• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony PS's ForwardWorks releasing 5-6 mobile games by March 2018, considering TLG, HS

ggx2ac

TOKYO -- Sony plans to ready five or more smartphone games for release around late March 2018, targeting Japan and other parts of Asia.

Sony Interactive Entertainment will create new offerings based on popular PlayStation series. Mobile game arm ForwardWorks will handle distribution.

Some older games that cannot be played on the latest hardware will be revived. Games may be linked to consoles as well. Titles in development will likely be announced by year-end.

http://asia.nikkei.com/Business/Companies/Sony-to-launch-first-smartphone-games-in-2018

screen568x568.jpeg

Knack's Quest 2?!

I'm struggling to think of any Sony IPs that would work well on mobile. They're built themselves up in recent years on these deep, cinematic experiences that favor consoles.

Qwark

Yeah, I don't get why this is the 'first'. First with this developer maybe. First good Sony mobile games, hopefully.

Soroc

Fuck off Sony! Nintendo doesn't want to play with you anymore because you are rich and mean and keep taking their lunch money!

Poor Nintendo, can never escape Sony, no matter how hard they try...

oti

Banned
Haven't they already released several mobile games prior? Fat Princess and Sackboy Run for example.

After Pokémon GO they said they'd try again with heavier investments or something. Didn't they say something along the line of Pokémon GO changed everything? Anyway, all of this sounds cool and I can't wait to see what they are cooking up. No one needs another match-3 game. Try something unique.

dracula_x

After Pokémon GO they said they'd try again with heavier investments or something. Didn't they say something along the line of Pokémon GO changed everything? Anyway, all of this sounds cool and I can't wait to see what they are cooking up. No one needs another match-3 game. Try something unique.

that was before Pokemon Go – http://www.sie.com/en/corporate/release/2016/160324.html

Tokyo, March 24, 2016 – Sony Computer Entertainment Inc. that will change its company name to Sony Interactive Entertainment Inc. (SIE) effective Friday, April 1st, 2016, announced today the formation of ForwardWorks Corporation (ForwardWorks), a new company that is aimed to deploy new services toward the ever-expanding smart device market. ForwardWorks will begin its operation from April 1st, 2016.

ForwardWorks will leverage the intellectual property of the numerous PlayStation® dedicated software titles and its gaming characters as well as the knowledge and know-how of gaming development expertise which was acquired over the years with PlayStation® business to provide gaming application optimized for smart devices including smartphones* to users in Japan and Asia. The company will aim to deliver users with opportunity to casually enjoy full-fledged game titles in the new filed of the smart device market.

BigEmil

PLEASEEE put the Patapon and Locoroco games + make the sequels k thx.
Also Ape Escape while your at it and maybe Legend of Dragoon remaked specifically for mobile

Good luck because unlike Nintendo, Sony ips lack mass appeal.

Their entire catalog is filled with story driven cinematic experiences. I doubt they have anything that will get a fraction of Pokemon Go or what Mario will get.

What can they even use? Sackboy or Ratchet.......

dracula_x

Good luck because unlike Nintendo, Sony ips lack mass appeal.

Their entire catalog is filled with story driven cinematic experiences. I doubt they have anything that will get a fraction of Pokemon Go or what Mario will get.

What can they even use? Sackboy or Ratchet.......

Nintendo is not the only company who make money on mobile.

Nintendo is not the only company who make money on mobile.

It's less Sony not making money and more Sony utilizing Playstation IP to translate to meaningful mobile software. Like I can make the same argument that PS IPs are not as iconic as other companies besides Nintendo. Like Square Enix and Namco. Both of them being up on that list there.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I literally have Uncharted, Fat Princess and Sackboy games on my phone right now.

I think they're using that wording to try and ripoff Nintendo's buzzed about entry into mobile.

Mael

Are they trying to say that they haven't released mobile games already?
Because they did and no one gave a shit, what's going to be different this time?
Is there even a market for their IP on mobile?
I mean where their IP would increase the visibility of their Apps?

Mael

What makes you think these will be any different? It will likely be the same thing. SIE Santa Monica / "insert small mobile developer" or SIE Japan Studio / "insert small developer".

Pokemon Go wasn't even a success because GameFreak or EAD was behind it after all.
And looking at how they treat their non console initiative I doubt they're going to flush that much money there either.

Top Bottom