guessing. It would make more sense if the sticker was being applied to older titles that are getting Pro support, and the pro support being mentioned/printed on the back of the box for new titles going forward.

Guess we'll find out soon enough.

No, because then people would think they have to have the Pro model to play the game. That would be worse.

There should be no sticker. If you are the type of consumer to buy the Pro in the first place, you already know what it's going to do to new games. Old games, who gives a fuck (in terms of putting a sticker on the box).

Oh yeah, I could see how that might confuse people (make them think the games are Pro exclusive)

Then as someone else have suggested in this thread, they can put the logo at the back of the box art next to rating and online logo.

At any rate, to NeoMetallix's point, the fact that it's a sticker and not part of the box art itself makes me a little hopeful that it won't be permanent.

If this is for new games going forward wouldn't "Pro Enhanced" mean that it's referring to games that go above the minimum requirement of the pro mode, which every game needs to have in the first place. Because if not slapping this on every game seems unnecessary and it's not being as specific as it should be.

If it's just for old games I guess it makes sense but I doubt it.

The only thing mandatory is it's compliant to detect which system it's running on and runs at least at 1080p. I would imagine it's for games that actually do something beyond the bare minimum.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights

I dont see how.

Unless by casual you mean casual as in my kids mother that bought our kids Spiderman for the Wii when they had a Wii U.

I would call her a non gamer but she plays Mortal Kombat and old Nintendo, Sega games. She's stuck on N64 era and earlier. She did play Race the Sun recently tho.

kyser73

It could just be for games out this year that fall into September/October/November release that have already had their box art printed.

JP

vFcOwh2.png

If they really need to do this (they don't) then I think this is a pretty poor way of doing it, there's no benefit in saying PS4 Pro in the heading and repeating it again and just adding ENHANCED to it unless there's going to be an alternative to the PS4 PRO ENHANCED section. Unless they start adding a PS4 PRO UNENHANCED label to things, that just doesn't need to be there.

TalonJH

I would assume the sticker is for games that are already released but received a patch. Newer games will probably already have it on the box.

There are probably hundreds of games at retail already that dont have a neo mode. and if they reprint Second Son or Shadows of Mordor they can put these on there.

SenkiDala

How, the fact that this "sticker" explains that the game has special PS4 Pro features is confusing? It's... The exact opposite? Then everybody will know which games has/hasn't PS4 Pro enhanced feature.

Interesting to see Sony's approach to Pro being quite different to Nintendo's approach with N3DS.

While there are a handful of N3DS-enhanced games, Nintendo left it up to the developer whether they wanted to support the extra processing power, and also didn't make any effort to advertise faster performance on games or better visuals. Had N3DS's only improvement been visual performance, I wonder if Nintendo would have gone the same route as Sony has with Pro.

Not every game being sold this holiday will have enhancements is why. It's not like previously released games are going to be taken off the shelves. I feel like this shouldn't be so hard to understand.

In the leaked dev documents, developers have to include enhancements on disc for games shipping in October, and games shipping from September onwards will require a forwards compatible patch to support NEO mode.

I guess with my being on GAF I completely forgot about something.

The sticker would be clearer "Enhanced for PS4 Pro" (with no repetition obviously). "PS4 Pro Enhanced" may be misread as "Pro Enhanced for PS4" especially with that TM placement. But again, "PS4 Console | Exclusive Game" was not considered a problem, so this won't be either.

Sticker usage will probably work like this:

Games releasing on or after PS4 Pro in November will all ship with the emblem.

Games releasing after September will feature the emblem, either printed on the box after November reprints, or as a sticker on the box.

Games released before September, which receive forwards compatibility patches, will also receive the emblem on the box in reprints, or a sticker placed on the box by retailers.

Top Bottom