• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fifa 1-0 Racism

Status
Not open for further replies.

T-Rex.

Banned
Fifa has disbanded its anti-racism task force, declaring the work complete despite ongoing concerns about discriminatory behaviour in Russia, the hosts of the 2018 World Cup.

Fifa has written to members of the task force to say that it has “completely fulfilled its temporary mission” and “is hereby dissolved and no longer in operation.”

[snip]

The most recent research from the Moscow-based SOVA Center and the Uefa-affiliated FARE Network reported a surge in the number of racist incidents involving Russian fans, with most cases going unpunished. Researchers logged 92 incidents of discriminatory incidents by Russian fans in and around stadiums in the 2014-15 season, against a total of 83 for the previous two seasons put together.
https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...-force-russia-2018-world-cup?CMP=share_btn_tw

We did it guys.

0d9.gif

Does that mean teams will stop receiving sanctions for the racist behavior of their fans?

There will no longer be any racist behavior from their fans anymore. FIFA solved the problem.

I'm sure the next time we'll hear monkey sounds coming from the stands in Russia, they will be doing it to support the Bonobo monkey campaign by the WWF.

FIFA SOLVED WILDLIFE CONSERVATION!!!!

RocknRola

Amazing.

Just when you thought FIFA couldn't become even worse, bam. Literally out of nowhere lol Watch as Racism makes a comeback in 2nd half and wins by like 1-10 lol

PatjuhR

I can't get my head around the fact that an organization like the FIFA is behind the biggest sport in the world.

It's a corruption filled nest that just collect money. How the hell is it possible that sports that aren't 10% as big as football were years and years ahead on technical advancements.

It took way to long for them to start implementing a goal decision system and it is still behind. How the hell isn't there a solution for a clear rule like offside that gets so much discussion? Video ref is the answer, but that's not even close to be implemented. Instead we got 5th and 6th refs that wouldn't be 5th or 6th if they were any good. Most of the times they are to afraid to make decisions anyways.

In last round of cup football in the Netherlands we had a first try at a video ref and it helped immediately.

Zelias

Banned
Good to see FIFA taking the successful 'it doesn't happen because we say it doesn't' approach they used to eliminate corruption and applying it, equally successfully, to other problems.

RocknRola

I can't get my head around the fact that an organization like the FIFA is behind the biggest sport in the world.

It's a corruption filled nest that just collect money. How the hell is it possible that sports that aren't 10% as big as football were years and years ahead on technical advancements.

It took way to long for them to start implementing a goal decision system and it is still behind. How the hell isn't there a solution for a clear rule like offside that gets so much discussion? Video ref is the answer, but that's not even close to be implemented. Instead we got 5th and 6th refs that wouldn't be 5th or 6th if they were any good. Most of the times they are to afraid to make decisions anyways.

In last round of cup football in the Netherlands we had a first try at a video ref and it helped immediately.

Yeah we've been testing that here (Portugal) since early August too (I think FIFA allowed some countries to test the system for the next 2 years or so) but just on big matches.

So far, the matches in which it has been used haven't really "needed" it, but I think they want to start using it in all the league matches so they can test out all the different scenarios more often.

It's amazing how it's taken them this long to even acknowledge tech that makes the game a lot more fair, but then again it's FIFA. The best and most popular example of how corruption actually pays off in the long run.

T-Rex.

Banned
Amazing.

Just when you thought FIFA couldn't become even worse, bam. Literally out of nowhere lol Watch as Racism makes a comeback in 2nd half and wins by like 1-10 lol
:lol

And the ball's played up to "I'm not racist but", lovely cushioned header for ALL LIVES MATTERRRRR, YOU BEAUTY. WHAT A HIT SON. WHAT. A. HIT.

Joni

The funny thing is that you could more cheaply solve that with a bunch of RIFD tags. Same goes for goal technology. You could automate almost the entire referee system.

good job. so should people not white+male/russian fear if they go to russia for the world cup?

The players should just accept donations of bananas.

danthefan

The lack of video ref is far from the worst thing about FIFA. They don't want the game stopped constantly to review things and I sort of agree. The EPL is basically a soap opera now with some sports in the middle and the human factor definitely contributes to that.

Even at that you have other sports like tennis where they could literally replace every line judge with Hawkeye, yet they don't.

Rugby has a video ref system but it's ONLY allowed to be used to check if a team has scored or if a team has been suspected of foul play, this is the equivalent of goal line tech in football essentially.

This racism stuff is a complete joke though. It's been happening for years, teams who are found to have racist fans (throwing bananas on the pitch, shouting racist abuse at players) get these paltry fines they could probably pay out of petty cash. If you want to cut this out the teams need to be hammered (e.g. fines in the millions, ban from European football, force games to be played behind closed doors) and the fans in question banned for life.

jelly

Just in time for Russia, there is no recent data to suggest there is a racism problem in Russia, it will be a great World Cup for sponsors and fans. World Cup ends, racism is still a problem, kick out racism again until we get paid to say something different.

I guess also there isn't the same amount of money for ads and banners, need more for themselves.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom