• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game over? Industry suffers slowdown after decades-long winning streak — Financial Times

midnightAI

Quite sure is real. The source is confirmed by Tom Henderson with have one of the most credential in leaks/rumors departament.
To the Horizon multiplayer game that was confirmed, I guess he can meet the same fate as the TLOUS factions.

And again, I not against remaster, but remastering a bloody new game is stupid to the maximum level. Get a 10~20 years old game and do something about, but we are remasting 1~2 years game with is absoluty insane. Huge waste of resources and man power.

Well its still a rumour, a rumour isn't real until confirmed. I still question whether the leaked Horizon multiplayer was anything more than an internal test for its viability, they have LOADS of internal dev vids that have been released in one form or another including how Horizon Zero Dawn was originally a co-op game.

And I agree that normally games shouldn't be remastered if new, however, if that remaster includes an upgraded game for the PC then I understand releasing the PS5 version also (ie. Last of Us 2), I think that the update should be free unless anything major was added to it (again, in the case of TLoU 2 I understand it). But to resell that game at full price I don't agree with unless its a full remake (TLoU 1 is questionable, that's why I haven't bought it, that and I dont want to buy it a third time). And these remasters are done on the cheap with small teams within those studios (sometimes even offloaded to other dev studios/support teams), they don't affect the development of other games so they aren't a huge waste of resources and manpower and make money, which is the ultimate goal.

Ceadeus

Gold Member
Maybe if dipshit, trend-chasing CEO's weren't regularly destroying their own companies with demonstrably stupid anti-consumer business practices, industry might be healthier. People are sick of the bullshit. See: Palworld, Helldivers, etc...
absolutely so right. Gaming has never been in a worst situation and I'm telling without hyperbole. I'm burned out and almost giving up.

ThisIsMyDog

5BZfeVH.png

leizzra

I still question whether the leaked Horizon multiplayer was anything more than an internal test for its viability, they have LOADS of internal dev vids that have been released in one form or another including how Horizon Zero Dawn was originally a co-op game

Nope, it is/was real and in development since at least 2019.

midnightAI

Nope, it is/was real and in development since at least 2019.
Oh yeh, I know it was real, but what I mean is we aren't certain if it's still in development or how far they got with it. Most Dev teams/houses experiment with stuff between projects and/or have small dev teams working on new stuff all of the time that gets made or not. What I'm saying is I'm not convinced it got any further than internal prototype stage, it may well have, I'm sure we'll eventually find out (or not)

leizzra

Oh yeh, I know it was real, but what I mean is we aren't certain if it's still in development or how far they got with it. Most Dev teams/houses experiment with stuff between projects and/or have small dev teams working on new stuff all of the time that gets made or not. What I'm saying is I'm not convinced it got any further than internal prototype stage, it may well have, I'm sure we'll eventually find out (or not)
Well, it was further in development. You don't hire people outside of the studio if you're making only a prototype. I can't say much more because I don't want to make trouble for some people.

Is it still in development? Well it was for at least three years and it fitted GaaS strategy nicely. I think that it should be in better place then TLoU Online. I would bet my money that it's still going and will launch next year.

JohnnyTropics

Neo Member
Nature is growth + death simultaneously. We see that the strongest segment of the market is GAAS while expensive AAA games are headed in the wrong trajectory in terms of profits. PlayStation predicted this years ago. Y'all just didn't listen.

(Look at graph on the left)
Screenshot_2023_05_23_at_5.28.54_PM.png

GAAS is the hero you deserve. Not the hero you need.

This guy gets it.

In simplest terms: if you made a graph,
  • where the x axis was "money spent on video games", and to left left of center was 0 or less than 0 (freemium gaming) and the right was escalating costs (console and game purchasers, microtransactions, etc.);
  • and the y axis was "games wanted", and above the center was backlog games, and below the center was new releases
You would see a very linear trend, whereby the people who spend the most on gaming have bigger backlogs than new-release-wishlists.
You would also see that gamers in that qaudrant of the graph have been: gaming longer, and have niche interests (jrpgs, mech games, etc.)

Capturing and monetizing that quadrant of the graph is going to be the story for the next decade of gaming. The endgame looks like you turning on your TV and deciding between streaming Zelda through the Nintendo ap, or Final Fantasy 7 remake through the Squenix ap.

Last edited:
Top Bottom