• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation 4 Pro Reviews

DOWN

Banned
http://nextgengamingblog.com/blog/ps4-pro-review/
...However, if you already own a PS4, the question becomes a lot trickier. If you care about your games, how they perform and still want to stick with a console, then the PS4 Pro is a viable upgrade. If you have a 4k TV and want to squeeze the best out of a console, then it’s a viable upgrade. If you have a PSVR, then the PS4 Pro provides a noticeable improvement to the quality of experience you get...

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2016-playstation-4-pro-review
Has PlayStation 4 Pro managed to live up to its marketing? By and large, yes. At its best, it is capable of producing compelling results at native 4K. Stack up Rise of the Tomb Raider on Pro against an ultra high-end PC and run them side-by-side and you'll see that most of the 4K clarity is there, much of the detail is there and frame-rate remains the clearest differentiating factor. But the fact that a £350/$399 box is capable of even competing is a remarkable achievement.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/playstation-4-pro-review/1100-6445141/
Regardless, the PS4 Pro is priced fairly, offers a plethora of features, and is the most powerful console you can buy today.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2016/11/07/ps4-pro-review
Pro has the raw power to potentially deliver greatly enhanced graphics, and in time, with more support, it will likely do just that, but right now, it’s just too much of a crap shoot.

https://www.engadget.com/2016/11/07/sony-playstation-4-pro-review/
So who is the PlayStation 4 Pro actually meant for? After testing it out for the past week, I'd say it's for people who haven't yet bought a PS4 and want to show off their fancy new 4K/HDR sets. And of course, there are the hardcore gamers who will snap up any piece of hardware that promises to be faster. Most consumers are better off waiting until more games get patched for the new system, and until Sony figures out its 4K media strategy.

http://www.usgamer.net/articles/playstation-4-pro-review
The PlayStation 4 Pro is for those gamers who want just a little bit more performance from their games. It's the same folks who likely have gaming PCs, but realize that games like Uncharted 4, The Last of Us, and Horizon: Zero Dawn aren't ever making the jump to PC. The Pro is for the folks who quibble about things like checkerboard 4K not being real 4K or spend hours messing with color calibration. Those tweakers who hunt for the right presentation on PC. This is your option on home consoles.

https://www.cnet.com/products/sony-playstation-4-pro/review/
THE BOTTOM LINE The PlayStation 4 Pro doesn't show major, noticeable improvements in the handful of games we were able to test early, but that could change with titles coming in the months and years ahead.

pushsquare.com Impression video
Sony's played it smart here: the PS4 Pro does not fundamentally change the existing PS4 experience – it merely adds a layer of icing and places a cherry on top. Enthusiasts looking for the best PlayStation visuals will want this box – but no one is being left behind.

clueless cnet.

- The Last of Us Remastered
Extremely subtle improvement in image quality with PS4 Pro, but no noticeable frame rate or performance increase.

Native 4K is now an "extremely subtle improvement" I guess. lol.

darkwing

Their review doesn't even list what titles they did try out unless I keep missing this info.

its in the 2nd page
The Last of Us Remastered
Extremely subtle improvement in image quality with PS4 Pro, but no noticeable frame rate or performance increase.
HDR provided noticeably brighter highlights.

- Shadow of Mordor
Better frame rates and slightly improved visuals on PS4 Pro.
No HDR support.

- Call of Duty: Black Ops III
No noticeable improvements on PS4 Pro.

- Infamous: First Light
HDR support not very noticeable (on both PS4 and PS4 Pro).
Pro update provides a better frame rate/higher resolution toggle in options menu.

- Battlezone (PSVR)
Slight improvement in frame rate and visual fidelity, and text was easier to read in the Pro version.

- VR Worlds (PSVR)
Crisper presentation in menu room.
Tough to notice differences in each of the mini games.

Kurdel

Banned
Time review said BF1 was detailed and glorious, despite the patch not being out according to Eurogamer.

dracula_x

from Eurogamer article

jBb9eIf.png

also this

f8JMf37.png

pswii60

Really!? HDR on First Light just on my standard PS4 is jaw-dropping on my C6 OLED and comparing to HDR switched off is night and day. Perhaps they need a better TV to test their games on.

Look at the PS4Pro launch the same way you liked at the base PS4 launch, tech and performance wise. The first round of games never go full Cerny.

Cardon

Considering my old PS4 literally melted in a house fire, I'm perfectly fine with picking up a Pro even if it's not a huge leap currently. Things should no doubt get better in the graphics department mid next year if not earlier.

shanafan

No early adoption for me. Being a current PS4 owner, too early to guess what will happen in the future - and I even have a 4K HDR-enabled TV.

But.. an enticing bundle may sway me.

Scrawnton

I read a few of the reviews and it seems like it's this: if you're obsessed with a perfect consistent resolution and a bump to framerate, then buy it.

If you're not concerned with that and you already have a PS4, then wait.

If you don't have a PS4 and want to buy one, then buy this.

I go back and forth between Xbox and PS4 a lot and the resolution difference between the two is not a big deal for me so I guess the Pro is not meant for me, even if I do have a 4K tv..

http://www.psu.com/feature/31507/PS4-Pro-Review--Should-You-Buy-Sonys-New-Console

From one lens, PS4 Pro is an unrequited success. There is no element in which it is not the same or better than the standard PS4, and some of these upgrades aren’t minor. 4K gaming (if not native, near enough to pass for it) is a small revelation--a visual treat that pops right away and quickly sets in as the new normal. . . .

For a first-time PS4 buyer with a capable display, PS4 Pro earns our strongest recommendation as the new gold standard in console gaming. For everyone else, the picture is more complicated and PS4 Pro starts to move into “luxury purchase” territory. . . .

From a VR perspective, PS4 Pro really has yet to show its hand. I feel like much was made of Pro’s existence being part and parcel with PS VR hitting a glass ceiling, but if that’s the case, the rewards have yet to manifest. Far and away, PS4 Pro’s most apparent benefits come via 4K upscaling, 4K rendering, and marginally enhanced visuals. Frankly, PS VR owners who are targeting the Pro for VR benefits alone should wait for more of them to manifest.

R3TRODYCE

Hmm doesn't seem like a big enough bump to me but maybe Horizon will be the game that makes it worth a buy.

atomsk

Party Pooper
start sending in those corrections to Jeff Bakalar on the Giant BeastCast lol

"If you have a PSVR, then the PS4 Pro provides a noticeable improvement"

That's pretty much the only reason I'm keeping my preorder

xabbott

I'd recommend reading the reviews. The Gamespot quote shown here doesn't really represent it well and has similar conclusions to other reviews.

With that said, I can't stop wanting one even though it offers nothing I'm interested in right now. Maybe once Horizon comes out...

Lol accurate.

Nah, it's not negative....just like stated in the OP..

It's poorly conducted. Negative would mean that they tested everything they possibly could with at least some decent explanation and found that their test welded no specific difference....

That entire article was like "we saw no difference. It's makes no sense."

It was lazy and poorly constructed. Had they went in further comparing details about what made it not so dramatically different, then I'd take it more seriously.

PBY

Banned
I'd recommend reading the reviews. The Gamespot quote shown here doesn't really represent it well and has similar conclusions to other reviews.

With that said, I can't stop wanting one even though it offers nothing I'm interested in right now. Maybe once Horizon comes out...

Yeah that Gamespot quote doesn't really reflect the tone of the review

Xater

Hmm doesn't seem like a big enough bump to me but maybe Horizon will be the game that makes it worth a buy.

At least not unless you own a 4K TV. The improvements might be bigger with future games. Seems like something to look out for. If I did not already have a PS4 picking up a Pro seems like a no brainer.

Really!? HDR on First Light just on my standard PS4 is jaw-dropping on my C6 OLED and comparing to HDR switched off is night and day. Perhaps they need a better TV to test their games on.

Yeah, I saw it being played at a PSVR demo event a few weeks ago, and the difference with HDR on was very apparent. Admittedly that was being played on a 70" 4KTV - so like you say, maybe CNET's hardware wasn't good enough to take advantage of the improvements.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
If Op is not mature enough to even provide neutral descriptive links to reviews, we'll be glad to give the thread responsibility to someone else

Top Bottom