• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom Q2 FY 2017 Results: Monster Hunter X (Cross) 4.1 million

Bruno MB

tPy3pDW.jpg

wcqcQWF.jpg

http://www.capcom.co.jp/ir/english/news/html/e161027b.html
http://www.capcom.co.jp/ir/english/data/pdf/result/2016/2nd/result_2016_2nd_01.pdf

Capcom updated million sellers list:

Monster Hunter X (Cross) - 800,000 (4,100,000 LTD)
Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen - 200,000 (1,500,000 LTD)
Resident Evil 5 - 100,000 (7,100,000 LTD)
Monster Hunter Freedom 3 - 100,000 (4,900,000 LTD)
Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City - 100,000 (2,500,000 LTD)
Resident Evil Revelations 2 - 100,000 (2,000,000 LTD)
Resident Evil 0: HD Remaster - 100,000 (1,200,000 LTD)
Bionic Commando - New entry! (1,000,000 LTD)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Street Fighter V - 0 (1,400,000 LTD)

http://www.capcom.co.jp/ir/english/finance/million.html

'while elsewhere Sengoku BASARA... was released'

Why they insist on never bringing these overseas will forever baffle me.

Toni

I really wanted Dragons Dogma to be a bit higher, to be honest.

It deserved that and a lot more.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
Please please please make Dragon's Dogma 2 with multiplayer, a more balanced stat growth system and easier/shorter-to-cast spells for mage classes.

I had no idea Monster Hunter games were still selling so well after so many iterations.

squall23

'while elsewhere Sengoku BASARA... was released'

Why they insist on never bringing these overseas will forever baffle me.
Capcom has ludicrous expectations for Basara outside of Japan for some reason. Which of course means they've failed those expectations every time, which means no more translating.

They could you know, save costs by not dubbing the game, because the cast is friggin' huge now.

Jawmuncher

Bionic Commando made it.

It's fucking reboot Spencer's too. That's fucking amazing. Guess cheap PC sales helped, since I don't think it was in that PS3 humble was it?

Welfare

So SFV was either massively over shipped at launch or the legs literally disappeared. That is terrible performance.

entremet

SFV should've never been released at that state.

Capcom really oversold the esports aspect. And going PS4 console exclusive was a mistake.

zeromcd73

You guys probably won't have to worry about future Sengoku Basara titles not getting localized. The new game bombed so bad the franchise won't get any new titles in the future.

Jawmuncher

It's cool to see RE5 still doing well. Might not be 4 quality, but it's still a really fun game. Especially in coop.

Operation Raccoon City is a real surprise though. Guess the cheap digital sales (even though they never put the DLC on sale). Help a lot with that title.

Alrus

Those are some pretty nice sales for MHG.
Raccoon City being this high is hilarious for such a shit game...

Sesha

Dark Arisen has 456k ± 17k owners on Steam currently according to SteamSpy, since it released in January.

I'm embarrassed to be a human

It didn't necessarily sell 100k since last quarter. Since updates for modern titles only happen in increments of 100k, it could actually have been just a thousand or so off before reaching 2.5m.

Bruno MB

All 3DS Monster Hunter titles are sitting at 4.1 million excluding Monster Hunter 3 (Tri) G.

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate - 4,100,000
Monster Hunter X (Cross) - 4,100,000
Monster Hunter 4 - 4,100,000

Very strong sales for all of them but they still can't reach Monster Hunter PlayStation Portable biggest titles.

Monster Hunter Freedom 3 - 4,900,000*
Monster Hunter Freedom Unite - 3,700,000*

*Since Japanese budget versions aren't included, in reality both titles are higher.

Franchise peak is Monster Hunter Freedom 3 with over 5 million units sold in just Japan since it was never released in the West. And for Monster Hunter Freedom Unite I guesstimate a figure very close to 5 million since Japan + US sell through is over 4.5 million.

I don't understand why Capcom doesn't include the budget versions, they are the only ones that don't want to make their numbers look better :p

squall23

You guys probably won't have to worry about future Sengoku Basara titles not getting localized. The new game bombed so bad the franchise won't get any new titles in the future.
It deserved to bomb. The whole game could've been just DLC with how little of it there was, but you know, it's Capcom.

mrmickfran

Selling as expected means it did what they wanted, but not better. Series will continue, but we are unlikely to see it go physical in NA again for example
That and they'll be less likely to bring over any AA spin-offs if the main series is selling just enough :|

Infinite

All 3DS Monster Hunter titles are sitting at 4.1 million excluding Monster Hunter 3 (Tri) G.

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate - 4,100,000
Monster Hunter X (Cross) - 4,100,000
Monster Hunter 4 - 4,100,000

Very strong sales for all of them but they still can't reach Monster Hunter PlayStation Portable biggest titles.

Monster Hunter Freedom 3 - 4,900,000*
Monster Hunter Freedom Unite - 3,700,000*

*Since Japanese budget versions aren't included, in reality both titles are higher.

Franchise peak is Monster Hunter Freedom 3 with over 5 million units sold in just Japan since it was never released in the West. And for Monster Hunter Freedom Unite I guesstimate a figure very close to 5 million since Japan + US sell through is over 4.5 million.

I don't understand why Capcom doesn't include the budget versions, they are the only ones that don't want to make their numbers look better :p
Does this include digital as well?

Sesha

I doubt that. It's a spin-off that heavily reuses existing assets. Same for Sumeragi which was basically just a remaster. If it was SB5 that bombed, that's a different story.

It didn't necessarily sell 100k since last quarter. Since updates for modern titles only happen in increments of 100k, it could actually have been just a thousand or so off before reaching 2.5m.

2.5M LTD is the part I'm embarrassed about. ORC is legitimately the worst game I've ever played in 21 years of gaming. Fans like to shit on the direction RE took, yet they're the ones who made it so....

L~A

I think we can get a rough estimate for MHG sales in the west, but can't find the numbers from the past quarter (and the page has already been updated). The game hasn't sold that much in Japan since the last quarter, so it should be easy.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Impossible. The number was 3.3 million (JP only) before the update.

I think we can get a rough estimate for MHG sales in the west, but can't find the numbers from the past quarter (and the page has already been updated). The game hasn't sold that much in Japan since the last quarter, so it should be easy.

Around 650k?
Still pretty solid

TreIII

I doubt that. It's a spin-off that heavily reuses existing assets. Same for Sumeragi which was basically just a remaster. If it was SB5 that bombed, that's a different story.

Exactly.

Fans are starved for new BASARA content, but Capcom has been basically coasting along with with amounts to SB4 expansions for the last few years, and the sales reflect that much. Doesn't help that these games were ones that Capcom expected to be yearly releases, but still give Kobayashi and his crew pennies for budget.

Top Bottom