• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Civilization VI - System Requirements

Nzyme32

b8f631d6bc75190c4b9def51ee66a8e1907f8e17.jpg

We’re happy to report that we’ve just locked down our system requirements for Civilization VI. Thank you for your patience while we tested a variety of systems to ensure Civilization VI is as optimized as it can be.

Minimum
PROCESSOR: Intel Core i3 2.5 Ghz or AMD Phenom II 2.6 Ghz or greater
MEMORY: 4 GB RAM
HARD DRIVE: 12 GB or more
DVD-ROM: Required for disc-based installation
VIDEO CARD: 1 GB DirectX 11 Video Card (AMD 5570 or nVidia 450)

Recommended
PROCESSOR: Fourth generation Intel Core i5 2.5 Ghz or AMD FX8350 4.0 Ghz or greater
MEMORY: 8 GB RAM
HARD DRIVE: 12 GB or more
DVD-ROM: Required for disc-based installation
VIDEO CARD: 2 GB DirectX 11 Video Card (AMD 7970 or nVidia 770 or greater)

Other Requirements
Initial installation requires one-time Internet connection for Steam authentication; software installations required (included with the game) include Steam Client, Microsoft Visual C++ 2012 and 2015 Runtime Libraries, and Microsoft DirectX. Internet connection and acceptance of Steam™ Subscriber Agreement required for activation. See www.steampowered.com/agreement for details.

Unoptimised port if old

ffvorax

4GB minimum... I'm out of PC gaming by too much time... last time the minimum was 2GB... :D

And not for sure in a game like CIV...

Wow, looks like I can still run it on my Phenom II x4 965BE and my Radeon HD 6870. Maybe I'll just buy the 7870 2GB equivalent now. I only play Civ on my PC.

Hopefully there is a demo so I can see how it runs.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Holy crap, a 2016 AAA release I can actually play on my busted old PC. Thanks, Firaxis! :D

ghst

thanks for the laugh
anyone surprised by how low they are hasn't seen the screenshots.

while i doubt the game in its full complexity will be coming to phones and tablets, the backend has definitely been engineered with that in mind.

great for people who want a bit of civ on the go or are running on nan's netbook, not so great for anyone who doesn't want clash of clans tier visuals that look worse than the last civ release five years ago.

Thraktor

That's surprisingly low for minimum system requirements

It's a turn-based game with a fairly large audience who aren't all "gamers", so it makes sense for them to target a very low minimum, which should be fine for anyone who doesn't mind waiting a while for AI turns to be calculated.

anyone surprised by how low they are hasn't seen the screenshots.

while i doubt the game in its full complexity will be coming to phones and tablets, the backend has definitely been engineered with that in mind.

great for people who want a bit of civ on the go or are running on nan's netbook, not so great for anyone who doesn't want clash of clans tier visuals that look worse than the last civ release five years ago.

Civ5 has a touchscreen mode for Win8/10 which is supposed to work very well, so there shouldn't be anything to stop them releasing an iPad version of 6, particularly given the performance of the iPad Pro.

Mupod

I usually come into these threads expecting to eye roll at people losing their minds over OMG I NEED AN i7 WTF?

Those are some very reasonable/realistic looking requirements for sure.

It's a turn-based game with a fairly large audience who aren't all "gamers", so it makes sense for them to target a very low minimum, which should be fine for anyone who doesn't mind waiting a while for AI turns to be calculated.

Civ is pretty much the only game my brother plays, he upgrades his computer whenever one comes out heh.

Ekid

Low as expected given the art style they went for.

The real question though is how much time for a turn to pass after 150 turns on a 10+ players game.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Very nice. But let's see how things go on a huge map with 12 Civs after a couple hundred turns of an Epic playthrough.

Nice reqs, targeting a wide demography.

Did they say anything at all about microtransactions? Hope they keep the classic expansions as DLC thing, followed by GOTY edition with everything.

TheJoRu

Sensible system requirements. Even with my fairly powerful rig (i5-6500, GTX 1060, 16 GB RAM) I'm glad I will probably not need to worry too much about settings and such. The game looks fine as is, so if I can get smooth framerates at 1080p and no issues that will be swell.

dracula_x

I'm pretty sure those requirements are less than the requirements for Beyond Earth.

from Steam page http://store.steampowered.com/app/65980/

MINIMUM:
Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo 1.8 GHz or AMD Athlon X2 64 2.0 GHz
Memory: 2 GB RAM
Graphics: 256 MB ATI HD3650 or better, 256 MB nVidia 8800 GT or better, or Intel HD 3000 or better integrated graphics
DirectX: Version 11
Storage: 8 GB available space
Sound Card: DirectX 9.0c‐compatible sound card
Additional Notes: Other Requirements: Initial installation requires one-time Internet connection for Steam authentication; software installations required (included with the game) include Steam Client, Microsoft Visual C++2012 Runtime Libraries and Microsoft DirectX.

RECOMMENDED:
Processor: 1.8 GHz Quad Core CPU
Memory: 4 GB RAM
Graphics: AMD HD5000 series or better (or ATI R9 series for Mantle support), nVidia GT400 series or better, or Intel IvyBridge or better integrated graphics
DirectX: Version 11
Storage: 8 GB available space
Sound Card: DirectX 9.0c‐compatible sound card
Additional Notes: DirectX: DirectX version 11, or Mantle (with supported video card)

I almost feel guilty buying VI because I think I'm only in the 100-200 hour range of V (my first Civ), but maybe it's time. Looks like my laptop can run it!

What's the news on MP? It was a mess in V, I would play with my brother in the same house and one of us would get kicked all the time, can't imagine trying to play a game with random people.

I hope this becomes a trend because the game looks fantastic.

Devs need to start optimising their games instead of going for the high end.

labx

Banned
God I love Firaxis, Day 1. The still manage to make the best of games without the need of graphic power..

Nice, I just installed an 8350 this week. I wonder how many times I'm going to play this and realize that it is 2 a.m. and that I have an essay due the next day?

Foddzy

Neo Member
While I wish the graphics were more detailed, it is totally a good move business-wise to keep the system requirements very low. Too many developers still don't seem to get this, even after Blizzard showed the way to some extent.

One of my favorite games is Civ IV in large part due to the wonderfully detailed art. I'd like there to be TONS of highly detailed animations in a new civ game, if they went all out for a high system req game it could look really spectacular.

NoWayOut

Looking forward to play this, but as usual with all Firaxis games, I will wait for wait for reviews and user's feedback before buying. Hopefully this time I won't have to wait until the 1st or 2nd expansion to enjoy the game.

Gothos

My bet those are recomended settings for small/normal maps. Bigger maps will definetely require 16GB RAM and really good CPU. Unless new engine is some magic :)

Top Bottom