• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kyoto-Report: NST ported Mario Maker to 3DS, starting development for smart devices

Shiggy

NST just finished porting Super Mario Maker for 3DS. Working on two other first-party projects. Also beginning mobile development.

https://twitter.com/EADNinja/status/794597603388325889

While we don't have more information, this is rather big news. They've worked on Mario vs/& Donkey Kong titles for years now. Having another studio work on mobile development is also interesting, and lines up with what Liam Robertson reported late last year.

When it comes to blaming Nintendo for the shitty online functionality in the 3DS port, we now know whom to blame specifically.

Kyoto-Report also tweeted:
Nintendo and Vitei's project is 99% done. Waiting for NCL to decide release.
https://twitter.com/EADNinja/status/794592837585211393
This is to be expected as Tank Troopers is supposed to launch later this year in Japan.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
It's quite amazing now most of NCL's internal teams went dark 2+ years ago, even this Mario Maker port was farmed out to a low-tier team.

The Switch unveiling can't come soon enough.

Clov

Interesting that they had NST do it. This must be the biggest project they've gotten to handle in a while (even though it's just a downgraded port). If Nintendo ends up making a Switch version (and I definitely feel like they will), I wonder if they'll have NST handle that too? Or will EPD do it themselves, and add a bunch of new features?

I honestly have no idea whether this is a step up or step down for NST...

Sucks they just won't let them make their own games again; they used to produce some fantastic stuff

Interesting that they had NST do it. This must be the biggest project they've gotten to handle in a while (even though it's just a downgraded port). If Nintendo ends up making a Switch version (and I definitely feel like they will), I wonder if they'll have NST handle that too? Or will EPD do it themselves, and add a bunch of new features?

Bolded is what I could see happening. Laura Dale even mentioned a Mario Maker port when discussing the Switch's IR pointer. Emily Rogers also mentioned it a while back as well (though she was unsure if it was still in development).

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
Twitter is the New New York Times! Everything is 100% legit about NST and Vitei. Or at least primary sources.

Clov

Bolded is what I could see happening. Laura Dale even mentioned a Mario Maker port when discussing the Switch's IR pointer. Emily Rogers also mentioned it a while back as well (though she was unsure if it was still in development)

I can definitely see something like that happening. For a game like Mario Maker, I could even see it making it for launch.

I wonder what NST's other projects are? I think it's safe to assume that they're making another Mario Vs DK title, for either mobile or the Switch (or both). Maybe they're working on another port?

TheMoon

I wonder what NST's other projects are? I think it's safe to assume that they're making another Mario Vs DK title, for either mobile or the Switch (or both). Maybe they're working on another port?

Their lead designer left a few months ago. Wouldn't be sooo sure about MKvsDK.

Mario Maker would be a good fit on Smartphones, it's simple and would work well with touchscreen controlls.

Except for the part where you play stuff....

And the part about not putting their console games on mobile. :D

Do we know he's trustworthy? He has under 100 followers.
The title makes it sound like a JPN news paper when it seems to be some random Twitter user that's dedicated to being an "insider". We got a ton of those pre Switch reveal and they were all fake

Peltz

Mario Maker would be a good fit on Smartphones, it's simple and would work well with touchscreen controlls.

Serious question: Have you ever played a Mario game?

The community of Super Mario Maker has made some of the toughest levels (if not THE toughest levels) ever put into a video game. Touch screen controls would not suffice for attempting them.

OmegaFax

Nintendo should totally put Mario Maker on Android/iOS since I can't figure out how they'd put it on the Switch

Nintendo could bundle a capacitive stylus with every copy of Mario Maker Switch + allow digital buyers to request one with their receipt.

Considering how active Mario Maker updates were, only to suddenly drop off, I'm surprised by this. Maybe the Mario Maker devs decided to go all in on the eventual Switch port/sequel?

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Nintendo should totally put Mario Maker on Android/iOS since I can't figure out how they'd put it on the Switch

Supposedly the Switch supports IR pointing, so it would use Wii style pointer control in TV mode and touchscreen in portable mode. Unlike the Wii U version they cannot use the tablet and TV display at once.

Top Bottom