• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yoshi Island DS Gamespot review

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp

The Good: A wildly diverse platformer with lots of huge levels; all of the different babies’ abilities give players plenty to do; crayon graphics and lighthearted music provide a charming atmosphere; unlocking everything is a real challenge, even if finishing the game is easy; improves on the original without mucking anything up.

The Bad: Some people may not like the cleaned-up graphics; music tends to be understated; no multiplayer.

http://www.gamespot.com/ds/action/yoshisisland2/review.html?sid=6161583&page=1

AniHawk

What the fuck

Shit. I wasn't expecting something so high from all I've been hearing. And from Gamespot of all places.

EDIT: Eh, not liking what I'm reading about the length of those levels. One of my main complaints about YI's levels is that the later ones went on so long.

Fady K

Hmm..IGN gave it an 8.0, a little odd. 9.1 sounds way too high. But i do plan on getting the game soon. I loved New Super Mario Bros., and if gamespot thinks this is better (which I doubt) i guess its worth a look.

Xeke

Banned
Sounds good, I'll probably pick it up next year once I get a job again. All of my current funds are going towards Wii and Zelda.

Tiktaalik

Error2k4 said:
The Good: A wildly diverse platformer with lots of huge levels; all of the different babies’ abilities give players plenty to do; crayon graphics and lighthearted music provide a charming atmosphere; unlocking everything is a real challenge, even if finishing the game is easy; improves on the original without mucking anything up.

Gamespot slamming 1up as weaksauce players?

bob_arctor said:
:lol I dig Contact even with it's non-combat combat. What makes you so down on it?

It isn't that I hate the game or anything, I just didn't realize that FFIII and Yoshi's Island were coming out so soon so now I'm ****ed.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
DXMachina said:
It isn't that I hate the game or anything, I just didn't realize that FFIII and Yoshi's Island were coming out so soon so now I'm ****ed.

Tell me about it. I got about $60 in my wallet right now. Secret stash. The question is do I get FFIII, YI DS or RS: Vegas for 360. I figure with Gears I have my shooter fix for the 360, but the Vegas demo was pretty hot. By the same token, I still haven't finished either Contact or even NSMB, so it's not like I can't get my rpg or platformer fix. Decisions, decisions...

mosaic

go eat paint
cartman414 said:
Frank Provo was the reviewer. I like him, but he seems to be partial to portable games.
That's probably why they primarily have me reviewing portable games! *lol*

So, yeah, I'm partial to portable games.... but I don't rate every handheld game higher just because it fits into a GBA, DS, or PSP. I had a blast with Yoshi's Island DS while I was cranking through it to write it up, and I'm still having a blast with it now that I'm playing it at a leisurely pace for my own enjoyment. For me, it's giving me everything that New Super Mario Bros. didn't -- which is to say lengthy levels, a diverse selection of bosses, and a bit of challenge.

SantaC

I got the game today and it is better than NSMB. I have played through 2 worlds and the levels are surprisingly very long, and you will die more often than in NSMB. I kinda like the lighthearted music also.

I am using baby peach the most, her fly ability really rocks. One staged required that you flew very high in the sky to reach the exit.

sammy

the game is just being really good to me so far --- awesome stuff, the EXACT same as the origional just more stuff/puzzles. even the first levels are like carbon copies.

the music doesn't seem bad, it's just not always the best suited for the moment (for example, when the obligatory huge rollying spike monster chases you - it's durring some of the most calm music the game has)

for the most part the art is all there, the new yoshi sprites aren't nearly as charming as the origional (and hitch up moving on stairs... i miss the old sprite how his feet would wheel in circles hitting every step)

ProphetZG

It's a great game. Better than NSMB and SPP IMO.

I'd give it a solid 9. The music is lacking, not really that bad, but it's just kinda boring. Other than that, the game is rock solid. Gorgeous hand drawn graphics (NSMB's rendered crap is ugly and classless in comparison) in the traditional YI style, and awesome gameplay that's fun and interesting.

dbish

AHHH! All of these positive reviews are boosting my expectations! Seriously though, I will have this game, and it better be good. Glad to hear that it is challenging, NSMB was a freaking cake walk (though shooting for 100% boosted the challenge a bit).

SuomiDude

dbish said:
Glad to hear that it is challenging, NSMB was a freaking cake walk (though shooting for 100% boosted the challenge a bit).
Doesn't it say exactly the same about YIDS in that summary?
"unlocking everything is a real challenge, even if finishing the game is easy"

So both games are pretty easy to just play through, but finding every secret is a challenge of some sort.

SantaC

SuomiDude said:
Doesn't it say exactly the same about YIDS in that summary?
"unlocking everything is a real challenge, even if finishing the game is easy"

So both games are pretty easy to just play through, but finding every secret is a challenge of some sort.

the levels are definiely harder than nsmb. The puzzles are more demanding.

Jcgamer60

This game felt way more satisfying than NSMB in terms of difficulty. Not saying this game is that hard....
the bonus at the end is though.
:)

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Is there any reward for getting 100 points in every level? I'll do nevertheless but I would be sad if there was none.

SuomiDude

SantaC said:
the levels are definiely harder than nsmb. The puzzles are more demanding.
Well I can agree with that. I played the demo and the first couple of levels were harder than about half of New Super Mario Bros.' levels.

But what I was trying to say is that that GS review summary said it's pretty easy to just play through, just like NSMB... eh, whatever :p

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
There is absolutely no debate here-

YIDS main game is MUCH more challenging than NSMB's.
YIDS' 100% completion is MUCH more challenging, as well.

dbish

SuomiDude said:
Well I can agree with that. I played the demo and the first couple of levels were harder than about half of New Super Mario Bros.' levels.

But what I was trying to say is that that GS review summary said it's pretty easy to just play through, just like NSMB... eh, whatever :p

Sorry, I should have been clearer. I was basing relative challenge level not just off of the Gamespot review, but also fan reviews, the EGM reviews, 1up impressions, etc.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
This game is fab. The bosses thus far(starting with world 2-4's) have been wonderful.

The levels can sometimes feel a bit too large, scouring around for red coins and flowers and switching babies to complete an entire section...only to die and hafta do it all again from a checkpoint can feel ruthless.

Still, it's more compelling than I had imagined.

Great game so far (World 3). I don't mind the music much at all. My biggest problem is what's already been said, the levels are sometimes too large and complex. I was going to pick up the GBA port of the original but BB didn't have any copies. :(

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Yea, the gap can be a real irritation. You get decent camera control and can flip the screens at anytime, but Sonic Rush handled it better.

Top Bottom