• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VLC App now available for XBox One

Gowans

VLC is famous for being able to play back almost any format with zero hassle

Yeah it's what I use on my PC's but the same has done for me with the Xbox Media Player.

On another note Kodi is going to be huge when that UWP comes for that one, it seems massive in the UK.

If it can connect to my media library on my desktop and run those files from there without any issues, this might push me over to get an Xbox One.

EvB

On another note Kodi is going to be huge when that UWP comes for that one, it seems massive in the UK.

That's because piracy is rife in the U.K.!

A guy just got inprisoned for selling preconfigured Kodi bits with all what illegal shenanigans installed.

Spasm

Whoever can check:

MKV container
Soft subtitles
Native HEVC
Native DTS

would be a hero.

Yep. For streaming Plex is the best.
Mostly yes. There are still limitations. Subtitles are always transcoded. DTS is always transcoded. HEVC is played natively, unless the audio steam is something other than AAC or AC3, then both audio and video are transcoded.

My poor little Atom based NAS has trouble keeping up.

mike4001_

Just tried it

First the + side

* DLNA is supported
* DTS audio plays without transcoding
* subtitles are supported without transcoding / burning into the screen - (subs included in the .mkv container)
* You can upload files from your PC to Xbox One via http://[IP of Xbox]:8080/ - You just drop them into the web-interface and it uploads them to your Xbox One
* There is an option how to use external drives (Just mount it or copy the content to the Xbox One)
* => Don´t know if there are any storage limitations. I copied a 800 MB mkv file via the web-interface => Now I don´t know how to delete it :D
* HEVC does direct play (only have a file with DD 5.1 audio, no HEVC+DTS)
* Equalizer, Audio/Subtitles +/- 3 seconds can be adjusted
* Options to stretch/crop image if it isn't native 16:9
* Network addresses can be played from the app itself

- side

* The DLNA server from PLEX had problems to load folders with many items in it. If I have just a couple of unwatched movies it loads and I can start the movie without any problems => Maybe someone can confirm this, or try another DLNA server ...
* I cannot fast-forward or rewind. Just play/pause
* strangely the audio of a stereo .mkv file just played on the back-left and back-right speaker

etta

my hard graphic balls
VLC is the best out there and it's not even close.

Batman-Slapping-Robin.jpg

MPC HC 4 LYFE

c0de

Just tried it

First the + side

* DLNA is supported
* subtitles are supported without transcoding / burning into the screen - (subs included in the .mkv container)
* You can upload files from your PC to Xbox One via http://[IP of Xbox]:8080/ - You just drop them into the web-interface and it uploads them to your Xbox One
* There is an option how to use external drives (Just mount it or copy the content to the Xbox One)
* => Don´t know if there are any storage limitations. I copied a 800 MB mkv file via the web-interface

- side

* The DLNA server from PLEX had problems to load folders with many items in it. If I have just a couple of unwatched movies it loads and I can start the movie without any problems => Maybe someone can confirm this, or try another DLNA server ...

Cool stuff and good to hear from a first release.

Spasm

Just tried it

First the + side

* DLNA is supported
My hero!

I can test HEVC, but it won't be till this evening.

So how do I get this on my Xbox? I searched for it in the app section and didn't find it, and I downloaded it at the link in the OP with my MS account and it still didn't show up.

Edit: I see, my ready to install page was set to just games.

Meier

Can you stream VLC-compatible links from the web with this like you can on an iPad or PC? That'd be a pretty nice function to have.

Dabanton

I thought the default media player was already compatible .srt subtitles?

It is, but it does this weird thing where subs would play on the left side of the screen not in the middle very annoying. I mostly use use Plex on my X1 so haven't checked to see if they fixed it on the default.

MCD

For animu fans:

Embedded subs work (can switch easily between multiple subs) + can switch between multiple audio (english, japanese...etc).

Styled subs work (colors, karaoke etc).

You can open .srt files easily by selecting open sub, pick the file and hit select button.

10bit files work.

Flac audio inside mkv works.

However there are two files that lagged like crazy. Intial D the movie (central anime) and Kabenari of the iron fortress. First one is high quality so I thought maybe high bitrate/codec? But second is just a tv rip from horriblesub. The weird thing is that they only lagged and artifacted at first then they played nice (not Initial D, lagged again). However Intial D sound is all fucked up. Speech coming from the rear while music/effects from the front. It's reversing the channels or maybe it's intended?

Another issue I noticed is that subs can be jaggy? There is some artifacts but maybe because I am sitting close for testing.

Edit: I think I solved the problem with Initial D movie lag and artifacts: You must disable Hardware Decoding under settings.

FZW

If it can connect to my media library on my desktop and run those files from there without any issues, this might push me over to get an Xbox One.

Emby, Xbox Media Player and Plex already does this on the XB1 tho, for well over a year

Anony

kinda related, is there anyway to sideload winstore apps (aka vlc) on win10
(i dont want to link my win10 to a live account, want to keep it local only)
i searched but havent found anything

kinda related, is there anyway to sideload winstore apps (aka vlc) on win10
(i dont want to link my win10 to a live account, want to keep it local only)
i searched but havent found anything

Yes you can, but you don't need to sync your user account to a Ms account, log in into the store and be sure to select Log in on this app only.

pieface

I've just noticed Kodi has a UWP app on Win 10 Store, what are the chances of this coming to Xbox?

That would be HUGE!

Oh shit son, Xbox One just got more appealing to me again.

VLC is god tier.

First Back compat filling out nicely, the storm grey X1 and now this. Ung.

Tried a couple movies, first one was framey and the second had very brief screen artifacts, not a great start but I'm still impressed, even if it doesn't improve over time, it's still a good back-up for my setup.

Why can't I "buy" the app to add to my account via phone, Mac or otherwise? It's also not available via the Xbox store in the UK?

Try searching "windows" on you Xbox, most UWP apps come up that way.

Why can't I "buy" the app to add to my account via phone, Mac or otherwise? It's also not available via the Xbox store in the UK?

Indeed.

They removed direct purchases from the web store for now (I believe it was a cut feature due the unifying that has yet to be added back), so the web store only opens the store app page.

So at the moment buying from non ms platforms is a no.

deepio

Neo Member

Highlight the progress bar using your controller, press A, then you can use the left stick to forward/rewind. However, it doesn't work so well, I found it fowarding about 5mins then stopping to catch up with the video. It would appear VLC has a very strange way of doing it. It could have just been the video I was watching though, I will try a few more.

brawly

For animu fans:

Embedded subs work (can switch easily between multiple subs) + can switch between multiple audio (english, japanese...etc).

Styled subs work (colors, karaoke etc).

You can open .srt files easily by selecting open sub, pick the file and hit select button.

10bit files work.

Flac audio inside mkv works.

However there are two files that lagged like crazy. Intial D the movie (central anime) and Kabenari of the iron fortress. First one is high quality so I thought maybe high bitrate/codec? But second is just a tv rip from horriblesub. The weird thing is that they only lagged and artifacted at first then they played nice (not Initial D, lagged again). However Intial D sound is all fucked up. Speech coming from the rear while music/effects from the front. It's reversing the channels or maybe it's intended?

Another issue I noticed is that subs can be jaggy? There is some artifacts but maybe because I am sitting close for testing.

Megaton.

For a first try it's really lovely. Who knew a project from Win8 days that started as a kickstarter and was buggy as hell would be this awesome.

Thomas Nigro and the rest of VLC team: Thank you.

Oh yeah, I remember that, and getting extremely disappointed when they first released.

What a turnaround.

amdb00mer

I wonder if this will allow me to stream my 4K media to my X1S and display it at 4K instead of 1080p. If anybody has a way to test this let me know. If not i'll try it out when i get home from work.

That's because piracy is rife in the U.K.!

A guy just got inprisoned for selling preconfigured Kodi bits with all what illegal shenanigans installed.

Same thing goes on in the US. Going on craigslist or Facebook sales groups you'll see plenty of people selling side loaded fire sticks.

MCD

I think I solved the problem with lag and artifacts: You must disable Hardware Decoding under settings.

Solved it instantly.

Spasm

For a first try it's really lovely. Who knew a project from Win8 days that started as a kickstarter and was buggy as hell would be this awesome.

Thomas Nigro and the rest of VLC team: Thank you.
All according to keikaku.

Top Bottom