• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bandai Namco Games announces God Eater Online for Smartphones

duckroll

http://www.famitsu.com/news/201609/13115338.html

MMO Hunting Action for Smartphones.

9EPgSqt.jpg

PGbRwuM.jpg

Mephala

I wonder how it goes about doing some of the more complex stuff that required two button inputs such as RB+Y mid-combo to quick devour. :\

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Looks quite good, probably a lot of reused assets - expected move giving them more time before a GE3 announcement.

duckroll

I wonder how it goes about doing some of the more complex stuff that required two button inputs such as RB+Y mid-combo to quick devour. :\

I can still see uncovered parts of the screen, so there's clearly still real estate left to put more buttons if they need to!

RalchAC

That UI looks like a nightmare. I can't imagine playing a game like that with those touch controls.

Game looks good though.

Saw this coming from a mile off given Bamco's treatment of the IP over the past few years. When PS4 versions didn't catch on, it was obvious they needed to do something else with it.

Rymuth

Boo~ I'm playing GE at this very moment (taking a short break) - almost thought this was a new entry.

Still, Bamco has SAO version for both console and mobile - mayhaps they'll take the same approach with GE moving forward?

duckroll

More details are out from the actual Famitsu mag. The game is definitely meant to be a "MMO" of sorts, and the actual developer for this is Asobimo. They make Avebel Online: http://asobimo.com/game/avabel.html

That UI sure looks familiar doesn't it? Lol.

The game is also a sequel to GE2 Rage Burst, taking place several years after, with brand new characters being introduced as well. Maybe it's a lead in to God Eater 3?

Apparently there's a good chance they will also be announcing something about the next proper God Eater game for consoles or portables at the TGS stage event on the 17th.

Oregano

More details are out from the actual Famitsu mag. The game is definitely meant to be a "MMO" of sorts, and the actual developer for this is Asobimo. They make Avebel Online: http://asobimo.com/game/avabel.html

That UI sure looks familiar doesn't it? Lol.

The game is also a sequel to GE2 Rage Burst, taking place several years after, with brand new characters being introduced as well. Maybe it's a lead in to God Eater 3?

Apparently there's a good chance they will also be announcing something about the next proper God Eater game for consoles or portables at the TGS stage event on the 17th.

I wonder if they'll make the same mistake as Koei Tecmo and emphasise the PS4 version over the Vita version. BN seem a bit smarter than that though.

duckroll

I wonder if they'll make the same mistake as Koei Tecmo and emphasise the PS4 version over the Vita version. BN seem a bit smarter than that though.

If God Eater 3 isn't coming out until late 2017 or later, I'm not sure if it even makes sense to have a Vita version...

There's this really weird uncomfortable place for franchises which did better on the Vita right now. It wouldn't be easy for them to automatically migrate to the NX or whatever Nintendo has because the userbase might not move there, and at the same time there's a question of how much more life the Vita has in it. At least with Cold Steel 3, being a traditional JRPG, there's a better chance that it can survive on the PS4. But it still begs the question of how Falcom intends to keep the fans who might not upgrade and who bought the series on Vita or PS3 up until now, happy.

Oregano

If God Eater 3 isn't coming out until late 2017 or later, I'm not sure if it even makes sense to have a Vita version...

There's this really weird uncomfortable place for franchises which did better on the Vita right now. It wouldn't be easy for them to automatically migrate to the NX or whatever Nintendo has because the userbase might not move there, and at the same time there's a question of how much more life the Vita has in it. At least with Cold Steel 3, being a traditional JRPG, there's a better chance that it can survive on the PS4. But it still begs the question of how Falcom intends to keep the fans who might not upgrade and who bought the series on Vita or PS3 up until now, happy.

It'd be really brave/stupid of them to go PS4 exclusive though. I can't see it happening.

I also don't think it will be an NX game. The fact that it's getting announced before NX has been revealed kinda rules that out.

If they haven't got anything to pick up Vita's slack they need to stick on Vita. God Eater 2 released really late on PSP.

Chuckpebble

MHFU's 3 button interface begs to be stolen. A single button can do 5 different moves by tapping it or tapping it and sliding it in one of 4 directions.

Eusis

English text when looking at the Japanese store for the game. Is this normal, or does it bode well for international release?

And is the UI still an abomination?

duckroll

Just tell me if it's any good. I don't want to infect my phone of more kusoges. Already uninstalled Fire Emblem Heroes.

NolbertoS

I guess this kills the God Eater franchise on PS4 and Vita :(. I hope Monster Hunter doesn't go mobile too

Edit: I see there some Monster Hunter spinoffs on IOS. Hmm, I guess everything is heading for F2P eventually

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
So far it feels like the 15 minutes of one of the PSP games I played
aka kusoge

The loading at the moment is definite shit.

I guess this kills the God Eater franchise on PS4 and Vita :(. I hope Monster Hunter doesn't go mobile too

Edit: I see there some Monster Hunter spinoffs on IOS. Hmm, I guess everything is heading for F2P eventually

A new console God Eater project was teased at the same time as this mobile game announcement.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
The game itself runs well aside from the loading. I haven't played much GE but if you like it and can get used to the controls this seems okay.

Top Bottom